New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Return of the Scarlet Empress II - Nothing on My Back...

Black Ice Shadow

"I...ah...collect poetry. For when I don't have much to do, and need to pass the time."

He reaches into his breastplate, pulls out a thin red volume, offers it to her.

"Since you didn't come here with much."

Firada

"I thank you, Ireva-kun, for bearing Remembrance in my stead. I reclaim it once more. Rise."

Firada moves her legs as well, slowly, and stands on unsteady legs. She grasps Remembrance , and the air fills with the scent of roses as her own anima binds to the daiklave.

Firada's the first to break formality. Of course she is; she's had to deal with monks, and the Immaculate Faith. Ireva had an endless parade of social gatherings, of propriety and looks and glances in an endless dance of decorum.

"Iri," she says, her tone faintly teasing. "You still have to name her."
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Lauren and Shadow

She blinks, and actually blushes slightly as she takes it.
    "That's... so very kind. Thank you."
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

"And once you have, I hereby officially challenge you to a duel." Zhou says with mock-seriousness. "Where we shall see once and for all whether your claims of being a better than me with a sword are actually justified."

He pauses, then picks up the bottle of wine and hands it to Firada. "Chances are drinking the rest of that will heal the rest of those wounds. I have no idea what it is, but I won it from a Sidereal who seems to know his drinks, so it should work." Another pause, slightly lengthier this time. "Also it's apparently horribly illegal for Terrestrials to have, and I have no intention of walking through the gates of Yu-Shan carrying it."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ireva

Ireva rises at Firada's word, and her smile grows even brighter, almost giddy with wonder, as her sister stands as well and the sweet scent of her anima blows through the air.

When Firi breaks the formality of the moment, Ireva swallows hard, and then laughs. "You're right, I do, don't I? If I'm her first bearer." She looks down at the blade, still not quite believing, and makes an experimental pass through the air. Light as a breath, swift as the fall of lightning; the sword feels like an extension of her hand.

She looks back up at Firada. "I think... I'll have to think about that for a bit. Naming such a wonder shouldn't be rushed." She carefully slides the enormous daiklave into her coat, and then steps forward to throw her arms around Firada and hug her tightly. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! She is amazing, Firi." She pauses. "You are also amazing, but should probably lie back down."

The Eclipse belatedly looks at Zhou, then, and gives him a rueful smile, faintly tinged with dismay. "Dragons, Zhou, you must think I'm a complete wreck. Every time we have a serious conversation, first I end up sobbing over traumatic memories, and then the daiklaves come out. I'll try to get better about that. And sure, I'd be happy to spar. Although after last night, I think I know how a proper Charm-assisted fight between us would go." She casts a slightly guilty look in Firada's direction. "I have been practicing. But Zhou's very good."

The corner of her lips lifts in a half-smile. "Probably a good thing, too. For the record, if I'm being awful, you two both have my permission-in-advance to yell at me, and/or knock me out and sit on me until I come to my senses."

She frowns a little when Zhou mentions the wine's illegality for Terrestrials.

"As for the Sidereals -" She takes a breath, and her tone grows more serious. "Firi, how much do you know about them? You found out about them when Shadow had to flare to help you, I guess? And... what were you doing in Thorns, anyway?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-19 at 09:21 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Black Ice Shadow

"You are welcome."

The Ghost-Blood swings onto his own hammock, pulls out a thin black volume of his own, marked with a strange, twisted circle, and begins to read.

Firada

"Iri, I'm fine. I'm not in the best of health, but I don't need to be bedridden."

She pokes at her shoulder experimentally, winces.

"I know that they serve the Maidens, and that they try to keep Creation safe. Not much more, I'm afraid."

"As for what I was doing...my brotherhood, Black Ice Shadow, and I were going to scout Thorns out. See what had changed. See if the Resistance had rebuilt itself."

She opens her mouth as if to continue, then pauses.

"...Black Ice Shadow hasn't told you yet, has he? What we found?"

She takes the bottle of celestial wine, drains it completely. Her burns vanish, and her skin nearly glows, radiant in Celestial Essence.

"...that was the most amazing drink I have ever tasted."

She pauses again, lost in the sensation. Reluctantly, she shakes herself out of it.

