New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Return of the Scarlet Empress II - Nothing on My Back...

Zhou shrugs. "Fine by me. I intend to do my best to stay quiet and not reveal just how little attention I paid in the divinity-related classes in the Academy."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Skandi, another question, you didn't see Risa did you? I asked if she could help with the akuma but I was rather anticipating her having at least one Lunar ally."

Surely Risa knows the Wind-Carried Words Technique. So if she hasn't replied it likely means she's still recovering, and unlikely to be throwing herself into suicidal fights with akuma. Eris hopes that's the reason; the Wood Aspect was useful, earlier.

She glances at Zhou, amusement crinkling her eyes. "Oh, you had classes? You're ahead of me, then."

The Solar falls back slightly, level with the Fire Aspect, waving Shadow ahead. "Are you sure you want to come, Zhou? You said you'd help me rescue my sister, but once we get her to Yu-Shan - she might still be in danger there, but if so, I'm not sure how much either of us will be able to help. I have to leave Nexus, but you don't, and your own people will be showing up in a few hours..."

Shadow might object, assuming the you in bring you and several others along included both of them. But she doubts the Sidereal would resort to force.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

3. - Top - End - #63

Zhou doesn't reply for a long moment, before making up his mind and speaking in a low voice. "I'm sure. She isn't safe yet, and until she is, my job isn't done."

There are other reasons, of course, but this is neither the time nor the place to speak or even really think about them.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skandi shakes his head, deliberately ignoring the byplay between Orchid and Zhou. "I didn't see her, but unless she recovered quite a lot in the last five minutes she's not in shape to be fighting anything."
    R.I.P. Skandi the Wolf of Return of the Scarlet Empress

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

Friendplug: Arpista Editing!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The pause gives Eris time to wonder. She's not sure which answer she wants. On the one hand - the slaying of a Terrestrial is a lesser offense - Zhou might very well be safer staying in Nexus, even with Typhon bearing a grudge against him. But on the other...

It's only once the Fire Aspect replies that she realizes she was holding her breath. She lets it out slowly, and nods. "If you're sure."

"... thank you."

For a moment she considers - but no, she needs to save her Essence in case Typhon does turn up. (Or sends someone else. He is a diplomat, after all. She's trying not to think about certain possibilities along those lines, lest capricious fate overhear her.)

Instead, the Eclipse glances to Skandi. "All right. Although... five minutes? Skandi, you're fast, but not that fast. I make it well over an hour since we saw Risa, unless you ran into her in the meantime. Or am I misunderstanding?" A momentary sprint forward brings her level with Shadow again, and she waves toward a nearby side-street. "We can cut through there..."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-01 at 12:43 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

He rolls his eyes as, still in beastman form, he follows Eris. "I was doing that figurative speech thing. Are we ready to go grab that boat and say hello to Heaven?"

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"There are important differences between five minutes and one hour, Skandi. Remind me not to ask you to handle scheduling; 'in the nick of time' is heroic but lacks precision." Eris' tone is idle, but then her voice grows more serious. "And yes, we should be getting close. Keep an eye out; if Typhon knew where we were heading but not which route we were taking, setting an ambush at our destination might make the most sense, assuming limited resources. I still have a couple of things I'd like to take care of in town, but I want to make sure Firada gets to the ship safely first. Presumably we'll have to wait for Isa and Child and Lauren, anyway."

For a moment her brow furrows in concentration and the soft golden glow of her gown fades into nothingness, as the layers of silk sublimate away. The street becomes a little darker, as the Eclipse's garb shifts to a cloak, shirt and trousers of softly blended grays and browns and blacks, merging easily into the shadows. She reaches up to check the headscarf wrapped around her forehead, and to pull forward the hood of her cloak - "Is my caste mark still showing?" The light around her has faded, at least. The caste mark takes longer, from the few times she's tested it, but she's not sure how long it'll shine through any covering, or how long it takes to fade altogether.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anima goes down at the rate of one level per 20 minutes; starting from 11-15, it should at least be down to the 4-7 level now (assuming it's been 10 minutes+ since we left Orchid's apartment), maybe the 1-3 level if it's been half an hour since her apartment (so an hour since the fight with the akuma). In either case it should basically just be her caste mark that's shining; at the 4-7 level it'll be shining through any concealment, at the 1-3 level it can be hidden.

