Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    A group of mercenaries hired by the king of Setia has just crossed the border into the neighboring country of Kep. Knowing the destabilization they are about to introduce to the towns on the border of the two nations is a subversive act of war, they expect to encounter resistance wherever they go.

    Given one directive, this group of adventurers, if you want to call them that, is set to ignite war between two kingdoms. Their orders? Damage what infrastructure you can, get out alive, repeat.


    Standing at the top of a hill, you have enough visibility to the west to see a small town off in the distance, about 3 hours' walk, should the weather stay pleasant.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Spoiler
    Show
    Chekhov's smoking gun all up in this :P Take 10 on Survival and Knowledge: Nature (17 and 16, respectively) to get an idea of what's in our immediate vicinity, Take 10 on Search for 17, for tracks, hunting trails, etc.

    Is the area around us fairly plains-y, or forested, or ...?


    A young, winged humanoid circles lazily to the ground, its keen eyes allowing it to relay much of the information on the nearby surroundings to his small group.

    "We should wait until nightfall, and ambush their hunters. No one will come looking for them while they're out, and they won't be able to defend their homes, or cut off our escape."

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Breetor smiled wide at Kier's suggestion. He closed his eyes for a moment and pictured some of the possible ambushes they could use. His head filled with thoughts of the carnage. In time, a slight frown had crossed his face.

    "I like how you think Kier...but we don't know what is there." He states motioning towards the town with his axe. "We should be like the fox." Breetor says, invoking his totem for what must be the fourth time today.

    "We need to set up some pre-arranged meeting places if things go wrong. We should go into the town and size the place up. See where they are weak, see where they are strong. Count their horses. Count their men. If we kill their horses first then we will always be able to run away from the men in heavy armor. Those are the ones that will give us any trouble. We need to be able to out run and manuever them so they are motionless as a turtle. Then we kill their leaders - crushing the head of the snake. Breetor was running out of animals comparasions so he stopped offering suggestions.

    "Though, part of me wants to run the remains distance to the town, screaming bloody murder at the top of my lungs and charge in and kill the first six people I meet. So really, any plan is fine with me." He refected a bit more and added "maybe seven people...".


    Realizing he had spoken more in the last few days then he had in the last seven years. Breetor suddenly shut up and just started staring at his axe.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2013-03-26 at 08:25 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "I agree," Aeryn added, a slight smile curving up one side of her mouth, "no need to be reckless yet. Our employers were... vague enough that I'm not sure it would be a good idea to just rush in."

    "Besides," she said as her form and features began to distend and shape themselves into a young and delicate looking human, "We can have all sorts of fun without killing everyone."

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "On that we disagree..." Breetor added with a hurmph. He twirled his axe in his hand and grinned ear to ear.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "I think he means 'we can have a lot more fun without killing everyone'" Jason says atop the hill, legs apart as he fidgets with one of his gloves. "But yes, I think we should scout out the town first, see what's happening. Of course, we're supposed to both destroy infrastructure and incite war. I think it may have more of an impact, however, if two or three villages turn into ghost-towns before any evidence is collected as to what is causing it. Are we certain we want to start with a town so near the border? Jason asks, scratching an eyebrow above one of his bloodshot eyes.
    Last edited by RadicalTurnip; 2013-03-28 at 04:22 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "Easier to retreat once we're finished, and easier to intercept scouts who might try to report. Once we've got a fair number of empty villages we can fall back to and rig full of traps, we won't have to work as hard to keep our presences hidden."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Jason Firetree's lips purse slightly as he considers Kier's words. "Your plan for the hunters makes sense," he begins, finally turning his back on the town and toward Kier "If I understand correctly, this town should be completely unprepared, unlike some towns that follow. Taking their hunters should catch them unaware, and then hopefully we can move into town, perhaps at sundown and catch them unaware.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge: Geography (1d20+6)[23] for any towns nearby, possibly to begin planning for the next move.
    Knowledge: Local (1d20+6)[25] for if he recalls anything about this towns defenses, customs, layout, or any other pertinent information.
    Last edited by RadicalTurnip; 2013-03-28 at 04:23 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    After surveying the surrounding area and consulting with your geographer, Jason, you have a slightly better understanding of the situation.

