New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Making Vorpal better (3.5) PEACH

The vorpal enhancement gains three new additions:

1. Vorpal weapons are automatically considered keen.
    2. Vorpal weapons have their crit modifier increased by one.
    3. On a natural 20, a vorpal weapon severs the head of any creature affected by critical hits. If a creature is not affected by critical hits (includes people in fortified armor), the vorpal weapon instead gets a crit as normal (with the increased multiplier), but not the beheading effect.

If you want an explanation for how that works on a creature immune to crits (like a golem or a zombie), I imagine the vorpal weapon magically damaging the link to the creature's power source.
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2015-01-21 at 04:30 AM. Reason: boldened text
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Making Vorpal better (3.5) PEACH

I had vorpal weapons not just behead but slice creatures completely in two, even those not subject to critical hits, except for oozes or something that is just a mass of jelly. I did not increase the threat range, but I did let the "kill stroke" occur with any successful critical hit.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, the extra crit damage doesn't stack well with the insta-kill ability, but it helps. That alone is worth a +3 I'd say. So really you're paying +2 for vorpal, which is a great deal even when you're forced to combine it with something that it does not combine well with.

Unchanged you can optimize vorpal by getting 9 attacks at very high levels, then pick up bonuses to confirm critical hits. You kill once every 2 full attacks which is about par, or above par if you can focus on the BBEG. And some things are immune at which time you're in trouble. Though you could use +1 vorpals so you can put most of your money into other weapons for the immune foes. That's a lot of work just to hit par some of the time. While technically you might get the original vorpal to be effective in specialized circumstances, it could use a little help. The OP's solution isn't bad, and it gives partial effectiveness in situations that would normally get you in trouble.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2013-03-11 at 03:38 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Could just make it a synergy ability for keen... like xing burst for elementa damage bonuses.

The insta kill is a bit powerful, what about adding damage on a crit like the elemental bursts? Like +3d4 damage on a successful crit and +4 to confirm the crit.
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    If a creature is not affected by critical hits (includes people in fortified armor), the vorpal weapon instead gets a crit as normal (with the increased multiplier), but not the beheading effect.
    Of all the suggestions, I like this one the best. It's not just one more +1 bonus stacked together, it's actually something unique and different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

They were intended to be included together, so a vorpal weapon would be keen/+1 modifier/beheads on 20 (or normal crit on 20, if immune) - all in one.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies