New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1375
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive

Why do I get the feeling he's going to change his mind midway through the tournament and disenchant himself, like with the cat a few chapters ago but in public.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Why do I get the feeling he's going to change his mind midway through the tournament and disenchant himself, like with the cat a few chapters ago but in public.
    Oh that would be amusing. Maybe caused by Pandora or something similar? I am expecting something big to happen here and that would be something

Of course hair DOES spontaneously change color officially so it would be possible to argue out of that. George might not buy it though
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Oh that would be amusing. Maybe caused by Pandora or something similar? I am expecting something big to happen here and that would be something

Of course hair DOES spontaneously change color officially so it would be possible to argue out of that. George might not buy it though
    Wouldn't need Pandora. We've established already that he can remove enchantments on himself very quickly as soon as he decides he doesn't want them, and that it's not entirely a conscious action. All it takes is for him to decide that he doesn't actually want to keep the pink hair (which could be as simple as thinking "That was a bad idea, I'll zap it off when I get home"), and it'd be gone. He might be able to explain it away as really cheap dye if he didn't also do the length with zapping, but...
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wouldn't need Pandora. We've established already that he can remove enchantments on himself very quickly as soon as he decides he doesn't want them, and that it's not entirely a conscious action. All it takes is for him to decide that he doesn't actually want to keep the pink hair (which could be as simple as thinking "That was a bad idea, I'll zap it off when I get home"), and it'd be gone. He might be able to explain it away as really cheap dye if he didn't also do the length with zapping, but...
    Oh I know. It would probably not involve Pandora, but with the title of the arc and it seems like something is going to go down in this tournament I was thinking Pandora might cause something to happen here

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the new look, but I have the feeling that to really "own it" you'd need to have a really upbeat personality (and / or be pouty when upset) and I dunno if that's really Ted. I could be wrong.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh I know. It would probably not involve Pandora, but with the title of the arc and it seems like something is going to go down in this tournament I was thinking Pandora might cause something to happen here
    My prediction is that Dexter is going to be at the shop during the tournament (possibly playing in it) and that Grace is going to get that sense of Deja vu from seeing his back. Since Grace knows Dexter has a mark on his back (and in fact has even seen it herself) this may go towards Grace figuring it out.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2014-04-18 at 02:01 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    My prediction is that Dexter is going to be at the shop during the tournament (possibly playing in it) and that Grace is going to get that sense of Deja vu from seeing his back. Since Grace knows Dexter has a mark on his back (and in fact has even seen it herself) this may go towards Grace figuring it out.
    The mark is on his front, though. The difference in positioning might also help.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

ah, so thats Tedd's game. he is doing it cause he thinks it'll show his dad a thing or two about hiding magic...
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Barbarian in the Playground

The disenchanting theory is taking a lot of credit here...
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

Tedd is messing with everybody's sexuality. He wrecked Tony just by removing his glasses (well, it was Grace, but with Tedd's face), makes Elliot have erotic dreams about him, and now is making Justin feel attracted to him while looking just like a girl.

Tedd makes heterosexual people gayer and homosexual people straighter, he's like a black hole pulling people to the center of the Kinsey Scale.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think Tedd is turning Justin straight in any way. I think it's more like Tedd's just really cute, and Justin can appreciate that. Now when they've all grown out of "haha, you look like a GIRL" being an effective insult, it's actually not entirely unrealistic that Tedd might become considered very attractive. I mean, if he wasn't always locked up in his basement (and also already hitched (and on a tangent, doesn't the fact that TEDD is the one with the most stable relationship in this comic just speak volumes?)).

I'll admit I'm a bit confused about what George is actually saying here, though.

Oh, and he looks much better with that turquoise shirt than with the dark purple jacket, just saying.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

As I read it:
    1. Tedd kept long hair in order to make people blame his haircut for his feminine look.
    2. Pink hair also makes Tedd more feminine then his regular hue.
    3. George asked, if it isn't the same thing as with the long hair.

It actualy looks way more insightful, then I'd give credit to anyone preocupied with a Pokemon game and seeing Tedd for the first time.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    I don't think Tedd is turning Justin straight in any way. I think it's more like Tedd's just really cute, and Justin can appreciate that.
    But it has already been established that Justin is not attracted to feminine looks. I think the poor man is just in need of a relationship, like he says, and until he is in one, his hormones are going to push him to sexualise everyone he sees. I.e. he is having an adolescent moment - the kind of moment Susan keeps having, in fact.