    There is a small wooded area to the northwest, but it is somewhat out of the way of the most direct route towards this town, which is across the plain.

    Small communities like this are quite common, but even most people who live in this nation don't know the names of any more than a day's journey from where they live. You know there is a larger town another 2 days to the west, which has about 140 people.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "If we start out here, the smaller villages will flee to the town - it'll be harder, not to mention a bit more obvious if we lay siege. I say we try to divide them up as much as possible. Let's look at the area as if it's one thing - we need three things to deal with it in a way that's gonna get us paid and start a war." The black avian crouched down, spreading his wings for balance - he invites the rest of you in close.

    "First, we need to take out the defenders, all sneaky-like. Then, we need to sever the connections between communities, plant traps along roads and hunting trails." He makes a crude mockup of approximate locations in the ground, with what he knows and has seen. "Finally, we need to kill everyone else - I'd prefer to set the villages alight and kill those who are fleeing, but the smoke might tip off others... any suggestions?"

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Breetor looks up from his axe twirling in time to add " Humans don't hunt at night - dey got bad eyes. Fire will draw too much attention at least as an opening attack. Traps are good but I have not a talent or desire to use them." Breetor returns his attention back to his axe and switches hands. He yawns mightily as all this talk was making him bored.

    "The town is smaller than I thought at first, so we could probably just march on down there and kill every able-bodied man." he says absently. " we could just march into town and claim to be adventuers and spend a night in their Inn, then tear the place apart from the inside."

    All his words lacked conviction as if he were offering suggestions but cared not for any of them. He decided to give the group a few more minutes to get organised before he went and did something rash. He started pacing around back and forth like a caged animal eager to be set free.

    Breetor took a moment to try and memorize this hill so he could find again later if the party got split up.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2013-03-27 at 09:39 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "Calm there, friend. My eagles will be back with their findings soon enough." Indeed, his eagles were just returning from their far scouting - he'd sent them off to find the nearest hunters. "You can indulge yourself a small bit while we wait for nightfall - no fire, no screams. Hunters may not hunt during the night, but neither do they always return to their mates after a single day in the bush. It will not be unexpected to have many of the men out for more than a single night, and therefore the alarm will be raised far too late for effective action."

    He did not revel in death as did his companion, but as well he held no love for these people.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "Those woods, you think?" Jason asks, pointing toward the trees. "The hunters will likely be in there. We can make it look like there are bandits in the woods for now so that they don't flee to the cities, but instead bring their armies out to deal with the problem." Jason thinks a bit longer, stretching out his gloved fingers: first opening, then closing his fists. Perhaps not those woods, but some larger ones.

    Of course, we need to destroy any farms or blacksmiths along the way as well he thinks to himself. Perhaps we can scavenge enough salt from the area to leave the ground infertile.

    "Well, we may as well head toward the woods at least. We can talk on the way."
    Last edited by RadicalTurnip; 2013-03-28 at 04:24 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "We need some way to group them together. Making things chaotic increases the chances of people slipping through our grasp and outing us, however unlikely." Letting a puff of flame escape from her lips, for dramatic effect, Aeryn studied the faces of her nearest compatriots.

    "Perhaps I could shift into the form of some crier, or other official. Make a scene, an announcement that all who meet us in the center of town will be rewarded with gold for some reason. Then when I have drawn them in, we establish a perimeter and let none pass it alive. We kill them all and make good to the next town where we bring tidings of the horrific atrocities..."

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "There are ... four of us" Breetor said "A perimeter would be tough to hold."

    Breetor shifted into the form of a large wolf and slinked off towards the forest with a low barely audible growl. He took some care to avoid stepping on any twigs or sticks as he went, more out of habit then an attempt to mask his presence.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Move silently : (1d20+10)[28]
    movement reduced to 25 ft per move action

    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2013-03-28 at 12:24 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Jason smiles at his companion's impatience, and follows after the wolf himself. As they are walking, he continues to converse about plans and tactics, emphasizing the need to take out fighters or (heaven forbid) casters of any sort before the town is sacked.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    "Follow the birdies," Kier sighs. He instructs them to head to the nearest person they spotted. Hopefully they wouldn't be as bloodthirsty as his partners.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Once under the cover of a few trees, Breetor stops to wait for his companions. He absently licks one of his paws and listens intently to see if they were any closer to a plan more than one person could agree on.

    Breetor was mildly annoyed they were not going with one of his plans but realized his annoyance was just a side effect of being alone for so many years. He was part of a group now and they needed to stick together or they would all die terrible deaths. None of the plans seemed truely terrible...

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Moving quietly, Jason enters the forest, and looks around. After a few moments, he looks to Breetor "Smell Anything?"

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    After a short time searching in the woods, you spot a man a ways off. He appears to be setting a trap of some kind, most likely for a small animal. He has his back turned to you.

    After a moment, you identify him as a hunter of some description, judging by the shortbow leaning against a tree nearby. You wonder if he would have heard you coming if he weren't so intent on setting his trap.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Kier motions for his companions to hold their place - it would be easier to take this one while he was occupied. He gives the signal to attack with him to his eagles; likely, the hunter was setting a trap because of them. Eagles meant prey. Unfortunately, the prey was him - a black-feathered arrow streaks toward the man, as two birds of prey silently swoop in for the kill.

    Kier is already off to cut off the man's unlikely escape, nimbly dodging through the forest, his wings flared behind him, blending with camouflage and providing balance. He can hear his companions coming along behind him, as well.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Rolls:

    Hide and MS if necessary before attack: (1d20+13)[30], (1d20+11)[20]

    Attack roll: (1d20+8)[18], Damage: (1d8+3)[4], Sneak Attack: (1d6)[1]

    Critcoft if necessary: (1d20+8)[12], damage: (1d8+3)[11]


    Kialy and Killy, attacking from flanks: (1d20+5)[25], (1d20+5)[17]

    Damage: (1d4)[3], (1d4)[3]

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Jason's eyebrows raise and he quickly removes the sap from his belt, holding it up to show that he thinks the man should be taken alive. Sap in hand, he moves in for the fight, but tries to stay behind trees and move as quietly as possible as he does so.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Initiative: (1d20+3)[19]
    Hide: (1d20+8)[18] MS: (1d20+8)[11]
    (If I win initiative, delay for Chrisrawr's attack)
    attack with Sap (Spend 1 Inspiration Point): (1d20+6)[19] In case of Crit (x2 on 20) (1d20+6)[11] (Not sure if Inspiration point still applies, but if not, I'll spend another *if* I get a crit)
    Damage (Spend an inspiration Point if it hits): (1d6+5)[11] (Nonlethal)
    AC:13 HPs:13
    Inspiration Points: 1
    Spells Prepared:
    Spoiler
    Show

    0th:
    Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Touch of Fatigue, Ghost Sound
    1st:
    Unseen Servant, Mage Armor, Color Spray, Silent Image, Enlarge Person

    Last edited by RadicalTurnip; 2013-03-30 at 03:32 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Breetor stops himself from charging the possible enemy immeidately. He wanted to give the group a choice in how they handled the situation. As he turned, Jason and Kier were already moving forward to attack.

    "Well I guess that answers that question" Breetor says to himself.

    It was clear the hunter was setting up traps. Why the rest of the group charged at the hunter without even looking for other traps was beyond him. He decided to hang back and wait and see how it panned out. "Let's see what everyone is capable of...."


    He sat down and licked at his paw and took a good look around.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2013-03-31 at 03:12 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    The man lets out a small yelp before falling to the ground dead. The trap he was working on springs, snapping together.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Jason looks at his sap with a raised eyebrow for a moment, shrugs, and then puts it back away. He then kneels to examine the trap, then search the body.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Take ten on Search Check (+10)=20 to search.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Breetor keeps his eyes sharp in case the trapper wasn't alone. He slow picks his in a circle around the body, careful not to step on any more traps.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Malicious Townstomp [IC]

    Kier, on the other hand, actively triggers any traps he can find - looking to set them off and then stow them for later use.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Kier will take 10, and then do another sweep using (1d20+7)[13] to Search check for traps - ones I can set off simply by prodding, I do, and I stow them nearby if they're recoverable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •