New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cool new dragons (3.5, PEACH, no true dragon age catagories sorry :p)

Vine dragon

{TABLE]Size/Type:|Huge Dragon
    Hit Dice:|9d12+63 (117 hp)
    Initiative:|+0
    Speed:|30 ft (6 squares), swim 30ft, climb 30ft
    Armor Class:|18 (-2 size, +10 natural ), touch 8, flat-footed 8
    Base Attack/Grapple:|+9/+25
    Attack:|bite +15 melee (2d6+8)
    Full Attack:|8 vines +10 melee (1d6+4) and bite +15 melee (2d6+8)
    Space/Reach:|15ft,10ft (20ft with vines)
    Special Attacks:|
    Special Qualities:|Vine shape, Plant-like body, DR 2/--, DR 10/silver, vulnerability to fire
    Saves:|Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +8
    Abilities:| Str 26, Dex 10, Con 25, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 7
    Skills:|Appraise +1, Hide +4
    Feats:|Improved initiative, toughness, endure blows, lightning reflexes
    Environment:|Jungles
    Organization:|Solitary or pair
    Challenge Rating:|11
    Advancement:|10-14 Huge 15-20 Gargantuan
    Level Adjustment:|stop asking XD
    [/TABLE]
    Before you is a large creature that looks like a dragon but with two exceptions, it has no wings, and it is made of vines. When it sees you, it looks unhappy and attacks you with 8 vines coming out of its chest

Combat
    Vine shape (Su)
    As a move action, a vine dragon can change its form to appear as a large pile of vines and foliage. This grants it a +20 on hide checks in appropriate areas. While in this form the dragon can use its vine attacks, but can do nothing else. It also can be attacked while in this form. In addition, during this form a vine dragon can use transport via plants at will, but only on vines

Plant like body (Ex)
    Vine dragons have all immunities and traits of the plant type

Sorry this took so long lord erberus :p real life just gets in da way, lucky for me though Im able to ressurect this! yay!

Vulnerable to fire (Ex)
    A vine dragon takes 1.5 times as much damage from fire attacks
    thoughts? questions? suggestions? more dragons?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-05-05 at 06:31 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cool new dragons (3.5, PEACH, no true dragon age catagories sorry :p)

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Sorry this took so long lord erberus :p real life just gets in da way, lucky for me though Im able to ressurect this! yay!

thoughts? questions? suggestions? more dragons?
    maybe instead of a burrow speed, it has the supernatural ability to traverse through trees. Something like meld with stone or earthglide...

I'm imagining a dragon that spends its life hunting within titanic sized forests, never once touching the ground.

perhaps an ability to actually travel vast distances by phasing into vines, then reappearing in another set of vines.

also, vulnerability to fire would be an excellent addition.
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2013-04-29 at 08:14 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome to the World Serpent Inn!
    Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

Extended Signature (90% complete)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

two questions, one, how do you make those boxes i n a post, and two, do you have any objection to others posting their own creations of a draconic nature?
    my AMAZINF avatar by ceika

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

if you go into the stickied threads at the top of the homebrew section that will explain how tables work :)

and go ahead and post your creations, I find other peoples work quite entertaining (and without other people i probably would never have been inspired to start doing it myself :D)
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

here are my first two home-brews (any constructive/encouraging feedback is appreciated)

Alchemical Dragon
    Medium Dragon
    Hit Dice: 5d12+10 (42 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares) Fly 50 ft (good) Burrow 20 ft.
    Armour Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, Flat footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+7
    Attack: Bite +8 melee(1d6+2)
    Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d6+3), and 2 claws +5 melee (1d6+1) 2 wings +5 melee (1d4+1)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Breath Weapon
    Special Qualities: darkvision 120 ft., blindsense 30 ft., scent, acid resistance 5, fire resistance 5, fumes
    Saves: Fort +6 Ref +5 Will +6
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 12
    Skills: Hide +9, Move Silently +9, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Craft (Alchemy) +7, Appraise +7
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Bite), Recover Breath (b), multi-attack
    Environment: temperate hills
    Organization: solitary, pair, clutch (2- 8)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: double standard
    alignment: often neutral evil

the creature before you resembles a dragon, it stands three feet at the shoulder, has mottled blue-grey and forest green scales, it reeks of acid and alchemical reagents

the first alchemical dragon is the result of a sadistic alchemist's experimentation upon a hapless clutch of eggs, in an attempt to grant the properties of different alchemical concoctions. one of the eggs hatched, the one who he infused with alchemists fire and potent acid. his sadism was his downfall, he mistreated the creature, which in turn lead it to it killing him and escaping, and terrorizing Serenity valley for the latter part of a century. the Alchemical Dragon speaks Common, Draconic, and Giant.

combat
    the Alchemical Dragon is a clever combat, often attacking from surprise and using it's breath weapon to the best possible effect. it is know to bargain with obviously superior opponents for safe passage through it's territory.
    Breath Weapon:
    the Alchemical Dragon can breathe out a 30 ft. cone of alchemist's fire and alchemical acid, dealing 2d6 points of alchemical damage (alchemical damage is half fire half acid) every 1d4-1 rounds (minimum 1) Reflex DC 14 half.
    Fumes
    the dragon gives off a potent stench of alchemical reagents, and anything trying to track it by scent gains a +4 bonus

Authors note: yes the background is set for my setting. yes serenity valley is a reference to firefly. and please P.E.A.C.H. nicely (i have gotten grief for saying P.E.A.C.H. nicely before, but i firmly believe that one can be both honest and nice, and therefore it shall remain.)

Virtue Dragon
    large Dragon (Native Outsider)
    Hit Dice: 7d12+28 (73 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares) Fly 80 ft (average)
    Armour Class: 21 (+1 Dex, +10 natural) touch 11, flat-footed 20.
    Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+17
    Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+9)
    Full Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+9), and 2 claws +10 melee (1d8+3), and 2 wings +10 melee (1d6+3), and 1 tail slap +10 melee (1d8+9)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (10 feet with bite)
    Special Attacks: smite evil, Breath Weapon
    Special Qualities: darkvision 120 ft., blindsense 30 ft., scent, divine grace, aura of courage
    Saves: Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +11
    Abilities Str 23, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 16
    Skills: Knowledge (arcana) +12, Knowledge (history) +12, Knowledge (religion) +7, Craft (blacksmithing) +12, Appraise +12, heal +13, spot +13, listen +13
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Bite)(B), Recover Breath (B), multi-attack(B), power attack, cleave, great cleave
    Environment: temperate plains
    Organization: solitary
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: double standard
    alignment: always lawful good

the Creature before you radiates virtue, it's white-golden scales gleam with light, and shimmer as powerful mucles move under them, it spreads it's enormous wings and takes off, creating hurricane force winds, it roars as purging flame spreads from it's gaping maw.

the first Holy dragon is the result of a matrimony between the progeny of an archon and a gold dragon in human form, and another gold dragon, this form of pairing became a tradition among the most virtuous of gold dragons, in an effort to produce true champions of goodness and law Common, Draconic, and archon, and abbysal.

combat
    the Holy dragon is a champion of good, and acts as such in combat, standing to face it's foes. it often associates with lawful good characters, and will keep them close so that they benefit from it's aura of courage.
    aura of courage
    as the paladin ability of the same name, with the exception that it extends out 20 feet
    smite evil
    a Holy dragonn can use smite evil as a 7th level paladin 3 times a day
    breath weapon
    a holy dragon can use a 40 foot cone of purging fire (purging fire is 50% fire damage, 50% Holy damage) as a breath weapon once every 1d4-1 (minimum 1) rounds

Authors note: The language part of my brain is not working right now, please excuse poor wording, I will attempt to correct it in the morning.
    Last edited by Stake A Vamp; 2013-05-05 at 09:32 AM.
    my AMAZINF avatar by ceika

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

For first homebrew, I will say that you applied the rules well and there are no glaring errors that pop out at me, just a few piddling oversights:

Your dragons are missing touch and flat-footed AC.

The attack lines are missing the word "melee" after the to hit number. In the full attack line the word "and" should separate the different attacks with a comma between them as well.

The alchemical dragon has a distinct odor so perhaps you should make that a feature. Could its scent give other creatures a +2 or +4 bonus to track it by its scent? Anytime you can take a description and add a mechanic to it, it adds something a little more interesting for the PCs.

There is nothing wrong with your "holy dragon" as a name; I created holy cows in conjunction with my dairymaid angels so the last thing I'd do is criticize someone unfairly for that. That said, it does have a humorous subtext that you might want to avoid. Virtuous Dragon might work better.

The only issue I have with your Holy Dragon is that it is a tad generic. It looks a lot like a white dragon with level of paladin. You played it safe. It works. It's a solid creature. But to be fair, it's not going to win any popularity contests.

You already have a very good grasp of the rules (and believe me that's half the battle). You just need to get your creative juices flowing and to not be afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes are good actually. You don't learn from doing things right.

When I'm critiquing, I'd rather see something that makes me go, "WOW, why didn't I think of that?" even if the rules are badly misapplied. I can correct badly applied rules, but I can't teach creativity.