I believe he is saying that he thinks Tedd might be overcompensating - that Tedd's point would be equally served by the short hair alone, and that dying it pink, if done for the wrong reasons (i.e. not because he likes pink hair, but as a way to call attention to the fact he looks girly) may not be entirely healthy.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar
    As I read it:
    1. Tedd kept long hair in order to make people blame his haircut for his feminine look.
    2. Pink hair also makes Tedd more feminine then his regular hue.
    3. George asked, if it isn't the same thing as with the long hair.

It actualy looks way more insightful, then I'd give credit to anyone preocupied with a Pokemon game and seeing Tedd for the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I believe he is saying that he thinks Tedd might be overcompensating - that Tedd's point would be equally served by the short hair alone, and that dying it pink, if done for the wrong reasons (i.e. not because he likes pink hair, but as a way to call attention to the fact he looks girly) may not be entirely healthy.
    Ah yeah, I see what you mean.

I'm not sure I agree, though. After all, the one who just dyed magicked his hair pink is the person who usually wears it purple. Whether that's natural or not, the change to pink would not be that big in any circumstance. So, I mean, no real overcompensating there.

But it has already been established that Justin is not attracted to feminine looks. I think the poor man is just in need of a relationship, like he says, and until he is in one, his hormones are going to push him to sexualise everyone he sees. I.e. he is having an adolescent moment - the kind of moment Susan keeps having, in fact.
    Fair enough. However, I still say that's not Tedd turning him "more straight" and thus more attracted to his feminine appearance, but a measure of Justin's mounting desire causing him to overlook that appearance.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh...You know, I was joking when I said that Tedd is going to make everybody bisexual...

I'm not seriusly claiming that he will make Justin "straighter" and Elliot "gayer".

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

I honestly don't know why it never struck me that you might not be entirely serious. Herp derp. My apologies.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I have to say it again, because I just can't get over it.

These frames are from the top and bottom of the same page. Note that Tedd's original hair colour is freaking purple. It's not like he went from medium chestnut to shock pink here; in fact, he was always the one with the most non-standard hair colour to begin with. I'm not saying this isn't a change, it clearly is, but it's actually a pretty marginal one purely colour-wise. The length is another matter, I'll give them that.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I have to say it again, because I just can't get over it.

These frames are from the top and bottom of the same page. Note that Tedd's original hair colour is freaking purple. It's not like he went from medium chestnut to shock pink here; in fact, he was always the one with the most non-standard hair colour to begin with. I'm not saying this isn't a change, it clearly is, but it's actually a pretty marginal one purely colour-wise. The length is another matter, I'll give them that.
    Remember that purple is not non-standard in-comic. Also, so far George has not objected to the colour being non-standard. The key issue, as pointed out by George, is the reason behind the colour choice. If he had dyed it, say, green, it would-ve accentuated the fact that he had changed hair styles without any added baggage of girlishness. But he chose pink, we does have a baggage, so George wonders if the colour was chosen because of some other reason (e.g. it brings out the colour of his eyes), or he did it to make people think he is girly - what I've been calling "overcompensating", although George didn't use that word. There is nothing wrong with looking girly, nor is there anything wrong with looking manly, and I believe George's point is that while he would be fine with either, it might be that Tedd isn't. Maybe instead of "overcompensating", "mixed signals" might be a better term for what George is warning.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember that purple is not non-standard in-comic.
    So it's been said, but the vast majority of people still have the typical real-world hair tones. Mr. Verres has clear blue, so that's obviously where Tedd gets it from (presumably his mother Noriko had red hair, because that's how fantasy genes work). Nanase has a very clear red, which can possibly be called non-IRL-standard, and Liz has green, but we don't know if she dyes it or not. Disregarding wholly magical or alien beings, I think that's it? Only one unambiguous non-IRL-standard case. It might be natural, but it's probably not standard. I do think it could be grounds for teasing. And if it is, then switching to pink really wouldn't shift that much.

