New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The New World IC

You set your foot down on solid ground for the first time in more than a month. The feeling is jarring, but you don't have time to brace yourself, for this is the New World, and those that can't cope are bound to perish.

You find yourself standing on the planks of a small, make-shift dock about forty paces away from Fort Faeta. The sea is a clear blue color, and the sand is a dusty orange. The small docks connect to a thin dirt path leading to the front gate of the fort. In the distance you can see a heavy forest to the North-East, and some rocky looking hills to the North-East. The breeze is cold, and stings slightly due to the salt in the air.

A thin man wearing the robes of an Emissary approaches in a hustle, and climbs the steps of a wooden podium. He clears his throat and begins to speak loudly.

"Good people of the Homeland, I am pleased to see you have all made the trip safely. Let me greet you with a blessing from the Patron," the man pauses, and then continues to speak.

"All glory to the Patron! At the beginning of time the Patron, our heavenly father, created the Homleand. This land needed keepers, so the Patron created us, the Humani. Over the centuries, we have performed the duties given to us by the Patron, and our loyalty has pleased him. Because of this, he chose to reward us. He gifted us with knowledge of a new realm, an undiscovered continent upon which we must introduce the Patron's will. So go forth, ye children of the Patron, and transform this land in the name of the Patron!"

The emissary, quite pleased with himself, steps off the podium in order to mingle with some of the newly arrived colonists.

You've just taken our first step in the New World. Where are you and what are you doing?
    You found the hidden text! Have a cookie.

Thanks to The Stoney One for the awesome avatar!

Spoiler: My homebrew!
    Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    Quasi-Elemental Genasi (Plus New Feats and a Subtype)!
    My Extended Signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The New World IC

As Lily steps off the dock she moves enough to the side not to get in anyone's way. She closes her eyes for a moment, letting the breeze blow some of the smell from the cramped quarters of the ship away as she stretches the stiffness out of her limbs.

As the Emissary climbs the stairs to the podium she opens and rolls her eyes. Well, she thinks, I might've gotten away, but I guess you can't escape everything.

After the man steps down from the podium Lily keeps her distance from him as she re-checks to make sure she has all her things and begins to truly take in her surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show

Probably unnecessary, but just in case there's anything interesting and not immediately obvious, here's a Perception check - (1d20+5)[20]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Noticing her annoyance with the obsessively faithful, Alina nudges Lily with her elbow, grinning with obvious relief, loosely gripping her long pike resting against her neck. Hey now, she says quietly. With obvious sarcasm she chides, The Patron saw that, you know.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Kristoff stands awkwardly in the center of the dock, clueless as to where to go from here.

He watches the man on the podium as he speaks but doesn't pay what he says any real attention. He thinks to himself It seems the church doesn't change too much from preacher to preacher.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Some of the other colonists begin making their way up to the fort, while others return to the ship to grab their belongings. The emissary, with a wide grin still painted upon his face, remains near the podium.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rikard brushes off his clothing as he steps down from the ship. It doesn't do much to the salt and grime that has soaked itself into the worn leather, but it gives him a quiet sense of dignity. He listens, bored, as the Emissary preforms his ritual. This was nothing compared to the elaborate rituals that he had been forced to participate in at home. It was sad, really. Once the crowd had begun to disperse, he stepped forward, throwing on a fake smile and greeting the Emissary heartily.

May the Patron smile upon you, my brother. If he was going to make it in this new world, the first thing he would need was money, and a place to stay. His hand drifted to his waist. He had a meager three pieces of silver tucked away in a pouch on the inside of the waistband of his breeches. Three silvers! A man of his standing needed better than that.

Rikard realized that he was frowning and quickly smiled again. Would a wise man such as yourself happen to know of any place that might shelter a new arrival long enough for him to earn his keep around here? I do fear that I am woefully underfunded.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Diplomacy to butter this guy up. Plus, I want to roll something.
    (1d20+7)[9]
    EDIT: Yay...
    Last edited by SalmonOfDoubt; 2013-03-11 at 11:02 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlueKnightGuy

Elandris first steps on land are filled with wonder. He was finally here. It was now time for him to make a name for himself, discover new sights, and most importantly, create the best stories. This was his time.

Elandris was almost too excited to hear the words of the Emissary. Focusing himself, he catches the end of the speech. It would hardly do to start off life on the continent on the wrong foot. Curiously, those around him seem less attentive than was proper.

First things first, Elandris thinks to himself. I need to find a place to stay. I may be spending most of my time in the wilderness, but I need to have a home base.

Going back to the ship to get Bok and his mule, Dossle, Elandris decides that his best bet is to ask the Emissary. He walks over to the man just in time to see someone else pose the very same question he was thinking.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Lily gives Alina a small grin after the nudging. He's seen me do much worse than that. She replies quietly before she turns to listen as one of the men asks The Emissary about cheap sleeping arrangements.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gloria

Among the last to leave the ship is the huge woman you came to know as Gloria. She hesitates for a moment, then takes a few steps to the side and listens to the ritual patiently. Afterwards she looks around, obviously unsure what to do. When she spots Lily and Alina standing close together she moves over, nodding at the 2 women and smiling.
    Act well before thinking!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Jotun rolled his eyes at the speech and then started to eye the others. Watching the people march up the path to the fort proper, he started along. Sarcastically speaking he looked at Rikard, "Come now, you know the Patron provides. Nah, I'm just kidding. Just follow me and you will find what you need." He then starts to follow the other pilgrims into the unknown.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

11. - Top - End - #11

The emissary thinks a moment, and then answers Rikard's question. "Well our governor here believes that those who don't work, don't eat. It's a tad harsh to those unused to labor, but we all must lend a hand in the work of the Patron. As long as you're willing to perform basic labor without pay, you'll receive food and shelter. But don't worry, it wouldn't be dangerous work or anything. Most likely he'll have you farming, building, cleaning, and other tasks like that."

The emissary eyes both Rikard and Elandris, noticing their armor and weapons. "Then again, telling by your equipment, you folks may be more interested in making your own living. We could use some brave souls willing to scout out the nearby wilderness, but no one is willing to, despite the fact that they could be displeasing the Patron. It's quite a dangerous task."

---

As Jotun walks down the path, he finds himself striding next to a well-groomed man with a bundle of leather tubes sticking out from his pack. The man is wearing surprisingly clean clothes, despite the fact that he's spent the previous month and a half at sea. He turns to Jotun, smiling widely, and offers his hand. "Greetings, I don't believe I ever became acquainted with you while on the ship. My name is Doran."

---

Shortly after Gloria moves over to Lily and Alina, the three see a thin man struggling off the ship. His wiry glasses sit askew upon his nose as he attempts to carry five large trunks down from the ship. Each of the trunks is fastened closed with a large iron padlock. On the trunk below his left arm you spot a label inscribed with the phrase Reptile Specimens. He curses loudly as he almost drops his burden, and continues descending from the ship.

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

At first hearing the emissary talk, Elandris is disappointed. Thats not the kind of life he imagined. Still, at least I'm here.

However, Elandris brightens up considerably by the time the emissary has finished. "Why would any want to displease the Patron? Fortunately, that kind of work was just what I had in mind. Where do I sign up?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Gloria, nice to see you made it off H.M.S. Vomitoria safely, Alina says. At least, I know I'll be happy if I never set foot on one of those floating coffins again.

Seeing the man struggling, Alina shakes her head and jogs over to him and relieves him of what burden she can. After all, she just had her tools and her weapons, there was no reason she shouldn't help him.

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Rikard smirked slightly at Elandris' comment about the Patron. It wasn't that he did not respect the deity, but he did not see the point in basing your entire life around what he did and did not approve of. It was better to think for yourself. In fact, given proper justification, displeasing the patron could be rather beneficial. No matter now though, as making the Patron happy was exactly what Rikard wanted to do. His smirk shifted into a genuine smile.

Such sharp eyes! Indeed, traversing the wilderness in search of new and exotic plant life is exactly what I traveled so far to do. I had not suspected that such work would be so readily available, however, and planned instead on settling in before striking out. But if there is a job now... Rikard's eyes twinkled. Perhaps it was a good thing, to be in a land where not a soul knew who he was. He could skim right over the fact that he was forced to come here, or the nature of the plants he sought, and none would be the wiser.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Lily follows Alina over to the struggling man. You seem to be having a bit of trouble sir, would you like a bit of help? She asks, a wry smile spreading across her lips as she reads the label visible below the man's arm. Reptile specimens? Specimens for what?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kristoff walks up to the emissary and makes sure he's heard Would anyone be able to go on these missions? I do my best work in the wild.
    What I say should be taken with a grain of salt, as that is the best way to serve madness!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Extending his hand gleefully, Jotun addresses the man. "Jotun Kirkpatrick, acrobat extraordinaire and you, Doran, look to be a...mapmaker?"
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

18. - Top - End - #18

The emissary smiles, a little shocked at all the interest these newcomers seem to have in risking their lives. "All three of you are willing to brave the unknown dangers of the wilderness? This is fantastic! If you're truly interested, you should pay a visit to the governor and inform him that you plan to form an exploration party. He might be able to give you some supplies."

- - -

"I am indeed a mapmaker. But an acrobat you say? How do you plan on making a living her in the New World? I doubt there's much of a market for entertainment yet," Doran replies.

- - -

The thin man seems at first reluctant to let strangers handle his luggage, but eventually hands some trunks over to Lily and Alina. The trunks Lily recieves is labeled Ornithological Specimens, while Alina's trunks says Dissection Equipment. After handing over some of his luggage, the man answers Lily's question. "Oh, err, the reptile specimens? Well that trunk is mostly empty right now, just jars and preservation fluid. The reptiles I plan to fill it with shall be those of the New World."

The man pauses, gulps, and then stutters out another sentence. "My name is Dr. Lev Shipton, follower of the Way and professional anatomist. Thank you both for helping me with my luggage."

Show
    The Bladebound Martyr!
    My Extended Signature!

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueKnightGuy

"Wonderful! I thank you, and may the Patron bless you!" Elandris is wondering why people would come all the way to the new world and just lay about in the city.

He starts heading towards the governors house, leading Dossle and Bok following along.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Kristoff follows along after Elandris since he seems to know where he's going.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

BlueKnightGuy

Elandris sees Kristoff following him. "Isn't this so exciting? I wonder what we will discover first?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I am interested to see if the animals are any different from back home.

Kristoff ponders about whether or not the local wildlife is going to be poisonous to eat most of the time.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

Rikard watches the others who spoke to the Emissary wander off. He sighs. He had not thought for a minute about the "unknown dangers" that might face him in the wild. No matter though, he had a sword and a fine suit of armor. Well, what was a fine suit of armor. He nods at the Emissary and thanks him for the information, then hurries up the path after Elandris and Kristoff.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gloria

Slow to react as always, Gloria follows the other 2 ladies and offers her help to the guy struggling with his luggage.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Lily takes the case carefully and begins walking towards what passes for civilization around here with the others. Pleasure to meet you Dr. Shipton. I'm a follower of the Way myself. I'm not especially well educated, but if you need some help finding specimens I'll probably be spending a fair amount of time out in the wilderness.

26. - Top - End - #26

BlueKnightGuy

"I'll bet they are. Just think, we will be seeing things no one back home has ever seen before. That probably includes new types of animals. I'm interested, and worried of course, about what the men that live on this continent will be like."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gloria

"Just like all men, everywhere."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"There is always a market for entertainment, and messengers. Also, I hope to find fortune among the wilds. I fancy myself a bit of an adventurer too," Jotun happily replies to Doran. "Perhaps we may travel together at some time, since map makers should see what they draw."
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

We're happy to assist, Doctor, Alina says, feeling a pang of loss. Her lord and husband had been fascinated with all forms of biology and chemistry. I am more a student of war and its associated sciences than biology. I would never have told my father so, but I quite respect your craft.

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

Rikard looked at Elandris for a moment before responding. Well, I would imagine that the "men" here are uncivilized brutes. That is what the rags back home all say. Although, I can not quite remember whether that particular article was written as fact or speculation... He trailed off, trying to dredge up more information from his memory.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling to remember any information there might be on the native population, or if one even exists. I think that would be Knowledge(Culture), but correct me if I'm wrong.
    (1d20+4)[8]