New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 60 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC - Part III

Anita says, "My family, House Reynault, ruled Angrove in the name of the Eluxors for nine generations. Then, the treacherous Houses Khaine and Hexulor made a compact with the devils, butchering my family and all of our allies. As for you, I have been taught excessively of your kind. Regardless of this, I am willing to put... this aside so long as I am not brought into any such things as rituals or related practices."

"That may be, but I be wonderin' who did the teaching that you be learnin'. Lady Ye done nothing but make things better for all who's been welcoming of us," Grembler says.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin rolls her eyes. "What do you think I'm a part of? A cult? The only rituals I've ever done since I...set out on my own are meditation and prayer. I've never even asked any of my dear friends to join in. You don't need to join in any rituals to be healed by my powers. Well, really the powers of the Thrones. I worship them because they embody the ideals I strive for: Compassion, community, good, charity, justice. That's it. Should they cease to embody those ideals, I will cease to worship them. Now if you're done freaking out, we've got the rest of the day of travel."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very well," Anita says. "With these demons about, the sooner we get to Cabathad, the better."

You spend the rest of the week traveling. You notice something exceedingly peculiar as you go. You are not furtherly harassed for the rest of you journey( indeed, you do not see any further fiendish activity at all. But neither do you see any soldiers.

You ask your companions about this, and they all agree to feeling uneasy. "I cannot help but feel as though we are being watched," says Kensin, "but though I look,I see no sign of anything stalking us."

Lyanna in particular seems withdrawn and aloof. You talk to her privately. "I... have a very bad feeling about all this. The closer we get to the city, the heavier my heart feels. It almost feels like... Oh, never mind."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin privately wonders if it is Ns'karra secretly guidance her to avoid patrols. If so, why would she want Karrin to get to Cabathad unmolested, relatively speaking?

"Lyanna, speak your mind. I'm willing to consider any idea right now, and I hate the unease as much as you do."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Lyanna looks forlornly up at the stars. "There is an Elven belief called "gurtha-elea", death-sight. They say that an elf knows when they are fated to die. In all of our history, gurtha-elea has never been wrong. If I have to be perfectly honest with myself, I don't believe I'll be coming out of Cabathad alive."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

"Then why'd you sign up for this mission? Or did not not get this feeling until recently?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

"I only felt it recently. Besides, it's fate. I could try to avoid it, and turn around right now, never entering the city. I might live longer if I do, but I won't. There's danger in there, and I won't let any of you go in there without my help. If this is what has to happen, then so be it."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin looks sad and turns away. "Fine. Your choice. Won't tell you not risk yourself to help others. Woud be hypacritical. Just remember all those who love you and would be affected by your passing."

Afterwards, the paladin talks to Grembler and Kensin. "Have you any means to see invisible creatures? I won't have us being followed like that if we can help it. If you think we're being watched, then you're proably right."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler says, "I have way of dispelling magic. Problem is, need to know where something is before I can cast spell on it."

Skeever scoffs at this. "Well, then it's notta lotta good is it?" The kobold thinks. "Best way to go fer findin' 'nvisible critters is ta try throwin' some dust around. Like dis." He throws a bag of white, chalky dust into the air, and it comes to rest on the ground without revealing anything. Grembler looks haughtily at him.

Kensin says, "Whoever or whatever they are, they are skilled hunters. One or two of us might break of and loop around back, and maybe catch them. I am a skilled tracker, and the most suited for the task."

"If Kensin is going, I'll go with him," Lyanna says. "I'm quite good at stealth myself."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

"Fine. Go and catch them. Report back every hour at least."

Karrin will watch the duo leave, and then very quickly speak to Grembler and Skeever. "One of you use the ring. Both of you, follow them stealthily. It is not your job to catch our hunters, although that'd be nice. It is your job to PROTECT THOSE TWO if they get ambushed, do you understand me? Make sure they get back in one piece. No one is getting taken prisoner today if I can help it."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler nods, donning the ring and disappearing into the shadows. Skeever smirks as he follows, daggers drawn.

You are left with Anita, Mirabelle and Ironman, and the latter is not normally the conversationalist. Mirabelle says to you, "Is something wrong? You haven't seemed yourself since you talked with Lyanna."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

"Lyanna told me something, and I believe confidence was implied. I will not share it unless the situation is dire. However, I will say that we should out for danger for her. Just try not to act any differently around her."

Karrin sighs.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Mira nods. "I'll ask her later. If you think she's in trouble, it's worth knowing about, but I trust your judgement."

Anita says, "Have you thought about how we're going to get into the city, especially with Hammerhand here?"