In any case, assuming Stealth is no longer made completely impossible by her anima, switching the IRA down from the App-7 level to Subtle Mode.

She may regret this if the Emissary shows up and she has to try to talk, but she's aware we're getting closer to where Zhou left the Cleansing, and she really doesn't want to get into a fight with them.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-03 at 03:51 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Child freezes for a moment, but Lauren's comment snaps him out of it.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know if I can trust you. Too many things have happened with the implication that the Emissary was somehow not a problem. How do we know you are who you imply yourself to be?"
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Who indeed. A nice cryptic parting, notes a tiny professional part of Isa's mind. Well-timed. The vanishing trick is especially good. (She waves a hand through the air where the woman stood, testing to make sure she's really gone and not merely unseen.) What did she mean by that? If "we" referred to the stranger and Isa, it tells her nothing. Not that she can see, anyway. Maybe it's just a way of refusing to answer: who do you think you are to ask that, girl? Maybe. But if "we" refers to her and Burning Waters...?

Nocturnal, Symphony of Chimes called him. Perhaps he hadn't realized what he gave away. The name suits Burning Waters, with his mark of indigo and mantle of starless night. Isa has no idea what it means - Luna is the goddess of night, and she already has her Chosen - but it suits.

Well. If the stranger's word can be trusted, Burning Waters is safe. Not a certainty, but a much better chance than she had five minutes ago. And yet...

Looking back, Isa can't help but wonder if she's done something very foolish. Just a tiny little destiny - on one of the most important people in Creation. Oh yes, nobody in Yu-Shan is going to look askance at that. Tepet Ejava's slim chance of survival might be the same as her slim chance of starting (and winning) a civil war. Hundreds of thousands dead, the Realm thrown into chaos with only an uncertain hope of renewal after the destruction. And for what? Personal reasons. Isa would risk her own life for Burning Waters - she already has - but she hasn't the right to risk this. Even if she finds some way to reconcile this with her duty to Heaven, even if she persuades Chejop and the Bronze that the Roseblack ought to be kept safe from her elders, even if it turns out to be the best thing for everyone, the fact remains that she agreed to do it for Burning Waters first. Everything else is justification after the fact.

And that frightens her. A minute ago Isa said she wasn't ashamed of what she felt, and that was true. (A little embarrassed at being caught displaying those feelings so nakedly, maybe, but that's not the same thing.) What she is ashamed of is that she's being selfish. She would never have risked this for any other person, no matter how pleasant or virtuous.

She is very much afraid that she is becoming a liability for the Bureau of Destiny, and for Chejop Kejak.

But what choice did she have? Losing Burning Waters would be... painful. Worse. She wouldn't literally trade the world for him, but she can't just sacrifice him on the altar of duty either. She has no one else, except Chejop, and that's different. If she'd refused, then - what? Maybe leaving Waters in Symphony of Chimes' hands for a little while would not have killed him. Isa can't keep the Five-Score Fellowship out of Nexus, but Sidereals are discreet, and it would've been easy to pass a warning on to the Gold Faction: Lunars in Nexus are watching, keep your head down. Not a promise of safety, but a chance. Maybe that would have been enough. Provided that Chimes didn't feel like waiting too long before making his next demand. And provided that she could meet it.

No, better to have him free. She only hopes the price isn't too steep.

After a few more minutes to settle herself, Isa rises and makes her way to Maren's quarters in the shrine.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #70

Skandi smiles at Eris in a manner that is both fanged and sheepish and keeps an eye out for Typhon.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Emissary's Quarters

"Really, Sidereal?"

She takes another step forward, reaching for the mask.

"Your paranoia is interfering with my duties. Give me my mask back. It is not yours to reserve for who you see fit."

Isa

Maren's quarters are small and nearly austere. Nearly, because though the room is sparsely furnished, the rooms in an Immaculate shrine are designed to remind their inhabitants of one of the five elements.

