New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: WotW: A Knot of Thorns IC

Brennus Lowell

"We have taken quite enough from this veil already - best we save what's left for another time." Brennus says, voice grim, "After all, we do not yet know what price this magic will demand. If we should come to owe more than our lives in the effort of saving them, what then? It's a small victory to escape a prison and find yourself indebted to worse."

He flipped the knife over in his hand, testing the weight and heft, "Malcom, you have some small skill with the picks. See to the door, if you please. But caution - we do not know when the guards may happen by."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Malcolm

Looking down at the picks he shrugged and made his way as low and slow to the door as he could.

Stealth!
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[24]

Once at the door he tries his best to determine where the guard stand and if they move about. also, he readies the picks and checks the door to see if he has to put his hands through the bars or anything else suspicious before trying the lock.

DM!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can you describe the door for me? Basically Malcolm wants to make sure he's not just blowing our escape attempt. I'll toss up one roll though, in case he simply has the correct conditions for an attempt upon reaching the door.

(1d20+5)[15]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

The door doesn't open because you dropped the picks by accident making a loud thud as it hits the ground. You hear the guard murmur about a noise but no one comes out and the picks seem perfectly intact.

Spoiler
    Show
    Guard perception (1d20+1)[15]
    Last edited by Thattaman; 2013-04-01 at 03:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Gravin

Cringing as the picks clatter against the stone floor, Gravin is sure that his heart stops beating as the mangy collection of prisons waits for the guards to come charging down the hall.

I'll give the clumsy oaf a thrashing for that, once we're clear, he silently promises himself.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Malcolm

Grumbling under his breath, making sure to keep it as quiet as he could while he picked the tools up off the floor, he began to carefully attempt to pick the lock again. He only hoped he could keep his grip on the picks this time.

Open Lock!
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[19]

6. - Top - End - #66

The cell door swings open and you are free from that small part of imprisonment. The hall is long, five other cells are along there, four of them are identical to yours and completely empty. The fifth however, is heavily secured, thick bars and a locked door enclose the sorry individual inside. An ogre is sitting there, bored until he notices you. He smiles strangely at the six people escaping. He stares with disbelief as the door swings open and speaks to you, excitedly but he is surprisingly well spoken for an ogre. "How did you do that?" He asks you in a low, slightly hushed voice, "I've never been able to get out, no matter how hard I pull. I'm Grumblejack, let me out and I can smash some puny little 'uns" He emphasises this by showing off his huge fists.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Mitriva

Mitriva smiles a bit.

We certainly could use a distraction. What do you think, Master Brennus? She says, hoping to attach herself to the power-hungry cavalier as soon as possible. If he were able to take power of any kind, she could ride his coattails back to the good life. Plus, he seemed the most commanding out of the group, the one who'd best make a leader.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

"I like this one, this one can prove useful." Galethil speaks quietly, walking very close to the proclaimed Grumblejack.

I'm back.

9. - Top - End - #69

Brennus Lowell

Brennus follows the others to the ogre's cell, noting the size of the beast. Brushing past the girls, he answers, "He could indeed be useful, if only he were suitably motivated."

To the ogre he says, "We could release you, Grumblejack. We could set you free to revenge yourself against these wretched guards. It would be no trouble to us, to do as my fellows suggest and make of you a distraction."

"I would propose an alternative to wasting your strength, however. Serve me. Agree to do as I say, until at least we have been quit of this place, and I will see you rewarded. I would even see your ills treated, your belly fed. Ally yourself to my goals and I promise, yours will be served as well, whatever they may be."

"But know this as well. If we free you, if we set you loose and you betray us... We are not so weak as these Guards, Grumblejack. If you mean to turn on us, I will not hesitate to cut you down myself. With Asmodeus as my witness, I would burn the heart out of you."

"So then. Will you come with us?"
    Last edited by Griffith!; 2013-04-03 at 02:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Grumblejack looks up as he thinks about what Brennus has just said. He replies with almost as normal a voice as a human would have. "Grumblejack will work with you if he gets out of this prison alive without Grumblejack's blood eveyyhere." He then gestures at the bars, "But first you have to break Grumblejack out of my cell."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let us help him, he can prove just as helpful, isn't that right Grumblejack? Let us hurry though, I do not believe we have much time."

I'm back.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

What say you, Malcolm, can you pick the lock? You've been decent with those picks so far.
    Reomava said with smile.

"So big guy, what crime were you incar, (realizing he probably needs less complicated words) err imprisoned here for Grumblejack. You a murderer or something." Reomava said with interest.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Malcolm

Shaking his head as Brennus lays down such terms to a creature whose fist is as big as Malcolms own head, he even had to stifle a chuckle. Oh to be so arrogant as to think you could demand servitude of someone you just met five seconds ago. Even getting him out of the cell would not indebt someone like this Grumblejack so much as that.

Still, it held possibilities. Malcom did so hate to engage in hand to hand combat, and this Grumblejack could easily take on that burden for him. With his mind made up he produced the picks again and went to work on the door.

His voice a whisper as he worked: "Work with us is good enough for me. Lets get you out of there."

Open Locks!
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[14]

And another, in case I don't pop it the first time.

(1d20+5)[17]

14. - Top - End - #74

The first time you try, the picks don't manage and make a painfully loud screeching noise. Luckily, the guards still seem oblivious to what's going on in the hallway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Guard perception (1d20+1)[12]

Grumblejack replies to you again, "I was living on the roads, taking money off the people with money and killing some little 'uns. But they caught me and gave me this drink and hit me with clubs. I killed four of them before it went black, then I was here and the were locking me up, I killed two more little 'uns as they were locking me. I been here for three weeks, they must be stupid to keep Grumblejack locked up for so long." he says as he leaves his cell, thanks to Malcom picking the lock.
    Last edited by Thattaman; 2013-04-04 at 04:09 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Malcolm

As the lock popped open he shook his head. Stupid picks made too much noise...metal on metal might get them captured eventually. He stowed the picks and looked up at Grumblejack.

"Humanitarian work then. Sounds lovely. Let's talk more once we're not inside the prison anymore."

He grinned up at the Ogre and then looked back to the party. They now at least had something decent to hide behind.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Mitriva

And now to sit back and watch the fireworks...
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

17. - Top - End - #77

Brennus Lowell

Brennus sulked quietly, disturbed by his lack of effect on the hulking brute, Another day, then. he mused, And we will see if he remains unswayed by reason.

"Alright."
    he said finally, "Let's see to these guards. Grumblejack and I can take the front, if there are no objections?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

"Then the back is mine, I'll keep an eye and ear out for any guards. Grumblejack, I expect you are quite good with your fists and know what to do with people in your way." Galethil smiles as at a mental image of Grumblejack ripping a guard in half. "Well, let us not waste any time, even if we get away from the cell, it being empty would reveal our escape."

I'm back.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Mitriva

Mitriva falls into line behind Grumblejack and Brennus.

I will stay close to keep you alive with my spells. And so I may rain Hell's wrath down upon those foolish enough to imprison a scion of Asmodeus in the making!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Malcolm

Looking up at Grumblejack he shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm not as bashing friendly as most, I'll keep at eye on our divine wonder here. Try and make sure no one bothers her while she's raining things on them or whatever."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Gravin

"Let us hope it's a silent storm then. We don't need every guard in the prison coming at us." Whispers Gravin as he takes his place near the rear of the group.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

"Fire can be silent, can we set fire to things along the way?"
    Reomava said with her eyes full of hope.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fire can attract attention faster than most thing, it could be a very good distraction later and could alert the guards if used prematurely." Galethil warned, she is now about as coherent and focused as a human should be.

I'm back.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaakon View Post
    Gravin

"Let us hope it's a silent storm then. We don't need every guard in the prison coming at us." Whispers Gravin as he takes his place near the rear of the group.
    Nothing is more silent than the darkness itself.

25. - Top - End - #85

There are torches with fire on lined up on the walls. The door isn't far and Grumblejack seems restless and wants to go through to kill some guards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are you guys going through the door where you know guards to be?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Gravin

"Open the bloody door," Gravin hisses harshly to the meat-shields up front.

27. - Top - End - #87

Brennus Lowell

Brennus walks to the door, gesturing to his erst-while companions to get in behind him. Looking to Grumblejack, he hisses, "Make ready."

And with that he throws back the door and steps in.

28. - Top - End - #88

Through the door is a smallish room, with stairs leading down, a door to your left and a huge-almost comically large-chimney that could easily fit an ogre inside. Two guards are sitting on benches near the door. They stare at you in shock.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, surprise round.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Malcolm

Hefting his manacles in his hands, he kept near Mitriva, ready to stop anyone from attacking the spellcaster.

Actions!
    Spoiler
    Show

During surprise round, move to stay near Mitriva. Ready and action to attack any guard that gets within range of him if possible.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Mitriva

Mitriva closes her eyes, and when she opens them, they're pitch black again as she begins chanting in Infernal. As she does so, a fog begins to emerge from her mouth, wrapping around her and the others. When she finishes, even Grumblejack is hidden by the obscuring mist.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mitriva casts (surprise, surprise) obscuring mist.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2013-04-12 at 11:28 AM.