New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Would it be insolence if I started a FR webcomic without askin' WotC for permission?

I'm workin' on a comic in Forgotten Realms. It's highly bound to the reality and uses many characters owned by private authors or Black Isle. I'm wonderin' if I'm fair publishin' it, or should I ask for permission (maybe pay for usin' the characters). I'm not goin' to earn money for the comic, but I can't promise I won't add a "donate" tag for my whole website (not only with the comic) just to get money for runnin' a faster server in case my artwork is popular.

I don't know what to do...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would it be insolence if I started a FR webcomic without askin' WotC for permissi

Technically, you can't put ads or 'donate' links anywhere on a page that contains someone else's copyrighted characters.

You could, however, put them on other pages on your website without much of a problem.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Would it be insolence if I started a FR webcomic without askin' WotC for permissi

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Technically, you can't put ads or 'donate' links anywhere on a page that contains someone else's copyrighted characters.
    AFAIK the idea that you can use an idea/setting if you do not make a profit is a myth. If you use WoTC intellectual property at all then you are infringing on their copyright. The Wizard who lives by the Coast is known to be a particularly staunch defender of its IP.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, yes, I know it's against the rules to use intellectual property at all, but the worst they can do is send you a cease and desist order if you don't make any money.

If you make money they can sue for damages, which will kill you.

In all honesty, the best idea is still asking for permission.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Would it be insolence...

Hmmm... So I'd be probably dead.

I'm wonderin' why it is not wrong to write Drizzt fanfictions or to invent new worlds to DnD and publish them online, but it is wrong to draw somethin' like this.

I guess I wouldn't add "donate" tag directly on the comic page, but on the index site rather, and I'm workin' on many miscelaneous projects contemporaneously, so it would't be a message for this comic readers directly, but for all visitors.

I can always ask, and I think I would try to ask some of the authors at least, but I'm afraid that BlackIsle would be goin' to prevent everythin'.

I hope you don't get me wrong, I have no intention to earn millions of dollars. The point is to have the website on a server that is not goin' to get blocked after a week because of the transfer limits.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blåbi View Post
    I'm wonderin' why it is not wrong to write Drizzt fanfictions or to invent new worlds to DnD and publish them online, but it is wrong to draw somethin' like this.
    Well IIRC WotC have stepped on fan projects in the past. I recall a NWN module that was pulled because the Wizard lawyers didn't like it. If its a short story on some obscure website though... well that's hardly worth their time.

At the same time WotC have generally encouraged people to adapt and use the DnD rules (it drives up demand for the core books after all). But they remain pretty protective of the Forgotten Realms and any FR derived material. If you're looking to use established FR characters in any major way then you're dead in legal terms.

With regards Black Isle, I have no idea who holds the copyright to their various games or other IP. I can only assume they were sold off when the company folded
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm wonderin' why it is not wrong to write Drizzt fanfictions
    It is illegal, it's just not usually worth their time to bother to sue the authors.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Fanfiction is technically illegal. Most companies don't mind it, however, as it's good for business. Increase the fandom's morale and number, and you'll sell more merchandise.

I must admit, many of the anime I'm into started with my finding a random fanfic and liking the characters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re:

You can always go with parody.
    You could call them the Misremembered Realms or the Land of forgotten places.
    You could create the shadow elf Driks Duordo...you have choices.

Or just make up your own world. Why does it have to be the forgotten realms? They aren't that great. =D

I'm a mystara fan myself, but often find myself in the minority.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

My story isn't a pure laugh at FR, but it operates with a slight irony. The main character is somethin' like Drizzt opposite, yet she's still a good character. "Misremembered Realms" don't match to this.

I think I will place each webcomic on separate website, and add donate tag only on the main site with no comics, or find a server with no transfer limits and resign of that tag at all. It only partly solves the problem, so I have to hope that WotC won't be ****s and they won't prevent my art from runnin'.

Let's hope so.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

My story isn't a pure laugh at FR, but it operates with a slight irony. The main character is somethin' like Drizzt opposite, yet she's still a good character. "Misremembered Realms" don't match to this.

I think I will place each webcomic on separate website, and add donate tag only on the main site with no comics, or find a server with no transfer limits and resign of that tag at all. It only partly solves the problem, so I have to hope that WotC won't be ****s and they won't prevent my art from runnin'.

Let's hope so.
    I'd make sure you acknowledge that the FR characters and whatnot are not yours and are copyrighted. I'd be careful about asking about it, because if they say no you are stuck, if you merely start a site (and don't profit) they'll merely ask you to cease and desist..... i have seen assorted webcomics set in FR, though they tend to use original characters (Dungeoncrawlic for instance, perhaps e-mail the author of that comic as he used Baldur's gate sprites for a long time.....) [actually that sounds like the thing to do first.

Here's the site i mentioned: http://dungeoncrawlinc.com/

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
    Default Re: Would it be insolence if I started a FR webcomic

I've been running a Greyhawk parody webcomic for two years now, no profit and heavy linkage on WotC's own forums. In addition Erik Mona and other established Dungeon/Dragon/Living Greyhawk authors are among my readership. I have yet to see the spectre of IP infringement. Go for it. Much luck with the FR project! I'll read!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Much depends on the authors. Salvatore has the most to say, I think. I hope he has some sense of humor and if so, there isn't much problem. I know it is possible to be watched by Wizards' ellite if you're successful. Let's hope to manage:)