New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Interesting/Funny D&D Names

Surac, the Winged Aasimar Inquisitor.

Because Suraci was too obvious of a palindrome for Icarus.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had three characters called Gork the Orc.
    For some reason, only one of them had any orc blood.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

This has a long tradition in D&D. After all, we have all heard of Melf, inventor of the Acid Arrow. He's a Male Elf.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    This has a long tradition in D&D. After all, we have all heard of Melf, inventor of the Acid Arrow. He's a Male Elf.
    Not to be confused with Milf, inventor of the Unnatural Lust spell.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Shadowclub "Shadow,Chad,Crush,Kel (My friends like to give him lots of nicknames)" Skeletoncrusher the Tiefling Wizard and His familiar Bippy the Viper.
    DSmaster21: The Dicey Cultist

I apologize if I ramble sometimes my Asperger's Syndrome causes me to talk a lot when trying to communicate. I may also get distracted so I ask forgiveness in advance.

A D12 of The Church of D20

Games: Doctor Who: Adventures in Space and Time, Shadowrun 5e, D&D 4e, Pathfinder, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Assorted Retroclones, D&D 5e.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

First-time players are always a hoot.
    Daggera, the Rogue Who Doesn't Use Daggers.
    Xanten (fairly standard), with his Hawk familiar, Hudson.
    Goldenbell Who Loves Horses (all on the "Name" line of the sheet... maybe it's an elf thing?), with her animal companion Whitemane the Wonderhorse (also all on the name line).

As the Old Man of the group, I took on the role of Paul E. Hedron, Grumpy Cleric.

My all-time favorite is Blastum Heelum, Cleric/Magic-User.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking back at my characters, I somehow managed to never make a funny name... Dang, I guess I'll have to get on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Not to be confused with Milf, inventor of the Unnatural Lust spell.
    *spits drink*

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Warforged Barbarian "R2D20"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Damien 'The Ogre' Winston - aristocratic berserker
    John Littleberries (actually stolen from Buckaroo Bonsai)
    Kaw Kaw - Tengu ranger (but don't call him caw-caw, very sensitive)

My summoner's hook is that in Runelords, he comes up with a catchy nickname for everyone (PCs and NPCs) - smalls, roguely, sluggo, legs, sheriff, slick, chuckles, etc. Hard to keep track of - lots of fun

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

My White Haired Witch is called Jacques. Jacques of Braids.
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

I had a friend who played a half-orc called Olga Hindegard. It wasn't actually her name, she was locked up overnight in jail for being a disordely drunk and when they asked her name to write it down she slurred something that they just interpreted as a name so thats what the character stuck with. I dont recall exactly what she was trying to say, but 'Hindegard' was meant to be 'and a guard'

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And Rary, of mnemonic enhancer fame, who was named that because one of the level titles for magic-users (back when they were called "magic-users", and there was such a thing as level titles) was Medium.

In a similar vein, I once made a character for a Game of Thrones campaign by the name of Ser Visrode.

I was in a one-shot D&D game one time where three of the four players, independently and without consultation, named our characters Phil. We ended up spending half the game making fun of the fourth PC because she wasn't named Phil.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Similarly, back when classes had lists of level-based titles, a friend of mine made a magic-user named Weroff Thaddeus Crowne (or something along those lines). He went by Weroff T. C.. He intended to achieve the "wizard" title, of course.

Had a raven familiar named Quoth, too.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

I once had a D&D character based on Toon rules - Ragnar Rabbit, the Hanna- Barbarian.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

In a paranoia game, I had a character named Di-R-Eya.

In D&D, the funniest names I came up with were both gnomes: Gnarland and his trusty pseudo-dragon familiar, Rhadcliffe, and the slightly annoying Gnaddeus (but you can call me Gnads...why do people always giggle like that? Humans are so strange...)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Hugs Greenly
    Gristle McThornbody

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I remember one campaign where one of the players thought that the DM was taking too long to make the adventure, and so gave his gnome enough names to have his initials be [DM's name].C.O.M.E.U.P.W.I.T.H.T.H.E.A.D.V.E.N.T.U.R.E.A.L.R .E.A.D.Y.

For a one-shot, I once played a character named "Stirdix Con Intwizka." Since then, I have had several characters named "Stirdix" (with some having a last name of "Wizka" due to the fact that it actually sounds OK).
    "There's a dragon horde in those there mountains, just waiting for any adventurer to come lookin' for it!"

