New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC)

Flim hustles back a little more and readies his crossbow, conscious there's still the speyeder yet to come.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move back to O17, make sure crossbow is loaded and ready to go - if that's a standard action, all good - if it was already loaded before (I can't remember if that was when I stuffed up action phases) then I'll just hold an action.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

The beetles attempt to escape the flames.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fire damage (1d6)[6]+50%=9 total

Insufficient mass of beetles remain to constitute a threat...the swarm is effectively dispersed.

Spoiler
    Show
    The eyeder hasn't shown itself yet though!!

=> Party (Rev>Thor>Van>Flim>Eyeder)
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-05-11 at 03:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thoradin

Thoradin gives a sigh of relief as the swarm disperses, he then focuses on Rev. Thoradin places his hands on Rev and begins to chant another prayer, asking Moradin to heal his injuries more completely this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another healing attempt! Converting Protection from Evil to Cure Light Wounds.

(1d8+1)[4]

4. - Top - End - #154

Flimglam presses himself up against the side of the sarcophagus and tries to be as small and quiet as possible, carefully holding his loaded crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show
    If possible, Hide roll of (1d20+7)[18]

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

The ocular beastie comes creeping over the lip of the pit and prepares to advance upon you. It emits a horrid tittering sound as it skitters forward on lethal-looking legs.

=> Rev>Thor>Van>Flim>Speyeder

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Revel Jypch

Taking only a few moments to compose himself Revel jumps to his feet. Swaying only a little from the recent bloodloss he sizes up the Eyeder.

'Fellows I would be most appreciative if you would keep this one off me' he says.

As he begins whispering the words of magic he casts a quick glance around himself to ensure his companions are not in retreat.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action: speak
    Move Action: Stand from prone
    Standard Action: start full round action cast Sleep spell so it hits the Eyeder and misses any party members.

Rev will need to use a standard action next round to complete the full round cast at which point the spell will take effect. Will do DC's and target then.

7. - Top - End - #157

Thoradin

Thoradin relived that the swarm has dispersed steps forward to ward of an attack by this new monstrosity, drawing his warhammer he prepares attack the monster as it approaches.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stepping forward to I-14 and reading an attack if the speyeder comes into my threatened area.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Van decides to see how a spider likes being punched in the eye, using a sample size of at least 8.

Spoiler
    Show

Cant see where the map is, but will assume van has sufficient movement to closesince he has ever so much movement.

Flurry of Unarmed blows, see if i get bitten to death before we kill it
    Attack 2 (1d20+4)[19]
    Damage 1 (1d6+3)[9]
    Attack 2 (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage 1 (1d6+3)[4]
    Last edited by laughing_boy; 2013-05-18 at 11:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Flim sighs, looks at his crossbow in disgust and steps forward, firing a bolt of arcane energy from his other hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile! (1d4+1)[4]

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Revell starts casting...Thoradin steps up to keep any danger away from the frail sorcerer.

Vandill advances quickly towards the creature and lands a solid blow against it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry of Blows carries a -2 to hit penalty so I think you are +2 to hit in total (+1 BAB, +3 Str, -2 FoB). Makes no difference to these attacks anyway: First one hits for 9 damage, second misses).

Zap! Flimflam successfully blasts the critter with magical energy.

The "speyeder" focuses it's eye angrily on Vandill and lunges at him with it's sharp legs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Claw 1 (1d20+6)[19], Damage (1d8+1)[6] Hit
    Claw 2 (1d20+6)[11], Damage (1d8+1)[4] Miss

One of it's legs slashes across the Northman's torso. It's mad tittering increases in a frenzy as it draws blood.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

=>Rev>Thor>Van>Flim>Speyeder
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-05-19 at 03:52 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161

Spoiler
    Show
    Posting ahead of turn to keep things going

Flim puts his stupid crossbow on the ground and sprints forward towards the speyeder, trusting his mage armour will hold against the bizarre thing's attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move of 40ft to G17

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Vandill swears in a particularly un-monkish manner as the blood starts to stain his robe, and swings at the spiders other eyes.

Spoiler
    Show

Quite right, it is -2 for flurry.
    If he gets another chance, Vandill will do it again.

Attack 1 (1d20+2)[16]
    Damage 1 (1d6+3)[8]

Attack 2 (1d20+2)[11]
    Damage 2 (1d6+3)[5]

13. - Top - End - #163

Thoradin

Thoradin rushes forward to aid Van, swinging his warhammer down on the creature with all his might.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to E14 and Melee Attack
    (1d20+5)[13]
    (1d8+2)[10]
    Last edited by Mo_the_Hawked; 2013-05-19 at 02:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm making an assumption that Revell chooses to complete his casting of Sleep vs the speyeder:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Speyeder: Save (1d20+4)[24] vs DC 14. That's bad luck :(

It blinks it's eye drowsily but in it's bloodlust it shrugs off the effects of the spell.

=> Rev (remaining action)>Thor(acted)>Van(acted)>Flim(acted)>Speyede r
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-05-19 at 04:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Revell Jypch

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apols, missed the update emails.

Revell completes his invocation, and curses as the beast resists the magic. A giant Speyeder with the will of a zen monk? Preposterous!

'Perhaps we can flick this bug back down the long drop from which it emerged. I'll take care of the lubrication,' he calls out to his companions.

He takes a few steps closer to the creature and begins to martial the magic for yet another spell.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: As posted by Ghost above complete casting Sleep spell
    Move Action: Move to J15 (K15, J15)
    Free Action: Speak

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Thoradin advances but can't get a clear blow in past the creature's deadly limbs.

Vandill is locked in a deadly tit-for-tat struggle with the beast. One of his blows strikes home.

The speyeder continues to flail it's sharp limbs at both Vandill and Thoradin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thoradin misses.
    Vandill's first attack hits, second misses.

Claw 1 vs Vandill (1d20+6)[18], Damage (1d8+1)[7]
    Claw 2 vs Thoradin (1d20+6)[23], Damage (1d8+1)[8]

Blood splashes at both are injured...the monk falls under the onslaught (muttering obscenities...?)!!

=>Rev>Thor>Van>Flim>Speyeder

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-05-19 at 05:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Revell Jypch

Seeing the monk drop Revell is certain this day will form the nadir of his epic poem of the adventure in Whispering Cairn. The obvious symmetry of adding the Speyeder to the downward momentum of fortune's trajectory appeals immensely.

Revell rolls the components between his thumb and forefingers, feeling the oils emulsify under the pressure. He speaks the words of magic and throws his hand toward the Speyeder as he completes the spell. A oily film covers the opening of the hole.

'Let's see how many of those legs you can keep under you now blinky,' he taunts the creature with more confidence than he feels.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Standard Action: Cast Grease 1 round duration, 10 ft sq centered NE corner of D14 (= C15, C16, D15,D16), reflex save DC 14 or fall over. Movement requires balance check.
    Free Action: Speak
    Move Action: None

If permitted Rev will add an action point to the DC of the spell (1d6)[1] for an epic slip'n'slide Gere insertion :D

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

The speyeder tries to keep itself upright on it's many legs...it skitters and stumbles.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex save (1d20+4)[14] vs DC 15 (14+1)
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-05-19 at 06:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

The speyeder slips toward the lip of the hole...it catches itself but remains prone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex save (1d20+4)[13] vs DC 10
    Damage (if it falls) (6d6)[20]

=> Thor>Van>Flim>Speyeder
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-05-19 at 07:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Thoradin

After watching his friend fall to the blows of the creature Thoradin brings his warhammer down with all his might.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gonna use another Action Point.
    (1d20+5)[16]
    (1d8+2)[9]
    (1d6)[2]

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Split! Splack! Splick! Thoradin brings his hammer down on the eyeball spider creature again and again. It is toast.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't worry about using the AP Mo, you hit it without needing to use it.

Phew. For a change, there don't appear to be any hostile creatures trying to eat you!

=> Party

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Revell Jypch

Revell takes a deep breath and permits himself a brief grin. His wounds are a persistent fire on his skin and Vandil is in a bad state, but everyone is alive and that was far from a certain outcome.

Revell quickly retrieves the torch from where it fell, ignoring the floor slicked red with his own blood. He continues forward to Vandil sparing a brief glance down the hole to ensure no more surprises are on their way up. He kneels to check the monks wounds.

Removing the scarf from around his own neck he uses it to apply what first aid he can to staunch the bleeding from the most obvious wounds.

'I hope Moradin still holds you in high favor Thoradin, Vandil has grave need of his blessings,' he says.

Whittaker shows far to much interest in the ragged strips of Vandil's exposed wounds until Revell shoos him away. 'Our friends never smell delicious you little monster,' he remonstrates. 'You will resist whatever crimes your stomach may be advocating.'