Black Ice Shadow

"A little."
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Lauren takes another step backwards in time with her, towards Child.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"Paranoia? How is it paranoid to be wary of the revolution of which all the principle members have not been killed? Which had some means of disabling the Emissary? It is not paranoia to be worried about Siaka in bloodsoaked waters, but it is stupidity to ignore them."

Child takes a deep breath, still holding the mask.

"What did the notes say? Either one. Then I will give you the mask. Unless you are the Emissary, if you do have your power, you may strike us down, but I will die knowing I did not help Creation's enemies, did not help Nexus's enemies."
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Emissary

She snort, rolling her eyes.

"Really? That old trick? The answer is that there aren't any notes, clearly. Now, give me my mask, and I might just forget who you are."

At their response, she sighs, and her shoulders slump.

"...Okay. You got me. I'm not the Emissary."

She looks at the mask Child holds with undisguised longing.

"...but it was just such a tempting target. I just...had to. It's gorgeous, and wonderful, and like nothing I've ever seen before. I can tell it's unique even from here."

The Docks

As they approach the pools of Nexus, they see a green light, minute and faraway, that might be at the end of a dock. As they continue to get closer, the light begins to flicker, and soon enough, it fades from sight.

They hurry towards the dock, then, and the moonlight illuminates the small battered junk known as the Lucky Starr, decrepit and derelict. Upon its deck lies the crumpled form of Emerald Stormwrack, blood seeping from multiple wounds. Standing over him is Typhon, idylly sharpening his blade on a whetstone. Every few seconds, a drop of blood drips from his forehead onto the metal, and he is forced to begin again.

"Really?" he says as the Sidereal painstakingly reaches out to pull himself away, inches at a time. "As much as I love breaking people, this might just be a bit much. The only reason why I haven't killed you is yet that the sight of your filthy form futilely fleeing is just so amusing. Honestly, what are you trying to accomplish here?"
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Child
    "It is tempting. But the cost likely isn't worth the price. I must ask, if you aren't the Emissary, who are you?"
    Satomi by Elagune

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

???

Her expression turns defensive as her body shifts away from Child and Lauren.

"I'd like some sort of promise that I won't be killed first, if you don't mind? Given the circumstances we're in, all of us are probably violating the Dogma, but I'd really rather not have to dodge the actual Emissary and the Bureau of Destiny?"

"...I'll tell you what. The cute one with the cards can hold one up to my throat, I'll touch the mask and try to figure it out, a little, and I'll help the Bureau get some information on the Emissary, since you're just as curious as I am. It won't be much, but it'll be something. Everyone walks away a little satisfied, and nobody gets hurt, audited, or killed."

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

"We won't kill you out of hand. Though I'd also like to know where you've heard about the bureau from. Not many can claim such information."

As he says this, he holds out the mask, though with a very firm grip.
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

???

"Not a mortal," she says, nearly leaping upon the artifact.

Her hands touch the mask, and she sighs at the sensation, edging even closer to Child; the two are nearly nose to nose, the mask between them.

"Oh yesss...I could study this for hours..."

"Starmetal," she says eventually. "Alloyed with silver. It's a mask that was part of a mask but then got broken so it fell. Oh, this is a beauty...those essence channels are like nothing I've ever seen before..."

Slowly, she steps back, and releases the mask, her fingers lingering over it, reluctant to part.

"But anything further," she says, her tone returning to something more demure and professional. "I'll need to do at my place. Figuring out what it does, and such."

"I'd also like an apology for being mistaken for a mortal. I know I've let myself go a little, but I am not merely mortal-pretty just yet, okay? I worked for Humanity, I know how pretty they get."

It was true, technically speaking. Some Elders looked better, but as far as aesthetics went, the woman was on the level with the Raksha.

Spoiler
    Show

With this information, and his Backing in the Convention of Wood, Child recognizes the newcomer as Shalrina, Daimyo of Masks.
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-03-10 at 01:24 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Docks

For a split second Eris is still, her eyes fixed on Typhon and the wounded Sidereal at his feet. Memory, treacherous memory, of another night, and another deathknight, and another bloodied victim...

Stormwrack doesn't matter to her - indeed, there's a spark of satisfaction in watching him crawl, remembering their earlier interactions. Her lips curve in a faint smile at filthy form futilely fleeing; whatever else Typhon is, he has a knack for words. The memory of that decade-ago night's love and terror is a lie, here and now, even as it quickens her heartbeat to the rhythm of war-drums and sends a jolt of adrenaline along her nerves.