FYI: If I use a British spelling for anything, its because English (Canadian) is the default language for my spell-checker, not because I'm actually British.

18. - Top - End - #48

I'm probably going to steal liberally from the Key and Peele East/West College Bowl bit by the time we're out of this campaign. Ozamataz Buckshank is a great name for a halfling sorcerer.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Firbolg in the Playground

I once played Tomb of Horrors with a friend who had a human cleric with the initials H.U.M.A.N.C.L.E.R.I.C. I can't remember his whole name, but I know the first two were Horace and Underhill...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

A couple I've heard:

A fighter named Boris the Strong and Fair. To the front lines, BSF!

Also, the very rare element known as Imadeitupium is a great plot device.
    Words and stuff!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My past characters have included "Untimely Demize", "Dangerously Adequate", "Roaring Bowels", "Yor Farther". The fun with that last one was seeing the DM come up with new ways for the NPCs to react.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You'd better run, or you're gonna die!
    If you wanna fight kiss your @$$ goodbye --
    Santa Claus is gunning you down.
    He'll freeze you in your footsteps, he'll shoot you in the head
    Last thing you'll see is red and white, if you live you're better off dead ...
    Considering there's a popular song about Santa that begins "You'd better watch out...", the parodies really write themselves.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

My list of funny named chars:

I had a warforged called Adam. Adam Mantine. He rocked.

I once made a human monk called Bruce WATAH! (He introduced himself with a punch and yelling his last name).

I once had a dwarf called Hugeno Yesmall. (Huge no - Yes small)

I made a gnome wizard called Sparkles. He had a cat familiar called Sir Pounce-a-lot.

My cousin made a half orc called Khal, so I made another half orc called Drogo. They were brothers.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerloeher View Post
    I had a warforged called Adam. Adam Mantine. He rocked.
    He sounds metal.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #54

In a D20 modern game a few years back, we had a smart hero named Eechi Wang. He was supposed to be a chemistry and computer programming major, but he just ended up being a perverted drug dealer with a funny name. The player was all too happy when he finally got crushed by an undead behemoth.

EDIT: I know this isn't a dnd story, but it was too funny to pass up.
    Last edited by Averis Vol; 2014-06-01 at 08:00 PM.
    A thing I made! The Spirited Blade; warrior of the mind come by and tell me what you think.

May glory flow forever more to The Mad Hatter for bringing Haeros; Master of the Transcendant Style to my avatar box!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

I've got 3:

An NPC in a campaign my friend DM'd- a half-orc shopkeeper named "Uuuuuuurrrrrllll". And if you took less than 5 seconds to say his name, you were mispronouncing it.

A level 20 wizard/archmage I created for a single-session "quickie" campaign: Natherion Elranis Feramilreth Bill the Indomitable. It was the "Bill" that always got everyone. I played him as a snooty gray elf, and since no one could remember his full name, they'd just call him "Bill". He hated it, and it was hilarious around the table.

My current character- see the signature below.
    Current character:
    -Flik Farstrider "Guildmaster of the Azure Avengers, Freedom Fighter of Gelinde, Emissary of Mithlonde, Citedal Poker Champion, Blood Fang Spelunker Extraordinare, M'osh Vrasu, Liberator of Gnomes, Attorney-At-Law, Hobbyist Mapmaker, Marble Connoisseur, and Sommelier of All Fine Leaf"

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature. (On a ship in the middle of an ocean, in a hurricane)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Just realized I should post this one too, in case I change my signature:

Flik Farstrider "Guildmaster of the Azure Avengers, Freedom Fighter of Gelinde, Emissary of Mithlonde, Citedal Poker Champion, Blood Fang Spelunker Extraordinare, M'osh Vrasu, Liberator of Gnomes, Attorney-At-Law, Hobbyist Mapmaker, Marble Connoisseur, and Sommelier of All Fine Leaf"

I've played a lot of characters across many campaigns and several different games, but little Flik has been my favorite character I've ever played. A halfing rogue, and being a fan of the Dragonlance series, I decided to base his personality I on a typical 'kender' mentality. Perhaps cliche', but I don't care. One thing he loves to do after any sort of adventure, big or small, is grant himself titles based on what happened. Here's one of those stories:

