Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Diablo 2 - The hack and slash game. [OoC4]

We are playing Diablo 2 using D&D 3.5 rules.

Quests:
    The Den of Evil.
    The Sisters' Burial Grounds
    The Search for Cain
    The Forgotten Tower
    The Tools of the Trade
    Sisters to the Slaughter
    Radament's Lair

The first OoC thread.
    The second OoC thread.
    The last OoC thread.

The 16 questions from the last recruitment thread, reposted for future reference:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
      D&D 3.5
    • 2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
      The Diablo 2 setting and storyline.
    • 3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
      1-3 additional players. I may contact those who didn't make the cut now if/when we get more dropouts.
    • 4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
      Here at the GitP forums.
    • 5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
      Character level 9th, precisely.
    • 6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
      WBL for ECL 9. Update: But you may not spend more than 10k on any single magic item. This is a quest-related restriction, which should be loosened soonTM.
    • 7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want?
      Indeed I do. Entrants will become members of a preexisting party, which should be kept in mind for purposes of avoiding role overlap. Currently, we have:
      • A TGO Healer. She heals, and does it well.
      • A Kellus Truenamer. General buffer, occasional summoner and toolbox.
      • A blaster Wizard who pulls out day-saving spells as a side habit.

Frontline-types should be the obvious additions, but don't feel completely restrained.
      However, as this is about as pure a hack and slash as it gets, characters that focus on diplomacy, stealth, or other such areas may find themselves out of place.
      Emulating the D2 classes is not necessary, but encouraged for reasons of fun and nostalgia.
    • 8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
      The setting consists of humans only. We can work out the refluffing of other medium-sized, LA +0, humanoid-shaped if there is a particular racial feature you are after.
    • 9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
      32 point buy, max HP for your HD at all levels. (The max HP rule does not apply to non-players. The players are substantially tougher than others in the world.)
    • 10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
      Write down an alignment for the purposes of how stuff like Holy Word affects you. Otherwise, hardly important.
    • 11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
      Multiclassing is allowed and does not incur XP penalties. Fractional base bonuses (from Unearthed Arcana) are in use, the initial +2 for taking a class with a good save only counted once.
    • 12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
      I will roll Spot checks, Listen checks and such things that may have to be secret, as well as rolls of the "everyone roll initiative and a fort save" type to save time. Everything else, you do, including if you want to actively spot or somesuch.
      We use the forum roller, either in the OoC thread, or in spoilers in the IC thread, as more appropriate.
    • 13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about?
      Several, including those we have accumulated during the last two years.
      • Death is not permanent, you are revived in town if you die. Death, however, causes you to lose 50% of the XP you have gathered towards your next level-up. It will take a few minutes to run back to your teammates (unless they pop open a Town Portal), which means you will probably miss the rest of the encounter. There is no plausible explanation for this.
      • You will be expected to keep track of your carrying capacity. Gold, however, is weightless.
      • Teleportation spells and effect with a range longer than your line of sight are banned.
      • All intelligent creatures know the human tongue.
      • Treasure is relatively random.
      • Traits are allowed.
      • The feat gaining progression is sped up, so you gain a feat at every odd-numbered level (level 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc.). In turn, Flaws are not allowed.
      • Energy Drain does not threaten you with level loss. If you fail your save to remove a negative level that would normally threaten to turn into permanent level loss, the negative level has its duration changed to "permanent" instead.
      • Incorporeality is changed. See this post.
      • Mobs (DMG2) are used to represent masses of creatures, with the changes outlined in this post.
      • Rather than using the values given on the Factotum class table, Factotums have a number of IP equal to (Factotum Level/2) + (Int Mod/2). For the price of a feat, levels in any one class (or PrC) stack with your Factotum level for the purposes of calculating your number of IP. Font of Inspiration is not allowed.
      • Players can take two feats to change the casting stat of a class. One feat for bonus spells and minimum casting stat, another for save DCs and minimum casting stat. You can take one, can take both, either would get you the minimum casting stat required to cast spells of a certain level.
      • The skills Spellcraft and Psicraft are merged into one skill, Spellcraft. The skills Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device are merged into one skill, Use Magic Device. Any class that has one of the merged skills on its class skill list has the combined skill (for example, Psions have the new Spellcraft on their class skill list).
      • Mobility allows you to tumble at full speed without penalty.
      • Spring Attack allows you to take a standard action in the middle of the move, rather than just an attack (similar to flyby attack).
      • Group initiative is used. Initiative is rolled for all combatants, the side with the highest average begins. Characters act in the order in which they desire (which usually means ASAP!).
    • 14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
      No, it is not required. You are for some reason in a place called the Rogue Encampment. You have heard a band of heroes is planning to reclaim the fallen Rogue Monastery from the demonic invasion, and you are eager to join.
    • 15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
      It wouldn't be Diablo 2 if it wasn't 99% hack & slash.
    • 16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
      All WotC D&D 3.5 material is available, including Dragon Magazine. However, I do not have access to every book or magazine out there, so you may have to find a way to show it to me if I don't have it.
      Homebrew is allowed as well. But. I ask you to not submit multiple character-incompatible bits of homebrew at a time (such as, say, two base classes you haven't decided which one you'd rather want) for review. In other words, decide what bits of homebrew you really want, and I will give that brew serious consideration.
      When it comes to homebrew, I tend to like class fixes and proper presentation. I tend to be irritated by sloppy wording.

