New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What ever became of Lanky?

She literally came out of the kitchen and had been in the kitchen for quite some time if memory serves.

So I really can't buy the indignation over being told to return to a room you had just left. The fact that it also happens to be a female geared insult is honestly just a unlucky coincidence.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    She literally came out of the kitchen and had been in the kitchen for quite some time if memory serves.

So I really can't buy the indignation over being told to return to a room you had just left. The fact that it also happens to be a female geared insult is honestly just a unlucky coincidence.
    My thoughts put more simply. And again, I don't care if he pulled out much stronger language than that, it doesn't justify her stabbing him. Plain and simple. The fact that the injury wasn't that bad in the end is irrelevant, it was assault. She intended to cause serious harm, or else she wouldn't have stabbed him. It's like shooting someone, but saying that it's okay because it just grazed his arm.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

You're going to be hard pressed to find any legally defensible position for stabbing someone just because of something they said, regardless of with what knife or where (frankly, being stabbed in the abdominal area with even a paring knife can be lethal and is supremely painful. He was lucky it wasn't more serious, make no mistake).
    There's simply no reason to stab anyone unless you're reasonably certain that they intend to do similar to you, first.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhatBigTeeth View Post
    The DM sounds like a bad DM, but the whole thing smacks of a lack of any semblance of social graces on either side, which is a common theme in Lanky's posts. The abbreviated version of the way I read that story is that nobody was acting like an adult, including Lanky, who was unable to perform as mundane a task as putting up with a friend of a friend, and who threw that man out for acting smug and playing a game in a way Lanky didn't like.
    When someone tells you to leave their house, you leave their damn house. When you get taken away by the cops from a house, you do not come right back 10 minutes later. When you are taken from a house by the cops again, you do not come back in the middle of the night high as a kite and try to break into their house. The jackass was too dumb to live.

Honestly if someone pulled half that crap on me I'd have dragged them out myself without bothering to call the cops.

As to the girlfriend one. Honestly, I'm probably the last person in the world who should be commenting on the emotions of being in a relationship, but I have been stabbed once. But if you don't like how a guy acts, break up with them. Do not stab them. There is no excuse for how that went down. Could Lanky have been more tactful? Of course, but being tactless does not mean stabbing is ok.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    But the original curse was '1d4 Con/day unless I make my antidote, which I have plenty of ingredients for and can easy get more'. It was PsychoDM that started making it crazy complicated and strange.

If I remember the followup right, it came out that PsychoDm went Psycho because Lanky's character portrait was from an anime he didn't like or something...
    It was that it looked animeish apparently.

From what i remember the psychoDM's ex was really into anime or something and left him for some other guy who was into anime and got really upset about it, so anything that resembled anime set him off.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhatBigTeeth View Post
    The abbreviated version of the way I read that story is that nobody was acting like an adult, including Lanky, who was unable to perform as mundane a task as putting up with a friend of a friend, and who threw that man out for acting smug and playing a game in a way Lanky didn't like.
    Lanky was basically trying to play his character, and the DM was trying to screw him over.

Then, the DM repeatedly disrespected him in Lanky's own home. Lanky had every right to tell him to leave at that point, friend of a friend or no.

Psycho DM also later came back, accused Lanky of stealing, and broke a few laws.

I fail to see how Lanky is remotely at fault in that story.

As for the third, I'm not sure if that one was legit. I specifically recall another account being made later, and trying to discredit that story as being a faker. Not sure one way or the other, and it seemed to have a different tone from the others, so I'm taking both claims with a grain of salt.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ufo View Post
    Generally, once you pull the "Get back in the kitchen!"-card, moral superiority belongs to whoever isn't you.
    Yeah, kind of. That was my first thought. "My, that's unfortunate, bet that comes abck to bite hi-- oh."

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    I remember that story. I was apalled that people had the gall to tell him "you had it coming" after he was stabbed. Over mere words.

And this attitude is still present on the forum I see.
    Well, let's be realistic. The nature of escalation is such that you cannot say "after he was stabbed" as if it is clear-cut. There is a difference between stabbing him accidentally - yes, it is possible - and immediately freaking out over what you've done and how bad a person you are, etc., and trying to kill someone with a knife thrust.

The fact that all we hear is she was halfway through "sorry" which could have been deadpan, or could have been a wideeyed, shocked, knife-dropping oh god what have I done, before she was kicked in the head hard enough to be rendered unconscious, tells us a lot.

There is also the obvious issue that, if your behavior prompts your significant other to come out of another room screaming about tramps, you should probably not respond by telling them to go back into the other room, the adults are having fun.

Was stabbing him called for? No. Was it intentional? We don't know. We do know that she wasn't trying to kill him, or he would be dead. It sounds like the equivalent of when you grab someone youre yelling at, too hard. Not a smart move, but the consequences aren't clearly thought out at the time. A crime of passion, and a minor one.

Did she stab him? Yes.
    Did he have anyone to blame but himself? Not really, no. This sort of thing does not sneak up on you.

Yeah, but what a coincidence it was!

Quote Originally Posted by GigaGuess View Post
    My thoughts put more simply. And again, I don't care if he pulled out much stronger language than that, it doesn't justify her stabbing him. Plain and simple. The fact that the injury wasn't that bad in the end is irrelevant, it was assault. She intended to cause serious harm, or else she wouldn't have stabbed him. It's like shooting someone, but saying that it's okay because it just grazed his arm.
    No, no it really is not.

See, people are wired to escalate when they feel dismissed. As an example, let's pretend you and I are having an in person fight, because you and I are easy to type. No real hard feelings, of course~!

I get mad and yell at you.
    You get mad and yell, louder.
    So, feeling in the right, I stand up and continue yelling!
    Not to be outdone, you stand up, too, but then push me!
    Well, heck! I push yo back, still yelling.
    So you push again, ahrder! you mean business. I stumble!
    So I come back, and swing at your face! You fall down, crack your head and suddenly it's an emergency and oh goodness what have I done?

Most violence that isn't premeditated happens this way. Someone pushes someone else, and forget's they are hodling a soda cup and gouges out an eye with a straw. Or pokes someone lightly with a paring knife in the blubber.

Who knows? She may have recanted, then and there, if someone hadn't round-house kicked her to the head. And let's be fair, in a relationship, most people feel the sanctity of fidelity is at least as important (in the heat of the moment) as a flesh wound.

So why is no one but me freaking out that it was okayto escalate to the point of SEVERE CRANIAL TRAUMA? You know, the kind that after you get back up, you can't see as well for the rest of your life? You come out perhaps deaf, or with mild mental handicap? Why is it okay to escalate from a minor cut to cranial trauma for massive damage, but it's not okay to escalate from being dismissed for an obviously re-occuring issue which has been brought up over and over, to a minor knife wound by accident?

We need context. It is easy to point and say "she was the bad guy". It is harder, but more worthwhile, to step back and go "whoah, this entire thing was dysfunctional, how did it last this long?".

We Shouldn't judge others for being flippant about a knife wound, when we ourselves are flippant about kicking someone in the face hard enough to end their consciousness.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with what Lanky's friend did. Lanky's girlfriend, at that moment, was a threat to everyone in that room and had already potentially seriously injured Lanky with her actions (stomach wounds are nothing to joke about). He did what any rational person who felt their life and the life of those that they cared about was in danger. It's text book self-defense.

We can hem and haw about intent or her mindset after that burst of violence was, but the point is that she committed a crime of violence over basically nothing. She had some serious issues going on if she felt that the proper course of action in an argument with another person was to inflict bodily harm on them.

In fact, a rational person wouldn't have left the kitchen with a knife in hand.

