New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The Wrong Guys IC III

Spoiler: Tayet
    Show
    Rana takes Shadow and begins to turn away, but stops at Tayet's question. "Close? What do you mean? We're not..." She trails off, looking slightly alarmed. "I mean...we just...we were both just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got caught up in this mess of witches and spirits. I guess...he's just nicer than most of the humans I've met, that's all. He's just.....nice," she finishes, rather lamely, not quite looking at Tayet.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Antal, Audric, and the mysterious forest encounter
    Show

Spoiler: Antal
    Show
    You think it's old, lonely, and ultimately well-intentioned. The tree-thing seems to have no interest in harming you.

Two gnarled branches come together above your heads, like hands clasped in a plea. "But one night. One night. Not so hard? Rest now. Leave later. It has been so long since any little mortals come to my grove." The expressionless face twists from side to side, empty eyes staring at each of you in turn.

Spoiler: Rana, Tayet, and the awkward feelings conversation
    Show

Tayet attempts to get up the tree, and proceeds to fall flat on his back, unable to get a foothold on the bark or reach up even to the lowest branch.

Nothing is visible but a pair of birds circling on the horizon, little more than black dots against the slowly darkening sky.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Antal and Audric
    Show
    Yeah, we can stay for a bit., Antal grins a little, lonely, of course it is. In fact, if we survive what we're doing, I've got a friend who'd probably love to meet you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: RanaAndTayetFallingOutATree
    Show
    "Krepshick!" Tayet says, standing up. He looks over to Rana, laughing silently at her hesitation. "Nice? Axe from store room nice. Good head, strong grip. Looks good. That being nice. You? You look at Audric not like me and axe. Wrong place wrong time getting caught in fight, 'oh me oh my we was just fightin' enemies!', yes? Krepshick. Is not like he make sure you safe, watching you at night for predator. Is not like he not kill you, despite split-birth and nature blessing. Oh yeeeesssss, he just niiiiiice. This not sounding like story of legend or mating. Not story you telling kids

"You two close, even if not knowing. But feelings not what asking to know. How you two meet?"
    Just finding my roots again.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Antal, Audric
    Show
    Audric looks relieved that Antal has decided that there's no danger in staying for the night, although, knowing the halfling, it may not be exactly a resounding recommendation. But they need sleep, and being offered protection seems not so bad a thing. Even if it comes from a fey. "Yes, we will stay for tonight" he agrees, evan as he gives a slight perplexed look at Antal's mention of a 'friend'. That couldn't possibly be Paral, could it? "Thank you for your offer, and your kindness."

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    There was a, uh, mist earlier, that didn't seem entirely... benign. Do you know anything about that? Antal asks the question delicately, he honestly doesn't believe this creature means them any harm.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217

Spoiler: Trees'NFeelin's
    Show
    "Oh, we never told you all of it!" Rana looks quite relieved at the shift in topic. "I'd just come to Attalin, and my damn hood slipped right in the middle of the market, so I ended up hiding in the sewers. Apparently it was a day for sewer exploration -- Audric was there investigating something for the temple, Llaars was I think looking for someone who he'd run off from his bar, Antal....I don't know why Antal was there, but he was, and Rowan -- wait, you never met Rowan, did you? She was nice enough, but didn't stick with us terribly long.

"Anyway, we all independently stumbled onto a couple of guards roughing up this scaly elf, and stepped in. Things....kinda went downhill for us from there."
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

The branches creak agitatedly as they open up, and the face retreats backwards, giving you some breathing room. <Thou hast my gratitude. No more mist now.> it rumbles.

The dryad is a very poor liar - it definitely knows about the mist.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Audric gives a perplexed look at Antal's mention of 'mist': he had been asleep at the time. It's clear the fey's answer is evasive at best, but it's better to let Antal decide if he wants to pursue it, he reasons.

For his part, he focuses on the amulet the dryad is still holding. He gets a bit closer, but not as much as to be perceived as a threat. "If I may inquire" he says "Is that symbol of some significance to you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect magic Yeah, I wish. Err.. knowledge (arcana), please? Just in case it's useful? (1d20+2)[12]

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: ThaTreesBeAlive
    Show
    "No, you not tell any. We murder man shortly after meeting," Tayet pulls down his hood, scratching his head, staring at the tree. "No. Not meet Rowan. Know Rowan, however. Tree, ah? Bow made of such tree. But downhill tumbling. What happen?"

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

(OOC note of clarification, Cardea's above post is still directed at Rana & Tayet group.)

Show

The tree seems to be settling down now that you are more comfortable. It withdraws its branches, settling into a position that almost looks like waiting. The branches come together in sets, neatly held together. <"Given by flesh ones, long time ago. Is like... like-ness. For thanks. I keep to remember.">

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

(OOC: I see where the confusion could be coming from....)

Spoiler: Audric, Antal
    Show
    "I see." Audric answers. Surprisingly enough, he does. The dryad has helped some humans - or elves, more likely - in the past and has been gifted an amulet in the shape of what a dryad is fabled to look like, and it keeps it as a memento. I'm going mad he thinks to himself, not for the first time. Fey are supposed to be strange and inhuman. It's worrying that he can understand this one's logic so readily.

There's nothing to be done for it right now, however. Rubbing his shoulder without even noticing, Audric sighs and starts to gather the things that he had scattered around in his hasty attempt to get up to protect Antal. If he's trusting a hundreds-years-old fey to care for their safety, may as well make a comfortable place to sleep for both himself and the halfling.

13. - Top - End - #223

Show
    Rana actually smiles, but returns to looking grim quickly as she continues*, "There's been so much....we met a witch who was siphoning power off of sorcerers, and nearly killed us. Except she turned out to be possessed by an ancient spirit, who I think is trying to bring back more of such spirits. And now we're chasing her in an attempt to stop her. Of course, I have no idea how we could stop her, let alone stop her and her friends if she succeeds. Well, that's not quite true -- Audric was able to cast out the spirit she'd had possessing one of Antal's friends, but" she stops suddenly, looking quite worried. "But I don't think we can count on that happening again. They've been gone so long. Perhaps they got lost? After all, they're not as home in the woods as we are. Perhaps we should go looking for them?"

*Please note that this is what I can remember while throwing together a post at 1am. Any inaccuracies should be entirely attributed to me, not Rana.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Ain'tNoPartyLikeaLostInTheWoodsParty
    Show

"Am remember, old man used to play joke on me when I get lost when learning. He grab sticks, make scare face, spook little me." Tayet says, walking back to Rana and admitting defeat. "Would pretend being bear! And then, you knowing. Turn into bear. But him aside, I send Cape to look, yes? He better with sort of thing."

Spoiler
    Show
    I send Cape off to scout the area. I'd like him to look for two minutes through/over trees, and then come back.

Listen: (1d20+4)[24]
    Spot: (1d20+18)[30]

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Audric and Antal, sitting under a tree...
    Show
    Preparations made, Audric nods respectfully to the dryad and settles down to try and rest for another little while, not before putting an hand on Antal's shoulder and leaning down to whisper to him "We are safe, I think, but... Be careful".

He lies down, leaning his head in the crook of his arm, and tries to get a little more rest, even if he's sleeping with his sword in close reach. He is aware he's entrusting his own and Antal's safety to a fey... but it seems sincere, and he feels too exhausted to find an alternative. For once, he is asleep in less than ten minutes.

16. - Top - End - #226

Show
    Rana starts looking around for a comfortable place to sit while waiting for Cape to return.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

You make yourselves comfortable in the roots of the dryad's tree. Or perhaps simply the roots of the dryad. It is impossible to tell where tree ends and fey begins. You dream of softness and rich earth and nothing at all.

You wake to soft morning light streaming through the roots overhead. It takes a few moments to remember that there are not supposed to be roots overhead. And yet here they are, forming a roof over your sleeping-place. A wide gap on one side forms a sort of door, allowing you to get out, but it is, at least for Audric, somewhat of a tight fit.

Spoiler: Tayet, Rana
    Show

Cape wheels around, scouting in all directions, then returns, calling loudly.

Show

Cape cannot see Audric and Antal. They haven't even turned up this way yet. What Cape can see, however, is an abnormally large tree on the horizon, perhaps two hours south as a hawk flies.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Antal, Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Audric drifts off, Antal turns to the dryad, I bet in your life you've seen and heard some great stories. Would you mind sharing them with me?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

<"Some,"> the dryad creaks. Nestled here against the tree, you can practically feel the thrumming in its wood as it speaks. <"From fleshlings, seek solace. Hmm.">

<"Many seasons past. Little more than sapling then.

Was prince. Third in line. Sister, princess. Fourth, and discontent. Spake to white raven, to thorn-apple, to moon-pool dwelling deep. Each bend ear to dark princess. Each gave boon. From raven, feather, sharper than fire-glass. From thorn-apple, seed, whispering secrets of earth. From moon-spirit, draught of light, slumber eternal.

Prince came to my grove, bark thorn-cut, dripping red. Tells his tale, that I tell thee. Elder queen hast fallen, raven blade cut life from flesh. Moonlight draught in summer wine steals crown princess into darkness, wasting. Second vanish, as mist. Swallowed by earth. Third now flees, begging protection of grove. Had... hmm. I know not word. Is ring of gold, so big.">
    It outlines the shape in tendrils of green wood - about the size of a pie tin. <"Shine bright like stars. Is offered, as fleshling custom, for safety of the grove. I grant. Prince stays. Safe, many, many summers. But is mortal."> Another branch reaches up, pulls down the thin bone rod you saw earlier. Holds it like a precious treasure. <"I keep to remember.">
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2014-02-21 at 07:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Antal, Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uh-huh, so that's, and that's. Oh, a crown, cool! Do you still have that? Antal's quick mind is only a second or two behind what the Dryad says, and even while he translates, he does his best to compare the tale with what history he knows. Then something catches him, Oh, tradition, uh, yeah. I, uh, I don't have a ton of much value, but I've got, uh, he pauses for a moment, before settling on his Kukri, I've got this. I don't use it much, my short sword is a much more useful weapon, but I've always found it to be a beautiful blade, and it means a lot to me, has some great stories in it. Would you like to hear them?