"Hammerhand," Ironman says. "I find myself questioning which name I prefer. It is a most unusual experience."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

"If you're going to ask her, do it before we enter Cabathad. As for Ironman, our initial plans is not to sneak in. It's impossible with me anyways because I clank way too much unless I use the ring. I'm hoping for diplomacy. If that fails then we send people to sneak in. Ironman, you're free to choose whatever name you want, although shield-hand is technically just as valid of a name."

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Anita says, "Between the two of us, we might be able to talk our way in. At least as a first resort."

Ironman says, "I was not created to choose, save which opponent it is most opportune to attack, and such a decision is based upon knowledge given to me. I am a weapon, simply a well-crafted one."

"You can be more,"
    Mirabelle says.

"Should I be more? Is it proper that I seek to exalt myself as equal to my creators?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

"Remember how I told you that us organics have children? We create them, albeit in a different way your creator created you. But still, creation is creation. Most parents would be PROUD of their children for surpassing them. Progress and improvement are good things. So yes, seek to better yourself and make your creators proud, dead though they may be."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

You continue onward. At regular intervals, Grembler and Skeever report back, saying that nothing had been found yet.

They are, in fact, in the middle of their last report when Kensin comes running back, carrying a catatonic Lyanna. "I have no idea what happened," he says. "I found a trail, but no creatures. The tracks were strange, and I am certain whatever made them used the trees as much as the ground. The forest was empty, when Lyanna suddenly complained of a headache. I was about to bring her back, when she suddenly screamed in pain and collapsed."

You examine her more closely; it appears she is suffering from severe mental trauma. You consider her symptoms, and remember the demon from before.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-03-18 at 11:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

"Damnations! Demon possession! Hold on Lyanna..."

Karrin quickly tries to suppress the demonic influence with her magic.

(Cast Protection vs Evil on Lyanna)

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Your spell does not seem to affect her, at least not visibly.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright, we are finding a place to camp for the night. We must observe Lyanna and see whether she's improving or not. We know how hard it was for Mirabell."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

You find a relatively secluded place to spend the night. The city of Cabathad is not far, its light visible in the waning daylight.

You take vigil over Lyanna, waiting to see if her condition improves. The next morning is the first time she stirs.

"Are you alright?" Mirabelle asks her.

"Uhhm my brainsss been mmelted..." Lyanna slurs. You remember the strange demon and the charisma-hurting attack it used on you, and concede that it is an accurate description.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

"But...the battle was long over. Why were you...well, talk later here..."

Karrin has prepared some restorative magics today. "Let's try to unburn your brain..." The paladin casts Less a spell to see if it'll help her friend at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lesser Restoration on Lyanna.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

You cast the healing spell on Lyanna, your hands shining a soothing white glow. "Now instead of my brain having the consistency of cabbage water, it has the consistency of porridge. Hopefully it won't leak out my ears as quickly," she mutters. "Thanks."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin pumps another shot of it into Lyannna. "Do you know why you fell unconscious so long after the battle?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability damage heal: (1d4)[2]

(How much of Karrin's CHA damage have been healed?)

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

(You've had six days, so all of it)

Lyanna shrugs. "I've got no clue. I've never seen that type of demon before, so I don't know why I would be effected like that." Kensin gives her something to drink, and continues to take care of her.

Anita says, "I don't think it's safe out here. We should get into the city as soon as possible. Leave here at first light."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

"Damn invisible demons firing brain-melting attacks at you...let's go to the city. We start packing NOW. Lyanna can rest. Everyone else help."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

You manage to get everything secured, and Kensin helps Lyanna onto her horse, staying on foot to guide the animal and keep her upright.

You arrive at the city gate. The guards, wearing a deep purple uniform and face-concealing helmets, look down at you from the lengths of their crossbows. "We don't allow riffraff in Cabathad," one says, "and we've got no business with other cities, so go back to where you came from."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

"We've got an injured person here. We humbly request that you allow us in until she fully recovers. A large group of fiends had attacked us, and she can't make the trip back in her current condition. I'd be happy to help out in whatever capacity Cabathad has need of, or do whatever to 'prove my worth' in some fashion to prove that we're not err...riff-raff."

While speaking, the paladin scans for Evil in the general area.

(Detect Evil all around)

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Anita adds, "We carry great authority, and it would do you well to treat us with proper respect."

The guard says, "Very well, I will fetch the captain. But I have a feeling he is going to be very cross when he gets here. You might consider not being here when he does."

Your scans reveal something greatly shocking. There seems to be an evil presence amongst your companions.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin tries not to let her shock show. Which companion is it?