Some additional ones, because just 16 aren't enough:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. This sounds cool, but I have never played Diablo 2. Can I join?
      If you actually want to, sure!
    2. Are we going to be following the Diablo 2 storyline?
      For the most part, yes. I have thrown out the quests from the game, and the players have tackled them. If you want to go somewhere else, skip quests, or kill a critical NPC, I'm not going to stop you, but so far, the pre-existing players have not shown a lot of initiative when it comes to that.
    3. What is the power level of this game?
      We have two competent Tier 3ish characters, and one reined-in Tier 1 character. Whatever your character does, it should be competent when it comes to doing it.
    4. Do you intend to go through the entire Diablo 2 storyline?
      Yes.
      Realize this when you apply. We're in it for the long haul.
    5. How often do you expect us to post?
      "Daily" when in combat, which is most of the time.
      By "daily", I mean that if we have been waiting on your turn for 24 hours, I reserve the right to put your character on autopilot to finish the round. Which A) I don't like doing, B) is boring for everyone, and C) deprives you of good-attendance bonus XP I hand out at the end of encounters.

Unique items you have found:

Now, feel free to pick a color you will use for your IC speech, say "yay, I got in!" (for the new guys), "hi, welcome" (for the old guys), and all that stuff.
    I reserve blue for NPCs.

NOTE!
    There is a specific format I am going to request you use on your posts in the IC thread. It is simple, and as follows:

First:
    Your character's name.

Second:
    A description of what you are doing, as flavourful (or not) as you want it to be.

Third:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A mechanical description of what you are doing.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2014-04-26 at 01:14 PM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Diablo 2 - The hack and slash game. [OoC4]

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    Edmond gets a 10% cut of 220 XP, in accordance with his combat participation. >=
    Considering I expected to get nothing, I'll call it a bonus and accept gracefully.
    Avatar by the illustrious Derjuin.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightbringer Adison, Swordmage priestess of Pelor, by the very talented Darwin.

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

{table=head]Player|Character|Class|XP|Level
    Koury|Corretha|Wizard/Metaphysical Spellshaper/Incantatrix|65058|11[/table]
    By my count, including the XP from this fight, I'm at 52,513 and am only 10th level (though closing in on 11).
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Was wondering how you passed Aldrick so handily.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ok, so, Paavo has 14 HP, so we need to go back to town to heal up, even if for just a few minutes. And there's Biscuit to deal with too...

Also, each mummy left us a 1500GP present. How many mummies were there total?

Edit: also, how much would it cost to get the Prayer of Anger immunity to fear ability tacked on to my current longsword?
    Last edited by peterpaulrubens; 2013-03-09 at 12:40 PM.
    The Good Reverend
    Just call me PPR, no need to type the whole thing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

There were ten of them.
    ...Unless she's cute.

7. - Top - End - #7

Ok, so 1500 * 10 / 6 = 2500 GP each.
    The Good Reverend

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of money, I can cast Chained Greater Magic Weapon at CL 12 in a fight or two.

Any chance of you guys subsidizing the cost of a Pearl of Power 4? Split 6 ways, thats 2666 GP. Pretty cheap for a +3 weapon.

EDIT: Also, Ernir, we need to go over Incantatrix soon. I'm due another level soon* and we never went over it last time I leveled.

*in game-time terms. I'm sure 1-2 fights will take a while.
    Last edited by Koury; 2013-03-09 at 02:19 PM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

9. - Top - End - #9

I can already get a +3 enhancement bonus at-will via the Path of the Weapon Master, so.. not really interested. Mostly because, I'm inclined to hoard my cash for the short-term future. There are a SHLOAD of undead in Act 2 (most of any Act, IMO) and they bring a never-ending horror-show of status ailments and afflictions. I'm going to be spending my money on either a) getting immune to those things or b) curing them.

I think we'll see a LOT of those zombies, so fear immunity/+fear saves is high on my list right now, hence my question to Ernir above.
    The Good Reverend

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm still going back and forth on the familiar thing. The main concern in my mind is that, if there's an xp/gp penalty for rezzing it, I may end up slipping further and further behind the curve. Getting further-penalized for doing poorly is not exactly my idea of a good time.

OTOH, I understand the logic entirely. If I were DM, it wouldn't even occur to me not to have some sort of cost for rezzing it. Why should a player get such a valuable service as auto-pet-rezzing for free? Familiars cost xp when they die, and we'd already be forgiving the year-and-a-day clause.

I can't accuse the offer of not being fair, I just don't know if I can bring myself to take it, not when I've gone out like a chump early in two fights in a row, despite (on paper) excellent defences. My familiar, no matter how I cheese it, isn't going to be nearly as durable as Tats, so I'm rather pessimistic about keeping it alive.

Any advice, anyone?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Any advice, anyone?
    Yes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

12. - Top - End - #12

Any advice, anyone?
    Didn't Ernir rule that there is no GP cost to raise it since you're already paying the XP penalty?

I think a familiar could work if you're tactically careful with it. 300 GP gets you a scroll of Town Portal for Lil Flappy to exit stage left if need be...
    The Good Reverend

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    By my count, including the XP from this fight, I'm at 52,513 and am only 10th level (though closing in on 11).
    Uhh, you've been above that particular value for a while, by my count.

Here's one table, and another, and another. Where did the communications misfire happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar
    Was wondering how you passed Aldrick so handily.
    Character switching, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by PPR
    Also, each mummy left us a 1500GP present. How many mummies were there total?
    As Koury said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Koury
    There were ten of them.
    Edit: also, how much would it cost to get the Prayer of Anger immunity to fear ability tacked on to my current longsword?
    Looks like a 6k GP enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Koury
    EDIT: Also, Ernir, we need to go over Incantatrix soon.
    Yes, we do!

Didn't Ernir rule that there is no GP cost to raise it since you're already paying the XP penalty?
    I did, although I may not have been very clear about it. The XP penalty (that I forgot about) is quite bad enough.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2013-03-10 at 08:01 PM.

Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

14. - Top - End - #14

Mother-lovin' SOLD.
    The Good Reverend

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Where did the communications misfire happen?
    No idea? I went back and looked and my most recent level up was certainly only up to 10. It was my second level of incantatrix. I asked about Cooperative metamagic.

So apparently I'm a level up then. And very nearly another. Weird. I'll wait to gain my 12th level and just apply both at once. Hopefully just one more fight.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpaulrubens View Post
    I can already get a +3 enhancement bonus at-will via the Path of the Weapon Master, so.. not really interested.
    Do keep in mind that me buffing your weapon would result in you having 3 (eventually 5) Determination that would then be freed up to be placed elsewhere, and for really cheap. Of course, not having the cash and or having the cash earmakred already is fine. We can always do it later too. And the same for any spell, really.

Dont be afraid to look to me for buffs is, I guess, my main point.

Re: Incantatrix - Here are a few proposals for each ability.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st: Bonus metamagic feat, focused study
    These abilities are fine.

2nd: Cooperative metamagic
    This ability I have a few questions about, if I end up keeping it at all.

Question 1, if I apply Maximize Spell to Edmond's Wings of Flurry, do I get a lower Spellcraft check then usual because my Maximize is only a +1 metamagic, instead of the normal +3?

Question 2, if I ready an action to boost an allies spell, and fail the roll, does it count against my per day usages?

3rd: Metamagic effect
    Strong effect. Let me know what, if any changes you want me to make to it. Or what to change it out for.

4th: Bonus metamagic feat
    Works for me (and a large part of why I'm here)

5th: Metamagic spell trigger
    Meh. Would gladly trade this out for Bonus Metamagic Feat or a second copy of Metamagic School Focus or something.

6th: Seize concentration
    Same as above, really...

7th: Bonus metamagic feat, instant metamagic 1/day
    Would like both of these to remain as is. Not sure if you think Instant Meta is too powerful or not.