"We found out," she says. "That the Mask of Winters is moving to invade Lookshy."
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-03-18 at 10:46 PM.
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

"What's that supposed to - no, never mind, I don't want to know." Isa shakes her head; now is no time to be diverted by an argument. "Just save them for when you're on deck, please. These rooms are cramped enough as is."

She pauses, forces her mind back to the topic at hand. "So. God of night. That fits. I thought Luna is the god of night, but... Replacement, I suppose. To make sure nobody notices the absence. Would make sense. Anything else you think I ought to know?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

She's a little surprised at the sudden end of the conversation, her blush dying down, but attributes it to the stress of the last few days. She sits on her hammock, carefully opening the red book.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

8. - Top - End - #218

Zhou freezes. There really is no other word for it. He simply stops moving for a moment, raw shock paralyzing his limbs.

A heartbeat passes. Two.

"Well then." he says, ever-so-carefully. "Do you have a time-frame?"

No sense in asking if she's sure - the information damn near got her killed, by the looks of things. No sense in finding Stormwrack and demanding they turn this boat around, or throwing himself over the rail and then making his way back home from wherever he ends up. No sense getting angry, or panicking, or reflexively destroying something.

But oh, things are going to burn.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Emerald Stormwrack

He shakes his head. A small clump of dirt is dislodged from his hair, flies into the darkness.

"Just that this has to stay secret. And that I'll want that oath with the Littlest Solar. And don't tell Lauren. If she knows, I don't trust the Old Man not to pull the thoughts out of her head."

Black Ice Shadow

The first page of the book is a haiku.

You only live twice:
    Once when you're born
    And once when you look death in the face.

That, she quickly finds out, is one of the more cheerful poems in the volume.

Firada

"Two months," she said. "Two months until the Mask re-emerges from the shadowland at Lookshy's doorstep."
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-03-18 at 11:25 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ireva's face drains of color, and her gaze snaps around to Zhou. "However I can help, I will," she says immediately.

"Two months? That's... some time, anyway. Do you know what's setting that timetable, Firi, what the limiting factors are?"

No.

No, it's not going to happen.

She will not let Zhou's city be destroyed like Thorns was. No matter what she has to do to stop it.

But Lookshy is a vastly tougher target than Thorns, from everything she's heard. It's the military heart of the Scavenger Lands, it's fought off multiple invasions from the Realm. If Lookshy falls, so will the rest of the Scavenger Lands - but is the Mask really so strong?

He's had twenty-six years since Thorns.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-18 at 11:13 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

It's not a bad poem, she considers, if potentially morbid. But, from all appearences, that seems to be a running theme with him...

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Firada

"If the Mask wanted to send his armies alone, the time would be much shorter."

Firada's voice is quiet, soft. Both of them know what Thorns is like. What the environment is.

"But that isn't the Mask of Winter's style, to merely conquer when he can terrify. Like the Patchwork Regalia. Two months gives him more necrotechnologic engines of destruction, more ghosts to rouse, more walking dead as fodder for Lookshy's arsenal. Two months for Lookshy to prepare its defenses and for him to laugh as he crushes them. The limiting factor is his ego, Iri. He wants a war."
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-03-18 at 11:24 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

"As you will, Chosen of Secrets." Isa gives a small, moderately sarcastic bow. "But I think you're making a mistake. He wouldn't have listened to you, but he might listen to me when I say we have a better chance of recruiting and regulating one hundred Exalts than hunting them all down, over and over."

"Think on it."
    She opens the door to leave, moving quietly so as to surprise any eavesdroppers outside the door.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ireva nods curtly. Yes, she knows what Thorns is like. She doesn't shiver at the mention of the Patchwork Regalia, she's long inured to those horrors, but something in her gaze becomes a little colder.

But he's had twenty-six years. Why does two months matter, for most of these things? Unless there's a particular "marvel" of necrotech in the offing, some unique horror. Or else -

"... two months for them to prepare their defenses? Then... does Lookshy know? But he can't have meant you and Shadow to get out, unless Typhon was set up; by all appearances he was trying to kill you -" Although it's true she didn't explicitly read his intentions.

"Actually, while I think of it - Firi, pop out the hearthstones from Remembrance? I should resocket them. And hold the blue one for a bit; if anything's interfering with your mind, you'll have a chance to break it."

