New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Will I get sued...

So, I have an idea for a Sci-fi story, and one idea I would love to throw in:

"The first interstellar human vessel named for a person, The Roddenberry."

Question stands: Do you belive I would be sued by the appropriate corporations?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Will I get sued...

No. You can't really copyright someone's name.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Please don't take my words as certain, but as I recall there's no problem as this is a name and not a trademark. The only ones who could say something would be his family, but as you are not talking about the real life of the real person(meaning: telling rumours about Gene) there'd be no real approach for a sue.
    (Seen from the points of german law, but I expect other western countires laws to be comparable.)
    My opinion, but I'm sure you'll get answers from people who know more facts about it.(Big forums do have advantages ).

I support copyright/privacy rights generally, but I find it sad how the rampaging of some law firms during the big internet hype in the ninteties(with attempts very arguable from the legal point) made many people very insecure about what they still can say anyway.

Sorry, just a personal intermission. As said, I don't see problems with your reminiscence.

EDIT: And someday I will learn the way of the Tinsoldier to just state a correct fact in one sentence and so not getting simu'ed...
    Last edited by faerwain; 2006-12-04 at 07:03 PM.

That's Axel, the noble bandrowdy and his female side
    Thanks to Dispozition for the fantastic Axel/Alexia-avatars
    Great Faerwain-avatar by Tomb Raven
    Deep bows to Ceika for Faerwain the Triumphant

Middle Ages' most beautiful side- brought to you by the Digital Age

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I'm not a lawyer either, and I forgot to consider the trademark angle.

Still, for a story, I don't think it would be a problem.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I think you're allowed to use real peoples' (real) names. Stage names are iffy, but an honest name isn't copyrighted. Otherwise the census board would get angry.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Generally-speaking, the fact that you would think to do it and most of us recognise the reference would imply that his name is a part of (geek) pop-culture. Well, geek and popular in the same sentence may be considered an oxymoron...

In any case, it is a name. In many ways, it is a homage to a man who inspired you and the space-faring characters of your book. If it ever got to be a problem, you would get a nice cease-and-desist letter. They can't just sue you straight off, they have to ask you to change the name first.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    So, I have an idea for a Sci-fi story, and one idea I would love to throw in:

"The first interstellar human vessel named for a person, The Roddenberry."

Question stands: Do you belive I would be sued by the appropriate corporations?
    You probably will be sued
    Will you loose? i dont know, i'm not lawyer
    I think its a good idea you talk to the family of the guy you want use the name asking for permition to do that. Explaining all the situation, if its a fan site or a comercial site, if you will give some money to them, ...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielf View Post
    You probably will be sued
    Sorry, I'm disagreeing there. It's not a brand name, it's the name of a public (and dead) person. I'm quite convinced no court would accept such a sue in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall View Post
    I think you're allowed to use real peoples' (real) names. Stage names are iffy, but an honest name isn't copyrighted. Otherwise the census board would get angry.
    Yep, that's the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielf View Post
    I think its a good idea you talk to the family of the guy you want use the name asking for permition to do that. Explaining all the situation, if its a fan site or a comercial site, if you will give some money to them, ...
    That's of course a good suggestion, friendly asking for the beginning should always be a good way. But don't offer them money without really being asked I don't see much of a right to getting paid on their side.

But instead of further desperately trying to look smart with my half-knowledge(I just can't resist posting as I find the subject interesting) I will a) try and find my private law documentaries to see if I have something useful or, if that doesn't help, b) give your question to a friend of mine this evening, she is studying laws. I might also raise your subject at my university, we have law teachers specialized in media laws (and therefore also the international handling of them, so that the answer will apply to you), but that might take a little time. But I understand that your story is not yet in printing, right?
    Last edited by faerwain; 2006-12-05 at 07:20 AM. Reason: place, case, what's the difference?

That's Axel, the noble bandrowdy and his female side
    Thanks to Dispozition for the fantastic Axel/Alexia-avatars
    Great Faerwain-avatar by Tomb Raven
    Deep bows to Ceika for Faerwain the Triumphant

Middle Ages' most beautiful side- brought to you by the Digital Age

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    I'm quite convinced no court would accept such a [suit] in the first place.
    Don't be so sure...

Have you never heard of http://www.stellaawards.com/ ?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Sorry, I'm disagreeing there. It's not a brand name, it's the name of a public (and dead) person. I'm quite convinced no court would accept such a sue in the first place.
    I'm sure Roddenberry's estate would disagree with you.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett