New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS death pool (thread #4)

Oh, man, I've been in mourning for Durkon for a bit and haven't felt like posting, but I think I'm finally over it enough to switch my vote to Tarquin. Going with a long shot.

(But I really HOPE it's gonna be Malack. Snake Boy needs to go DOWN. ...Maybe I'm not quite over it. )

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is it allowed to bet that Malack and Belkar are both going to die both next - if not in the same strip then within a maximum timeframe of three strips total?

If not, then I'm putting all my money bragging rights on Malack.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

I would like to change my bet to Malack as well.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Is it allowed to bet that Malack and Belkar are both going to die both next - if not in the same strip then within a maximum timeframe of three strips total?
    Nope. See rule 2.

If not, then I'm putting all my money bragging rights on Malack.
    Done.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ok...I'd like to change my vote to something kinda ridiculous. I bet that Hinjo will be the next to die.

Spoiler
    Show
    Essentially, I'm betting the longshot that Hinjo's rush back to camp in previous comics isn't just to throw them a sending spell warning of Xykon. He's going to have them scried and then teleport himself along with some nameless soldiers as reinforcements. Then, he will die during the struggle for the gate in a suitably dramatic fashion.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    Ok...I'd like to change my vote to something kinda ridiculous. I bet that Hinjo will be the next to die.

Spoiler
    Show
    Essentially, I'm betting the longshot that Hinjo's rush back to camp in previous comics isn't just to throw them a sending spell warning of Xykon. He's going to have them scried and then teleport himself along with some nameless soldiers as reinforcements. Then, he will die during the struggle for the gate in a suitably dramatic fashion.
    Interesting idea, but I doubt Hinjo is that foolhardy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Daemon

Call me a crowd follower, but due to someone dying, we can change bets made before the death yes?

I change my bet from Dark Elf Z to Malack. Durkon has to learn to be a vampire on his own.

Also, do you think we should make it so that only recurring characters death's count? I have the suspicion that the Cameo may die before Malack.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Call me a crowd follower, but due to someone dying, we can change bets made before the death yes?

I change my bet from Dark Elf Z to Malack. Durkon has to learn to be a vampire on his own.
    And, done.

Also, do you think we should make it so that only recurring characters death's count? I have the suspicion that the Cameo may die before Malack.
    Yeah, that's not explicitly in the rules, but I agree it should be. I figure a sensible way of doing it is, we only count it (for the purposes of changing bets) if either A. the character has at least 10 appearances or B. someone has bet on the character. Do other people think that's sensible? If no-one objects, I'll go and add that to the rules later.

(BTW, the most frequently-appearing characters with no bets, as of right now, are Roy, Redcloak, the MitD, O-Chul, and Lien.)
    Last edited by Sniffnoy; 2013-03-24 at 07:43 PM.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'd like to bet on Nale.

He's outlived his usefulness now that they have Durkon, who knows everything he does, and more, and who can't (currently) lie or mislead them. Also, Malack probably still wants him dead.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I am putting down 50 qvumsels on Nale.

He's surrounded by enemies. Many of them in his own group.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'l bet on KilKil. He's the weakest person in the area right now.
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.

12. - Top - End - #102

HalflingRangerGuy

Zz'dtri. He's served his narrative purpose in teaching V to think laterally and has absolutely no other disclosed purpose (unless Drow become one of the Nine Sides for some reason), not to mention is not far from a hostile group that wants to kill him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

13. - Top - End - #103

I'm going to get off the bandwagon and change my own bet to Nale.

14. - Top - End - #104

PirateGuy

I'm tempted to vote durkon and go two for one on him, but I suspect nale does first to Tarquin or malak. So nale.
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Too close. It was too close...
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

Heh, I was about to bump this one anyway (because it's been a long time and I figured people might want to place new bets with the reintroduction of Xykon and Redcloak), and then I saw today and thought I'd have to actually update it again. ("Why have both character deaths occurred while I happened to be away from home?") I was certainly fooled.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I was going to say Mr. Scruffy (I except he'll die before Belkar and Belkar is on the short list for sure) but I think I'll go with Nale. He's being sent off with Malack and Durkon, and I doubt Zzditri is going to lay down his life to save him if things go sideways. And Sabine isn't around to watch his back either. Also, he's kind of filled his purpose, and has no loose threads to tie up except maybe a rivalry with Elan, but eh, the rivalry with Malack takes precedence imo.

18. - Top - End - #108

GreenSorcererElf

I can't quite picture Nale dying separated from Sabine, and Malack would never consent to raise him, so I'm guessing Zz'drti will be the next to go. His only well-defined character motivation seems to be revenge on Vaarsuvius, which won't last him the way Nale's status as a contender (albeit a feeble one) for the Gate Race does. And really, Nale is an A-lister, much as we may be loathe to admit it; he's influenced the plot greatly, and he has had some development as a character. He can still go places, just as much as Elan can.