I cannot agree with any mindset that condones or apologizes for the girlfriend's behavior. She was in the larger wrong and she committed a potentially serious crime. She could have killed Lanky and that's what the courts would have probably taken into account. Whether she got prison time or therapy or what have you, we don't know. But I really hope she got put somewhere away from the general populace for both her sake and their sake until she can be rehabilitated into being a stable person.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, sorry, I've been taking a break from posting but this is really getting silly.

Anyone who isn't interested in knifing analysis feel free to skip my post.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Did she stab him? Yes.
    Did he have anyone to blame but himself?
    YES! He could blame her! For stabbing him!

...in a relationship, most people feel the sanctity of fidelity is at least as important (in the heat of the moment) as a flesh wound.

So why is no one but me freaking out that it was okayto escalate to the point of SEVERE CRANIAL TRAUMA? You know, the kind that after you get back up, you can't see as well for the rest of your life? You come out perhaps deaf, or with mild mental handicap? Why is it okay to escalate from a minor cut to cranial trauma for massive damage, but it's not okay to escalate from being dismissed for an obviously re-occuring issue which has been brought up over and over, to a minor knife wound by accident?
    Because, and this is a really fine distinction here, the stabbing was a reaction to an insult and the "roundhouse" punch* was a reaction to a stabbing. Once someone draws first blood, they officially lose the right to complain that someone may have injured them while rescuing their victim.

*Yeah, I remember reading that thread. He was unclear at first, but it was a wide hook thing rather than a kick.

We need context. It is easy to point and say "she was the bad guy".
    Yes. Yes it is. Surprisingly few people seem willing to though.

My guess is that it's hard for people to picture a woman actually hurting a man, to the point that a man's insult becomes equal to or worse than a woman's enraged knife-play. "Sexism Hurts Men Too" sort of thing.

But seriously, when one person is rude and another responds with deadly violence, that is a cut and dry case. If she had dumped him, had cursed him out, had upended the table, maybe even slapped him I would be on her side. But stabbing, no matter how "lightly" or "unintentionally" is an automatic one-way ticket to being the bad guy in the situation.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

So... people are defending someone who stabbed someone else and vilifying the person that successfully neutralized the individual who had just stabbed someone.

People confuse me. If someone had just stabbed my friend, you had better believe that something would be launching toward their head as soon as I could get up.

Ok let me clear something up here for everyone. Knives are dangerous. Knives are incredibly dangerous and incredibly painful. Stabbing someone can very easily be fatal even with a crap knife or from someone with no experience. Lanky is lucky that his wounds were as minor as they were because getting stabbed in the gut can very easily be fatal. The girl in this scenario basically just assaulted him with a deadly weapon. It does not matter how hurt her damn feelings are at that point, she is in the wrong.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2013-03-29 at 10:59 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

From what I remember of reading that story, there were multiple individuals that were in the wrong. Boils down to a stupid incident that shouldn't have ever happened.

I don't think anyone is defending the stabber, or saying what she did was right. There's a big difference between saying "I understand why this happened" and saying "What happened is good".

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

I hope Lanky found a new wonderful girlfriend and the Part 4 is a happy story where they go out to see the sakura gardens (´・ω・`)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razark View Post
    From what I remember of reading that story, there were multiple individuals that were in the wrong. Boils down to a stupid incident that shouldn't have ever happened.

I don't think anyone is defending the stabber, or saying what she did was right. There's a big difference between saying "I understand why this happened" and saying "What happened is good".
    SiuiS reply to GigaGuess pretty much sounds like he/she is defending the stabber over Lanky's friend who knocked her clean out.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

SiuiS reply to GigaGuess pretty much sounds like he/she is defending the stabber over Lanky's friend who knocked her clean out.
    I read that less as a defense than as a question over whether it was an appropriate response to the stabbing.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

I read that less as a defense than as a question over whether it was an appropriate response to the stabbing.
    It wasn't vilifying the guy who knocked her out as much as saying that what she did, while by definition irrational (As crimes of passion tend to be), was absolutely understandable and not worth vilifying her over.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

No, no it really is not.

See, people are wired to escalate when they feel dismissed. As an example, let's pretend you and I are having an in person fight, because you and I are easy to type. No real hard feelings, of course~!

