New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 54 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Return of the Scarlet Empress II - Nothing on My Back...

???

"A revolution is upon us, Nexus in flames...and a girl bearing jade trinkets is crying. The thought that the mighty are still human may be amusing."

The woman bears herself regally, physically close to Isa and yet distant at the same time.

"A friend or a lover?"

Black Ice Shadow

"A full explanation would take some time. Suffice it to say that while I am indeed Ghost-Blooded, I am no deathknight; rather the opposite. I try, as best as I can, to keep Creation safe from those who would do her harm."

The newcomer has a soft, quiet sort of voice, the sort that causes one to strain to catch each word.

"Your sister and I both went to Thorns in search of information. Unfortunately, we are being pursued, and she sustained injury along the way. There is a ship at the docks that will take us to where healing can be found."

The burns over the Wood aspect aren't like anything Zhou's seen before. In fact, calling them burns might well be mistaken; there is as much frost as fire in the wounds.

Spoiler
    Show

With 1 sux...they're not burns. That's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Return of the Scarlet Empress II - Nothing on My Back...

Orchid's Apartment

Eris listens carefully, parsing the resonance of each soft word. Then she breathes in, and steps back, boots crunching on glass, lowering her daiklave - albeit not sheathing it, not yet. "All right. You're with the Sidereals? If so, we have directions to their ship."

She glances around the shattered room. "Did you do this? And if so, what were you after? I have some paper prayers for healing, if you wanted to try, but I'm neither a physician nor a priest."

The little Solar swallows as she looks down at her sister, and then quickly away. Dragons, those burns. But Zhou is good at first aid, and the Ghost-Blood has a plan, by the sound of it.

"And don't call me... people know me as Orchid here, or Eris."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-02-25 at 04:24 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Black Ice Shadow

He starts at the name "Sidereal."

"How did you learn that...it is unimportant. But yes. I am Black Ice Shadow. Chosen of Saturn. As for your name...I do not understand that custom. But Eris or Orchid it shall be."

There is a slight bow.

"As for the room...your sister was most insistent that we retrieve you, either to request aid or to ensure that there would be no reprisals against your person. As you were missing, I attempted to find a record of where you would be this night, with...mixed results."

"Her wounds, unfortunately, were caused by an agent of Oblivion; she was unable to heal herself with her craft. Nor am I able to heal such wounds with my own. These are injuries beyond the reach of most gods."
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-02-25 at 04:38 AM.
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

One corner of the little Eclipse's mouth lifts in a faintly bitter smile. "You're a Sidereal and you don't understand why I don't use my Dynast family name?" She shakes her head, just slightly.

(Although Shadow doesn't seem especially surprised by her caste mark, and if Firi told him that much... well, that suggests a fairly high degree of trust. It would be good to know that her sister doesn't have to fear reprisals from the Sidereals, at least, for her association with a Solar.)

"And ah, I see. Tonight has been... unpredictable. Do you know about the revolution? Anyway, if you're done here, then yes, let's get moving." Eris glances around. "There's nothing for me to retrieve here, I always had to be ready to run on a moment's notice. Or... well, almost nothing." A hint of some complex emotion flickers in her green eyes, and she lays down her daiklave and steps out onto the balcony, returning a moment later with a lush red flower and a few seed-pods in her hand. Her brief glance at the Sidereal dares him to comment, as she tucks them into the pockets of her coat.

"Anyway. I can't heal such wounds either, and the Wood-Aspected Immaculate master in Nexus was unmasked as akuma earlier tonight, so getting to this ship sounds like a good idea. There's a god I know who might help, but he's not in Nexus. We ran into Typhon earlier - I hope we haven't led him to you, but I couldn't see a way around it, I don't have means to spot Day Castes who are trying to go unseen."

She considers for a moment, and then goes over to kneel beside the Wood Aspect. A hand reaches out almost reflexively to brush her sister's dark green hair away from her face. "Can she be moved safely?" The question's addressed to Zhou, but she glances up at the Sidereal as well. "I can carry her. If Typhon finds us... Zhou, I know you said you were low on Essence, but you're still better in combat than I am."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-02-25 at 05:36 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes."