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check to apply first aid to Vandil vs DC15 (1d20-1)[14]

23. - Top - End - #173

Thoradin

With a weary smile Thoradin answers Rev "Moradin has smiled upon us this day, for we are still here. Let's see what more blessing he has for us." He places his hands on Van and offers his prayers for healing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well I'll use all three of my level 0 spells for +3 hp.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

'Arrrrrgh. Bloody spider. Stupid vermin. This was a bloody stupid place to come.'

Vandill drags himself upright and stumbles over to the wall to lean against it, before sliding down to the floor again.

'Thanks for the healing Thoradin. That one was far too close.

I'm just going to...sit down for a bit.'

25. - Top - End - #175

'In hindsight, maybe I should have asked my master for a healing potion or two before setting out..'

Flimflam heads over to his discarded crossbow and carefully picks it up. "I'm beginning to think this was a poor investment. The guardsman made it look so easy to use but...I think I might need to investigate other options" he sighs, scowling at the piles of dead insects.

He heads over to check on Vandill. "I think we're going to need to stop for a while so our friend here can regather his strength. I never was any good at patching people up, though at least I can do something about his clothes" he says, and casts Mending on Van's shredded robe."I can take first watch"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Revell Jypch

'Quite so Flimflam, quite so,' Revell mumbles. 'It pains me to halt when such a tantalizing path lies unexplored before us, but I am spent and this cairn appears to be as dangerous as it is mysterious.

Revell feels a wave of hunger wash over him, Whittaker's rather than his having long since ceased relations with his own stomach. He feels around absently in the bottom of his satchel identifying by touch some old nuts, a fine cheese some weeks ago now gone hard and a few pieces of mysterious fruit. Images of panic and recrimination flash across his mind ... a handsome weasel emaciated and struggling to stand, then a weasel jumping on Revell's face and devouring his nose, then a contented weasel happily curled on the lap of a fat old mage just starting in on a feast of roast meats, fish and game.

'They execute familiars guilty of attacking their masters Whit', he sighs 'and Gusto would never take you on ... to scrawny to eat in an emergency, his last was a calf you know.'

An image of the dead wolves upstairs floats into Revell's mind, and never has carrion looked as delicious or desirable in his life.

'If we must,' Revell says, resigning himself to some ad hoc butchery. They head upstairs, Whittaker taking eager lead and return some time later with large rough hunks of wolf meat for roasting on the fire.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rev will take last watch.
    Rev is running out of food, so is eating the wolf meat as rations. Think others might be too, so plenty for all.
    Last edited by NovaZulu; 2013-05-21 at 04:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

You all make camp and rest the afternoon and the night in the ancient cairn without incident, save for squishing the occasional acid-exuding beetle that has been loitering around from the swarm. Some of you hunt for rabbits and forage for edible plants.

4th of Kythorn, 1374 DR

A new day dawns...
    Spoiler
    Show
    You each recover 1 hit point and all of your spells. You consume a days rations.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-08-25 at 04:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Revell Jypch

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Survival check for wolf meat vs Dc 10, (1d20+3)[8]

29. - Top - End - #179

Thoradin

After waking up and offering his daily prayers to Moradin, Thoradin cooks up some of the meat he was able to procure yesterday.

"Well lads it's not the finest food you'll ever had, but it'll fill ya up." Then he places his hands on Rev, "You still look a little worse for wear, let blessings of Moradin have in store for you."

After that he kneels next to Van, "Well lad, lets see what Moradin's grace will cure you today." He then places his hands on Van's wounds and invokes Moradin's name.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just let me know if you partake of the food for recording purposes.

Now for the heals! Casting two Cure Light Wounds (2d8+2)[16]

Oops, forgot about Rev, you'll get 3 back, using all my Cure Minor Wounds for that.
    Last edited by Mo_the_Hawked; 2013-05-22 at 06:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

As you are getting prepared, you cast another look down the collapsed hole. Thoradin & Flimflam, with your vision you can see that the shaft opens into a chamber after about 40ft. Resting in the darkness on the floor another 20ft below this is the mangled remains of the steel elevator.

The climb down looks relatively easy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC10 to climb unassisted, DC5 with a rope, DC0 with a knotted rope.

BTW the oil in the lamps up here has all well and truly spluttered and gone out by now. Your only current light source is Rev's everburning torch.