As for the good guys, I don't see another Order member dying at this Gate, when only one died at Soon's, so I'm guessing Belkar makes it through this arc. Is there any special reason to expect him to die here, and not at Kraagor's Gate? The sheer volume of speculation makes me feel as if I missed something.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, putting aside the prophecy (which made him a pretty safe bet before Durkon died) he's currently floating at 1d3 con and probably been level drained besides. So Scruffy likely wouldn't have any trouble taking him out in a single round of attacks like that poor bastard he disembowled back at the arena. Given the danger he's currently in with AoE deathmagic flying everywhere, there's a significant risk he dies in the near future even if he were being exceedingly careful.

20. - Top - End - #110

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    Well, putting aside the prophecy (which made him a pretty safe bet before Durkon died) he's currently floating at 1d3 con and probably been level drained besides. So Scruffy likely wouldn't have any trouble taking him out in a single round of attacks like that poor bastard he disembowled back at the arena. Given the danger he's currently in with AoE deathmagic flying everywhere, there's a significant risk he dies in the near future even if he were being exceedingly careful.
    Yeah, but the prophecy's been out there for hundreds of strips, and the drumbeat for his death has been going on since way before his encounter with the vampires. Surely not even this forum can have maintained a Death Watch on the halfling for the entire arc so far without just giving up and waiting to see? I say this as someone who didn't start following the forums until shortly before the Giant got injured, so I'm kind of making a historical inquiry here. How long has this been going on, exactly?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Yeah, but the prophecy's been out there for hundreds of strips, and the drumbeat for his death has been going on since way before his encounter with the vampires. Surely not even this forum can have maintained a Death Watch on the halfling for the entire arc so far without just giving up and waiting to see? I say this as someone who didn't start following the forums until shortly before the Giant got injured, so I'm kind of making a historical inquiry here. How long has this been going on, exactly?
    I would strongly suspect since strip 331. But as far as personal experience goes, I joined the forums around the time of the LG fight in the EoB, and not only was there speculation going on then, but speculation that Belkar would die in his arena fight with "Evisceratus" had just ended.

So yeah, pretty much nonstop.
    Last edited by ti'esar; 2013-05-05 at 10:34 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I would strongly suspect since strip 331. But as far as personal experience goes, I joined the forums around the time of the LG fight in the EoB, and not only was there speculation going on then, but speculation that Belkar would die in his arena fight with "Evisceratus" had just ended.

So yeah, pretty much nonstop.
    Wow. Apparently the capacity of this board to obsess over various plot minutiae knows no limits. Not that it's wrong to have theories about an important character death, but the sustained immediacy of the speculation is really something. Madness of Crowds if I've ever seen it.

23. - Top - End - #113

I think there was some talk of Belkar's time being up during the fight with the Bug slavers, and there definately was when the spice-covered Belkar attracted that big worm thing in the desert (to which, I admit, I contributed). Some of this speculation (the giant worm, the arena, the set-up of the fight with Malack) was obviously done deliberately by the author; knowing that two of his main characters have a death prophesy, the author has taken pains to trail/tease the death of the one with the short time limit on that prophesy (i.e. Belkar). Then when the other character who was who was marked for death (Durkon) gets killed first, the surprise/shock is that much greater. Well, that's how it seemed to work on this reader, at any rate!
    Last edited by sam79; 2013-05-06 at 09:43 AM.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Put me down for Malack, please.

I was almost going to call Zz'dtri, since he's pretty much the most expendable character around at the moment, having already seemingly fulfilled his purpose within the story - but he serves as a reason for Qarr to show up, and I don't think we're going to be rid of the little imp just yet.

So Malack. Because we want our Durkon back!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Do those of us who voted for Belkar, Mr. Scruffy, or Xykon get i point for the imaginary deaths?

(this question is only 18% serious)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Three deaths in one (double-panel) strip. Lots of points going out, none to me.

My bet is on Durkon, and I'll hold my horses at least until the next strip to see if I change.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Colossus in the Playground

1) No points are going out; no one actually died.
    2) You can't change your vote until someone dies.

28. - Top - End - #118

Yeah, nobody actually died, no points are being awarded, in case that wasn't at all clear. I'll add it to the rulings section to prevent any further confusion.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

OMG. I do feel stupid now. I probably have a horrible save against anything like that. The illusion/enchantment got me as well.
    Last edited by declinator; 2013-05-09 at 06:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Put me down for Belkar.