Cold stone walls at her back prevent Isa from leaning away. The stranger's closeness is off-putting; not threatening, exactly, but distinctly uncomfortable. Too tall. Too close. She feels vaguely like a cornered animal, or... well, a child caught crying. Foolish. She should have hidden herself better. But... she finds anger inside her too, warring with embarrassment. Who is this woman, to intrude on her so?

"Are you here just to laugh at me?" she asks stiffly. "What do you want?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

"As best I can tell, yes." Zhou says, finishing his examination and frowning. "I've... never seen wounds like those before. Granted, my medical training extends only a bit further than the field corpsman level, but even so..."

He shakes it off, and carefully picks Firava up in his arms, the coiling flames that surround his body barely even touching the Wood Aspect. He glances at this... Black Ice Shadow. "Another Sidereal? Dragons, that's what, four of them in one night? Bah. Come on, let's go."

Spoiler
    Show
    Zhou has the best Athletics, so he'll do the carrying and potential running away at speed.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2013-02-25 at 05:08 AM.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"All right." Eris rises to her feet and picks up her daiklave, again resting it on her shoulder. "We're aiming for the Nexus Pool, fifth pier west of the Brood Market canal, should be pretty close to due north of here. Does that line up with your directions, Black Ice Shadow? If we're forced to split up... Zhou, keep the Guild Tower on your left and you should at least get to the Pool."

One last glance around the room. It's been a good home. She's grown a great deal here, slowly learning how people live without the threat of death hanging over them every day - the good, the bad, the amusing, the bewildering, the heartbreaking. Sunrise over the Parko Llana, and red flowers in the springtime...

Now a chaos of broken and shattered pieces, with the smell of ash hanging in the air. Seems appropriate.

Eris carefully, almost reverently picks up her sister's jade powerbow, and slides it into her coat pocket. Then she walks back out to the stairwell, and leads the way down to the street.

Spoiler
    Show
    She will also lock the door behind her once everyone else is out, if she still has a door after Shadow got through with it
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    "It isn't that I don't want her dead," he says. "It's that I am considerably less proficient at slaughter than you are, and she has access to more elaborate backup than we currently do."
    Skandi continues to walk towards the docks. "Chimes. They have an out-of-essence Celestial Akuma and a how-many-motes-do-you-need-to-regenerate-your-spine Terrestrial Akuma. We have an out-of-essence Celestial Exalt and a not-out-of-essence Celestial Exalt. I think it's a fair fight, I just don't think I can convince you of that, since you're keeping the secret techniques you learned during your ten times my Exalted life in reserve."

"And while I probably should not need to remind you, the Sidereals are not to be trusted. Their treachery is as certain as the Argent Protector isn't."
    Skandi nods. "It looks as though they have internal divisions that might be exploitable - and by that I mean I think one I ran into was either a better manipulator than you are, or wanted to stick a knife in boss - but that doesn't mean I trust him. If I was a Sidereal, I wouldn't trust any Lunar, even one that had helped me in the past, for fear of vengeance, even if he looked at his boss the same way you and that ultrabarbarian faction look at each other. I'm a Lunar, and I don't trust any Sidereal that tried to wipe us out. They did it once, they can do it again, and that means I shouldn't let any Sidereal into my pack and should, instead, distrust them as a force of evil traitors. Which I do."

He sighs. "Was that the speech you were planning to give? Because I know it already. Anyway, do you have any plots I should know about that are likely to lead to an angry Lunar-hunting mob showing up? Because I need to go rescue some people. Also burn Thorns to the ground with holy ire. I mean fire. I mean both."
    Last edited by Aevylmar; 2013-02-25 at 11:20 AM.
    R.I.P. Skandi the Wolf of Return of the Scarlet Empress

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

Friendplug: Arpista Editing!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Chimes

"I've always thought it wise to keep something in reserve," Chimes agrees. "If you're in a fair fight, or if there is an unknown chance of losing, then something's gone horribly wrong. Alternatively, there is a great potential benefit to doing so, but in this instance, the life of two akuma is not worth the risk of my own."

