Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS death pool (thread #4)

Let's go with Malack

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

I'll keep my bet on Kilkil.
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2013-03-03 at 10:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    heh. Twenty minutes earlier and you'd have one shiny point.
    Except that that post was 12 hours ago, so they do, in fact, have a shiny point. And I'm jealous. Malack shall pay for his actions.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I'll stay with Uncle Geoff

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'll maintain my bet on Belkar. I cannot see improvement in his situation.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Lawful Good Human Wizard (3rd level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 18
    Intelligence- 19
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 14

7. - Top - End - #37

Is it now necessary to state that you are maintaining your bet? Or is it still implied?
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm going to keep my bet on kilkil, although it seems increasingly unlikely.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Btw, your measure to take points is broken.

Assume two people, one predicts A will die, the second predicts D will die.

Now people in the comic die in the order A, B, C, D, E, F. When A dies, the first person picks B. When D dies, the second person picks F. At the end, both people have the same number of points (2), but D has been wrong four times before his estimates died, while A was much better (two in a row).

You need award negative points for being wrong or your way of taking track will lead to results that do not represent the quality of the vote. Or create some other setup.

I suggest you award 10 points for a death at the point when the vote is cast first. For each character that dies in between then you subtract one point, which means a character will be worth if it saw 10 characters dieing without kicking the bucket.
    If someone decides to join in later on a character, he gets the reduced points as well. Simply because if you join in later, more story has happened and you do not deserve a chance to as many points as someone who picks a fresh character (as you already saw "Durkon not dieing twice").

Example:
    I call Roy, who is worth 10 points. But in between die Roy, Belkar, some Side-NPC. If Roy dies now, he's only worth 7 points, as he saw three dead in between.
    In my above example, Player 1 would have 20 points (A died with 10, B died with 10), but Player 2 would only have 11 (D died with 7, F with 4 (assuming all characters A to F were picked at the same time).
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

10. - Top - End - #40

Only the first person to name the victim should get a point. Otherwise it just encourages holding back your vote until you've got good evidence for it.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    Only the first person to name the victim should get a point.
    This is impossible. There are too few characters for too many people.

Otherwise it just encourages holding back your vote until you've got good evidence for it.
    That is an entirely different matter. I think votes for "fights or encounters that have already started" should not count.
    You can jump in on Durkon if the Order enters the pyramid, but not after the LG has attacked. Note I include "encounters", which means the pre-fight talk with Malack would exclude you from picking Durkon.
    It is also relatively easy policeable as the most current comic at the point of casting a vote would decide if it counts or not. The rule would be: you can only pick a character whose party is not recently involved in any sort of conflict.
    You currently could not pick Roy or Tarquin. Both are not on screen but their parties are involved in an encounter. You could very well pick Hinjo, Xykon Celia.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'll go for Malack now. Btw, does Sabine's reaction to Holy Word count as death?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

YES!!!! I won 25 qvumsels. I'll drink 'em all up and then figure out how to win more.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by VanaGalen View Post
    Btw, does Sabine's reaction to Holy Word count as death?
    Of course not. She is banished for 24 hours, not dead/destroyed/forever unable to come back.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post

That is an entirely different matter. I think votes for "fights or encounters that have already started" should not count.
    You can jump in on Durkon if the Order enters the pyramid, but not after the LG has attacked. Note I include "encounters", which means the pre-fight talk with Malack would exclude you from picking Durkon.
    It is also relatively easy policeable as the most current comic at the point of casting a vote would decide if it counts or not. The rule would be: you can only pick a character whose party is not recently involved in any sort of conflict.
    You currently could not pick Roy or Tarquin. Both are not on screen but their parties are involved in an encounter. You could very well pick Hinjo, Xykon Celia.

I don't really think this is necessary; it makes a relatively simple and light-hearted game needlessy complicated, and could result in a lot of petty arguments. Also, as this series of strips proves, 'late' voting does not necessarily give an unfair advantage; people who bet 'late' on Belkar after strip 870 or Malack after 873 did not gain as a result, and there is always the risk of holding back your bet and being too late.

In other news, I'm going to stick with my current bet of Malack.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sam79 View Post
    I don't really think this is necessary; it makes a relatively simple and light-hearted game needlessy complicated, and could result in a lot of petty arguments. Also, as this series of strips proves, 'late' voting does not necessarily give an unfair advantage; people who bet 'late' on Belkar after strip 870 or Malack after 873 did not gain as a result, and there is always the risk of holding back your bet and being too late.
    I agree with this.

I vote on Belkar for this round.

17. - Top - End - #47

Yeah, blocking characters from getting picked is probably not necessary. I think the way of keeping track of the points is still not telling, though.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm, 2 PCs dying in a row seems unlikely. Although I think Zz'dtri and Kilkil are safe votes, I'm going to go with Malack because I so badly want to see the bastard horribly slain (and his body defiled in the most humiliating way...to prevent his return.)
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Hmmm, 2 PCs dying in a row seems unlikely.
    That's why it might happen.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't think there's any need to make the rules more complicated than they are.

I am not moving my current bet. Even if both Malack and Durkon were likely to let Belkar live now, he still has a nearly-expired prophecy.

21. - Top - End - #51

Given that Durkon just now got Xs in his eyes, I want to make a new bet: I put it down that Belkar is going to be next.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sam79 View Post
    There's another problem with this, which the current situation highlights. Anyone who had picked Durkon now needs to pick another character, but is blocked from taking any member of the Order, or of the current Nale/Tarquin version of the Linear Guild. That doesn't seem fair--they'd be getting penalized for having been right.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Now that Durkon is dead, and I've been proven wrong again, I'd like to:

Remove my bet on Belkar Bitterleaf

and say that Malack is the next to die.

Because of a private theory of what's going to happen next.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Dammit, there goes my lead.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now with a new round of betting, I'd like to chip in on this. Because it looks really grim for Belkar atm. and really well for Malack, I'd go with Malack dying next. Just so my avatar doesn't come true and because, honestly, vamping two characters would be kinda weird...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock Zipporah View Post
    Hmm, now that you mention it, they HAVEN'T been seen in the same place at the same time! Tarquin will no doubt be captured, at which point Elan will pull off his rubber mask and reveal that it was Old Man Hinjo who was behind the haunted amusement park!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belucard avatar by me.

Older sig quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    Let's not let a little thing like facts get in the way of interpretations.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

An interesting idea, this. I'll vote on Belkar.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just popping in to say that I'll keep my vote for Zz'dtri.
    "Everybody's got a price." - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasMink View Post
    Just popping in to say that I'll keep my vote for Zz'dtri.
    Pretty much this.
    In which threads did people consider my responses to be readworthy? Why, a good question, here's an answer.
    How would Redcloak kill Tsukiko
    The sad fate of YukYuk

29. - Top - End - #59

AssassinGuy

With Sabine banished and big battles in the near future, I'm changing my vote to ... well dang, Malack is going to get away, I agree that two PCs is unlikely, but that far out there are a ton of variables. I'm going with Belkar.

30. - Top - End - #60

Woo woo! Point for rgrekejin!

Question: If Durkon becomes a Vampire, can I bet on Durkon again, in this case my wager being that the undead Durkon will be destroyed, like how a bet on Xykon or Malack would work?