And yet... not disconnected. Not while Firi's healing might depend on the Sidereal sorcerer.

So a split second later the Eclipse steps back into the shadow as quietly as she may, glancing to Skandi and Shadow and mouthing the names Typhon, and Stormwrack, the latter with a quick finger-slash across her throat that doesn't quite complete. Instead, her fingers twist downward like a hook; ware the baited trap, that gesture had meant, a long time ago. Firi would've understood - will Shadow, having worked with her in Thorns? Who knows...

The step turns her toward Zhou, and she holds out an arm, wordlessly offering to take her sister.

Zhou is a trained and experienced soldier, as she is not. His greater chance to reach the supposed safety of the boat is no longer an advantage. And he's already proved his skill and enthusiasm for killing Anathema, tonight.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Skandi's joining battle and charging as soon as he sees the situation, so not doing very much here; this description is justified by (a) Eris was leading the way, since she knew Nexus better than the others, (b) Skandi has Perception 1. All I'm trying to achieve mechanically with it is, "Eris can take Firi off Zhou's hands, if he wants, so he can charge in too".

Maugan, Eris isn't going to wrestle Zhou for Firi if he wants to hold onto her, she's just offering - but if one of them is going to largely sit out this fight due to guarding the unconscious woman, I think both IC and OOC that it's better for it to be Eris. Zhou has much better offensive charms and should've gotten a bit of Essence back in the walk over (plus the stunt on attacking Shadow).
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-10 at 03:18 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

Zhou nods, and carefully hands Firada over to her sister. Then he cracks his neck, draws Aurora, and nods to Shadow. A quick gesture, easily interpreted - circle round, while we draw his attention.

Then he steps out onto the docks and begins walking towards the Lucky Star, Daiklaive held loosely in hand, eyes fixed on Typhon. His voice is light, and carries well.

"I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to back off there, Sir Typhon." he calls to the Deathknight calmly. "I don't think I can call that poor bastard a friend, but I'm somewhat fond of him at least."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Typhon

Who? There wasn't anyone important to be signaling to...

"Ah, Master Kharal! It is good to see you again."

Emerald ignores Typhon, continuing to crawl away as quickly as possible. This was still not very fast.

"I'd consider your request, but I'm afraid that the good Master Stormwrack and I are busy having a difference of opinion; this is no concern of Lookshy. And I would hate for your career to come to an end for attacking an ambassador. Hold on a moment, would you?"

Typhon takes two steps forward, and lashes out with a boot to the stomach; Emerald cries out in pain, curling into a ball.

"Is that the good Eris with you? I'd advise you to hand over the White Rose, Kharal Zhou. She has been tried and convicted for murder, espionage, theft, and conspiracy. In the name of justice, I would ask that she be turned over to me."

Spoiler
    Show

Now we get some nice moral conflict for Zhou. Compassion and Valor both move him to act, but his Motivation towards Lookshy might tell him that he's got to yield to Typhon.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

22. - Top - End - #82

"I refuse." Zhou says casually. He stops at the base of the ramp leading up to the Lucky Starr's deck. The White Rose has asked for sanctuary from her pursuers, and I have decided to grant that request. Simply handing her over... no, I'm afraid that's not really an option."

Well, technically, it was Orchid who asked for my help, and even that was mostly implied. But Firada's unconscious right now, and her sister is a direct blood relative, so that works.

" And as the highest ranking... and as far as I know, only surviving Lookshyan officer in this city, it is my decision that matters in this case. You are of course welcome to go through official channels to request that my superiors overrule that decision, but until they do, you cannot have her."

He shrugs. "I'll admit, I'd rather not fight you. You are an officially appointed ambassador, after all, and I'm somewhat tired to boot - you probably noticed the totems earlier? Lunar Akuma. Rather dangerous. So I'd appreciate it if you would depart, and we can resolve this another day."