"As for keeping the Pact informed...I acquired some leverage on one of those Sidereals. I predict that for the next few months, at least, Nexus will be free from Sidereal interference."

He nods sagely at Skandi's final words.

"Do tell me when you plan to march on Thorns, Skandi. While I won't risk joining you personally, I do have a number of favors that I would call in to rid the world of that blight."

Black Ice Shadow

"Four? Who would the other two consist of? I contacted Emerald Stormwrack, but I do not know any others currently in the area. "

He draws his daiklaves, then, absently spinning their hilts, in preparation for any unexpected guests.

"I do not know of this revolution, I fear. We entered Nexus through the Underworld.

The door closes on Eris's apartment, and with it, a chapter of her life.

???

"Many things," she says, a faint smile upon her full lips. "Some are more likely to occur than others."

"And I would hope that one like yourself would know better than to sob like a child. Acknowledge what has happened, and then seek to balance the scales in your favor."

The woman stares at Isa for a long moment.

"Tell me what the good Symphony of Chimes is forcing you to do."

It isn't a question.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Cinnabar District

"The other two are called Isa, and Child of Steel and Ruby - Chosen of Saturn and Mars respectively, I believe. Stormwrack's working with them, Isa gave us directions to the ship."

"As for the revolution - Exalted infernalists trying to take over Nexus using bribed and mind-controlled mercenaries." Well, that's getting more succinct with practice. "Zhou and the local Cleansing killed their leader, and another of their Exalts died in the fighting, but there are still at least two akuma out there - the Wood Aspect I mentioned and a Lunar. We fought the Lunar, but she ran away." Eris grimaces slightly. "The Full Moon we were working with went after her, none of the rest of us had a hope of keeping up."

"The mercenaries are likely still out there too - we took down a few hundred at one of the Councilor's estates, but several companies were subverted - but if we see them I think our best bet is just to run, unless they're blocking our path to the docks. Armored mortals tend to be slow."

Stepping into the street, she adjusts her grip on her daiklave, staying close to Zhou and his precious burden. "Right. This way. I'll try to keep us out of the main streets, but I think speed is important."

Spoiler
    Show
    If it's at all possible out of combat, defending other on Firada. If it's not, no worries.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

"I've always thought it wise to keep something in reserve," Chimes agrees. "If you're in a fair fight, or if there is an unknown chance of losing, then something's gone horribly wrong. Alternatively, there is a great potential benefit to doing so, but in this instance, the life of two akuma is not worth the risk of my own."
    "And that's where we disagree. The reclamation of one Exaltation for the Silver Pact is worth the death of two."

"As for keeping the Pact informed...I acquired some leverage on one of those Sidereals. I predict that for the next few months, at least, Nexus will be free from Sidereal interference."

He nods sagely at Skandi's final words.

Do tell me when you plan to march on Thorns, Skandi. While I won't risk joining you personally, I do have a number of favors that I would call in to rid the world of that blight."
    He grins. "I've got a Solar who'd really like to get the job done. We probably won't be doing it today, but I can hope we'll manage it within the year."

... "Wait. What did you do? How are you blackmailing a Sidereal? How are you blackmailing ALL the Sidereals? What did you just do?"

"If he's blackmailing one of the Terrestrial faction, the Solar faction will expose it to get rid of him. If he's blackmailing one of the Solar faction, the Terrestrial faction will expose it to get rid of him. And they'll probably kill Chimes while they're at it...
    Last edited by Aevylmar; 2013-02-25 at 04:45 PM.

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Chimes

"My sources tell me that one of the Sidereals here, the girl, is connected to their leadership. I lean on her, and she leans on their elders. As for how I did it..."

Chimes's lips twitch.

"As for how, I'm very good at what I do, Skandi. I don't presume to tell you how to wield a daiklave."

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

13. - Top - End - #13

Skandi sighs, slipping into his serious-negotiator mode.

"He doesn't know. He wasn't there."

"Chimes, what you are doing is possibly a useful tool to kill a Sidereal, but I don't think it's a very useful method to stop Sidereal interference. The girl is the mistress and apprentice of the eldermost Sidereal, yes, but I think you overestimate her influence."

He looks around. There's clearly nobody obviously around, or he wouldn't have said this much, but... "I don't think I'll be able to push Nalis over the line from injury to death tonight, but I have been privy to some very interesting conversations between junior Sidereals recently. If I gave you a full, private report on the four Sidereals I have met in the city, including relations and apparent political situation, would you consider that to make up for the favor you won from me earlier? Several of them are even worse at keeping secrets than I am."

Spoiler
    Show
    And by that, I mean that Stormwrack is even worse at keeping secrets than Skandi is.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Chimes

"I think my leverage is more than adequate."

Chimes's tone is subtly different there, brooking no further argument. His business was his own. And he would defend it.

"I think, Skandi, that you undervalue yourself. I would be happy to pay for that report, in jade, gossamer, or even moonsilver, but a favor from yourself...that is quite valuable."

Spoiler
    Show

Chimes is offering enough to increase Skandi's resources by 2 dots, or a moonsilver artifact.
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-02-25 at 05:23 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

15. - Top - End - #15

Skandi shakes his head. He wants a moonsilver shield, but not that much. "I know how valuable a favor from myself is. I largely failed to accomplish the favor you required; I am offering another favor of equal value - and I do think that my information on Sidereals, which only I or a Sidereal can provide to you, is more valuable than bothering to finish off Nalis, who you could kill by bribing a mortal monk to slit his throat while he slept."

Spoiler
    Show
    Selling Chimes information for anything less than having his debt annuled would violate his Compassion; he'd need to overrule the virtue to do it. He doesn't care about wealth, and any artifacts would have the blood of the innocent previous user on them - and yet being out of Chimes's power is worth quite a lot to him, because it means he's free to befriend people Chimes would want to kill.

But *I* want a moonsilver shield for Skandi.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Symphony of Chimes

"Nalis is a light sleeper; a mortal monk can't do it"

Chimes is casual about his statement, absently brushing off a flake of ash on his jacket.

"...When your business with the Sidereals is concluded, I will want a full report. I believe that you aren't quite finished with them yet."

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

17. - Top - End - #17

Skandi grins. "Well, that's reasonable. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to flee your presence. Nexus is about to be the center of a storm of heavenly wrath, and if it's going to be targeting me, I'd like there to be several angry deathknights that the Sidereals will need to cut through before they can get to me."

Spoiler
    Show
    If Chimes doesn't want to continue the conversation, Skandi is going to speed off over to the docks. If he runs into any armed mercenaries who are pillaging the city and who don't seem to have any supernatural resources and who are in Unordered mass combat formation, he's going to engage them offscreen, whack a few of them with Moonwrath, and then run away once they rout, provided that he isn't wasting much time or starting an actual scene scene that would slow down the plot.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing her own thoughts echoed back at her is humiliating. She should be stronger than this; shouldn't have let herself be reduced to this state, shouldn't have let herself be seen. And yet - what the woman said just a moment ago -

"I'm not ashamed of being human. People cry sometimes."

Isa stands, folding her arms. It makes her feel even more cornered, her back literally up against the wall, but anything is better than huddling at the stranger's feet to be looked down on. After all that's happened tonight, she's not even surprised to find that the woman knows more than she should. Why not? Only one more unpleasant surprise in a night full of them.

"He wants me - and all those like me - out of Nexus. Indefinitely." She tilts her head back to meet the woman's eyes. "Not a price I can meet."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

???

"I will spare you and not pretend that I do not know what 'your kind' is."

Her eyes are arrogant, self-satisfied, predatory...and utterly fascinating.

"I would be willing to intercede with Symphony, and free your lover, in exchange for two considerations. The first is that Burning Waters is to remain dead to all until he announces his presence."

"The second is a destiny that I wish to have laid upon the Roseblack for the next year."

Chimes

"A pleasure doing business with you, Skandi."

He turns away from the other Lunar, and whistles a nameless tune as he walks away.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Isa considers. Nothing in that is necessarily a betrayal; certainly it is more appealing than Symphony of Chimes' impossible price and vague assurances of freedom. For the first, well, there's nobody she planned on telling anyway. For the second...

"And what destiny is that?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

???

"I wish for her to be less accepting of those with authority over her. She was not permitted to attend the funeral of Cathak Cainan. I would have her less blind when following orders."

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Black Ice Shadow

"...Ah."

He seems surprised by the names.

"...I did not expect those two to be here. Especially with Stormwrack."

The streets of Nexus aren't empty, but while sounds of riots and looting blare in the distance, Eris's anima keeps any would-be looters from approaching.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Child

There are many things to discover in the chambers, things that not even the bureau truly knows. Many would be almost manic, trying to discover everything possible in their short time there, but Child resist that urge. He could do it, but haste in an investigation is worthless at best, and often times is detrimental. Better to take things slow, intentionally missing some things, and thus fully explore the areas one can. The Bureau has learned many times that one verified fact is better than 100 half uncovered hunches.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception + Investigation: (6d10)[6][1][1][5][6][9](28) +3
    Temperance Dice(if channel worked):
    (3d10)[9][6][1](16)

Stunt Dice:
    (3d10)[1][10][10](21)
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Child and Lauren

Working meticulously, Child finds a sliding panel in the Emissary's chambers, and the hidden catch to open it.

Inside a small secret compartment, neatly folded, lie a long white robe, and a plain, featureless silver mask.

Spoiler
    Show

Two die stunt. Stunt succeeded.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's gratifying, Eris supposes, the way the streets clear before her. Make the mighty what the once-meek dread, but there's no need for Elegance's corruption here: they can see what she is, and it seems like even the scum of Nexus' streets are smart enough not to block a Solar's path. Fear may not be the same as respect, but it'll serve well enough for now. It means that any stranger approaching them is very likely an enemy, and a dangerous one; no need for restraint.

She leads the group down a side street, snaking around through a small square with a fountain that bubbles in blithe unconcern for the chaos around it; a little further west than the direct route, but this way is flatter, and with fewer rooftops with good vantage points for snipers.

"Mm. Stormwrack was quite unpleasant, toward Isa. I gather he's less than impressed with her... associations." She's not looking at the Sidereal; her gaze flicks across the street ahead, noting alleyways and flat rooftops, fitting what she sees into her mental map of the area. "But you work with the Cleansing, like Isa, I gather?" For just a moment, her eyes stop their methodical scan of the streets, flickering to Firada, before returning to their pattern. "Does my sister know you're a Sidereal? Or what Sidereals are?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Pokepokepoke let's throw out some comments/questions of varying levels of vagueness and see what happens.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Black Ice Shadow

"On this occasion, yes. But I rarely work with the Terrestrial Host; few of the Dragon's Blood are capable of surviving in the Underworld for extended periods of time and I am not favored by those of the Bronze. I serve Fate and oppose Oblivion, little more."

"I went with your sister and four others in the form of a Child of Hessiah; an ambush killed the other four, and in saving her, I revealed that I was not a thing the Immaculate Faith had included in its dogma. But what does...Eris know of the Five-Score Fellowship?"

"Incidentally, Typhon's favored weapon is a reaper daiklave, forged of soulsteel. It is not the archer on the rooftop but the sword in the back that you should watch for."
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-02-25 at 11:35 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"Did you find anything?" Lauren calls casually, not looking back as she (badly) searches.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

A mask. Simple in design, at least aesthetically. But he doubted it was that simple. Oh, it could be a simple mask, and the powers of the Emissary unique to that personage, but Child doubted it. There was too much power, and too much mystery. Their are ways of piercing normal masks, but no one had ever pierced His mask.

An artifact...that could do it. Child mentally cursed for a second: he almost, almost wished that Emerald was here, to see deeper into the mask than Child could. Oh well, he might not be able to magic out an answer, but he could push physical observation to it's limits.

Oh, hiding certainly wasn't His only power. But the mask...it kept any other question from being answered. So many questions, even with the resources of Heaven at their disposal. And now he might cross one off the list. He might not be an Oracle, but their thirst for knowledge wasn't uncommon in the fellowship.

He absently answers Lauren's question, running a finger over the top of the mask before turning it over with the same finger.

"Yeah.

I found something.
    "

After a few seconds, he even moves to pick it up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try this again.

(6d10)[5][9][10][7][6][6](43)+3
    Conviction Channel: (2d10)[5][9](14)

Stunt Roll:
    (3d10)[10][4][4](18)

Motes
    Personal:8
    Perriferal :0/37, 4 committed, possibly minus one more.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2013-02-26 at 12:00 AM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Child

The mask is made of a material unknown to the Shieldbearer; some sort of composite material. It feels smooth and slightly cold to the touch, and the oils on Child's hand smudge the plain surface before vanishing entirely.

It's surprisingly light for its metallic appearance, too. There doesn't appear to be any sort of strap or way of affixing it to a face that he could tell, so it was probably an artifact of some sort. An Old Realm inscription, written on its interior across the forehead confirms Child's theory.

We all become what we pretend to be
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-02-26 at 12:24 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Streets of Nexus

"Thank you for the advice, and I'll try to keep an eye out, but I'm watching for hirelings and informants as well. Honestly, I suspect my chances of spotting Typhon himself are low." Eris' voice is clinical, merely acknowledging a fact. "If you have suggestions for avoidance, though, I'd be happy to take them; I'm just trying to get us to the Lucky Starr by merely the third-most-obvious route. But it's been a long time since I've tried evading a deathknight and you clearly have experience." She does think for a moment, though, and then cuts through a small park, leading the group out into an area of slightly wider streets and taller buildings. Harder for a blade to strike from the shadows, easier for an advantage of numbers to tell.

"As for what Eris knows..." She laughs softly, humorless crystal chimes. "It's been a busy day. I've been told many things, by people who believe them to be true. But I can give you the list, why not?"

She pauses for a moment, forcing the anger back. "Understand, Black Ice Shadow, I'm grateful for what you've done for my sister. She must trust you, to tell you where to find me. And you say you oppose Oblivion and seek to protect Creation and you believe it's true... so fine, you get a fairly substantial benefit-of-the-doubt from all that, and certainly between you and the deathknights, I know whose side I'm on."

"But still - 'serve Fate'? Is that the same as seeing that Creation runs properly? That's how Isa characterized her job, around the same time she was explaining how the Immaculate doctrines are so convenient. For dealing with the occasional little silver and gold problems that crop up, presumably." The diminutive Solar's voice sparkles like ice in the sun, so cold beneath the surface brightness; her smile matches it, as she continues. "I didn't previously know there were a hundred of you. Poetic name."

"I've been told you work for the Bureau of Destiny and the Maidens. That after the Great Uprising, and the exile of the Lunars, your elders created the Immaculate doctrines as a means to control humanity, and to ensure the preservation of a status quo that suited their interests. I've been told you defend Creation from all threats, and count any Celestial Exalts who aren't you in that category, and the Dragon-Blooded as pawns to be used and discarded. Although at least some of you think the Cleansing is inefficient, and weakening the Realm, and oppose it for that reason." Her tone is soft and dispassionate, but every word carries a razor-edged sharpness, honed to cut deep. Yet she doesn't pause, half-running half-walking onward toward the Pool, the words punctuated by the tap of her footsteps; and her gaze is never still, darting from point to point, and back along the street as she glances over her shoulder.

"What I know... well, that's always a harder question, isn't it? Want to tell me what you believe, add another data point to the list?"

That word Bronze has come up before; Child mentioned it, in association with Chejop Kejak. Gold, silver... well, there's an obvious possible correlation. Inner circle, or...? Hmm. Let's see what if anything he'll volunteer. How much does it matter to him, what I think? How devoted is he to his ideals, and how quick to defend them? You can learn a lot about a person or a situation, from the answers to questions like that.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-02-26 at 01:16 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show