Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 175
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    This is the In-Character thread for the Wok Play-by-Post game. Posting here if you are not a member of the thread is probably a terrible idea.

    Out of Character
    Last edited by Conor77; 2013-03-15 at 03:35 PM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    The day is as bright and cold as any in the late autumn has the right to be. Clouds tower in majesty on the edges of the horizon, leaving blue sky between you and the sun. Salor itself stands majestically tall, fields in front of it, mountains at its back. The field that opens up beneath that sun is being picked at by vultures. They know what gathers near here. They know what happens next.

    And you know too. You gather at the parapets of Salor, peering at the blackness crossing the fields. They are about a mile and a half away from the city, which means you have about an hour until the infantry march here, less for the forward skirmishers. You aren't really supposed to be on the parapets, since those are for the archers. But those men and women are sitting slumped against the wall, merely waiting for their time to do and die. They say nothing to you, so you continue to gaze into the approaching army.

    None of this would be accepted if any of you were proper soldiers. With a few exceptions, you just aren't. Even the soldiers don't really act like warriors, most of them probably replaying their last conversations with their families. Aside from a few exceptions, most around you are just regular citizens or travelers with some spears and chain shirts. A few notables are a doruk polishing and checking some oily piece of weaponry she brought from Eastern Te'ara, and one human who just mutters to himself while paging through a book. He's supposed to be some kind of mage, but it looks like he can't handle eating oatmeal, let alone the mysteries of the universe.

    In short, you feel rather helpless. You share this feeling with almost everyone in the city.

    What do you do now?
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    "Right then," August finally said, turning and heading down from the walls, moving to take up a position with the warriors at the gate, where he figured the heaviest fighting would likely be. He'd guarded that gate for years, albeit mainly against people trying to enter without proper authorization, or the odd beast or bandit. Not an army.

    Well, no matter. The scale was different, but the rules were the same. They wanted to get into his city, they'd have to get through him first.
    "A role playing game is three things: it is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking."

    "If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire."

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Kurt groans, his head cradled in his arms which shield his eyes from the harsh light of day. He can barely stand to be outside with this hangover, but his roiling stomach makes the idea of standing to face what comes all but impossible. The brutish Joshorun leans sideways from his crouch at the base of the fortifications and vomits loudly. Grogily, he wipes the back of his hand across his mouth. The taste is vile, but at least his stomach has settled down.

    He prises himself away from the wall leaning heavily on his spear, and makes his way to the top of the wall to take another look.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Kurt's second view looks much as the first did. The forest that originally stood on the slopes of the mountain and across the field was torn down and fed to the growing city, to provide building material and to prevent enemy movements from being hidden. As their scout cavalry dares dip closer and closer to the walls, you almost wish they did have cover for their movements. The horde in front of you is, frankly, insurmountable. Salor has some of the best Magigrammatical defenses spellcasters could give it, but the numbers out there... they might make you more sick than the alcohol did. Easily over 100,000 troops, all of them trained heavily and Lots of people joke grimly that if there was a back entrance they would flee without question. This was followed by a lot of people searching for one, in every conceivable location. They found a street urchin in the lord's throne-room, trying to uproot the throne to get to the secret entrance he thought was beneath.

    The Doruk with the odd weapon walks over to August as he approaches the gate. You judge her age to be more or less 80ish. She says, in a voice that sounds slightly hoarse, "Now whassa kid like you doing out here by the gate? You should be someplace else, back further up"
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    "At your command," August replied, taking that for an order and heading back up the walls, sheathing his flail, securing his shield, and taking out his bow.
    "A role playing game is three things: it is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking."

    "If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire."

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    "Kid", she darts forward, and grabs him by the shoulder.

    "I ain't your commander!" She chuckles before continuing, "No one's the commander out here. I don't think anyone really even cares anymore. Hey, don't lets go on the wall, they'll be shooting people up there soon, I don't want to see you go down that way. The rest of us are sharing a drink over to the left of the gate, you want in? We're just biding time until they run us over anyways, might as well have a ball while we're at it, eh?"