The Eclipse taps her fingers on the wooden wall of the cabin, thinking. "Lookshy recently declared their support for the Cleansing," she says, in a distant voice. "I've had a few theories as to what caused that. Do you know, Firi? If they could persuade the Realm to send aid, on one hand - but on the other, it's an effective way to prevent Solars and Lunars from helping. The Sidereals told us they can't act in Lookshy."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-19 at 11:18 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225

"Lookshy will never accept help from the Realm. Not unless the cause is truly dire... and we are a stubborn people, so if we ever do admit that, it is likely too late."

Zhou frowns, considering all of this carefully. "It still makes little sense, though. If the Mask arrives through the Shadowland, he'll have to march directly to our walls. There's always at least two whole Field Forces deployed there at any one time, including our siege units in the Third, usually more. And if the Grey Guard are mustered... that's the soldiers who completed the term of duty and then went into non-military professions... then you can add roughly six more to that. Throw in our arsenals, our allies, any reinforcements we summon back from the Redoubts..."

He rubs his jaw. "He has to have some sort of other plan in the works, a way to weaken our defenses. Because if he legitimately believes he's got enough force to take Lookshy in a conventional direct assault, then he's got an army large enough to take most of the East."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skandi does not have very good eyesight. He has known this to be the case ever since he first tried to shoot a bow, at perhaps the age of five, and missed by a mile. Nevertheless, a Lunar who cannot see very well is expected to have some... substitutes.

It is therefore the case that when the joyful shouting died down to a quiet whisper, Skandi could tell that something interesting was going on.

- - -

There was a knock on Orchid's cabin.

"Hello?"
    R.I.P. Skandi the Wolf of Return of the Scarlet Empress

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

Friendplug: Arpista Editing!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Firada

She de-sockets the hearthstones, holding onto the Gem briefly before handing them over to her sister.

"I don't know why Lookshy would join the Cleansing.."

Her voice trembles, and her hands shake as she continues.

"There is something in the lowest basement of the Shackle Maw Penitentiary. Sometimes I heard it howl across Thorns. You think the screams of the dead and dying are normally agony, and they are, but this...I don't know what this was."

"On the last day before we left Thorns, as quickly as we could, I heard it laugh."

At Skandi's knock, she draws Remembrance on instinct, pointing it towards the door.

"Who goes there?"
    Last edited by industrious; 2013-03-19 at 07:04 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

18. - Top - End - #228

A new voice. She's awake?

"Skandi the Wolf; I helped your sister rout an army last night. Pleased you hear that you're up. It sounds as though you may have switched from joyful reunions to tactics, and I might be able to help with the latter."

Fate/Heroic: A homebrew conversion of the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system to the Fate/stay night setting.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Firada

She looks at her sister for confirmation, then calls out once more.

"Come in. We aren't talking tactics, exactly, but any help would be welcome."

Briefly, she brings Skandi up to date.

Emerald

He stays in the cargo hold as Isa leaves, a strange expression on his face.

When a missive arrives from the Bureau, it comes almost as a welcome relief. Reading it over, he nods once, then burns the scroll. The Sidereal opens a trapdoor, and descends into the cargo hold.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Orchid reaches out to touch her sister's arm, offering wordless comfort even as she shivers herself.

If the Mask can smash Lookshy - he won't need armies, to cow and control the rest of the Scavenger Lands. Perhaps the rest of the East.

There could be more to the plan, of course - Lookshy might not be the main target, and this a bluff or feint to cause them to withdraw troops from the Redoubts and their allies - but then why would they pursue Firada and Shadow so desperately? Typhon risked his own life, trying to kill them.

She takes the hearthstones and reaches into Elsewhere to slip them into the sockets of her daiklave; they click into place easily, lambent golden and mirror-silver and ocean-blue, as if they were always meant to be there.

The Eclipse nods confirmation to her sister - "It's all right, Firi" - albeit with a somewhat exasperated glance at the door. What did I say about the term sister, Skandi? But hopefully Isa and Stormwrack are still busy elsewhere.

She walks to the door and retrieves the knife that was wedging it shut, stepping back quickly as Skandi pushes it open. "Firada, Skandi offered his aid in freeing Thorns, last night. He's Full Moon caste. Skandi - Tepet Firada, the White Rose of Thorns, who once led the Resistance there."

She closes the door behind the Lunar and leans against it, waiting quietly as Firada brings Skandi up to speed. Her gaze on her sister, initially a touch concerned, grows less so as she speaks; it seems Firada's grown more comfortable in dealing with Celestials.