8th: Snatch spell
    I don't mind keeping this one. Situational as hell, but can be useful.

9th: Instant metamagic 2/day
    Happy as is.

10th: Bonus metamagic feat, improved metamagic
    Imp Meta we have said before will stack with Metamagic Mastery from Metaphys.Spellshaper, but I can never reduce below +1. They don't apply per meta or anything, its just a flat -2 from total spell level.
    Last edited by Koury; 2013-03-10 at 10:31 PM.
    ...Unless she's cute.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Not that it's terribly important at the moment, but I'm on both the active and inactive player list (with two different characters to boot), and Edmond's current class column is inaccurate.

Because you didn't have enough to do already.

On the subject of dividing pearls of power: I'm afraid I really have no use for GMW. Edmond has a sword solely so he threatens spaces, and in a very tight pinch can use Whirling Blade for a line stun attack. I don't think I have ever attacked with it thus far.
    Last edited by Jarian; 2013-03-11 at 02:33 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    Spoiler
    Show

Bunny!Adison by Alarra!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Weird. I'll wait to gain my 12th level and just apply both at once. Hopefully just one more fight.
    I have it on good authority that that's likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Re: Incantatrix - Here are a few proposals for each ability.
    Spoiler
    Show
    1st: Bonus metamagic feat, focused study
    These abilities are fine.

2nd: Cooperative metamagic
    This ability I have a few questions about, if I end up keeping it at all.

Question 1, if I apply Maximize Spell to Edmond's Wings of Flurry, do I get a lower Spellcraft check then usual because my Maximize is only a +1 metamagic, instead of the normal +3?

Question 2, if I ready an action to boost an allies spell, and fail the roll, does it count against my per day usages?

3rd: Metamagic effect
    Strong effect. Let me know what, if any changes you want me to make to it. Or what to change it out for.

4th: Bonus metamagic feat
    Works for me (and a large part of why I'm here)

5th: Metamagic spell trigger
    Meh. Would gladly trade this out for Bonus Metamagic Feat or a second copy of Metamagic School Focus or something.

6th: Seize concentration
    Same as above, really...

7th: Bonus metamagic feat, instant metamagic 1/day
    Would like both of these to remain as is. Not sure if you think Instant Meta is too powerful or not.

8th: Snatch spell
    I don't mind keeping this one. Situational as hell, but can be useful.

9th: Instant metamagic 2/day
    Happy as is.

10th: Bonus metamagic feat, improved metamagic
    Imp Meta we have said before will stack with Metamagic Mastery from Metaphys.Spellshaper, but I can never reduce below +1. They don't apply per meta or anything, its just a flat -2 from total spell level.
    Hmm, finally reading it over, I think we're going to get away with some rather modest modifications for now if you can promise me not to take Persistent Spell. Corretha's blasting has been hitting a really sweet effectiveness spot so far from my perspective: She sometimes hits for very solid damage on single targets, sometimes she does OK-ish multi-target damage, she sometimes misses, she sometimes hits elemental vulnerabilities and sometimes has problems with energy resistance. The character's blasting is just... fine, and I would hate to have Persistent Spell and its associated bag of holding of worms to mess it up.

So, changes (assuming you're OK with no Persist ):
    • Cooperative Metamagic, Metamagic effect, Metamagic Spell Trigger: Uses down to 3/day (not 3+Int). The first two's Spellcraft DCs use the modified level.
    • Instant Metamagic: No persist, and it's a 2/day Bigger Nuke button. I'm OK with that.
    • Improved Metamagic is per spell, not per feat, as discussed.

Theoretically, the class is still really overpowered. Practically, I'm hoping for more of a satisfying oomph.

This work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    Not that it's terribly important at the moment, but I'm on both the active and inactive player list (with two different characters to boot), and Edmond's current class column is inaccurate.

Because you didn't have enough to do already.
    Whooops, will fix. Just not right now.

18. - Top - End - #18

BTW, how long does that take to enchant?

And are we resting for the night? Paavo doesn't need to, but he sure wouldnt mind having immunity to fear before venturing back down there. I know Corretha used a truckload of spells too, and Biscuit has .. issues.
    The Good Reverend

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I could heal people, but that's not a great use of spell slots. Of course, I didn't really get to use them here, but that's more the situation. Stupid Fear effects.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

20. - Top - End - #20

I did, although I may not have been very clear about it. The XP penalty (that I forgot about) is quite bad enough.
    My problem is that this'll end up putting me further and further behind the party, even if I eventually switch characters. I'd prefer a gp cost or one-time sacrifice, unless the xp cost is going to be negigible.

Or I could just get something else. Hrmmm...

- Ability Focus: Breath
    - Entangling Exhalation
    - Maximize Breath
    - Empower Supernatural Ability
    - Shape Soulmeld (probably Dracon Mantle)
    - Extra Essentia (with the former, gets stacking Resist 9 all elements)

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

This work?
    Yeah, I can live with those changes. No Persist was a limit I was already working with. The abilities cut to 3/day stings, but I can see it. And really, it's just the idea that stings, I'm not sure I'd have used it much more then that on any given day anyway.

And are we resting for the night?
    I have a fight left in me, maybe two. I have a lot of my bigger gun spells left still. One Max Admix'd Lesser Orb, two Max'd Orbs, an Admix'd Lesser, etc, etc.

Not that I'm opposed to resting, mind you. Especially with Ernirs ominous quote up there.

I have it on good authority that that's likely.
    ...Unless she's cute.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe that Biscuit is into the negatives now, -6 to be exact.

Also, we got 1500 gp each for that fight? I swear it was there one minute, then gone the next.

If so I would like to buy 2 belts if healing.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    Also, we got 1500 gp each for that fight? I swear it was there one minute, then gone the next.
    2500. ........
    ...Unless she's cute.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

BTW, how long does that take to enchant?
    1 day, assuming you Waypoint back to Charsi and the Malus.
    My problem is that this'll end up putting me further and further behind the party, even if I eventually switch characters. I'd prefer a gp cost or one-time sacrifice, unless the xp cost is going to be negigible.
    Hmm. A one-time sacrifice isn't quite going to work - it's a re-usable HP bag that way. Fully disposable minions are really good to have on a field.

But I'm open to suggestions on alternate penalties for the familiar dying. Something of more tactical than character-build relevance?

Post is still here as of this posting. 2500 GP each indeed.

No problem there, although I feel inclined to point out that you can't wear both at once (although you can re-buckle in a dungeon), and that

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

No problem there, although I feel inclined to point out that you can't wear both at once (although you can re-buckle in a dungeon), and that
    The plan is simply use them between fights to heal myself, if you're healing in combat that's a very bad sign.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am adding this spoiler now so you will not call bull later. Note the date and time of the edit.

The claw viper high priest has an active Pact of Return. He will return if he dies on the blade of the famous hero, Paavo of Mount Arreat.

The plan is simply use them between fights to heal myself, if you're healing in combat that's a very bad sign.
    Looks like I accidentally some words.

"and that you can heal for free in town", that was supposed to say.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2014-01-31 at 01:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Hmm. A one-time sacrifice isn't quite going to work - it's a re-usable HP bag that way. Fully disposable minions are really good to have on a field.

But I'm open to suggestions on alternate penalties for the familiar dying. Something of more tactical than character-build relevance?
    Well... as far as "disposable sacks of HP" go, the competition is Summons. The only real difference between this and a long-duration Summon is that with Summons you can usually customize what you get, and you can cast the spell more than once.

"Call Zelekhut": 5th lvl Sor/Wiz spell, 100 XP, CR 9 creature, 1 hour
    "Call Nightmare": 5th lvl Sor/Wiz spell, no cost, CR 5 creature, 1 week duration, limit one.
    "Draconic Familiar": two feats, ??? cost, CR 3 + familiar bonuses, limit one.

...weighing two feats against an occasional 5th lvl spell slot, and CR 3 + familiar bonuses against a CR 5.... IDK. Is a further cost really necessary?

But the more I think about it, the more I like Dragon Mantle. Act 2 has those gorram lightning bugs, acid everywhere, fire grenades, etc. And it also frees up Empower Supernatural Ability, which may be only 1/day but still adds on to my burst. Let's go with that and same Draconic Familiar for a while.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Keep in mind that the spells also are full round actions. Those are hilariously easy to disrupt, and eat up quite a bit of action economy.

I don't think the current method is balanced, but I'm not sure there really is a way to make it balanced.
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #29

I think you still owe us for the Death's Sash. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1322
    The Good Reverend

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Keep in mind that the spells also are full round actions. Those are hilariously easy to disrupt, and eat up quite a bit of action economy.
    I would not call a spell with a 1 week duration "hilariously easy to disrupt".

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show