    She speaks quickly, obviously very tightly wound.
    Last edited by Conor77; 2013-03-16 at 11:07 PM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    August nodded slowly, followed for about two steps, then halted. Someone did care. He did. For a moment, he wanted to snap at the woman and her defeatist attitude.

    But he didn't expect it would help. "Aye, I'll take you up on that drink. After we win!" he said with a wink, before looking with a critical eye at the forces and fortifications they had assembled, trying to consider any manner of strategy more advanced than "plant yourself in the gate and swing the flail around until your arm falls off". No one was in command, hmm? Well, someone had better step up then!

    Was it hopeless? Maybe. But he'd still put everything he had into trying. It wasn't for nothing his friends called him Badger.
    "A role playing game is three things: it is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking."

    "If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    "Heh, back entrance."

    Kurt grunts to himself with amusement. Of course, the unintentional double entendre tickled the baser humour recently awoken by his recent tavern experiences, but it was more the idea of running from such an implacable foe that caused him to chuckle. Nothing short of divine intervention was going to save them now.

    He set his spear to one side, laid his crossbow down in front of himself and knelt. Through the fuzz of the recent alcohol abuse, he searched for the appropriate words, a request for divine protection from those gods that supported white order and peace.

    "Dear gods of White,
    Order, grace and light,
    Grant to us protection
    From all who'd harm the right."

    It started off as a simple litany, repeated over and over to bring comfort, but soon, Kurt remembered a tune from his childhood, a simple, but powerful melody, that he used when originally learning the words that turned them from comforting to heartening. His voice is gruff at first, alcohol abuse having done nothing for his vocal chords, but it carries the words well in the chill air.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    GMT -8:00
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    "Tell me again - why are we slogging our way across this rain-soaked, mud-ridden, bandit-infested, GODS-FORSAKEN road to Salor? Our clients always come to us, not the other way around."
    "Because, Xander, no one has ever made us an offer that ended in so many zeroes."
    "As if we're going to see any of it..."
    "What?"
    "Nothing. You've kept all our papers dry, haven't you? The sooner we finish, the sooner we can be home in our own beds in Treth."

    --------

    'How long ago was that? A month? A week? ...a day?' Xander opened his eyes to the sky, which was brighter and bluer than it had any right to be on such a miserable day. Everything that had happened after arriving in Salor was just a blur in his memory. Things had been going so well at first: the meeting with the mercantile company, the pleasantly quick negotations, the contracts that had been drawn up and signed after only a few days. And then the news came. The caravan and guards who had escorted them to Balarath fled the city in the middle of the night, leaving Xander and his associate trapped in a city where everyone who had some way of fleeing had already done so.

    And so he found himself leaning against the battlements on the walls of Salor, holding a borrowed shortspear in one hand and trying his hardest not to think about the battle he had become swept up in a long time ago. Xander lifted his free hand and furrowed his brow, staring at his fingers until a few sparks of light briefly flashed into life. 'At least I have my magic.' He clenched his hand into a fist. 'I only hope that's worth something.'
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2013-03-18 at 12:22 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    August notes that the runes normally coating the wall, providing it with extra strength, hardness, and special defenses, were bright enough today to rival the sun. You'd heard from some of the other guards that the entire wall could channel magical energy, and that the silver decorations on the outside were conduits that could provide extra defenses. Sounded like pure fancy until today, when you can see lightning arcing between the chrome spikes. The gate itself, you notice, is also sparking. Best not to touch it. Someone's dragged a metal barrel beside to the left of the gate, and lit a fire inside it. A number of soldiers carouse around it, even those on the wall battlements gathering around the rising heat. You also see the gate-defense commander, drinking some ale and staring deeply into the fire.

    The soldiers around Kurt give him a polite applause. One Aaran, looks like just a random person caught up in all this, asks Kurt, "Umm...sir? You're a priest, right? Do, you, uhh, could you pray for me? I'm only eighty-f-" He (she?) catches herself (himself?) and blushes, "...only a kid. I don't want to die". The Aaran seems shaky, and indeed very young, a child by any measure except age. Not that the human-dominant Salor would catch that. Poor kid probably got the wrong sex put on their draft papers too.