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Y'know, I'm getting the distinct impression that being around Audric is turning Antal good. I mean, he hasn't really had a chance to show it, but I think his actions lately have been more good than neutral.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    One of the dryad's many branches reaches down. It splits into three spindly fingers at the end, two fingers and a long thumb tipped by a pair of leaves. It reaches out tentatively. At the last moment, less than three inches away from your cheek, the fingers curl up into the branch and remain there, almost but not quite touching you. <"Ah.... yes, small fleshling. If thou wilt speak, I listen.">

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Antal, Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    While Audric sleeps, Antal shares tales of adventure in the big city with the dryad.

Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[9]
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: CauseALostInTheWoodsPartyDon'tStop
    Show
    "Cape is not seeing Antal or Audric, but is... seeing large tree? Wrong large tree. Am doubting what I feed him now, but maybe is worth looking to?"
    Last edited by Cardea; 2014-04-02 at 11:38 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Antal isn't the best storyteller, it turns out, but the dryad seems overjoyed simply to be able to talk to someone. Roots continue to build up as he talks, slowly forming a hut of living wood around you.

Audric awakens to find Antal talking to the dryad. Roots and bark form a low root overhead and woven walls around. There is a gap in the roots, allowing one to exit the construction, but it is a tight fit. The dryad's long neck dangles through another hole in the city. Its nigh-featureless face is impossible to read. A hand, emerging from the far wall, holds a small kukri possessively.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Audric wakes up from a dream where he was trying to find his way in the Temple cellars, that for some reason had started to look more and more labyrinthine and uncomfortably like the sewers of Attalin City the more he was walking through them. His first reaction upon waking up is relief that he's not utterly lost like in his dream. Then he remembers exactly what was happening before he had gone to sleep. Oh. Being lost in an uncomfortable dampness full of potential enemies would have probably been better, he muses.

He considers the landscape around himself, trying to decide if he can stand without knocking his head or upset the branches in any way. Probably not. He clears his throat to attract Antal's attention on the fact that it's high time to move. "Thank you for your, ah, protection" he says, to the dryad. "We will be leaving, now."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Antal, Audric
    Spoiler
    Show
    Antal stops mid-sentence, turns to look and Audric, and nods, saying, [COLOR="royal blue"]Yeah, we can't afford to lose time. Thank you for your hospitality, I promise to return with my friend if we don't die on our quest. Well, that's a sobering thought to set out on.[/COLOR]
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

<"NO!"> the dryad bellows. The wooden walls pulse and shudder and creak around you. <"Tis danger. Not safe. Here is safe. Not witch nor demon nor walking dead will cross my grove."> The fey creature is speaking faster and faster, expressionless head twisting on its long snaky neck. <"Thou art my ward. Is oath, is duty. Safety of the grove I give to thee. Thou art safe, for length of thine life. Not alone. Has been so long...."> The wood ripples and a hand reaches out of it, holding what looks like a finger bone. <"And thou shalt be remembered. Always live, in thought and life anew.">

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

NEVER trust the fey. Audric grits his teeth as he remembers the simple precept. They teach it in the first classes, really. Never ever trust the fey. They're so alien nobody can tell for certain what they are thinking. Wise words. Too bad he blatantly disregarded them yesterday evening.

"Antal, get behind me. Run if you have to." he says, as calmly as he can, then he straightens, slowly, hand on the pommel of his sword. "We cannot stay. We have a duty ourself, and an oath we have to fulfil."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Awww....

Diplomacy? (1d20+12)[16]
    If it doesn't work, I'm afraid it's Initiative (1d20+4)[9]

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Antal is surprisingly calm himself, in fact, he looks distinctly unsurprised, more disappointed than anything. In a calm voice, with only the slightest edge of irritation, Antal adresses the Dryad, This is a breach of hospitality, you cannot keep us here against our will, we are not your posessions, merely guests. I shall have to insist you return my gift, and warn you that as you have breached hospitality, you are no longer protected by it in turn. If you insist on keeping us, we will use force. To punctuate his point, Antal draws his short sword, though he keeps it pointed at the ground.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy! (boosted): (1d20+12)[31]
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

<"I shall protect,"> the dryad insists. The spidery hand pulls Antal's kukri closer to lie flat against the wood. The already small gap in the walls, your one gateway to the outside, begins to slowly constrict. <"Is hospitality, is oath. As before, for fleshlings like thee. Why else wouldst thou come, but to seek the safety of the grove?"> It sounds puzzled and distressed, head bobbing from side to side, but is not making any aggressive movements. Yet.