Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC III

Ajadea, Antal
    Spoiler
    Show

Charming. A child who couldn't communicate without terrifying people, and none of them had thought to teach her to write. Incompetence or malice? Hah."Don't be worried. Took me a whiles to learn the written word too." She said, keeping the smile on her face. A lie, but who cared? "Is there anyone we can take you to to start your education?"
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2013-04-14 at 04:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Audric, etc
    Spoiler
    Show
    "[Well....]" Rana's clearly thinking carefully, "[Is there any way for you to get your magic back then? Without going back to the paladins and getting yourself killed, I mean.]"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana and Tayet (maybe)

Spoiler
    Show
    Audric shakes his head " [I... I do not know. It is... it may be a matter of regaining the favour of Aldaran, of proving that I am still doing His will. But... ]" he doesn't finish the sentence, but his meaning is clear enough. ... but I'm travelling with you

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's hoping that Rana won't take it the wrong way... Also, disclaimer :that's what Audric THINKS will work. I make no claim that it is the truth

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #64

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    "[But you're traveling with us.]" Rana finishes, flatly. "[So I guess the question becomes what do you care about more, stopping the witch with us or killing us so you can get back into your Order?]"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, I never said Rana was good at this comforting stuff! If you need a kick in the pants, she can probably assist, however
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    He looks at her with an hurt expression. " [You cannot think me capable of killing any of you ] " he replies, slowly, disbelieving " [I.... I do not know what I will do, but I promise you that you will not be in danger from me. ] "

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #66

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    "[Precisely.]" Rana nods. "[The more important thing is stopping the witch, despite this setback, which is what we will do.]"

Rana suddenly hugs Audric briefly, adding "[I never thought you'd pick the other option.]"

Ajadea, has anything major changed in the camp while we've been over here talking? And is there anyone hanging around looking like they're listening?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Rana
    Spoiler
    Show
    The paladin returns the hug, gratefully, briefly closing his eyes and resting his head on her shoulder. "Thank you." he whispers in common. He straightens up shortly after, looking around for their allies. "We should go and see where all the others are. We will have to leave soon"

8. - Top - End - #68

Rana nods. "Agreed. We don't want to lose any more time." She calls Shadow back to her, then gestures for Audric to go first back to the camp, watching him closely as she follows.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadow bounds back towards Rana, leaving behind a disappointed pen of dogs. At first, it seems like Mari is nowhere to be found. The guard has changed - two unfamiliar halflings stand on either side of the entrance into the camp, clad in leather and bearing spears. Neither looks particularly happy to be standing so far from the fire and the buzz of conversation.

Then you see her - she is sitting on a stool at the edge of the crowd, holding a mug of something and conversing with a brown-cloaked halfling. It has not even lowered its hood, and alone of all the group, it has no food or drink, instead standing stiffly by Mari's side.

Llaars is stuck near the middle of the crowd - he sticks out easily simply due to having somewhere around ten times the mass of most everyone else around him. Despite, as far as any of you know, not knowing a word of Halfling, he seems to fit right in. Antal and Jess are standing, or crouching, in Jess's case, near the edge of the wagon circle. Whatever they are doing, it is largely hidden by shadows.

Somehow, despite the cloak, the brown-cloaked halfling seems to notice your presence first, prodding Mari none too gently. When she sees you, she smiles and waves them over to the fire.

Antal and Jess
    Spoiler
    Show

Eri shakes her head. She seems to be trying to compress herself into as small a space as possible. "Some of the cloaked priests, I think. But they're all quiet-like and scary and Granny Bendibrook says we mustn't talk to them." She doesn't appear to see the remotest hint of irony in her words.

10. - Top - End - #70

Rana nods politely to Mari, but seems more interested in what Jess and Antal are up to. She breaks away from Audric to head over in their direction.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric, on the other hand, after a brief nod of acknowledgment towards Rana, keeps walking towards Mari and the cloaked halfling. He has been wondering about the cloaked people from the beginning, and this may be a good moment to find out more. He nods in greetings to both of them when he approaches.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Antal, Jess, Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

Rana walks over towards the little group in the shadows. She can easily see that the little girl with the braid is standing near Antal and Jess, shielded from view by their bodies and the shadows they cast.

Rana catches the last whispers of the girl's words in her mind. "-says we mustn't talk to them." Her 'voice' is no less piercing than before, though she seems to be trying to be heard by as few people as possible.