Also, so far George has not objected to the colour being non-standard. The key issue, as pointed out by George, is the reason behind the colour choice. If he had dyed it, say, green, it would-ve accentuated the fact that he had changed hair styles without any added baggage of girlishness. But he chose pink, we does have a baggage, so George wonders if the colour was chosen because of some other reason (e.g. it brings out the colour of his eyes), or he did it to make people think he is girly - what I've been calling "overcompensating", although George didn't use that word. There is nothing wrong with looking girly, nor is there anything wrong with looking manly, and I believe George's point is that while he would be fine with either, it might be that Tedd isn't. Maybe instead of "overcompensating", "mixed signals" might be a better term for what George is warning.
    True, those colours carry some connotations in the real world. It just baffles me that pink and purple would be so far apart that it becomes shocking when someone who's had purple hair switches to pink. I mean, if bullies were going to bully someone for having a girly hair colour, I'd think purple would be a plenty fine excuse for that.

And that part is what I can't reconcile with with the current reactions. We know that Tedd has been bullied for looking like a girl. We don't know if his hair colour in particular has been one of the excuses for it. It it was, then the shift is insignificant. If it wasn't, then there's some really unimaginative bullies at Moperville North.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2014-04-23 at 04:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

Yo imaginary Sarah, I don't think you should be looking at that part of imaginary Tedd

Also that's the second time in three pages that a character has imagined Tedd in some degree of undress... That's either a coincidence or his change in look is having a certain effect...

So it's been said, but the vast majority of people still have the typical real-world hair tones. Mr. Verres has clear blue, so that's obviously where Tedd gets it from (presumably his mother Noriko had red hair, because that's how fantasy genes work). Nanase has a very clear red, which can possibly be called non-IRL-standard, and Liz has green, but we don't know if she dyes it or not. Disregarding wholly magical or alien beings, I think that's it? Only one unambiguous non-IRL-standard case. It might be natural, but it's probably not standard. I do think it could be grounds for teasing. And if it is, then switching to pink really wouldn't shift that much.
    Well Ashley has green hair, and Susan's, while admittedly dyed, is blue.
    Last edited by Hytheter; 2014-04-24 at 06:26 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    Yo imaginary Sarah, I don't think you should be looking at that part of imaginary Tedd
    I am glad I wasn't the only one who was surprised by that .There has been a surprisingly high amount of Ship Tease between those two recently.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And the set they're playing with continues to be a dead ringer for Innistrad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Barbarian in the Playground

See? I told you she was a Vorthos!
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay do I need to make a list of people that haven't imagined Ted naked?

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

Oh hey, some of you might of remembered awhile ago when I asked if anyone knew if necromancy was explicitly non existent in EGS due to someone on tvtropes saying it was. I found the quote from Dan saying it, "Besides which, undead don't exist in EGS (the closest thing would be animating corpses like puppets, which I don't think counts), so this is pretty much as close as a monster in EGS is going to get to being a genuine vampire". So I guess that tvtropes was right, undead necromancy really doesn't exist in EGS

From this comic: http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1097

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Wait, animating corpses like puppets doesn't count?

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Firbolg in the Playground

Difference between an automaton/robot and a toy that requires constant human control I suppose.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Troll in the Playground

It depends on how you define it I suppose. It seemed to imply that it was more of a telekinetic control rather than animating a previous creature that can move and act freely on its own.

Also it means no liches or similar creatures.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe Dan should take a hiatus and work up a backlog? He seems to be struggling with the tempo, presumably due to the extra colour work, and if he got a burst of practice and also didn't have to stress out the next page the same day, maybe he'd pick it up quicker.

It depends on how you define it I suppose. It seemed to imply that it was more of a telekinetic control rather than animating a previous creature that can move and act freely on its own.

Also it means no liches or similar creatures.
    Yeah, "undead exist" carry a lot of connotations beyond "dead bodies can move". I think the distinction is valid.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2014-04-25 at 11:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe Dan should take a hiatus and work up a backlog? He seems to be struggling with the tempo, presumably due to the extra colour work, and if he got a burst of practice and also didn't have to stress out the next page the same day, maybe he'd pick it up quicker.
    Dan always struggles with his tempo, though, even back in the black-and-white days. Yes, I'm sure that colouring isn't doing him any favours, but Dan has a history of writer blocks.

Still, if OotS and Freefall have taught me anything, it is to be patient. We'll get the page when we get it. As long as the story is worth it, it won't matter in the long run.

GW