He doesn't really expect Typhon to back down, honestly, but he has to try...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Docks

Firada bundled over her shoulders in a fireman's carry, Eris watches and listens. Her lips purse slightly as she regards Stormwrack with the same cool assessing gaze she turned on Isa earlier. Honestly, Stormwrack, what are you trying to accomplish here? Just trying mindlessly to escape the pain?

A fool and a sot, she'd thought him earlier. Competent, in his areas of expertise, and dangerous by virtue of that competence and his alliances; either her enemy or less-than-careful with others' secrets, and in either case, not to be trusted.

Zhou implied she'd misjudged him, though.

So she stays in the shadows but circles to the side a little, absently noting alleyways and other avenues of escape, and studies the pattern of blood-spatters on the deck, and the line of Stormwrack's gaze and his attempts at movement. If he intended to use the junk as an escape route, it's possible there's more to it than meets the eye...

Spoiler
    Show
    Just trying to figure out if Stormwrack has a goal at the moment beyond "put more distance between me and Typhon". Can I do this by a read-motivation-in-the-scene action? Perception+Investigation seems like the right pool in any case.

So, firing Mastery of Small Manners on the chance he has Perception+Socialize 6 or less (wound penalties might apply?), and rolling a mundane Perception+Investigation as well (to study the scene and Stormwrack), while Zhou and Typhon chat.

Perception+Investigation: (6d10)[9][8][7][2][10][9](45)
    Possible stunt?: (3d10)[3][9][7](19)
    EDIT: Whoo, 6 sux! 7 sux if that became a 2-die stunt.

(I have a possible way to figure out exactly what he's after if I know he's after something, but trying not to burn motes until I have a sense of whether he has a purpose here or is just trying to move away from the source of pain.)
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-10 at 11:51 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"I try not to be blinded by the pretty." says Lauren dryly. "Too many deathknights, insane lawgivers and crazy, baby eating shapeshifters look like supermodels."

Spoiler
    Show
    Supermodels probably don't exist in Creation. So... insert a cultural simile there?
    'look like the mona lisa' would work for us. 'Looks like (famously hot dragonblood)', '(famous work of art)', whatever, you get the point. xD
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2013-03-10 at 12:57 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

The Docks

Stormwrack gasps for air, bare chest shuddering with enormous effort...

Wait.

When they first met, Stormwrack wore a crude crystal on a leather thong. Now he isn't. A second later, and Eris spots it, lying on the deck, the leather cut through and splattered with blood. Judging from the patterns of blood, Stormwrack's been dragging himself towards it the entire time.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

26. - Top - End - #86

Autumn had once explained to Skandi the idea of personal stealth; That one would sneak up on enemies and kill them while they were distracted. Skandi had thought it was silly. Yes, trickery was a good thing, and ambushes were useful, but learning how to be sneaky just seemed so superfluous.

After all, he could always do - this.

One moment, he was around the bend in the alleyway, listening. The next moment he was next to Typhon, blade swinging.

"Hey, Deathknight. You just spent your second chance."

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if this is technically a surprise attack (well, surprise attack followed by regular attack - flurrying is good) triggering join battle rolls from everyone else, or if it's just a join battle roll.

So I'm rolling both.
    JB: (7d10)[2][8][10][3][4][4][8](39)

Roll for Surprise: (6d10)[9][2][1][1][5][10](28)
    Attack 1: (13d10)[6][10][4][2][1][5][3][10][3][10][6][2][7](69)
    Speciality: (2d10)[4][4](8)
    Stunt: (3d10)[9][2][3](14)

Attack 2: (12d10)[10][9][3][2][2][7][10][1][9][1][1][3](58)
    Specialty: (2d10)[10][6](16)
    Stunt: (3d10)[3][4][8](15)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"You're the first to mention mortals here, not me."
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Shalrina

She shrugs off his comment, and crosses her arms.

"Are we done here, Shieldbearer?"

Typhon

At the last possible second, Typhon ducks out of the way of Skandi's blow, while his scimitar shudders at Moonwrath's impact, his defense holds.

"A blasé Lunar, a battered Solar, and a broken Sidereal."

He smiles at the three of them, and beckons with his free hand.

"Should be...fun."

Spoiler
    Show

Join Battle!

(8d10)[5][2][5][10][1][9][7][3](42)
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-03-11 at 01:43 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Docks

Oh, now look at that.

A scatter of light, wedged between two of the rough wooden planks. A desperate gasp of air choked with blood, starlit green eyes fixed on an unattainable goal mere feet away. I know your heart's hope, Emerald Stormwrack... now what shall I do with it?

But the exigencies of this particular situation require practicality. Her sister's slow heartbeat pulses next to her ear, counting out the moments of her life.

Zhou's words register, in some part of her mind below the surface. His courage, his caring, so blazingly bright. His willingness to risk his reputation and career to save Firada, to pledge his strength and Lookshy's name to her safety. And why? Because you told him her story. Because you asked...

But the world seems distant, a thing kept under glass for study. And in the back of her mind those words - like everything else - are noted without much emotion, and then filed away in the column of Reasons to keep Zhou on your side.

As Skandi moves from the alleyway in a flash of viper-fast silver blade, the Solar moves in counterpoint - silently, except for the scuff of her soft boots on the damp and faintly fishy-smelling stones - toward the small boat-shed closest to the junk. A corner, there, where a river-wall borders the Pool between piers; a shadowed spot with cover from two sides, nearly three. A place to lower Firada to the ground, where she can stand at bay to defend her, should it be needful; she'll be much more effective at turning blows away from her sister when she's free to swing her sword.

(... if Zhou does not betray her. If the best choice is not simply to run now. Skandi could delay Typhon, and if she can find the Cleansing, Sar and Pell would help protect Firi...

... but they won't be able to heal her.)

The clash of moonsilver and soulsteel is noted, and set aside. It does not figure into the geometry of the problem she's now calculating: the angle of the junk's deck, the distance to the blood-stained leather thong, the remaining strength in Stormwrack's arms and the degree of desperation in his eyes. Her gaze remains on Typhon, though; it's foolish to turn your back on a Day caste, and no need to give him clues.

The Eclipse arches a finely-drawn eyebrow at the Ambassador of Thorns, her smile barely visible in the moonlight. "Speak for yourself, deathknight. I note that I'm not the one bleeding."

She resists - with some little difficulty - the urge to add, And I think your count is wrong.

Spoiler
    Show
    Join Battle!
    (2d10)[4][10](14)
    Possible stunt: (3d10)[7][7][6](20)
    EDIT: 2 sux, 3 sux with 1-die stunt, 4 sux with 2-die stunt. Could be much worse!

Since I will undoubtedly be slow, Eris is doing reflexive moves as described in the post. She's trying to stay clear of Typhon, albeit moving toward the junk. If my editing of scene elements above worked as desired, she should have a reasonably protected spot to put Firi within five-ish yards of the deck of the junk; unless she has to run away, I think this approach makes more sense (in terms of keeping Firi safe and not putting stress on her injuries) than trying to do stuff on a battlefield with both hands occupied holding an unconscious person.

If at any point Firi is attacked Eris will be doing her very best to take the blow on herself instead.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-11 at 02:19 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Typhon

"No. But your sister is."

The deathknight chuckles, and fades from sight. The waters of the dock ripple, and the junk bobs up and down. There is no sign of the Day Caste, no sign of Typhon.

Is he that noise, so close to Eris? Is he the smell of the grave hovering around Firada? Where is the deathknight?

There is the whistle of a sword, finely honed to a razor's edge, sweeping through the night air.

And it is met by the ring of steel on starmetal. From the shadows around Firada comes Black Ice Shadow, tattered purple scarf wrapped to cover his face, eyes twisted in hatred, his blades crossed in defense against Typhon's unseen attack.

"I see you, Wink of the Storm's Eye."

He shoves his blades forward, and there is the scuffle of boot upon wooden dock. Black Ice Shadow steps, and becomes cold, emotionless. His is the inevitability of death, untainted by the crude mockery of the Underworld. Life and death, and nothing between the two.

His form glows in dark purple, his features cast into shadow save for the sign of Saturn upon his brow. He waits, patiently, for Typhon to come once more.

Spoiler
    Show

Typhon: activating Charm, flurrying an attack

Attack:(12d10)[9][9][3][10][10][8][9][8][6][4][6][2](84)

BIS: Defend Other triggered, Charm, Form-Charm

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2