New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Random spells and teleportation

i was wondering if anyone knew any good random spells or teleportation spells.
    i am playing a sorcerer that i am planning to enter the wild mage class for good fun and maybe dip into the wayfarer guide class a little. i love teleportation spells and random spells. my best spell right now is rainbow beam from the spell compendium. if anyone has any good suggestions for random and teleportation spells that would be great. class and feat suggestions are also welcome.

edit: some crunch notes
    class: sorcerer lv4
    race: gray elf
    2 flaws
    feats: magical aptitude, sudden silent (most teleportation spells only use vocal), keeper of forbidden lore, and cloak of the obyrith.

please no comments about being unoptimized i am well aware of that. i refuse to use fully optimized tier 1 and tier 2 characters.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-04-01 at 08:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Random spells and teleportation

Well any prismatic spells really, such as these would work for random.

Teleportation spells, well one that fits the theme pretty well is teleport cage but that probably isn't what you are looking for. I like translocation trick from SpC, fairly funny illusion/teleport spell. Dimension Jumper and Dimensional Shuffle are both pretty good spells to for teleporting battlefield control.

What teleporting spells in particular are you looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

teleport cage is hilarious and i will consider using it when i get high enough level. i am looking for a variety of teleportation spells for all kinds of fun. i'm not to worried about optimization because i have a habit of using whatever i have in unexpected ways. the parties faces can be quite hilarious =3. one thing in particular i'm looking for and might just home brew is a teleportation spell that deals damage.

so far the best fun i had was when i used benign transposition with my familiar to accomplish several things across the town while my friends finished an encounter. this was at lv4
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-04-01 at 06:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Scramble True Position from Tome of Magic is actually both Random and Teleportation.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    i was wondering if anyone knew any good random spells or teleportation spells.
    i am playing a sorcerer that i am planning to enter the wild mage class for good fun and maybe dip into the wayfarer guide class a little. i love teleportation spells and random spells. my best spell right now is rainbow beam from the spell compendium. if anyone has any good suggestions for random and teleportation spells that would be great. class and feat suggestions are also welcome.
    truthfully, almost all of these spells will be better off in wands than as spells known due to them being very situational (except the transpositions, those are worth one of your spells known slots)

don't forget to pick up a pair of boots of big stepping. those boost your CL for spells with the teleportation descriptor by 2, helping with spell penetration, number of targets, and range.

your character sounds fun. what level are you right now?

benign transposition: swap places with allies up to medium range! super useful

baleful transposition: same but with enemies too and allows a save (must be touching a surface in common: rope, floor, etc so no flying and swapping places to do hp damage)

dimension hop: teleport anyone touched 5 ft/2 CL. (enemies get a save) great with spectral hand (which is a nice wand spell)

scattering trap: pick a number of squares, and when enemies step on them, they're thrown in a random direction! randomness and teleportation in one spell.

dimension jumper: teleport 30 ft as a move action for the spells duration (round/lvl)
    dimension shuffle: target a creature/lvl in close range within 30 ft of each other and move them around to any spot in 30 ft (enemies get will save) great fun.

greater dimension jumper: teleport 60ft as swift for round/lvl
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    don't forget to pick up a pair of boots of big stepping. those boost your CL for spells with the teleportation descriptor by 2, helping with spell penetration, number of targets, and range.
    this is why i love you people and should have started posting here sooner. you guys think of everything.

i am currently only lv4 but i am planning for the future, we level up fast because we fight things that we shouldn't be able to take on. currently our only healer is a lv4 ranger and we don't have enough money for a wand of cure light wounds, might be able to buy a partial by now.

scattering trap sounds interesting. these are some good battlefield control spells.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

i might consider prismatic mist because i didn't realize they made such a low level prismatic spell and prismatic bow is oddly fitting since i have been effectively ban from casting more than 5 spells, depending on the spell, on a single arrow.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-04-01 at 07:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

this is why i love you people and should have started posting here sooner. you guys think of everything.

i am currently only lv4 but i am planning for the future, we level up fast because we fight things that we shouldn't be able to take on. currently our only healer is a lv4 ranger and we don't have enough money for a wand of cure light wounds, might be able to buy a partial by now.

scattering trap sounds interesting. these are some good battlefield control spells.
    okay. when you get time, go for wands of lesser vigor, not cure x wounds. here is a more detailed guide on why you don't need a party member dedicated to healing and no matter your WBL, you'll be able to do better than making the ranger prepare goodberry or what have you.

yep, they're fun spells. do you have a build stub mapped out? when are you planning to enter wild mage? why wayfarer guide? that class doesn't really make up for the class level you lose (plus sorcerers don't have geography as a class skill) you'll be able to pretty much replicate the effect with a belt of wide earth (even saves you a spell known on teleport!) from the MiC
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

all good points i will consider.

our party has done without a healer for a long time. sometimes we even do without wands. at the moment even though we are lv4 we only have 400 gp apiece and we are not willing to share, and don't care enough to argue the point. we don't even ask the ranger to prepare specific spells. we have also only spent about 100 gp each. our dm is being quite harsh. i don't care as long as i get a rod of wonder at an appropriate level for fun.

lv1 Sorcerer flaw:Magical aptitude, Flaw:cloak of the obyrith, keeper of forbidden lore
    lv2 "
    lv3 " sudden silent
    lv4 "
    lv5 "
    lv6 wild mage vestigial wings
    lv7 "
    lv8 "
    lv9 " precognitive visions
    lv10 "
    lv11 "
    lv12 "
    lv13 "
    lv14 "
    lv15 "

this is pretty undecided at this stage and i will replace the feats if i find something else that interests me.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-04-01 at 10:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

all good points i will consider.

our party has done without a healer for a long time. sometimes we even do without wands. at the moment even though we are lv4 we only have 400 gp apiece and we are not willing to share, and don't care enough to argue the point. we don't even ask the ranger to prepare specific spells. we have also only spent about 100 gp each. our dm is being quite harsh. i don't care as long as i get a rod of wonder at an appropriate level for fun.
    okay. well, sounds like you've got that figured out then. keep the link handy when you get money.

lv1 Sorcerer flaw:Magical aptitude, Flaw:cloak of the obyrith, keeper of forbidden lore
    lv2 "
    lv3 " sudden silent
    lv4 "
    lv5 "
    lv6 wild mage vestigial wings
    lv7 "
    lv8 "
    lv9 " precognitive visions
    lv10 "
    lv11 "
    lv12 "
    lv13 "
    lv14 "
    lv15 "

this is pretty undecided at this stage and i will replace the feats if i find something else that interests me.
    magical aptitude is a bitter pill to swallow, but I know it's there to qualify for wild mage.

speaking of qualifying for wild mage, I know that's the only reason keeper of the forbidden lore is there. that's a terrible feat. an easier way to get the 4 ranks in planes CC is taking the planar sorcerer sub lvl (planar handbook p 36) at 5 to get planes as a class skill. you even get to deal half force damage with all your energy spells in exchange for giving up a lvl 2 known.

why do you have cloak of the obyrith, vestigial wings, and precognitive visions? they too give very minimal benefit in exchange for costing a whole feat (which is huge) abyssal heritor feats are just awful, like the other bloodline feats (devil-touched, aberrant blood, etc) and there isn't much of a reason to take them.

in my experience, people take them because of a fiendish bent in their character's backstory. is that why you added them?

make sure you take practiced spellcaster as soon as you enter wild mage (at level 6) this will prevent wild magic from ever negatively affecting your caster level (even on a result of 1, you will be casting at your CL) due to the way bonuses are always applied in the most favorable manner.

if you wanted to pay homage to your fiendish ancestry (I'm gathering) you should check out heroes of horror's fiend-blooded. it's not too horrible to qualify for and even has full casting (as far as you're concerned) since I assume you want all 10 levels of wild mage, you'll only have room for 5 in fiend-blooded. it's also a way to gain additional spells known, which for a sorcerer is very difficult and valuable.

why did you choose sudden silent? there are other metamagic feats that don't have prerequisites (since you need an MM feat for wild mage) that are more useful, such as the infamous fell drain, which seems to suit your fiendish theme better. (throw around fell drain sonic snaps, win D&D)

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

sudden silent has no prereq and i took it because most teleportation spells only require verbal components. my sorcerer will know at least one maybe a couple more teleportation spells, especially since the way this campaign is going i will have very limited money for wands. the sudden silent in not negotiable for personal taste. if my dm wants me trapped he is going to have to come up with something good, maybe even give me a magic item to sell in the process.

i might take dimensional jaunt at lv9 and retrain sudden silent into a more useful feat at that point.

planar substitution is out for this game but at the same time the keeper of secrets is not necessary and the other heritor feats are also there for flavor.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

sudden silent has no prereq and i took it because most teleportation spells only require verbal components. my sorcerer will know at least one maybe a couple more teleportation spells, especially since the way this campaign is going i will have very limited money for wands. the sudden silent in not negotiable for personal taste. if my dm wants me trapped he is going to have to come up with something good, maybe even give me a magic item to sell in the process.

i might take dimensional jaunt at lv9 and retrain sudden silent into a more useful feat at that point.

planar substitution is out for this game but at the same time the keeper of secrets is not necessary and the other heritor feats are also there for flavor.
    I know it has no prereq, I was just cautioning against it since it only works once a day (versus regular silent spell, which works as many times a day as you like and also lacks any prereqs) and, y'know, does the same thing.

why? no sub lvls allowed? okay. I was just mentioning that you would likely be better served picking other feats such as metamagic as I've played characters jammed to the gills with heritage feats, and they really just don't do very much. I wanted to caution you before it became an issue.

dimensional jaunt is an excellent choice, and since the boots of big stepping's bonus to CL is untyped, your competence bonus will stack.

Iron Chef Medals!