"We'll want to tell the others, as well, presumably," she says when her sister pauses. "The Sidereals are barred from interfering in Lookshy, Isa said - and perhaps that's why this Ayesha Ura wants to speak with the rest of us as well, who are not so constrained." A generous interpretation, but possible. "Still, Child called Thorns an abomination, Isa said they defended Creation against outside threats, Shadow fights against Oblivion - I would think they'd wish to help. We're stuck on this boat for five days, but we can still plan and prepare, and they have a lot more information than we do for figuring out what we might be able to accomplish in Yu-Shan."

"But before we get everyone together - Firada, I need to explain about the Sidereals. I know -" She raises a hand as if to forestall a protest. "I know, what you found in Thorns is critical. But we're locked to a five-day schedule anyway, and you need to know this."

"Hidden Exalts, yes, working from Heaven, and they do seem to believe they act to protect Creation. But they can have very different ideas of what that means. There are four of them on board: Shadow who you know, Isa, Emerald Stormwrack, and Child of Steel and Ruby."

Her voice is soft, and precise, and level, as she goes on. "From what Shadow told us, there are two principal factions among the Sidereals, the Bronze and the Gold. The Bronze - assisted the Dragon-Blooded, at least, in the Great Uprising, and the subsequent exile of the Lunars to the world's edge. Maybe you know more, Skandi?"

"They support the Realm, and the Cleansing. Isa is Bronze, and her teacher is... one of those who fought in the Uprising, if my information is correct." There is a slight catch in her voice at that. "Child seems to sympathize with the Bronze but no longer counts himself one of them."

"The Gold -" she grimaces. "Supports the Solars, or so Shadow said, and opposes the Realm. Stormwrack is a member. Ayesha Ura, who holds authority over the East... may be. Shadow said she respects Solars. He himself, as far as I can tell, is of neither faction, more interested in working against Oblivion than internecine politics, and despised for it." Her mouth quirks a little unhappily. "You know how that goes, I'm sure."

Orchid's face grows serious again. "Firada - Isa doesn't yet know about our relationship, assuming nobody's told her since last night, but I doubt we can hide it for five days. If nothing else, now your burns are gone, we look too much alike." She grins. "Not that I'll complain about that!" Her smile fades after a moment. "Isa is perceptive, though. And I'm worried that the Bronze - that there might be consequences if they know how you've helped me. From what I understand, they have plenty of influence in the Realm."

Maybe Firada has this all worked out already. She's always been so confident and so competent, and she doesn't seem concerned about this. Maybe Orchid's just worrying unnecessarily. But how can she help it, when her sister's place in her family and the Order might be at stake?

"I don't have a good solution for this yet. I... want to talk with Isa, about a few things, and maybe we can make a deal. But in the meantime - I wanted to warn you, and to ask if you had any ideas. And it... might be better if you call me Orchid, not Iri. In Yu-Shan, definitely."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-19 at 10:10 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231

Skandi listens to Firada's description, then stares off into space for one long moment.

"I don't know as much about the Bronze as I'd like to... Orchid, should I call you Orchid or Eris or what?"

He shakes his head to distract himself. "The Bronze/Gold distinction is fairly new to me, because the Bronze are running the show. And, so far as the Silver Pact knows, always have been. The Sidereals - and this is what I was told - use the Realm as a puppet state and support the Realm interpretation of the Immaculate Faith as a tool to explain why Solars and Lunars need to die. The Wyld Hunts keep down the only people who could challenge them, or at least force them into the Wyld, where they'll be too busy staying alive to try and get revenge."

He pauses. "Lookshy's support of the Cleansing looks like an excellent excuse for war. All it takes is one representative of Thorns killed by a Lookshy hunt - or, for that matter, one deathknight beaten up and kidnapped by a Lookshy officer - and he'll have an excuse not just to declare war on Lookshy, but even one that might keep the rest of the Confederacy from intervening. It could even get them to try and summon the Realm to war, which aside from ruining their diplomatic position with everyone else, almost certainly wouldn't help Lookshy actually win."

Another sharp grin. "The question is if Elegance was working with the Mask of Winters, working for the Mask of Winters, or pulling the same Let's You And Him Fight trick that the Wyld Hunt tried by setting the Lunars on the Raksha and I try about once a month."
    Last edited by Aevylmar; 2013-03-19 at 10:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"You really think the rest of the Confederation would sit on the sidelines? They'd have to know they'd be next in line if Lookshy fell - and Ephiselle knew exactly what Thorns was like on the inside - and if Lookshy won, they would've just gravely offended the regional military superpower. It seems like a lose-lose decision - I mean, their help might not matter, Lookshy's always been the heart and core of the Confederation's military strength, but I'd expect at least nominal support. Although I... suppose I shouldn't underestimate people's capability to be stupid when someone's telling them what they want to hear, especially if that someone is like Typhon."

"... your last question is very apposite, though. Nice turn of phrase, too." The little Eclipse gives Skandi a small appreciative smile. "Elegance was using soulsteel; I still have his sword, and his boots, and his, er, tongue. I want to see if Stormwrack, or anyone else on board, can figure anything out from them."

"As for names -" She sighs, and leans back against the door. "I do know a couple of other Lunars, besides you and Chimes. They call me Eris Stormcrow, because I asked a No Moon for a deed name, and she gave me that one. It's not a compliment, she was needling me."

"I prefer Orchid, generally. But if you want to call me Eris, I won't object. I did earn it."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-19 at 10:55 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233

He shrugs. "If Orchid's the name you choose, Orchid you shall be. Eris Stormcrow is more of an intimidating-people epithet, like Dragonsbane or Kinslayer, instead of a chatting-with-friends name."

"But politically... There's always factions. Where I come from, there's stories about a famous warlady named Athkara. She would always claim, when she invaded, that she was settling some legitimate grievances - tribute unpaid, or some such - and always give a price at which she would leave. That would be enough to slow a weak government; a king dominated by advisers would have some telling him to pay her and let her be; a republic would always have a peace party and a war party, and the peace party would claim to support her grievance. And allies, who don't want to risk their own lives in the best of situations, would never intercede before the war ended. Even if Ephiselle has the sense to intercede, there's long negotiations she needs to sit through with the rest of the council before she can commit to support Lookshy with anything more than her private funds - and by that time, the war may be over."
    Last edited by Aevylmar; 2013-03-19 at 11:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Oh, I understand the principle. And if the Mask asked a price that wasn't utterly outrageous... yes, that could slow things down. Although if Firada's right about his motivations, he probably won't; he'll want to demonstrate what he can do."

"But self-preservation is a powerful motivating force, and Lookshy's the key to the stability of the Confederation. If he was picking off little city-states, sure - just as with Thorns, the great powers might very well not react until they saw a threat to them. But if Lookshy falls..."

Orchid shakes her head. "Powerful people tend to like stability, because by definition they're doing pretty well out of the status quo. Factions, yes, but where there are points of bipartisan agreement, key foreign alliances tend to be among them." She gives a one-shouldered shrug. "I suppose I don't think the Confederation would sit on the sidelines because Thorns accused Lookshy of attacking one of its deathknights; that would just provide a convenient excuse for something they already wanted to do. And I don't see an obvious reason why they would - although as I said, I acknowledge I may be overestimating the people in question, especially when a persuasive deathknight has had a chance to make his case. While they might not want to spend their own troops' lives, the bulk of their support likely wouldn't be military anyway, certainly not at first - supplies, funds, thaumaturgy? Zhou probably knows the structure of the Confederation mutual-defense treaties considerably better than I do."

"Although - we perhaps need to think about how the situation would've been different, in Nexus, if we hadn't intervened last night. Ephiselle would've been dead, and the new government potentially much less well-informed. And an object of suspicion, at least, for every other state in the Scavenger Lands - including Lookshy - thanks to the attacks on the embassies. Even if the rebellion was crushed, the new Council would've included people who'd risen to power as a direct result of the uprising." And Typhon would have been there to step in, and offer the aid of Thorns...

"Anyway, I think that's a side issue, because as Zhou said, if he can succeed in a frontal assault on Lookshy then the rest of the Confederation hardly matters, and not just because it might all be over before they could do anything. I'll be glad if it turns out to be a primary issue, because it's one that I think will be easier to deal with than the Mask having a new superweapon."

The Eclipse stops, and looks a little sheepishly at her sister and the Fire Aspect. "Sorry, Firada, Zhou. I'm not letting you get a word in edgewise, am I?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-20 at 01:12 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

Zhou shrugs. "I don't really mind. Though I do have to point out that I didn't actually lay a hand on Typhon until he was incapacitated... not that it will help, if the Mask tries using that as justification."

He grimaces. "Actually, if he does try something like that, I suspect the practical response would be to publicly disavow any knowledge of my actions, strip me of rank and put a warrant out for my arrest. They wouldn't have much choice in the matter, especially since I've been seen consorting with several 'anathaema'."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Firada

Firada listens intently to her sister's description of the Bureau. Part of her itches for paper and brush to take notes.

When Ireva tells her about their use of the Realm, she pales.

"...I see. Orchid," the Dragon-Blood says, pronouncing the name slowly, clumsily, with hesitation.

Firada arches an eyebrow at Zhou's lamentation.

"I can think of a few worse fates."

She seems to do a remarkable job of pretending Skandi isn't in the room with them.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

27. - Top - End - #237

Zhou grins. "Sorry, you're right, that sounded rather self-pitying, didn't it?"

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Well, I was going to offer sympathy and a hug, but I suppose that works too."

Orchid smiles, almost precisely matching Zhou's intonation from earlier, when she was on the receiving end of Firada's no-nonsense approach.

"I didn't see any witnesses at the docks, so I'm still hoping we can get away with Typhon disappeared in the fighting. But I suppose you were the only Lookshy officer who survived the night, so if the Mask wants to frame somebody it almost has to be you." She sighs. "You'd think 'consorting with Anathaema' would get a pass when it was to hunt down akuma and stop the overthrow of an allied government - Dragons, even the Cleansing accepted a temporary truce to stop Elegance's allies - but I suppose it depends on a number of factors. How much they want to placate Thorns, and whether Nexus decides to make a point of your heroics in killing Elegance and stopping Waters -"

"- anyway." Not a threat she can do anything about, right now. It hurts to know that Zhou, as well as Firi, could lose what's most precious to him for the crime of not abandoning her. But... they'll cross that bridge if and when they come to it.

She takes a breath, and reaches out to touch her sister's shoulder. "Firi, they know I'm from Thorns already. And you're the White Rose. So leave it at that, to explain how we know each other, and call me Orchid, and I'll call you Firada, and I'll try to talk to Isa as soon as I can? Unless you have a better idea."

The little Eclipse goes to put her shoes on and rapidly run a comb through her hair while she waits for her sister's confirmation, and then reaches for the door-handle. "Shall we go find the others and bring them up to date? I have the artifacts and weapons I took off Elegance and Typhon, I want everyone to have a look at them - and they should know what you told us, Fir- Firada, so we can use this time to plan and prepare. If we're just throwing around hypotheticals, we may as well get everyone's ideas."

"I'll try to roust out anyone who's still in their cabins; we can meet up on deck?"

If there are no objections, she opens the door and goes to check the other cabins. By this time everyone should be awake, at least. She takes the time to focus on her clothing for a moment, adjusting it to a short coat and loose trousers, simple but clean and neat.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-03-20 at 04:47 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone

Gathering people doesn't take much time; the boat has an impressive cargo hold, but save for Stormwrack, nobody is there, and the eldest Sidereal present emerges shortly after, his caste mark visible and anima banner present ("Hit Typhon to keep him asleep" is the explanation he gives, minus his usual vulgarities). At Black Ice Shadow's request, the meeting is held on the deck, as none of the cabins are large enough to (comfortably) hold everyone.

"Littlest Solar's decided to call everyone together" drawls Stormwrack, already lighting a cigar by scraping a match against Zhou's daiklave sheath. "What's she got to say for herself? I could have been spending quality time with meself, for all she knows. If it's because the other Terrestrial has learnt to walk and talk and get offended again, I don't bleeding care."

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

30. - Top - End - #240

Zhou barely even blinks at the casual disrespect for his ancestral weapon. He does, however, pull the hilt sharply into his side, causing the sheathed blade to smack the match out of Stormwrack's grip with not-inconsiderable force.

"The Mask of Winters intends to attack Lookshy." he says calmly, all emotion locked tightly away beneath the surface discipline. "That's what Firada and Shadow were apparently attacked on their way out of Thorns to keep secret. Figured it was easier to let everyone know at once, rather than have this conversation five times."