I'd bet you have much better ideas roiling around but were just testing the waters. That's playing it too safe. Next time (and I do hope there is a next time), make a bigger splash.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Updated the vine dragon, planning on making a pestilence dragon, although it sounds generic, this will be fun! Also, glad this has been ressurrected :) I just have been really busy, but I just got back from a trip and have some time today :). Also again! Changed thread name slightly
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-05-05 at 06:36 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Back to the alchemical dragon and then the virtue dragon:

Damage in the alchemical dragon's full attack line should be +2 for the bite.

Breath Weapon is a Supernatural Ability and it looks like Fumes should be an Extraordinary ability. Special abilities always have a designator (Ex, Sp or Su).

Fumes - that bonus should be a circumstance bonus. Also, you may want to rethink how the dragon acts in the combat section. It's not really likely to surprise anyone with its fumes.

Virtue Dragon probably has too many bonus feats. It doesn't need Multiattack (one word no hyphen) as a bonus feat since it has so many attacks. Generally speaking, if a creature has 3 bonus feats that don't come from a class or template, it's a good indicator that it has too few hit dice. In this case, I think 7 hit dice are fine. However, you want a CR 5 creature. So for that reason, I think Multiattack is too much.

You still refer to it as a holy dragon instead of a virtue dragon in the text. It could benefit from a bit of editing as well.

Special abilities, feats, etc. should be listed alphabetically. All of its abilities are Su.

Should there be a save to the virtue dragon's breath weapon? It not, you should mention that there is no save.

Also, holy damage isn't in the core books so you need to explain what it does and how it works. It probably does full damage to creatures with an evil descriptor and no damage to creatures with a good descriptor and half damage to creatures that are neither good nor evil. See holy smite. Although you see this type of damage in homebrews, it's not a core damage type. I'm not sure it is even listed in any of the supplements.

For example (don't feel that you have to use this; I'm only giving this an example):

Breath Weapon (Su): A virtue dragon can breathe a 40-foot cone of purging fire (purging fire is 50% fire damage, 50% holy damage) as a breath weapon once every 1d4-1 (minimum 1) rounds. Holy damage does full damage to creatures with an evil descriptor and no damage to creatures with a good descriptor and half damage to creatures that are neither good nor evil. There is no save for this breath weapon otherwise.

Subtypes should be (Extraplanar, Native). Outsider is a Type not a Subtype. It could have Augmented Outsider Subtype, but it has no Outsider features, so it's unnecessary. You don't want to reduce its HD to 8 do you?

Last of all: Organization should include the half-gold dragon archon mate if it has one. That was a nifty touch in its background and I think deserves to be showcased in the stat block.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2013-05-06 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added material
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sudden thought. What about a blood dragon, Now I don't mean a dragon with control over blood, Im a dragon acutely made out of blood (mabey undead (augmented dragon)).

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    — Friedrich Nietzsche

View my newest homebrew (feedback is greatly appreciate):
    The Vile speaker-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-PEACH-welcome

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Sudden thought. What about a blood dragon, Now I don't mean a dragon with control over blood, Im a dragon acutely made out of blood (mabey undead (augmented dragon)).
    well for that I think you could make a modified version of my mercury dragon, just change the poison a bit, maybe juggle some feats. A dragon with control over blood does sound cool though (even though its what you didnt want). If you have something specific in mind other than modifying the mercury dragon, PM me.

P.S. pestilence dragon isnt coming together well, might switch to something else
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-05-09 at 05:24 PM.

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Can i still request a dragon?

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting as a Skill

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

Extended Signature (90% complete)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yes yes please , I keep meaning to bring back this thread but im working on a big project right now on these very boards, dont go looking for it because its unfinished :). Anyways, yes please request :D

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Oh yes yes please , I keep meaning to bring back this thread but im working on a big project right now on these very boards, dont go looking for it because its unfinished :). Anyways, yes please request :D
    Yahlarn: CN; Dragon Goddess of the Sun (Knowledge, Magic, Skalykind)
    Vosk: NE; Dragon God of the Moon (Knowledge, Skalykind, Travel, Water)

Im was developing my world and its gods and this got me thinking about dragon species. i dont want metallic or chromatic dragons to be a part of the world. The five new species should be corrupted and evil (for the most part). The four evil ones are aligned with each other and actively work to cause destruction when they are awake.

The last is the incorporeal sunlight dragon, which is peaceful and neutral. They guard the highest mountain as well as rule high above the clouds.

I was wondering if you mind working on several different species of dragons with me.

Death Dragon
    Pestilence Dragon
    Storm Dragon
    Incorporeal Sunlight Dragon (AKA: the Yahlarn Dragon)
    Venomous Moon Dragon (AKA: the Vosk Dragon)

the last one im working out in combination with my Vosk Cultist class entry, since they are tied together.
    Last edited by LordErebus12; 2013-05-30 at 09:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting as a Skill

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show