I get mad and yell at you.
    You get mad and yell, louder.
    So, feeling in the right, I stand up and continue yelling!
    Not to be outdone, you stand up, too, but then push me!
    Well, heck! I push yo back, still yelling.
    So you push again, ahrder! you mean business. I stumble!
    So I come back, and swing at your face! You fall down, crack your head and suddenly it's an emergency and oh goodness what have I done?

Most violence that isn't premeditated happens this way. Someone pushes someone else, and forget's they are hodling a soda cup and gouges out an eye with a straw. Or pokes someone lightly with a paring knife in the blubber.

Who knows? She may have recanted, then and there, if someone hadn't round-house kicked her to the head. And let's be fair, in a relationship, most people feel the sanctity of fidelity is at least as important (in the heat of the moment) as a flesh wound.

We need context. It is easy to point and say "she was the bad guy". It is harder, but more worthwhile, to step back and go "whoah, this entire thing was dysfunctional, how did it last this long?".

We Shouldn't judge others for being flippant about a knife wound, when we ourselves are flippant about kicking someone in the face hard enough to end their consciousness.
    Yes, but this wasn't a shoving match that went awry. She stabbed him in the stomach. If she had slapped him or something, fair enough, she was upset and meant to get a point across, still not in a way I agree with, but at least more justified. She STABBED him. As for the friend's reaction, it is just that...reaction. He saw someone react in a way to both protect his wounded friend, and make sure she won't do something else. You said yourself, she was about halfway through "Oh God, sorry," which says to me he reacted pretty damn quickly too. A concession; yes, the roundhouse was likely excessive, however THIS is a case where clouded judgment is justified, NOT "Honey, go back into the kitchen."

But fair enough, perhaps she comes out a little better with some context, but as it stands, she sounds like someone who is possessive, jealous and is extremely insecure.
    Last edited by GigaGuess; 2013-03-29 at 11:51 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

/thread This is stupid.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    It wasn't vilifying the guy who knocked her out as much as saying that what she did, while by definition irrational (As crimes of passion tend to be), was absolutely understandable and not worth vilifying her over.
    Sorry, but no. When I get outraged or angry or just want to destroy something, I go to my basement and start using the punching bag, or whatever. People aren't animals, they should have some control over their emotions. At least enough to not stab someone when they're just playing a game. Doing something violent and stupid is not suddenly understandable because emotions are involved. 'Cause emotions tend to be involved with everything, yet most people can control themselves.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Sorry, but no. When I get outraged or angry or just want to destroy something, I go to my basement and start using the punching bag, or whatever. People aren't animals, they should have some control over their emotions. At least enough to not stab someone when they're just playing a game. Doing something violent and stupid is not suddenly understandable because emotions are involved. 'Cause emotions tend to be involved with everything, yet most people can control themselves.
    This.

You're not going to stab someone unless there's something seriously up with you in the first place.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GigaGuess View Post
    But fair enough, perhaps she comes out a little better with some context, but as it stands, she sounds like someone who is possessive, jealous and is extremely insecure.
    She was definitely jealous, but I doubt extremely possessive or insecure. However, while she was tolerant of her "Boyfriend" having another too-affectionate woman hanging around him, being dismissed while he openly flirted with a third (Described as mostly, not entirely, IC - and he'd already indicated chemistry with her) probably made her rethink just how faithful he actually was to her, and prompted the violent breakup.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

She was definitely jealous, but I doubt extremely possessive or insecure. However, while she was tolerant of her "Boyfriend" having another too-affectionate woman hanging around him, being dismissed while he openly flirted with a third (Described as mostly, not entirely, IC - and he'd already indicated chemistry with her) probably made her rethink just how faithful he actually was to her, and prompted the violent breakup.
    Perhaps I chalk this up to differences in mindset. I don't care about flirting. If my SO flirts, I really don't care. I know he's with me at the end of the day, so that's all that matters. Clearly it wasn't enough for her. And I don not mean that as a shot, but as a statement. But the fact is, if you're secure, he can flirt all he wants, she knows he's going to bed with her that night.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

This discussion isn't productive- These events happened years ago, and our speculation is utterly inconsequential to them. Whether or not anything was justified or psychotic, has likely already been determined by those involved and in a court of law.

For my part, I consider this subject closed, and encourage everyone to do the same.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Did she stab him? Yes.
    Did he have anyone to blame but himself? Not really, no.
    Unconventional suggestion, but he could blame the woman who stabbed him.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    This discussion isn't productive- These events happened years ago, and our speculation is utterly inconsequential to them. Whether or not anything was justified or psychotic, has likely already been determined by those involved and in a court of law.

For my part, I consider this subject closed, and encourage everyone to do the same.
    Hyde is right. Not only is the discussion in this thread pointless, but verging on inappropriate topics territory.

A thread asking if anyone's heard from Lanky is all fine and well, but this debate that's arisen isn't doing anyone any good at all.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

True, never IC flirt with GF around unless you are absolutely sure they are okay with it. Apparently she wasn't. Inviting the Fraud's girl to play was just adding fuel to the fire.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Inviting the Fraud's girl to play was just adding fuel to the fire.
    Sorry, what? Maybe I'm a bit slow tonight, but can't figure this out at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    True, never IC flirt with GF around unless you are absolutely sure they are okay with it. Apparently she wasn't. Inviting the Fraud's girl to play was just adding fuel to the fire.
    And this logically leads to a burst of attempted homicidal behavior in what way? I can see people calling Lanky tactless or thoughtless or a bad significant other or whatever if his girlfriend just chewed him out or slapped him or gut punched him or something like that and no one really disagreeing with that opinion. But she stabbed him. That's really not an appropriate reaction to flirting with other women.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Sorry, what? Maybe I'm a bit slow tonight, but can't figure this out at all.
    Story Two explains, but a guy told Lanky's story, TO LANKY, with him playing the part of Lanky. Fraud (the non-Lanky)'s girlfriend was there, and she found out that he had pretty much lied about his life, since almost every story he told her about his crazy game sessions were stolen from the internet. A joking "heh, the story he told me was actually about you" weird flirt and a discussion over coffee later, and she was in the gaming group with Lanky and broke up with Fake-Lanky. Apperently a few weeks later, story three happened, wherein Newgirl was flirting (mostly) IC with Lanky. And then stab. Which, I'm gonna say, he got stabbed. I could debates how justified it was with myself, I still don't have a clear position on it, but stabbing someone tends to be bad. He is saying that inviting the fraud's ex int the group so quickly, and her flirting so much (the Old Friend who has a easily misconstrued relationship not helping matters) did not help girlfriend deal with her boyfriend being flirted with every thursday by two other women.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2013-03-30 at 12:59 AM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

And this logically leads to a burst of attempted homicidal behavior in what way? I can see people calling Lanky tactless or thoughtless or a bad significant other or whatever if his girlfriend just chewed him out or slapped him or gut punched him or something like that and no one really disagreeing with that opinion. But she stabbed him. That's really not an appropriate reaction to flirting with other women.
    Emphasis mine.

You have actually read the story, right?

After viciously poking him, she began to apologize before that one guy knocked her down. Does that really strike you as being consistent with a homicidal frenzy? Personally, I'd just chalk it up to poor impulse control and let the police take care of the rest.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Emphasis mine.

You have actually read the story, right?

After viciously poking him, she began to apologize before that one guy knocked her down. Does that really strike you as being consistent with a homicidal frenzy? Personally, I'd just chalk it up to poor impulse control and let the police take care of the rest.
    Yes, actually. I think you're underestimating this: if that knife happened to be in the right spot, he would have died. Frenzy? Not necessarily. But that is, by definition, homicidal. She did something that had a very good chance of killing him. There is no sidestepping that.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2013-03-30 at 05:04 AM.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer