New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Hellish hybrids, nature at work, or eldritch abominations (New monsters PEACH)

This is going to be a series of monsters, like the owlbear, that combine two or more animals into an odd beast

heres the first one:

Electric Hippopotamoose

{TABLE]Size/Type:|Large Magical Beast (aquatic)
    Hit Dice:|5d10+10 (35 hp)
    Initiative:|+2
    Speed:|30 ft (6 squares), swim 30ft
    Armor Class:|18 (-1 size,+2 dex, ++7 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple:|+5/+13
    Attack:|bite +8 melee (2d6+4 plus 1d6 electricity) or gore +8 melee (2d6+4)
    Full Attack:|bite +8 melee (2d6+4 plus 1d6 electricity) and gore +8 melee (2d6+4)
    Space/Reach:|10ft/5ft
    Special Attacks:|trample 1d8+6
    Special Qualities:|
    Saves:|Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +1
    Abilities:| Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Skills:|Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +12
    Feats:|great fortitude, power attack
    Environment:|cold and temperate forests, plains, and aquatic
    Organization:|solitary or pair
    Challenge Rating:|5
    Advancement:|6-10 HD (large) 11-15 HD (huge)
    Level Adjustment:|--
    [/TABLE]
    The dreaded electric hippopotamoose was a horrid experiment. Combining the Hippopotamus, the moose, and the electric eel. It appears as a slick skinned hippo with a large pair of moose antlers.
    Combat:

Trample (Ex):
    Electric hippopotamooses can trample small or smaller opponents for 1d8+6 points of damage. Opponents who do not make attacks of opportunity against the electric hippopotamoose can make a reflex save (DC 16) for half damage. The DC is strength based

...a 1e favorite
    Squark

{TABLE]Size/Type:|Huge Magical Beast (aquatic)
    Hit Dice:|12d10+24 (84 hp)
    Initiative:|+5
    Speed:| ft (0 squares), swim 80ft
    Armor Class:|19 (-2 size,+5 dex, +6 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple:|+12/+28
    Attack:|tentacle +19 melee (1d6+8) or bite +19 melee (2d6+8)
    Full Attack:|10 tentacles +19 melee (1d6+8) and bite +19 melee (2d6+8)
    Space/Reach:|15ft,10ft
    Special Attacks:|improved grab, constrict 1d6+8
    Special Qualities:|ink cloud,jet,low-light vision, keen scent
    Saves:|Fort +10, Ref +15, Will +5
    Abilities:| Str 26, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
    Skills:|Listen +10, Spot +10, Swim +17
    Feats:|alertness, weapon focus (tentacle, bite), lightning reflexes
    Environment:|temperate,aquatic
    Organization:|solitary
    Challenge Rating:|11
    Advancement:|13-18 hd (huge); 19-36 hd (gargantuan)
    [/TABLE]
    Squarks are a vicious combination of giant squid and huge shark, they are horrifically fast in battle, and are even stronger once they actually hit you. They appear as a large sharks head but behind the head, there is a mass of 10 tentacles. *cough cough sharktapus syfy movie cough cough*

Combat

Improved grab (Ex):
    To use this ability the Squark must hit a medium size or smaller opponent with a tentacle rake attack, if it gets a hold it can constrict.

Constrict (Ex):
    A squark deals automatic tentacle rake damage with a successful grapple check against medium sized or smaller creatures.

Ink Cloud (Ex):
    A squark can emit a cloud of jet black ink 20 feet high by 20 feet wide by 40 feet long once a minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment which the squid normally escape a losing fight. Creatures within the cloud suffer the effects of total darkness.

Jet (Ex):
    A squark can jet backwards once a round as a double move action, at a speed of 320 feet.

Keen Scent (Ex):
    A squark can notice creatures by scent in a 180 foot radium and detect blood in the water at a range of up to a mile

more to come...and yes, expect a duckbunny on easter
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-03-27 at 06:41 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hellish hybrids, nature at work, or eldritch abominations (New monsters PEACH)

Oh my Lord. You've converted the Squark.

I'll be paying very close attention to this thread.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hellish hybrids, nature at work, or eldritch abominations (New monsters PEACH)

Why thank you my good man, and if you do not mind me asking, what would you like next?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd love to see your interpretation of the Duckbunny, if that is okay with you.

Also, if you want any inspiration, I would suggest watching the Kim Possible episode with Cuddlebuddies. I'll see if I can find the name of it...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

well, as stated in the OP I will be adding duckbunny on easter morning, any other ideas though?

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Bear+Something. Maybe something that gives the bear eye lasers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

You might be taking up some of the failed suggestions from my old Fleshweaver thread.

But I'll be watching this with interest.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

well, Im also thinking about just animals/vermin but the bear will definantly be considered :)

and great Idea Eldan :D I shall taketh a looketh

EDIT: and after looking at that thread...expect to see a hairy old lobster soon :)
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-03-27 at 07:34 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's start with a really weird idea; how about a tyrannopony?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

cool ;) I like it thanks for all the ideas guys

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

There's so many you could do. I usually start by combining names in D&D fashion until something really weird results.

E.g:

Scorpistol shrimp, Badgiraffe, weaselephant, bearang outan, tarantiger, orcanteater, squirraptor, hedgehornet.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2013-03-27 at 07:46 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Tyrranopony

{TABLE]Size/Type:|Large Magical Beast
    Hit Dice:|16d10+64 (144 hp)
    Initiative:|+1
    Speed:|40 ft (8 squares)
    Armor Class:|16 (-1 size,+1 dex, ++6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple:|+16/+25
    Attack:|bite +20 melee (2d8+5)
    Full Attack:|2 hooves +15 melee (1d4+2) and bite +20 melee (2d8+5)
    Space/Reach:|10ft/5ft
    Special Attacks:|Improved grab, swallow whole
    Special Qualities:|low-light vision,scent
    Saves:|Fort +16, Ref +11, Will +7
    Abilities:| Str 20, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Skills:|Listen +13, Spot +13
    Feats:|endurance, diehard, alertness, weapon focus (bite), run, great fortitude
    Environment:|temperate,plains
    Organization:|solitary
    Challenge Rating:|6
    Advancement:|17-34 HD (huge) 35-52 HD (gargantuan)
    [/TABLE]
    This creature is horrible...made with a combination of a childish love of dinosaurs, with the imagination of bronymancers, and when those two mix, this horrid abomination is born. The tyrranopony appears as a tyrannosaurus rex with no small forearms, large pony legs replacing said forearms, and a large scaled pony head with sharp teeth.

Combat:

Improved grab (Ex):
    To use this ability, a tyrannopony must hit an opponent of up to one size smaller with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Swallow whole (Ex):
    A tyrannopony can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to two sizes smaller by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes 2d6+8 points of bludgeoning damage and 8 points of acid damage per round from the tyrannopony’s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 12). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Large tyrannopony’s gizzard can hold 1 Medium, 4 Small, 16 Tiny, or 64 Diminutive or smaller opponents.

thoughts?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-03-27 at 09:41 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my. Oooh my.

I am loving this very much. Just two one issues that I can see; it has six feats when it should have five, and are you sure about the challenge rating?

EDIT: Minor brain failure, sorry.
    Last edited by LOTRfan; 2013-03-27 at 10:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

well, tyrannosaurus is CR 8 and this is a little weaker so i figured Cr 6 :)

so hmmm...whats next?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-03-27 at 10:13 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The electric hippopotomoose should have the Amphibious special quality so it can breathe air too. It probably should have low-light vision too. A creature with 2 primary attacks can't normally use them together as a full attack. Bite should probably be a secondary attack and would be -5 to attack even if used as a primary attack. Secondary attacks don't appear on the attack line. Secondary attacks use 1/2 str bonus modifiers.

Attack: Gore +8 melee (2d6+4)
    Full Attack: Gore +8 melee (2d6+4) and bite +3 melee (2d6+2 plus 1d6 electricity)

------------------------------

Your squark has the same issue of attacks as your hippopotamoose. In 3.5. if a creature has more than one type of attack that it can make one is primary and the rest are secondary. Some creatures will have 2 primary attacks but they cannot be used at the same time in a Full Attack. Secondary attacks use 1/2 creature's Str as damage bonus.

Attack: tentacle +19 melee (1d6+8)
    Full Attack: 10 tentacles +19 melee (1d6+8) and bite +15 melee (2d6+4)

Your squark probably shouldn't have a land speed at all. A beached squark probably dies from suffocation.

A shark has swim speed of 60 ft.; a giant squid has a swim speed of 80 ft. so this should have a swim speed of 70 ft. Sharks have a Cold Aquatic environment and squids have a Temperate Aquatic Environment so this should have a Cold and Temperate Aquatic Environment.

-------------------------------

Tyrranopony looks terrific. Can you ride one? I can see if I could figure out the rules for this. It should be spelled tyrranopony it seems. I imagine these are difficult to handle so the -5 penalty to Ride would remain.

A trained tyrranopony can be ridden into battle but the rider takes a -5 penalty to ride as these are not as well suited for riding as a normal pony. Maybe you need the carrying capacity too. It's a large quadruped so it has a x3 modifier on carrying capacity.

Carrying Capacity
    A tyrranopony can carry 399 pounds as a light load, 400-798 as a medium load, and 799-1,200 pounds as a heavy load.

-------------------------------

Here's the Duckbunny Homebrew From Enworld
    Spoiler
    Show

Duckbunny
    Tiny Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 1/2 d10 (2 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 20 ft (4 squares), swim 30 ft
    Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-10
    Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d2-3 plus snap)
    Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d2-3 plus snap)
    Space/Reach: 2 ˝ ft/0 ft
    Special Attacks: Snap
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 5, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 7
    Skills: Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +12
    Feats: Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Any land
    Organization: Solitary or pack (2-10)
    Challenge Rating: 1/6
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: —
    Level Adjustment: +0 (cohort)

This creature might have a more bizarre appearance than the platypus. It has the body and long ears of a white rabbit, with the beak and webbed feet of a waterfowl. Its bill and feet are orange-yellow, and its eyes are big and black.

The duckbunny is the result of magical crossbreeding experiments; in this case, this creature is the result of combining a snowshoe hare and a duck. Since such experiments are dangerous endeavors, enterprising wizards prefer to start with tamer beasts than something like an owlbear. From the combination of mammal and bird, many young wizards learn a valuable lesson in the art of crossbreeding species.

Duckbunnies tend to live like normal rabbits, with a few exceptions. Like rabbits, they live in underground burrows, and eat mostly vegetables. Like ducks, they lay eggs instead of giving birth to live young, are excellent swimmers, and do eat the occasional fish. If a duckbunny is freed into the wild, it will make its home along the banks of a small body of water, such as a lake or pond. A duckbunny can live on the water plants it finds there, but can be as big a nuisance to vegetable gardens as a normal rabbit.

Duckbunnies sometimes become familiars to wizards and make excellent pets, with their big eyes, floppy ears, and soft, downy fur. They cry out with a loud quacking sound when disturbed or surprised, making a duckbunny a rather inexpensive alarm system. Though they won’t attack like a guard dog, a killed duckbunny is easy to replace due to their high breeding rate. A duckbunny familiar grants its master a +2 bonus on Initiative checks.

The duckbunny also has several practical uses. Their eggs are delicious, and they breed like rabbits, which ensures a steady supply. Their downy feathers provide excellent insulation, such that their skins make excellent cloaks, capes, and boots. Duckbunny meat also makes for a good stew and tastes just like rabbit meat.

A duckbunny is 15-19 inches long, and weighs between 2-4 pounds.

COMBAT

Duckbunnies generally take the first opportunity to flee from any hostile encounter. If cornered, a duckbunny will snap its beak at any extremities within reach, from fingers to noses. Many creatures are shocked by an attack from such an inoffensive-looking creature, giving the duckbunny its chance to escape.

Snap (Ex): When a living creature is hit by a duckbunny's bite attack, it must succeed on a DC 14 Will save or be dazed for 1 round. Once a creature witnesses this attack, it can never again be affected by a duckbunny's snap attack. The save DC is Dexterity-based.

Skills: A duckbunny has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Duckbunnies use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Swim checks.

1998 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
    Originally found in Dragon Magazine #243 ("The Dragon's Bestiary," January 1998, Johnathan M. Richards).
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-03-28 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Commented on Squark and Tryrannopony
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

so how excited are you guys for easter mornin? wanting a duckbunneh?

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Happy Easter to you too. Bring on the Duckbunneh! (Is it a Canadian Duckbunneh?)

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

How about... Sea Bear and Grizzly Shark? They got mixed up!
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SHAMOW! HERE IT IS :O

Duckbunny
    Tiny Magical Beast
    Hit Dice: 1/2 d10 (2 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 20 ft (4 squares), swim 30 ft
    Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-10
    Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d2-4)
    Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d2-4)
    Space/Reach: 2 ˝ ft/0 ft
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: low-light vision
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 3, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Skills: Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +12, jump +14
    Feats: Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Any land
    Organization: Solitary or pack (2-10)
    Challenge Rating: 1/6
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: —
    Level Adjustment: +0 (cohort)
    Do i need to explain? Because if i do my brain will implode...

Combat

Duckbunnies have a +12 racial bonus on jump checks
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-04-01 at 07:46 AM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

What is the duckbunny's snap attack?

Debby

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

it haz a bite with its beak :3

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Um, it's listed as a special attack. If it's just a bite, that's a normal attack. Snap would be something else. If it's just a bite, then it doesn't have a special attack.

Debby

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

oh...yea, I was comparing to yours while making this, and I was really tired :p so i must have accidentaly written that...FIXED

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to ressurect this thread with a new and weird hybrid!
    and also, its no longer just animals ;)
    Ethereal doomspreader

{TABLE]Size/Type:|Medium Aberration (Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice:|2d8+2 (10 hp)
    Initiative:|+2
    Speed:|40 ft (8 squares), climb 20ft
    Armor Class:|17 (+2 dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple:|+1/+3
    Attack:|tentacle +3 melee (1d6+2 Ghoul fever)
    Full Attack:|bite -2 melee (1d4+1) and 4 tentacles +3 melee (1d6+2 Ghoul fever)
    Space/Reach:|5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks:|Ghoul fever
    Special Qualities:|Scent, Lowlight vision, Darkvision 60ft, DR 10/magic, Ethereal jaunt
    Saves:|Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +6
    Abilities:| Str 14, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 10
    Skills:|Listen +5, Spot +6
    Feats:|improved initiative
    Environment:|underground or ethereal plane
    Organization:|Solitary, or brood (2-6)
    Challenge Rating:|5
    Advancement:|3-4 HD medium 5-6 HD large
    Level Adjustment:|3-4 HD medium 5-6 HD large
    [/TABLE]
    Before you is a dark blue dinosaur looking creature with a long tail, two legs, and an impossibly wide mouth that appears infinite as you peer into the rows of teeth. Four green tentacles come out of the mouth and appear decayed and gray at their tips, unliving yet still moving.
    The ethereal doomspreader is the ultimate hybrid of grick, ethereal marauder, and a little bit of ghoul. They have been infected with ghoul fever, and yet it doesnt hurt them, and they can still spread it
    Combat:
    Ghoul fever (Su):
    Disease—tentacle, Fortitude DC 12, incubation period 1 day, damage 1d3 Con and 1d3 Dex. The save DC is Charisma-based.

An afflicted humanoid who dies of ghoul fever rises as a ghoul at the next midnight. A humanoid who becomes a ghoul in this way retains none of the abilities it possessed in life. It is not under the control of any other ghouls, but it hungers for the flesh of the living and behaves like a normal ghoul in all respects. A humanoid of 4 Hit Dice or more rises as a ghast, not a ghoul.

Ethereal Jaunt (Su)
    An ethereal doomspreader can shift from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move action. The ability is otherwise identical with the ethereal jaunt spell (caster level 15th).

Skills:
    An ethereal doomspreader has a +8 racial bonus on climb checks and can take 10 or 20 on climb checks even while rushed or threatened
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-05-10 at 10:03 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Totally unbalanced and weird but I think that was intentional. The biggest problem is the creature has 10 lousy hit points. At 5th level, the party is bound to have magic weapons and this is likely to go down fast.

If the tentacles come out of the mouth how can it use them and bite at the same time? It would bite its tentacles before getting to its prey. I recommend that bite be secondary even if used as a primary attack for that reason.

Attack:Tentacle +3 melee (1d6+2 and ghoul fever)
    Full Attack: 4 tentacles +3 melee (1d6+2 and ghoul fever) or bite -2 melee (1d4+1)

Without crunching the numbers, it looks okay otherwise.

Debby