The party had traveled to a distant region of the continent populated by half-orc barbarian tribes. While there, Flik's insatiable curiosity about everything led him to want to learn the Orcish language. I declared my intention to the DM, that at the next level up I was going to spend a skill point to learn the language, and during the entire time we were in the region I role-played him practicing and trying to pick up Orcish- including making horribly-awesome mistakes as he got the hang of it. In one such case, a half-orc native "challenged" him to a duel- IE, tried to murder him for his stuff. Just before that scene, I had Flik ask around to learn all the curse words, insults, and otherwise derogatory terms he could. I had also recently taken the feat "Taunt" with him. So, what else was there to do when the savage tried to run me through? I used the Taunt, and told the group I was going to hurl my new-found knowledge of orcish profanity in his face. Something along the lines of 'how the orc's father must like to do it with elves, and this and that'. I rolled for the Taunt.. and rolled a 1. The table just stared at it for a few seconds, and then the conversation went something like this:

Everyone: ....
    DM: "Okay, you believe you rattled off your string of insults correctly, but you don't. You end up just saying one random word, over and over. You say.."
    Me: "Banana!"
    DM: "What?"
    Me: "Banana. First thing that just popped into my head. So I am yelling at the orc, "Banana! Banana banana banana! BAAAANAAAANAAAA!!" While making vulgar body-language motions to go along with what I think I'm actually saying."
    Everyone: *5 minutes of uncontrollable laughter and various pantomines*
    DM: "Okay, so this happens, your Taunt effect fails, but the half-orc is so dumbstruck at this completely ridiculous and unexpected display, you have actually Stunned him for this round."
    Me: "Hey DM, what's 'banana' in Orcish?"
    DM: *thinks for a minute* "Ummm it's M'osh. Yeah, M'osh."

The fight ended with Flik killing the savage, and with his dying breath, the DM describes the half-orc with a puzzled look on his face, as he collapes, he say's ".....m'osh?"

After that fight, I looked up the orcish word for 'slayer' or 'killer' on some website, and came up with "Vrasu" And thereafter while in the orclands, Flik dubbed himself "M'osh Vrasu", the "Banana Slayer".
    Current character:
    -Flik Farstrider "Guildmaster of the Azure Avengers, Freedom Fighter of Gelinde, Emissary of Mithlonde, Citedal Poker Champion, Blood Fang Spelunker Extraordinare, M'osh Vrasu, Liberator of Gnomes, Attorney-At-Law, Hobbyist Mapmaker, Marble Connoisseur, and Sommelier of All Fine Leaf"

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature. (On a ship in the middle of an ocean, in a hurricane)

27. - Top - End - #57

The funniest name I had for a character was Botif - a Dwarf Ranger with a Hawk companion. He came from a long line of Hawk trainers, and so logically his family name was Hawker. Every time he introduced himself formally to new NPC's, the NPCs as well as the party members would all snicker - but nobody ever told poor Botif Hawker why he might not want to go by his full name.
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

28. - Top - End - #58

As far as interesting names...

I like to play up any elemental aspects of a race. I had a woodling factotum named Fennel Feverbush and a Stonechild Barbarian named Jasper Rhyolite

More often, I try to give names that, if translated from another language, would provide clear insight into the character's focus. However - if i had just kept the word in english - would be too on the nose....

For example, I have a Dark Whisper Gnome Swift Hunter named Senka Ubica. Translated from Croation, that means "Shadow Killer". I also found that by picking the language of origin - it helped give additional traits to the character as well.

I had a pair of Air Genasi siblings. The brother was named Furaito, and the sister was named Udana. Tanslated from Japanese and Nepali respectively, these both mean "flight"
    [CLEVER SIGNATURE] Insert Here [/CLEVER SIGNATURE]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

One of my friends one played a dwarf who went by "Dagnabbit Bouldershoulder of the Bouldershoulder clan."

He had cousins named Dadgummit, Doggoneit, and Gurshdurnit.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

Kobold

The first campaign I ever ran was full of people who thought they were funny. I had to deal with the following characters, all of whom survived to lvl 16 before the campaign had to end:

Magic Bob the Sorceror and his Familiar: Jack Squat the Mighty "It."
    Tiny, the Half-Giant Barbarian.
    Clark, the warforged. (As in Clark Kent. A man of steel. hur hur.)
    Holy Hannah, the Cleric.
    Nature Boy the Druid and his Animal Companion: Bi-polar Bear.

then we had a rogue and a paladin that had normal names.

My wife usually plays a character named Marvel, though due to a lapse in handwriting skills some of our other players thought it was Manuel. After that Marvel was considered to look suspiciously like a mexican man in disguise.

Sometimes I think I need new friends. Other times this crap makes me giggle. It's a crapshoot.