The cloaked person seems to become even more rigid as Audric draws nearer. Mari ignores it entirely. "Audric, was it? Had a guid gab wi' yer friend thaur?" She grins widely as she says this, then turns away briefly to take another gulp from her mug. "Sit doon an' hae some rabbit. It's guid for ye.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2013-04-29 at 01:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric sits down, taking the proffered rabbit. "Thank you for your hospitality" he says with a smile. It's tense, but it's a smile nonetheless. "But we will have to leave, I am afraid. We have to find a way to get to Evedras Ridge before the sorceress does."

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I'm looking for spot - (1d20+3)[21] and sense motive - (1d20+9)[18] to see if he can figure out something about the cloaked Halfling.

14. - Top - End - #74

RedWizardGuy

Antal Wolfgirl Rana, Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show

"Hey, wolfie." Jess says, turning but not standing up. "Nobody taught this girl to write." She doesn't seem angry at all. "Thinking we could find someone and fix that. Eri, this is Rana, but I call her wolfie because she has a pretty dog and I nickname my friends. Wolfie, this is Eri, who's getting a nickname when I think of one. Say hi."
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2013-04-29 at 05:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Rana, Jess, Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Antal has been silent for a while, alternating between closely studying the girl, and having a far off look in his eyes. Upon the girl's last comment, his eyes, while still far away, narrow. Finally, he says something, though it doesn't seem directed at anyone in particular, That is a horribly irresponsible idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

The roast rabbit is offered on a plate that looks a bit like a halfling-sized serving platter but functions quite well as a human-sized dinner plate. It is practically dripping with juice, which quickly spreads out to saturate the vegetables and the bottom of the bread as well. "Weeell... about that," Mari says, "Ah was thinkin', an' if ye pure need tae gie tae th' Ridge at speed, ah micht be able tae caa in some favors an' gie ye a coople horses. Bit o' delay noo, but shoods be faster in th' end. So, whaddya say?"

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

It's a guy... maybe. You think. It's mostly a tense person though, and on the edge of either sticking a dagger into something or running away screaming. Just for him? to keep standing there stiffly beside Mari must take impressive amounts of willpower.

Antal, Jess, and Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

"Hi," Eri echoes obediently. Her words sound disturbingly like Jess', like a literal echo. "You have a dog? You should speak to Merris. He loves dogs." Antal's words seem to trigger more confusion. "Why? Why is it -irresponsible-?" Again, the word irresponsible seems to have been echoed directly from Antal's own voice - the effect is eerie.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric tries to balance the plate so as not to spill any of its content. Not the easiest of tasks, really. He thinks about what Mari's saying for a moment, then, carefully: "Horses would give us an advantage, yes... but I would have to ask that you be as fast as possible about bringing them. I do not want to impose on your goodwill, but we really do not have much time. If you do not think you will manage to obtain them, I would prefer to leave immediately."

He takes a couple of careful bites from the plate, relishing the simple pleasure of a well cooked, hot meal for a change, and trying his best not to put the cloaked Halfling MORE on edge than what he already is. He sighs and gives up after a couple of minutes. That doesn't look like it's going to work, and he doesn't feel comfortable eating a meal while standing two steps away from someone who's so clearly unnerved.
    "My name is Audric. I do not think we have been introduced" he says, levelly, "If it is me you are worried about, I can assure you that I am no threat to you." As long as he doesn't endanger innocent people, that is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just because I'm paranoid, could I please have a sense motive on Mari? (1d20+9)[26]. And just in case it's needed (i.e. if he replies something), on the cloaked Halfling as well, again. (1d20+9)[13]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Jess, Rana, Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Er- Did I say that out loud? Antal's cheeks flush lightly, despite his quick redirection, Just something I was considering. Why don't you tell me about life here? You mentioned Merris, who's that?
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2013-05-07 at 02:24 AM.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

The cloaked halfling pauses for a moment, then speaks, slowly, in the most monotone Halfling you have ever heard. Mari nods and replies in a more animated manner. The cloaked halfling practically spits out his response, and takes a few steps away, head bowed. "Yoo'll hae yer horses by next nicht," Mari says. "Sorry abit Derin. Him an' his kin' isnae much for strangefolk. Or bigfolk. Or folk in general, truth be tauld."

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Mari's offer is laden with ulterior motives - not surprising, given the cost it would take to obtain enough fast horses to carry the entire party.

Also, you have a strange feeling that whatever they were talking about in Halfling, it had absolutely nothing to do with horses.

Antal, Jess, Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

"Merris is the dog-man. He watches over them, and speaks into their hearts." Eri says. "He is a kind man. He would like to meet a pretty dog. Even if it is like a wolf too."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

He looks sharply at Mari. "I will have to discuss it with the others. But, before that... Horses are not cheap, and we can't repay you in gold." Which should be clear enough simply by looking at them. "Which brings me to think you may require something else from us. I would like to know what you want in exchange, before we make a decision."

He follows Derin with his gaze "And, if I may ask... what would 'his kind' be?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy, if needed (1d20+12)[30] And sense motive, to assess her answer (1d20+9)[16]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Mari holds a hand up almost dismissively. "Ach, dornt fash yerself about 'at. Ye travel wi' two o' mah kin, an' that be enough. Gang off an' dae yer heroin'. Jus' brin' back th' horses when you're dain wi' 'em." She takes another deep swig from her mug. She must have refilled it at some point, because it is full again and for someone so small, she is certainly adept at holding her drink. "As fur Derin? He's a body ay them travelin' priests. You've seen them. In th' cloaks. Ah figure they've got as much right tae be haur as any other, spite o' all them seein' demons in every shade an' shimmer."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I see. Thank you for the offer. I... I am inclined to accept, for the time it will save us. But I will have to discuss it with the others." He looks around, to assess where his allies have gone to, and at the same time, to try and make a quick count of the cloaked figures in the crowd.

Spoiler
    Show
    Travelling priests, eh? I reckon I could attempt a knowledge (religion) roll. You may never know. (1d20+4)[18]

Also, spot (1d20+3)[6]. Let's see how observant the (ex) paladin is.
    Edit: Blind as a bat. Figures. Not completely useless on the knowledge roll though. Hmmm....
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2013-05-10 at 07:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Jess, Antal, etc
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rana crouches down to be closer to Eri's eye level. "I'm sure I'd like Merris, then. What have you three been up to, hiding away over here?"
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Rana, Jess, Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just talking about magic and life here and getting to know one another. Got any good friends? Antal directs the last bit at Eri.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric
    Spoiler
    Show

Your first guess about the cloaked figures is that they are priests of the Traveler. He is protector of all who walk any road, to any destination, and it is in that capacity alone that most paladins have any reason to pray to him. He is also said to lend aid to thieves and tricksters in their wrongdoings, though that is not often discussed at temple.

It is perhaps not entirely coincidental, one might think, that you are having an alarmingly difficult time finding or counting the number of cloaked halflings in the crowd.

You can just barely catch a glimpse of your allies, huddled at the far side of the crowd, away from the fire. You cannot tell why.

Antal, Jess, Rana
    Spoiler
    Show

"Carrie's okay. She does not fear my voice as much as the others do. She speaks to me and lets me speak even though her mother fears, and wishes that she would not. And Missus Hilltopple, she took me in when none else would, when all her people fear me. Even the cloaked priests. But not her. She is kind." Eri looks up, finally daring to meet your eyes for the first time. "I suppose that is friends."
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2013-05-18 at 10:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Audric nods in acknowledgment at Mari, and gets up... slowly and carefully, keeping an eye on Derin to make sure his movements are misinterpreted as threatening. Being a tall human in an Halfling camp has the disadvantage that you are pretty much overwhelming just by being there. "If you would excuse me", he says, politely, making his way towards the edge of the camp, where his allies are.

"Mari has a proposition for us" he starts, then, notices most of them are crouched on the ground "Is something wrong?"

27. - Top - End - #87

Rana looks sad as she replies slowly, "Yes, sometimes that is friends."

Hearing Audric approach, she turns to look at him. "No, nothing wrong."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

28. - Top - End - #88

RedWizardGuy

"Nobody taught Eri here to read or write." Jess says, keeping her eyes on the girl. "If she could communicate by writing, I figure she'd scare people less. That fine with you, Eri?"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

"Eri?" Audric asks, confused, then notices the little girl. Little halflings are so tiny that he almost hadn't seen her. He crouches down as well and smiles at her. "Oh. Hello, Eri. My name's Audric." And he quite agrees with Jess, the girl should learn to read and write. If only because that way, she will use her magic less "Is there anyone that could teach you?"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2013-05-20 at 05:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

Tayet

Tayet slinks away from the corner when Audric mentions being incapable of killing any of them. Too new to these people. No guarantees for himself. He still hadn't learned anything from his tutor. Problematic. Tayet observes the large gathering of halflings, at ease for once. The only Paladin nearby, known or unknown, is having a heart to heart conversation with someone he was supposed to kill. Instead of a sword to heart conversation. The doubt in the Paladin was not at all comforting, despite it keeping Tayet alive. Doubt made you do reckless things.

He sees his group away from the rest, talking to... someone. He approaches, slowly, unsure of who the new face is. When he gets close enough, to see the small child, he stops a few feet behind. A child? Travelling with them? Why? He looks over at Rana, and tilts his head in confusion, pointing with his thumb over to the girl.
    Just finding my roots again.