New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default So, unless Durkon dies twice in the comic or the Order carries his body around...

...vampire!Durkon will get to visit the Dwarven lands.

After all, there is a prophecy that Durkon will return to his homelands "posthumously." Returning as a vampire counts as "posthumously." If he does NOT return as a vampire, that leaves only two options for the prophecy to come true:

1. Vampire!Durkon gets destroyed, Durkon is raised, then dies AGAIN and his body is returned to the Dwarven homelands. Hence the title of this thread. I think we can all agree this possibility is rather remote.

2. Vampire!Durkon gets destroyed, Durkon is NOT raised, and his dead body is somehow returned to his homelands. This is possible, but it would basically be a repeat of what happened with Roy's body. Plus, it would be illogical for the Order to rush off to the Dwarven lands with Durkon's body in tow. They'd either get him raised, or leave his body with the Azurites.

Option #1 seems ridiculously convoluted, and option #2 seems unlikely for literary reasons (too similar to a past plot). So I conclude that it is most likely Vampire!Durkon will go to the Dwarven lands, either with the Linear Guild or with Team Evil...

...which also fits nicely with that other prophecy from the prequel books.
    Proud White Cloak Acolyte of the Fan Club.

Neither murderous paladins nor psychotic liches shall ever extinguish the dream of Goblin Liberation. The Plan must continue.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: So, unless Durkon dies twice in the comic or the Order carries his body around...

Yes, these three possibilities have been guessed multiple times at this point. We'll have to wait and see how things ultimately unfold.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: So, unless Durkon dies twice in the comic or the Order carries his body around...

Reading OTOOPCs will give further clues.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Note that, were he destroyed and raised, his visit would still be posthumous.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    Good point! I hadn't thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yes, these three possibilities have been guessed multiple times at this point. We'll have to wait and see how things ultimately unfold.
    Meh, I've got used to the idea that everything you post on this forum as a guess about the comic has already been ninja'd by someone at some point...
    Proud White Cloak Acolyte of the Fan Club.

Neither murderous paladins nor psychotic liches shall ever extinguish the dream of Goblin Liberation. The Plan must continue.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    That would depend on what "posthumous" means on the OotS world. In a world where death is such a fleeting thing, it might very well mean "while dead" instead of "after death". It sure goes against the word's root for "post", but it's not like "after death" would be completely faithful to the roots either.

I'd take the character's interpretations as a hint here. While a dying Roy immediately assumed he was going to be revived, showing just how natural such a thing is in that world, neither Roy nor Durkon took the Oracle's prophecy to mean he'd be resurrected before reaching the Dwarven lands.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm more leaned towards another theory.
    Durkon gets raised and after they are done with Girards gate they are going after the Kraagors gate which happens to be around Durkons homeland.
    When Durkon returns (now posthumously since he's been dead), he is going to protect the gate with the rest of the Order. The chaos and destruction follow him in the form of Team Evil/Linear Guild.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    That would depend on what "posthumous" means on the OotS world.
    I would venture that if the Oracle meant something different than what the common English word meant to the audience, someone would have indicated such.

Or at least, Durkon would not have spelled out "It means 'after I die,'" instead of, "It means 'while I'm dead.'"

9. - Top - End - #9

BarbarianGuy

I could see the Order staking Durkon and hauling him to a cleric.

I could also see Belkar amusing himself by pulling out the stake, waking Durkon, and then putting the stake back in...repeatedly...until Roy catches him doing it.
    Last edited by stsasser; 2013-03-12 at 09:05 AM. Reason: bad spell

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Keep in mind that Roy knows how important it is to Durkon to be buried in the Dwarven homelands. If Durkon does wind up dead and can't be resurrected for whatever reason, I don't think that Roy would completely disregard his wishes for his body to be returned to his home to rest.

That said, given the other prophecy about Durkon's return, yes, I think it likely that he'll be a vampire.

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    That would depend on what "posthumous" means on the OotS world. In a world where death is such a fleeting thing, it might very well mean "while dead" instead of "after death". It sure goes against the word's root for "post", but it's not like "after death" would be completely faithful to the roots either.

I'd take the character's interpretations as a hint here. While a dying Roy immediately assumed he was going to be revived, showing just how natural such a thing is in that world, neither Roy nor Durkon took the Oracle's prophecy to mean he'd be resurrected before reaching the Dwarven lands.
    Death is not a fleeting thing in OOTS-verse. Raise dead is a fifth level cleric spell, and costs more money to cast than most individuals will see in their lifetimes. Is is only the very wealthy (e.g. mid to high level adventurers and the more powerful aristocrats) who have access to resurrecting magic.
    Real wizards use staves

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

It's also possible that Durkon gets destroyed and rezzed, but then doesn't manage to go back to the Dwarven lands within the story for some reason, and his body is taken there in an epilogue after he finally dies of old age. I don't think it's likely, but it's possible.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    I could also see Belkar amusing himself by pulling out the stake, waking Durkon, and then putting the stake back in...repeatedly...until Roy catches him doing it.
    That would be pretty funny.
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dying a second time is not necessary to fulfill the "posthumously" prophecy.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Doesn't Durkon need dirt from his homeland for his coffin, which Malack is about to make for him?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I would venture that if the Oracle meant something different than what the common English word meant to the audience, someone would have indicated such.

Or at least, Durkon would not have spelled out "It means 'after I die,'" instead of, "It means 'while I'm dead.'"
    FYI, "what the common English word means to the audience" is BOTH "after I die" AND "while I'm dead", because the two have always been 100% the same thing for us humans...

...and when you decide to allow the idea of possible resurrection to enter the scene, creating a distinction between the two, I would say that then, the idea of "what the common English word means to the audience" is in fact way closer to "while I'm dead".

Think about it.

(And, the way I see it, Durkon's "after I die" pretty clearly implies "after I die, but before my dying has been reversed, if it ever is". "After I die" means that you're dead... if you're not dead, then you're not in the state you'd be expected to be after you die, so it's really strongly implied there IMO.)
    Last edited by lio45; 2013-03-12 at 09:48 PM.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Well since we're arguing based off of definition let's get to brass tacks. We all know the post signifies after, but the root of humous is actually a name for soil high in organic content. So when broken down posthumous means after dirt.

And since they will be needing dirt for his coffin, I guess you could say his return to his will be posthumous in the most literal sense of the word.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grynberg View Post
    I'm more leaned towards another theory.
    Durkon gets raised and after they are done with Girards gate they are going after the Kraagors gate which happens to be around Durkons homeland.
    When Durkon returns (now posthumously since he's been dead), he is going to protect the gate with the rest of the Order. The chaos and destruction follow him in the form of Team Evil/Linear Guild.
    This is more or less what I think. The Oracle did have some flimsy interpretations of his other prophecies.
    Last edited by jedipilot24; 2013-03-13 at 11:21 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

"Option 2" seems actually VERY LIKELY.
    Let's say the world is saved, the adventure is over, and the Order has one casualty (or more) to take care of.
    It just seems right to bring the body back to his/her beloved ones.
    It's not like they have much better to do, anyway.

However, the fact that there is a second prophecy about Durkon, saying he will bring devastation to his homeland when he returns... it seems likely that yes, he's going back home as a vampire.
    Frankly, the moment Malack hinted at his "special diet", I had already connected both prophecies and concluded Durkon would have become a vampire.
    This is going to be the outcome at 99%. Unless it was a red herring by the Giant, and in that case, "option 2" is inevitable.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm convinced now Vampire Durkon will get to dwarven lands, still with Malack, probably in pursuit of the Order who's retreating to Kraagor's Gate.

You see, the prophecy said Durkon will bring death and destruction to dwarven lands, and he will return posthumously. He's now a vampire (posthumously) and as Malack's "brother" he will be a cleric of Nergal (god of Death and Destruction - with this exact capitalisation, which means probably clerical domains). So yeah, there are twists on many things, but I don't expect one here.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by jedipilot24 View Post
    This is more or less what I think. The Oracle did have some flimsy interpretations of his other prophecies.
    The point of those flimsy interpretations were to try and convince Belkar the prophecy of his killing someone on the list was already complete. They weren't serious interpretations, the Oracle was trying to avoid being killed.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I don't really buy the theory about resurrected Durkon coming back alive and well to his homeland. Technically it would be correct, but I think it's still a big stretch. I have better opinion of the Oracle and his prophecies than doing something like that.

Carrying his body all the way to dwarven homelands would be deja vu of Roy & Haley. Plus, it would involve another afterlife side story, which we also had already enough of. It would be pretty cool to see Durkon meeting Thor, but few dozen of strips like we've seen with Roy would be too much imo.

Also, resurrecting Durkon now would be really anticlimactic - if he could simply go back to his old self, why bother with the whole Malack's mysterious identity thing, saving Belkar and that epic, 7-strip long fight?
    Durkon's death had a huge impact on the story and it was carefully prepared. Resurrecting him too soon would be undoing of all that great development.

I think Durkon coming back as vampire is the most probable option now. So far we've seen him as vampire only in the stage of his hmm... infancy I suppose, so there is no way to tell how the vampirism affected his personality, judgment and alignment. However, I don't really see him as part of any of the evil teams. I think after he leaves Malack's protection, he might later rejoin the Order as their cleric, still being vampire.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    Reading OTOOPCs will give further clues.
    Oh that would be putting salt into the wound. :/
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Earlier on the forums, someone called him, 'Durkula', which I like, and is easier than 'Durkon Pre-Vampirisation', or 'Live Durkon', or 'Vampire!Durkon'.
    Last edited by Ozfer; 2013-03-14 at 10:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

I don't think I was the first to use the term "Durkula"- but I started using it not long after I first saw it.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

26. - Top - End - #26

I wouldn't be surprised if several people came up with the term independently. After all, it isn't a horribly difficult stretch to make.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

27. - Top - End - #27

Vampire Durkon is totally going to come through the fourth wall and slaughter everyone who has called him something silly before he gets resurrected.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Vampire Durkon is totally going to come through the fourth wall and slaughter everyone who has called him something silly before he gets resurrected.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eduwarkon Culldenhield
    Durferakon
    Durkith Shieldillith
    Andurgonal
    Sduriken
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

And martianmister apparently hates Durkon.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eduwarkon Culldenhield
    Durferakon
    Durkith Shieldillith
    Andurgonal
    Sduriken
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope. He's the Batmandwarf! a.k.a the Durk Knight.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.