    The enemy army gets closer. By this time, the horse scouts are close enough to shoot with arrows. Two of them indeed are shot, before the rest run back to join the army.

    You can already see the trolls and the Enlarged heavy infantry, as well as various siege weapons. Any doubt about the wall's magic is erased as the crenelations burst into life, sending magical defenses screeching upwards, just as the first ballistae fall upon the wall. The battle is starting, and yet the only thing you can do for now is wait.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Kurt looks up at the young soldier. A twinge of pity pulls at his heart. Someone so young spiritually should not have to put their life on the line. Still, with what was coming, no one would be truly safe. He pats the ground before him and motions the youngster to kneel there. Taking their hands he recites another prayer.

    "Gods of life and light, watch over this soul, grant... uh," he struggles with the gender for a moment before deciding to just skip that bit, "this one protection from all who would, uh, do harm.".

    Satisfied that he had circumvented upsetting the youth, he stands and pats himself down.

    "Oh for..."

    He bends down and picks up his weapons.

    "Hey, kid, where do I find ammunition around here? I'm all out of bolts, apparently."
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2013-03-18 at 12:54 AM.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    August made his way over to the commander. "Commander?" he asked. "Thinkin' they'll be here 'fore long. What's the battle plan?"

    He was eyeing the walls warily as the fireworks started. It was impressive, but he didn't really like the idea of letting the walls do the heavy fighting. Much as he was used to having them at his back, he wasn't quite sure he trusted them to have his back, as yet.

    Blink.
    "A role playing game is three things: it is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking."

    "If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire."

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Walker caught himself flinching in spite of himself. It was hard not to when you saw a giant bolt promising death in a very painful, large fashion flying in your general direction.

    It never hit however. He breathed out a huge sigh of relief as he saw the wall hold. With a shake he moved away from the battlements. He had seen the opening shots. No show of men on the wall was going to dissuade the enemy from this attack. The chance to bluff has passed. And with that, the only role he played on the wall had passed. An unarmed man looking out at the army. The only way he'd get involved is if one of them broke the wall and rushed him point blank.

    He shuddered and backed away from the wall some more. He started to find some steps down to ground level, more than willing to abandon his post for the moment. It wasn't his fight. He wasn't meant for it, he wasn't trained for it. He told himself that as he looked inward. Past the walls, past the soldiers pressed into service, citizens with simple tools and weapons called to the defense. Abandoned houses. He could go there, he could hide. Maybe pick up a few pieces in the confusion. Surely no invading army was as familiar with the city as he was. They'd never find him... and if we held the wall? Well... they'd probably be too tired to care to do anything about it for the moment.

    Walker Tam was rubbing his hands as he went down the stairs at a rapid clip. He hit the ground and was striding away from the wall. He heard scared, confused people at the gate. Some priest calling down what seemed to be a half hearted benediction upon a soldier. Another confused about their role. Walker scoffed. Fear allayed by falsehoods. He found his mouth opening to interject before he thought better about it.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    The hail of missiles almost sounds like electric rain against the wall.

    The Aaran child says they don't know anything about ammunition, and to ask Commander Kenten.

    Meanwhile, Commander Kenten looks up at August, carefully wipes the top of his bottle, and shoves a rag in it. You notice he hasn't actually exhausted much of the contents of the bottle. He sees you looking and smiles, "Booze bombs've saved my life before, might today, too." His face then hardens, "Plan is to hold this wall. At first I didn't know what they'd throw at us, on account of how they haven't exactly left many survivors to tell the tale, but now we know they've got looottts of spellcasters. Which means we should be in good shape, because of the wall. It also means that we change tactics to try to intercept anything summoned or crafted to break the Wall. The other gates will do something similar, and the areas of straight wall are nigh unbreakable so we don't have to worry there. Actually, Salor is probably the only fortress that could withstand something like this.

    At first, he was shouting above the din, but gradually he came down in volume to a voice projected to those around the wall. You notice that now there are only a few arrows pattering against the magical surge.

