New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC - Part III

"You have knights that are sympathetic to you. That is good news indeed. I have fought against Angrove's soldiers, and I do not wish to slaughter them even if Whiteveil's force can win that way. Our goal should run something along the lines of a mass revolt from the citizenry and the armed forces of Angrove while an outside army attack. My aim is not to conquer, but to free Angrove from the devils."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

"I had loyal knights. We were discovered, and I think I'm the only one left. If you want to free the people, you need to destroy the temple. That's where the oath blood is taken. In order to do that, you're going to have to kill the Harbinger."
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

"Damnations! Well, I suppose those bloodoaths won't reverse themselves, but I have no idea how I could stop something like a Pit Fiend. I mean, even against that Bone Devil, I had *help* to defeat it. A paladin I may be, but my flesh is weak compared to that of a Pit Fiend's. What if we just...blew up the temple with explosives somehow, if we can sneak them in? Would that help at all?"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm not sure. The place is twice as secure as the city castle, and is magically enhanced too. Not to mention you'd probably have to blow up the Altars themselves. Hmm. Maybe you could find a powerful demon to fight him?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin winces, but admits that is a fun idea. "the problem is, how do we set such a fight up so that the collateral damage to your people are minimized? A Balor and a Pit Fiend won't just agree to duke it out in a steel cage."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

"It will be a difficult task," Anita admits, "but truthfully I cannot conceive of any other way to accomplish the task. What is your current goal, then? What is it in Cabathad that you seek?"

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

"A weapon. I imagine it'll be very powerful against fiends. A famous paladin wielded it."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Anita nods. "That would be most useful. In my experience, only the weakest of fiends can even be injured by normal weapons." She waits for a moment. "Might I ask you a personal question? Last night, it sounded as though you had a most disturbed sleep..."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin looks away, looking a bit sad. "I...I'm sorry, but I don't like to talk about it much. I've got some inner demons to battle, and it's very personal. Maybe I will share that in the future."

Well, technically, *an* inner demon, but what she says is true...literally!

"Anyhow, our plan is to try to make peaceful contact with the locals, a nd search for the sword."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Anita stands up, and goes to prepare her horse. "In that case, we had best be going. No need to put off our journey any longer."

You depart, taking the eastern road. You come across signs of struggle, evidence that large battles have taken place. The scorch-marks and lack of any bodies suggests to you that these were most likely fought between fiends.

It is about three days from Cabathad that you see the first living fiends. The lands are more forested, with deciduous trees gathered sparsely about as opposed to the rolling planes of Whiteveil's lands.

You see a group of demons, about a dozen or so. They are led by a large demon whose breed you are completely unfamiliar with. It stands about eight feet tall, hunched over like an ape. It has a skeletal, reptilian snout that seamlessly merges with a set of bony spines going down its back. At this distance, you think you see an eerie glow emanating from the seams of the spines.

A pair of incubi bring a wounded erinyes in front of this leader, her wings damaged. It is apparent she is the last survivor of a group of devils these demons had just defeated. The large one looks at her, and with a snap bites her head clean off and swallows it. The rest of the body is consumed by flame and leaves no trace.

The demon looks up, and makes eye contact with you. It roars, and the rest of the horde moves to fight.

(You have one round to prepare before I roll initiative; neither sides have surprise. Map is here; you can deploy your companions anywhere below 20 on the grid. )
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-03-15 at 11:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

(before I deploy, can you tell me what the rest of the demon abbreviations mean, if I can recognize the other demons?)

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Sch-schir
    ic- incubus
    br-brimorak

If you don't remember, brimoraks are small, fire demons.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 96/96  ///  Saves: 14F / 9R / 10W [+2/2/2 Morale bonus]
    AC: 21 = 10 ARMOR + 1 DEX
    Conditions:  LoH 9/9, Smite Evil 3/3, Heroism

Trombe
    HP: 77/77  ///  Saves: 13F / 12R / 8W
    AC: 23 = 4 ARMOR +8 NATURAL + 2 DEX -1 SIZE
    Conditions:  Devotion (+4 vs enchantment)

(WOW, I've forgotten that Animal Companions get more Nat armor as they level. I've been cheating Trombe out of sooo much AC it's not even funny. Now he's as tough to hit as Karrin )

The paladin halts her group from advancing, in fact staying as far away as possible for the time being. "Ironman, use the spells I've put into your matrix. Make yourself stronger or bless your weapon so that it bypasses their hard skin! Everyone, pepper them with ranged weapons. Grembler, use the ring and keep the enemies weak."
    Karrin herself uses the chance to use her armor, filling her with the energies of heros!
    Spoiler
    Show

Trombe stays in the middle somewhere on line 24 (near the bottom), and Karrin ahs the other stay even further behind her.

Karrin: Use Heroism from armor.
    Power Attack: Off
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-16 at 11:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

(Note: All of your party were mounted, but since only you and Anita actually have warhorses, the rest were left safely out of the fighting. Don't worry about them)

Initiative:

Mira: 22
    Schirs: 22
    Kensin: 18
    Brimoraks :15
    Incubus: 10
    Ironman: 11
    Unknown Demon: 9
    Karrin: 7
    Grembler: 7
    Skeever :7
    Lyanna: 5
    Anita :3
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-03-16 at 10:19 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Mira pulls out her bow and fires, wounding a schir. The schirs lean forward as though to charge, but the large demon holds them back, and they wait. Kensin wounds another schir, critically. The brimoraks and the incubi also withhold their attacks. Ironman, having no ranged attacks but ordered to stay back, readys to attack anything that comes in range with his charged weapon.

The unknown demon acts, opening its mouth and roaring. A roiling miasma of corruption issues forth, enveloping you, Trombe, Anita and her horse, and Ironman. You can feel it worm its way through your armor, the tendrils forcing their way into your body through any opening they can find and filling you with malign energy.

Take 16 damage, and are sickened for 4 rounds. Will save (DC 19) halves damage, negates sickened.
    Will: (d20+12)[32]

Trombe takes 25 damage, is sickened for 4 rounds.

Ironman and Anita are affected as well, to a lesser degree. As soon as this happens, the brimoraks follow up with a volley of fireballs, one of which hits you and Trombe.

Take 17 damage (after ER) Reflex Save for half damage (DC 15): (d20+9)[11]

The schirs and incubi charge. You wound one that comes into range. Anita is the only one who is injured by the schirs, who charge you, her, and Ironman. Ironman brings his hammer down when the first comes into range, and then again when the second does.

The incubi attack Mira and Kensin, wounding both of them.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 78/96
    Saves: 16F / 11R / 12W = 14/9/19 +2/2/2 MORALE
    AC: 21 = 10 ARMOR + 1 DEX
    Conditions:  LoH 8/9, Smite Evil 3/3, Heroism, Bless Weapon

Trombe
    HP: 52/77  ///  Saves: 13F / 12R / 8W
    AC: 23 = 4 ARMOR +8 NATURAL + 2 DEX -1 SIZE
    Conditions:  Devotion (+4 vs enchantment)
    It wouldn't have made a difference in this case, but don't forget to add the +2 to all saves (like the reflex save) to remember that Karrin's current saves are 16/11/12. I think I might change my save formats to make more clear.

ARRRGH We only got 10, maybe 20 seconds of repreive before that thing can do that to us again. Spread out, and defeat the schirs quickly!" She navigates the sickened Trombe carefully around the line to give the schirs something to worry about. Meanwhile, she takes the chance to blesses her own weapon to make it pierce through the hides of demons before rejoining the fight behind the enemy line.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trombe Withdraws to move around the line entirely, parking himself at 23-I. This allows Karrin to flank ALL the Schirs, helping her allies hit.

Karrin:
    Swift Action: Heal Self (5d6)[17]
    Standard Action: Cast Bless Weapon.
    Power Attack: Off
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-16 at 11:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler, concealed by the shadow ring, begins chanting a spell. Skeever backstabs an incubus, dealing minimal damage. Lyanna drops her bow, and steps around the other incubus. A set of fangs emerge from her mouth as well as the claws from her hands, but the incubus is only mildly wounded. Anita withdraws beside you, switching to her lance and shield.

"If we charge that beast together, we can dispatch it quickly!" she says as she comes up beside you, challenging the large demon.

You gain the Cavalry Formation feat for 6 rounds. Also, Anita is challenging the large demon. If she threatens it, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to hit.

Mirabelle drops her bow and pulls out her sword and shield, holding her ground. The schirs attack; you are hit by two.

Take 9 damage.

Anita is wounded by the schirs as well, but Ironman shrugs off their blows. Kensin drops his bow and pulls out his sword and shield, stepping back some.

The brimoraks, unable to get a clear shot, take up a defensive position in front of the large demon. The incubi turn on Skeever and Lyanna. They both cry out as the cruel scimitars descend upon them; Skeever collapses.

Ironman crushes one of the schirs, the shockwaves of his weapon tearing its body apart. He then follows it up by shield slamming the other.

The large demon looks at you. The strange pulsing from its large hump intensifies, and a purple tendril of light shoots forth, striking you in the skull. Doubt and uncertainty strike you, accompanied by a painful headache.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-03-16 at 01:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Take (2d4)[3] CHA damage, Will Save for half.
    Will (DC 19): (d20+12)[13]
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-03-16 at 01:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 69/96
    Saves: 14F / 9R / 10W = 14/9/19 +2/2/2 MORALE -2/-2/-2 CHA penalty
    AC: 19 (22 vs BIg Bad) = 10 ARMOR + 1 DEX + 3 DEF [vs big bad] -2 CHARGE
    Conditions:  LoH 8/9, Smite Evil 2/3, Heroism, Bless Weapon, Smite Evil vs Big Bad Demon

Trombe
    HP: 52/77
    Saves: 11F / 10R / 6W = 13/12/8 -2/-2/-2 Cha penalty
    AC: 21 = 4 ARMOR +8 NATURAL + 2 DEX -1 SIZE -2 CHARGING
    Conditions:  Devotion (+4 vs enchantment), Sickened
    Karrin SCREAMS from the headache. This ends. Now. "Alright Anita I'll follow your lead. KENSIN PROTECT SKEEVER!" The paladin waits Anita to charge, and will follow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trombe charges forward (at the right time) to somewhere near the big bad demon so that he doesn't end up sharing space with Anita's mount.

Charging aid another (+2 charge, -2 Sickened, +2 Anita): (1d20+12)[29]

Karrin:
    Swift Action: Smite Evil vs Big Bad Demon
    Power Attack: -3/+9
    Delay until Anita charges, then charge forward.
    Charge attack (+3 Smite, +2 Charge, +2 Morale, +2 Anita, +2 Aid Another, -3 PA): (1d20+20)[32]
    Damage (+6 Smite, +9 PA, x3 Spirited Charge): (3d8+60)[69]

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler completes his incantation, and a pair of small ice elementals appear in front of the brimoraks. They both slam into the brimoraks, causing the demons pain from their cold. Grembler then attempts to hex a schir, but it resists.

Lyanna turns on the incubus that slashed her. She grabs the blade with her hands, twists, and sinks her fangs into the demon's arm.

Anita surges forward, and so do you. Trombe neatly sidesteps the brimoraks, who are too busy with the elementals to stop you. Your lances both go through the eyes of the demon, and its hump splits open, revealing a bioluminescent, pulsating brain. The brain explodes with enough force to completely destroy the demon's body, and you and Anita are covered in grey matter.

Mirabelle lands a blow on the incubus, but it immediately vanishes, unable to overcome its fiendish resistance. She then slams it with her shield, knocking it off balance.

The schirs surround Ironman, pummeling him with their halberds. There is a clank as a sensitive-sounding part is hit.

Kensin goes on the offensive, assaulting the incubus that struck down Skeever. One of his blows wounds the demon's wing.

The brimoraks concentrate on the elementals, killing one and wounding the other.

The incubi continue to attack Mirabelle and Kensin. Mirabelle fights it off, but Kensin is wounded.

Ironman pulps another schir beneath his hammer, finishing it with a shield bash.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

(doing a quick post here. Not alotta time)

"Anita, back to the others!" Karne gets trombe RUNNING back to near the others, and then releases a burst of white energy to heal everyone, demons included unfortunately. Skeever needs the help, and some of her other companions are fairly hurt too.

(4d6)[11]

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler hexes a schir, and Lyanna casts a spell on herself, Mira and Ironman. Anita stabs at the nearby brimorak, wounding it. The ice elemental slams into the brimorak again.

Mirabelle, moving with unnatural speed, slashes at the incubus with her sword. One of the schirs moves to flank Lyanna. She ducks as it swings its halberd at her. The rest continue to pound uselessly at Ironman. Kensin continues to fight the incubus, but it is clear his weapon is ineffective.

The brimoraks must find the ice elemental particularly offensive, as the concentrate their efforts on bringing it down. Ironman kills another schir.

The incubi begin to realize the battle is not going in their favor. The incubus fighting Lyanna and Mirabelle takes to the sky, his flight destabilized by Mira as he takes off. The other tries to lift off, but his wounded wing gives way, and he falls to the ground, taking attacks of opportunity from both Kensin and the reawakened Skeever.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 80/96
    Saves: 14F / 9R / 10W = 14/9/19 +2/2/2 MORALE -2/-2/-2 CHA penalty
    AC: 19 = 10 ARMOR + 1 DEX -2 CHARGE
    Conditions:  LoH 6/9, Smite Evil 2/3, Heroism, Bless Weapon

Trombe
    HP: 63/77
    Saves: 11F / 10R / 6W = 13/12/8 -2/-2/-2 Cha penalty
    AC: 21 = 4 ARMOR +8 NATURAL + 2 DEX -1 SIZE -2 CHARGING
    Conditions:  Devotion (+4 vs enchantment), Sickened
    The paladin will help destroy a brimoak, as Anita is up there all alone currently. She charges forward with Trombe, lance ready to stab.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trombe charges forward to 8-G, and will continue with Ride-by-Attack to stop at 7-G to help Anita flank the Brimoraks

Charging aid another (+2 charge, -2 Sickened): (1d20+10)[15]

Karrin:
    Power Attack: -3/+9
    Charge attack (+2 Charge, +2 Morale, +2 Aid Another, -3 PA): (1d20+15)[34]
    Damage (+9 PA, x3 Spirited Charge): (3d8+42)[56]

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Crit confirm: (1d20+15)[33]
    Crit damage: (2d8+28)[38]

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Your blow destroys the demon, who erupts in a gout of flame. Grembler hexes a schir. Lyanna continues to fight tooth and claw at the schir. Skeever stabs the prone incubus with his daggers. Anita moves her horse five feet to the right, and stabs twice at the brimorak, severely wounding it. You realize her lance must have a cold iron tip to do such damage.

Mirabelle moves up to flank the schir Lyanna is attacking, and strikes once again with unnatural quickness and power, slaying the schir. The remaining schirs, realizing they cannot win, flee at great speed, bounding over the terrain. Kensin, seeing the opportunity to act but unable to do damage with his weapons, grapples the fallen demon. The brimoraks, trapped between you and Anita, attempt to teleport out, but you take the opportunity to stab and kill one.

The flying incubus, realizing the reversal of the situation, teleports away as well. The other breaks free of Kensin, only to be met by Ironman. The machine deals a killing blow with his hammer, leaving the body to dissolve in its usual manner.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin quickly goes back to check on her companions, especially Skeever. "Skeever, thank goodness you're alright. Who here requires more healing?"

If multiple people are hurt, she'll use her channel energy again to heal everyone.

[roll]4d6[roll]

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

(4d6)[11]

You gather your companions together and channel your energy. Anita says, "There's more to you than just another warrior. You aren't a spellsword either; I've run into enough of those to recognize them. Who are you?"

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I *did* say that I've got special backup, and also that I'm searching for a weapon once wielded by a famous paladin. Oh also, Trombe, say hi to Anita."

Trombe scratches out onto the dirt, 'Hello, Anita.'

"Glowing hands. Smart horse. Fights lotsa fiends. Sees the good in people, even unusual ones. Ring any bells?" She smiles jokingly, but not in a mean way.

(Oh yeah, I spent one skill pt learning Elvish. Will have Lyanna teach me in spare time.)

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, you probably are not a druid, and you are a tad bit heavily armed to be a hedge witch, so... I fear you have me at a loss, then."

Mirabelle snorts. "You've never heard of a paladin?"

"What, pray tell, is a paladin?" Anita asks.

This results in Mirabelle covering her head with her hand. "Have you ever been in a temple in your life? An actual temple of the Thrones?"

"Never," Anita shakes her head vehemently. "No Reynault, nor any of the true-blooded rulers of Angrove would enter a fane or bend knee to an otherworldly power. We've scorned such barbarism in favor of enlightened philosophy, at least until the usurper's betrayal."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin face palms at the exact same time as Mirabell. When a single facepalm does not suffice...there is the double facepalm.

"What exactly, is the usurper? Or rather, who? A human who decided to side with the devils to take over Angrove? In any case, don't knock it until you've tried it, or at least have interacted with it extensively. Grembler, could you, in your own words, tell her of the 'barbarism' you have seen me committ? Tell her how I treat the people I come across, and what I use my otherworldly powers for. Would you say I force people to bend their knees to these otherworldy beings, or do I respect their choices? Remember the troglodyte brood mother?"