    The Commander swears, and then begins yelling, "That means they're moving in infantry, bowmen to the walls, I want everyone drawn and ready, anyone with a polearm stand by the gate, stick it through the holes at them, everyone else on me!

    Everyone has barely enough time to register his command when a massive boulder comes punching through the magical defenses and smashes part of the wall, rolling off and down onto the barrel-fire. At least 8 soldiers are killed immediately, including the Aaran. Kurt was close enough to feel the whoosh, and August is literally right next to it now.

    Everyone just sort of stares at the thing.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    August's head swerved fast to the boulder, eyes going momentarily wide, but he quickly gathered his wits, took a breath, and formed up, taking up a position beside the commander. The man's leadership would be critical to fending this assault, which meant that there was no better place for August to be than at his side to fend anyone coming after him.

    He clenched his flail and shield at the ready, awaiting something to hit.
    "A role playing game is three things: it is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking."

    "If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire."

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    "Dammit, someone give me some bolts!" shouts Kurt after recovering from the shock. There are tears in his eyes. What a way to go. At least it was quick. "Someone show me where this captain Kenten is!"

    Kurt is shaking a little, a combination of rage, fear and shock assaulting his body.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Not taking his eyes off the boulder, Kenten says loud enough to be heard, "That's Commander Kenten". He continues to stare.

    "Now how the hell does this one boulder make it through, I wonder...", he says.

    Ruminations are rather rudely interrupted by a huge, low horn. [Something akin to this] The sound travels up your legs and through your body, rattling your skull around with its power. It seems to come at first from the boulder, and then from across the wall. You realize more of these things fell, all across the wall, and that together, the rumble they emit is a signal.

    The boulder cracks. Stone jumps apart and falls to the ground as spiderweb cracks turn into gaping caverns across the surface of the rough sphere.

    The old man who was muttering over the books runs shrieking "Get away! Get away! It is immune to weapon and spell!"

    The stone...stands up, far taller than a humanoid. At first your eye can't trace the outline well enough, but soon you see it as sort of the shape of a man. More stone falls off, and you see the shell rock as some kind of concrete, inside of which is a form of pure, dark granite, humanoid. With only a slight delay, it turns around and stumbles towards the gate, leaving trails of concrete in its wake.

    Commander Kenten shouts immediately, "IT'S GOING TO BREAK THE GATE, SOMEONE TAKE IT OUT!", he lights his prepared firebomb immediately and lobs it, a perfect hit on the shambling form. The monster of course does not pause to consider the heat.
    Last edited by Conor77; 2013-03-18 at 11:56 PM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    GMT -8:00
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    At the sound of the rumbling horn, Xander looked up and then turned around to see out onto the battlefield. He could see the large boulder laying rather innocently on the gr- 'Are those cracks?' He didn't have much time to take a closer look. As the noise grew louder and louder, he was forced to shut his eyes and clasp his hands to his ears. 'Where is that infernal noise coming from?!' Over the sound of the horn and the rumbling of the boulder as it broke open, indistinct shouting could be heard and so he opened his eyes again and let go of his ears. "...weapon and spell!" He looked back at the boulder, only to see a large, golem-like thing towering over the soldiers who were scrambling towards it. Most of the men who had been near him were rushing off the wall, towards the gate - presumably to take up defensive positions or maybe to attack it head-on.

    Xander quickly decided that being on the walls was probably a bad idea now that it stood a good chance of being breached. Scratch that. It stood a good chance of being smashed into rubble. "Well, this is going to be the shortest siege in history," he quipped. He half-heartedly pointed his index finger at the concrete golem-thing, took a brief moment to aim, and loosed a thin ray of eldritch magic. Xander didn't expect it to do much, if anything. Without stopping to see if it had, he told himself, "Worth a shot," and then started running to get off the wall as quickly as he could.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2013-03-19 at 12:28 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Someone take it out. Someone take it out.

    Walker found himself seriously considering that. He felt his fingers flexing. This was a moment, make or break. He might be some hero to these guys if he suceeded. Just imagine the sort of leverage that would give. THAT thought brought a smile to Walker's face as he measured out the golem closest to the gate. He reached for his tools, pulling out some climbing gear.

    At the very least, it'll be a hell of a story, he thought, as he considered what he was about to do.

    Walker broke out in a run towards the golem, hoping it was too occupied with it's programed goal to really notice a guy who wasn't explicitly bearing weapons or attacking it. With a running start he threw himself at the golem, trying to CLIMB the thing and get up onto it's shoulders, certain that if the thing did have an off switch, or some magical control behind it, it'd be in that hard to reach, hard to hit area.

    (Guessing you need a climb check:

    (1d20)[17] + 3 Str Bonus, +4 Climb Ranks

    Here's hoping that the dice favor the insane.)

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    At first Kurt assumes that this commander was crushed by the boulder, but something in his tone of voice, an emphasis on "commander", and a sense of pride, suggests that he might actually have accidentally addressed the commander.

    He sighs in resignation that the gods seem to wish him ill today, then jumps back as the rock begins to split. As the stone gradually assumes humanoid form he takes another shocked step back.

    "White preserve us all!"

    Seeing others charging for the giant stone creature he slings his useless crossbow over his shoulder and grabs his spear. With a cry of pent up rage he charges after the retreating back of the golem.
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2013-03-19 at 01:26 AM.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    August looked at the creature, eyed his flail dubiously, looked back at the creature, and narrowed his eyes. "Right then."

    He too charged after it, taking a hard swing. "Come on then boulder-brain, let's see what yeh got!" he yelled, trying to draw its attention in what was no doubt a brilliant defensive strategy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Full Round - Charge: (1d20+7)[17] for (1d8+3)[11]. -2 AC for rest of round.

    Iron Guard's Glare will cause it to take -4 to hit against my allies while it remains in my threatened area.

    ::Hard stare::The wall is an ally.
    "A role playing game is three things: it is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking."

    "If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Xander's blast surges forward, but fades and ebbs into nothing before it reaches the rock-man.

    Kurt and August wail on the thing, crunching concrete but not even scoring the hard granite beneath. August does seem to do a little damage when he attacks behind the creature's massive knee, as he hears a sharp splinter instead of the "thwack" everyone else is getting. They do seem to spur other members of the army, who try to hold the golem back or damage it. But it wades through the forces attacking without so much as a a stumble. Walker takes a running jump, over the heads of those around it, and starts scaling the golem. The cracks and chunks of light-grey rocks still clinging to the golem make it an easy climb to the top of the thing's head, though he dislodges a lot of it on the way, including the flaming debris left by the firebomb.

    Once there, he feels around its head with his hands. He feels the standard "human-ish" face that most golem sculptors go for (the vague bone-arrangement, browline, jawline, nose, etc.) with the exception of the mouth, which is open like a mail slot, and its forehead, in which is stuck a black, gemstone sphere. As you touch it, the sphere swivels, and you feel the texture on it is reminiscent of an eye, with the pupil being slightly depressed, the iris gently lined, and even very minute veins around the edges. As the eye swivels, the golem stops, and begins to reach up its massive hands...
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming by OOC thread that means we're up again; if not, let me know and will delete post.


    "The joints! Go for the joints!" August yelled above the din, demonstrating with another whack for the creature's knee.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Vanguard Strike at (1d20+5)[15] for (1d8+3)[5]. If the attack hits, allies receive a +4 bonus on attack rolls against the golem for one round.

    Maneuvers Available: 1.
    "A role playing game is three things: it is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking."

    "If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Well, if someone had an idea it was more than Kurt had. He jabs at the back of the knees.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[17] to hit
    (1d8+3)[4] damage
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2013-03-19 at 03:22 PM.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    GMT -8:00
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Xander jumped down the last few steps and stopped dead for a moment. 'I'm in a battle,' he thought bemusedly. 'I've barely done anything, but I'm actually in a battle. Shouldn't I be terrified?' His hands were starting to shake, but he couldn't tell why. Was it fear? Or excitement? He clenched his hands into fists and shook his head, as if that would disabuse him of the notion. 'No! No. No heroics,' he told himself emphatically. 'You're not a soldier! You've got to hide somewhere.' But that wouldn't work either. If the invading army breached the walls, how long would the defenders hold? Was there any chance of them winning? If they lost, being pinned down in a building would be worse than being cut down in the open. Burning, starving, capture, torture, slavery. Who knows what? He'd be trapped like a rat. Xander looked up again, towards the gate and unclenched his fists.

    "Worth a shot."

    He ran as quickly as he could, following the surge of conscripted men and desperate defenders through the gate. Still, his caution hadn't suddenly evaporated into blind recklessness. He saw the golem almost immediately, but he certainly wasn't going to flail at it helplessly with his spear. Xander raised his hand, taking a few moments to properly aim this time. "Please work," he whispered as he fired.

    -----
    Actions taken
    Spoiler
    Show

    Invoke an eldritch blast at the golem's legs: (1d20+2)[17]
    (Critical confirmation, if necessary): (1d20+2)[16]
    Damage: (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2013-03-21 at 12:19 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    "Okay... time to bail!" Walker called out loudly to help focus himself. He jammed his hand into the Eye, forming a pointed blow and driving it as hard as he could into the "eye" of the Golem. Regardless of hit, miss, or otherwise, he was gonna jump off and bail before the thing squished him flat, taking a dive off its back to land behind the golem.

    ( Guessing you want an attack roll: (1d20)[14] + 1 BAB + 3 Str bonus.

    And in case luck continues the favor the foolish: (1d6)[6] +3 Str Bonus )
    Last edited by ArcturusV; 2013-03-21 at 12:33 AM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    [Xander, the gates are shut and locked, the golem dropped inside the gates and is moving towards them. Your action still stands]

    Xander skips down the steps from walls, as soldiers move both ways, shouting. He aims where everyone seems to be jabbing their various weapons and lets loose with another blast of mysterious magical energy, which again goes "ptew" before it can so much as close with the golem.

    August and Kurt both join with other soldiers thwacking away at the backs of the knees of the golem. Nothing really gets done, and it begins to get very crowded. You hear a few more splinters, but none under your own blows.

    Except for Walker. Walker, deciding the eye is the big deal, neatly strikes it from its socket, before jumping off the golem, before its massive hands close around its head. Now, it seems confused, it flails around wildly, hitting nothing, before simply shrugging and turning back towards its intended goal. Or, somewhat. It is now pointed at a 45 degree angle, and if it keeps moving forward will hit the wall to the right side of the gate rather than the gate itself.

    The old man screams, "The gem! Find the gem! And the scroll! You can't attack it with magic or weapons, you need to burn the scroll!"
    Last edited by Conor77; 2013-03-21 at 01:44 AM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    "Is it blind...?" August murmured. "Might be blind...an' it probably can't feel much bein' made o' stone... he reasoned. "Push it back! Keep it away from the wall!" August yelled, darting around the creature and heaving against it, hoping the press of soldiers would follow his lead to check its advance. He didn't know what scroll the old man was yelling about, and figured to leave the gem to the man who dislodged it in the first place.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Move around to the front of the thing.
    Standard Action: Bull Rush! (1d20-1)[11], but hopefully some of the soldiers will help or something. If we could halt the thing that'd be great, but even if we can just turn it away from the wall, that'd work too.
    "A role playing game is three things: it is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking."

    "If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire."

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Wok: Science Ascended

    Kurt narrowly misses being landed on by a falling body. He looks up, trying to see where the body came from. Then the shouts come, it's blind, it's disorientated, go for the scroll*.

    Scroll?

    Assuming that the scroll would be on or in the stone monstrosity, Kurt uses his natural strength to try and get a grip on the creature and find purchase to get up to the main body.

    Action
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb check: (1d20+2)[16]
    Search Check: (1d20+1)[16]


    OoC silliness:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Go for the scroll, Boo!
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2013-03-21 at 02:56 AM.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •