New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: One Gish, Two Gish, Red Gish, Blue Gish [IC]

The dragon turned its head to look at the students. "Don't believe everything the clerics preach." Meanwhile, Thufir signaled the others to come join up; they needed to get out now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Still using Free actions to talk; the signal Thufir does is vocal and/or physical, whichever I can perform as a Free action so that they all get in range. Also, does the Fang Dragon's Sound Imitation EX ability count as a Special Attack or a Special Quality?
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2014-08-30 at 02:59 PM.
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sound Imitation is a Special Quality.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2014-08-30 at 03:03 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

3. - Top - End - #303

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sound Imitation is a Special Quality.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drat. If it was a Special Attack, I could use it, issuing a fake cry for help from the wall. But as a Special Quality, I can't use it. Sad...

"We're removing our beauty from this decrepit and tainted place! Bring your souls and shells unto me, so that we may facilitate our immediate exfiltration and restore the peace of mind that is freedom!" The dragon roared in Draconic and spoke in an unusually high amount of Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness so as to hide the true meaning: "We're getting out; get over here."
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2014-08-30 at 04:05 PM.
    Show
    Show
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

"Can you move to them? I don't want us separated by a wall."
    He states to Thufir and Ghola. "Take him too if you can! The Cyricist will want to question it!" He points to the body of the fallen Rao-an near his allies.

5. - Top - End - #305

Chimera

Spoiler
    Show
    Ghola manifested Psionic Teleport through Thufir (9 pp):
    Destination: Base Pond (3-4 Miles)
    Targets: Thufir, Students
    Familiarity: Studied Carefully
    Roll: (1d100)[68] On target if 01-94, Off Target ((1d10)[8]*(1d10)[5]%) if 95-97, Similar Area (Closest similar place to "Forest Outskirts") if 98-99, Mishap if 100.

Results edited in after dice rolls confirmed.

EDIT: Success

"...Fine." The fang Dragon reached out with its long neck, grabbing the downed runner in his teeth.
    "Grab hold," Thufir commanded to the students, quickly joining his hands with theirs before releasing a burst of Psionic energy, teleporting them away.
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2014-09-08 at 04:28 PM.
    Show
    Show

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Thufir

One eyeblink later, a calm pond clearing replaces a smoke-laden battlefield. The students' reactions to their first-ever teleportation are mixed. Most shuffle a few feet away looking slightly sick, drop to their knees, and make some abstract art in the grass with the remnants of the candy floss, baked goods, and other treats they ate at the circus. Their apparent leader goes over to examine the unconscious students and do what he can to help them, though Thufir's abundant exposure to battlefield medicine tells him that the boy has absolutely no clue what he's doing.

And now he has the pleasure of babysitting these students until everyone else joins him.

Everyone Else

When Thufir begins concentrating on teleporting away, one of the floating Inquisitors, the Osiran, calls out "There are witches with the dragonling! Send for reinforcements!" and makes a slashing gesture with one hand. Armand's ring alerts him to an invisible pulse of magic-unraveling power emanating from the Inquisitor towards Thufir and allows him to turn it back upon itself. Only he sees the magic seem to turn itself inside-out and disappear before reaching Thufir, but everyone sees the dragon and the students touching it disappear with a soft puff of displaced air.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2014-09-11 at 10:33 AM.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Kaulesh does nothing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Have no idea how close they are...

so

if within 40, move and attack with Greater Insightful Strike + Arcane strike (3rd spell level) + Bracers of lightning

Attack - (1d20+21)[36]
    Concentration - (1d20+25)[41] x2 [82] + Arcane strike - (3d4)[6] + Lightning - (1d6)[5]

OR

greater than 40,

double move and sacrifice a spell (3rd spell level) to Firebird Stance.
    If within 10 ft of anyone (hopefully)

Firebird stance - (3d6)[7] DC 21 for half (fire/arcane damage)

Spoiler: Firebird Stance
    Show

Resistance Fire 10, +3 CL with fire spells. You may sacrifice a spell to gain an aura of fire out to 10ft, it deals 1d/spell level (DC 21 for half) Half is fire, half is arcane energy and it lasts for 1 minute.

Last edited by BelGareth; 2014-09-11 at 09:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

"Can you take the rest of the students? I'll try to cover your ability." He asks Ghola. "If I don't follow right behind with everyone else, we'll probably need you both to come back for us." Grimly Armand puts his hands together, preparing to wage the power of his abjurations against those of the inquisition.

Spoiler
    Show

Readied action: Counterspell.
    I'm guessing they'll use a Dispel Magic to counter his teleport, so my own dispel magics should be a perfect counter. If they use teleport to counterspell his teleport, I'm not using mine to counter theirs. I'll just use a dispel magic as a counter.
    Spellcraft: (1d20+34)[38]
    Dispel check: (1d20+10)[22]

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

The Inquisitor of Ganesha frowns when his compatriot's counterspell has no effect, but he doesn't immediately sound the alarm. "No, brother, capturing them is our first priority," he says in a normal tone of voice, just barely audible at that distance, then he calls out "Surrender yourselves, and your prisoners and your lives shall be spared!"

He knows better than to trust the word of a witch, however, so without bothering to wait and see if anyone surrenders, he extends a hand in a grasping, clawlike gesture and calls out "Ganesh ma, Shakti de!" Kaulesh feels a sudden tightness in his chest, as if his heart is trying to escape through the center of his rib cage, but a bit of concentration and few deep breaths later the spell is thrown off and the disquieting sensation goes away

Spoiler
    Show
    Kaulesh's Fort save: (1d20+12)[27] vs. DC 21
    If he fails, Kaulesh is paralyzed for a round and takes (1d3)[1] damage, otherwise it has no effect.

Spellcraft 19
    Spoiler
    Show
    The spell the Inquisitor cast is the grasp of Ganesha, a close relative to the spells clutch of Orcus (Libris Mortis) and claw of Kali.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2014-09-14 at 11:40 PM.

Show

<Snip>

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Diael
    Diael disappears, moves back 60 feet, and starts some spell casting. "Freeze!"

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Casting Flesh to Ice with Cloak of Deception of turn invisible first.
    DC 24 Fort or become and ice sculpture.
    I'll target the guy who just cast.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-09-15 at 09:18 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

11. - Top - End - #311

Chimera

Spoiler
    Show
    Destination: Base Pond (3-4 Miles)
    Targets: Thufir, Students
    Roll: (1d100)[41] On target if 01-94, Off Target ((1d10)[8]*(1d10)[8]%) if 95-97, Similar Area (Closest similar place to "Pond at Base") if 98-99, Mishap if 100.

EDIT: Success.
    Ghola (Disguised as Juvenile Fang Dragon):

The same light as before appeared, this time from the dragon, encircling the remaining students. In a flash, the dragon and the four students were whisked away by the light, disappearing without a trace.

Thufir:

"Calm down. The rest will arrive soon," Thufir voiced.
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2014-09-17 at 05:00 PM.
    Show
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Ghola and Thufir

Ghola, with some more puking and/or really confused students, joins Thufir and his charges at the pond. Without the adults there to reassure them that the dragon does not in fact intend to eat them, the students quickly scurry out of bite range (as if that would really stop a hungry dragon). One of the new arrivals plops down on the grass, looks at Thufir, and plaintively asks "Can someone please tell us what the Hells is going on with the dragon and the flying priests and everything!?"

Everyone Else

The Ganeshan Inquisitor cries out in pain as ice appears on his chestplate and rapidly coats his skin, but a frantic waving of his arms and bobbing around in the air shakes off the ice fragments before they can encase him and start turning him into ice as well. Ice shards still hang from his clothing and beard, though, and he shivers violently to warm himself.

The Osiran, meanwhile, makes another slashing gesture in the teleporting dragon's direction, this time with two hands as if he thinks the extra emphasis will help. Armand is too quick for him, however, and once again invisible counter-magic is met by invisible counter-counter-magic leaving the dragon and its charges to disappear with a loud POP of rushing air. "They have a countermage of their own! I told you to sound the alarm!" he calls angrily. The Helmite quickly clasps his holy symbol and murmurs something, then nods: alarm successfully raised.

Seeing his comrade's counterspell prove ineffective, the Baldran Inquisitor haughtily points at Armand. "This will take take of the troublesome countermage!" Armand feels his skin begin to writhe uncomfortably, but with some effort he manages to shake off the spell. The Inquisitor snarls at that, obviously not happy to see that his magic is no more effective than the others'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ganeshan Inquisitor's Fort save: (1d20+13)[32]

The Osiran did indeed counterspell with dispel magic, so Armand's counterspell is automatically successful.

Armand must make a Fort save ((1d20+17)[23] vs. DC 22) or be baleful polymorphed.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2014-09-24 at 04:34 PM.

Show

<Snip>

13. - Top - End - #313

Chimera

Ghola & Thufir

"I'm not going to eat you," Ghola said calmly, though with a bit of irritation in his voice clearly present to the students.
    Having been handed it before the metamorphing, Thufir had Ghola's pack. Using their unique telepathy, Ghola instructed Thufir to pull out a small jar from his pack. Thufir then walked over to the nauseated students, giving each a bit of ginger. "Your friends have motion sickness; it will pass more quickly with this." Ghola reached out with his mind, informing Thufir of the plan and that they needed to head back. Thufir responded with a nod before gathering the students together. "I need you all to stay here for a moment. There is a high likelihood that the dragon and I need to return to help those who will likely soon be your comrades. We will return soon, so stay here by the pond. I hope you enjoyed the circus tonight, as one of their newest performers is here. I presume you saw the flying Gnoll's act? A quick look around the pond at the students' startled faces was enough to answer the question. "Believe me when I tell you it was all an act. He is actually quite a kind and caring fellow, though he is a bit strong with his hugs..." With the situation relayed and any misunderstandings hopefully dealt with, Thufir climbed aboard once again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action: Standard. Action: Manifest Psionic Teleport to return to battle. Condition: If Armand does not teleport back within one combat round, Ghola will teleport himself and Thufir back to the battle.
    Show
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Kaulesh watches in amazement as the church enemies appear and begin to duel with his team-mates and himself, his abject failure at not being able to help the students is still clear in his mind, as well as the previous encounter with these inquisitors.

Usually he was calm and collect, but one of his former lives came to the forefront and his rage burned with unbridled lust.

A half orc with a penchant for flame, considerably apt for what he was about to do, almost pushed his own psyche out and stood in the foreground, grinding his teeth he grimaced, whispering "Not today Master Jheran", keeping control of his own body with barely a hairs breadth of failure.

But he knew what his former Master was saying, and he agreed.

Green fire erupted from the Jade Phoenix master and almost hovered in the air as his eyes became orbs of spitting fire. A ball of greenish red flies from his outstretched hands exploding in a cascade of energy around the flying opponents.

Spoiler
    Show

He assumes the Mystic Phoenix Stance as a swift action

Casts Fireball into the middle of the inquisitors to get as many as possible.
    Fireball - (10d6)[39] Ref save for half DC 20
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2014-10-24 at 06:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Ghola and Thufir

"Kind and caring? A gnoll? A flying gnoll?" one of the younger boys yelps. "Yeah right!"
    "Oh, don't be such a wuss," says one of the older girls.
    "But...it's a gnoll!" the boy protests.
    "So what? Are you racist against demihumanoids or something?"
    "What? No! I have some good friends who are shifters!"
    "Then what's the problem?"
    "...You don't see the problem with a flying gnoll that's going to hug us to death!?"

The girl sighs. "Sure, it's a gnoll, and sure it has wings, but we just teleported away from a huge battle on the back of a spiky dragon. I'm sure we're all going to freak out later when the reality of all this sets in," she continues matter-of-factly, "but for now a regular old gnoll shouldn't even register on the scariness yardstick, even if he does have wings."

"She's right," the ringleader agrees, stopping the argument. "We don't really have a choice in the matter anyway; even if this gnoll ate us all as soon as we met it, it's still probably better than what the Inquisitors back there would do to us if they got their hands on us. So cool it for now and wait until we actually meet it. We've trusted them this far--trusted a dragon, for the gods' sakes--so we might as well keep doing that"

Everyone Else

The Baldran and Osiran exchange exasperated looks that they don't bother to try to hide from you; obviously, they're used to facing "witches" that fall to the first volley of incapacitating spells and aren't prepared for ones that can resist capture so easily. "I don't understand...how can these heathens manage to What in Hel--!?" is all the Baldran Inquisitor manages to choke out as Kaulesh's greenish fire explodes around him and his companions. Their neat pentagram formation breaks up slightly as they each jerk a few feet in a different direction to try to escape the flames, but they still end up fairly well scorched with the Helmite even managing to get the hem of his robes lit on fire.

The Hextorite floats forward and motions upwards forcefully upwards with both arms, as if lifting a heavy object off the ground. Massive slabs of dark granite rise from the ground to encircle you and the students, each around ten feet high and a foot thick and sporting an embossed holy symbol of Hextor. "They're not going anywhere," the Hextorite says confidently to the Baldran, "now somebody flame strike them before their teleporters come back to save them!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex saves vs. Kaulesh's fireball:
    Hextorite: (1d20+8)[24]
    Osiran: (1d20+11)[21]
    Helmite: (1d20+7)[16]
    Baldran: (1d20+12)[32]
    Ganeshan: (1d20+8)[23]

The Hextorite cast a wall of stone.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2015-09-10 at 07:51 PM.

Show

<Snip>

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Once Diael had brought them back to the base, Varthok took a detour to his quarters before doubling back to meet the others, but the situation with the students was apparently urgent enough that they'd all teleported away by the time he got there. It was probably for the best that he remained behind, though: for one, if he got directly involved now, the Inquisitors could definitively associate him with Ghola's circus; for another, if they had to split up and scatter into the forest, the rest of their cell would need a skilled woodsgnoll to guide them. After Moriah and Tarnoc hurriedly got him caught up on current events, Varthok gently suggested that they all start getting ready to evacuate while they waited for the results of Jheska's scrying. He let them know he'd be outside, keeping watch from the air as best he could, and then sprinted off towards the entrance as soon as he'd gotten acknowledgement from the pair.

Varthok was almost there when he suddenly heard the faint sound of decidedly unfamiliar voices drifting towards him from the direction of the pond; in a whirl of flashing truesteel, his greatsword was in hand and he was crouching low to the ground and bracing against the nearest wall, straining to make out what was being said. He caught several mentions of the word “gnoll” and his grip tightened around his blade as questions whirled through his mind in rapid succession: 'Inquisitors? Is this a counterattack? Should I sound the alarm? How could they have found us so quickly? How did they get past the wards? What's happened to Aat and Master Kaulesh and the others? Has someone been scrying us? Are we being watched now? Haven't we been careful about staying hidden? What should I do?' It didn't take long to decide. Still crouching, he padded as quickly and quietly as he could towards the entrance, where he risked glancing outside. He almost sighed audibly: he recognized a number of the students he'd scried the previous day. The dragon and its rider, on the other hand, were substantially more worrying – or they would have been, if Varthok didn't recognize the patchwork of outrageously blue-colored pelts and spikes and extra limbs as Ghola's soulmelds. Varthok straightened up and sheathed the greatsword quietly, taking the risk only because they were in the woods and, consequently, in his element.

Trying consciously to present the noble bearing that was his heritage, Varthok strode from the entrance to the pond, standing straight and tall as his wings fluttered slightly behind him with each step. He waved towards Ghola and Thufir as he approached the motley group, then took a closer look at the students themselves. Their faces revealed exhaustion, nervousness, confusion, fear... maybe even shell-shock. It was also abundantly clear from their expressions that they were expecting a "regular old gnoll with wings", not a genuine half-angel. 'It looks like things didn't go according to plan,' he mused. 'Then again, what does?' He flashed as warm a smile as he could manage, trying not to show too many teeth; he was imposing enough just by his size alone. “Hello, everyone,” he greeted them in a calm and gentle tone. “It looks like all of you have had a rough time getting out of the city, to say the least. I'm sure you've got no end of questions for us.” As he spoke, Varthok's gaze fell towards the ground, towards the vomit and the unconscious bodies of the most unfortunate of the lot. He frowned slightly at the wounded before looking back at those who were still on their feet. “But if you want a full explanation, I would ask you all to please be patient and wait for my companions to return. I played only a small part in tonight's events,” he said, bowing his head humbly. "In the meantime, if there's anything any of you might want or need, I will do my best to assist you. Once your stomachs have settled, I can imagine that you'll want food and water, though I'm afraid I can only offer you rations and berries right now. And if you'd prefer to not stay out here in the open, I can have a tent ready for you in a few moments. But first, I must see to the wounded.

He moved towards the nearest unconscious student, who happened to be face-down in the soft grass. He carefully cradled the student in his arms and extended his wings to loosely envelop the both of them, then closed his eyes, focusing inward, on the warm feelings of compassion and beneficence that welled up from within the angelic part of his soul. As the power coalesced within himself, he gently laid his paw on the student's back, directing the energies through his touch.

Spoiler: Actions Taken
    Show

Standard: Varthok casts cure serious wounds as a spell-like ability, touching the unconscious student to heal him or her of 25 HP. If the student should happen to be undead, it instead takes the same amount as damage (Will DC 18 half).
    Roll: (3d8)[5][2][6](13) + 12
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2014-12-06 at 03:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    This is a forum where you ask "How do you get an ability score to 34?" and get answers that proceed to "You should convert all of history into omnipotent hiveminded clones of yourself. How to do this should be fairly obvious."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Ghola, Thufir, and Varthok

Despite their leader's order to remain calm, all the students jerk back a step or two in nervousness and fear when Varthok reveals himself. When they see that he doesn't look like the popular image of some tauric arcane monstrosity from out of legend and hear his soothing voice, though, most of them relax, even the student who'd been freaking out a few moments before. "Oh...well, that's okay, then. I was expecting something a lot scarier and evil-er than that. He just looks like a really ugly angel," he says, with a young teenager's utter tactlessness, and is quickly shushed by the nearest other student.

"Thank you very much, uh, sir, and well met," the ringleader says with a short bow. "Rations and berries would be fine for now. I don't think anyone had a real supper before filling up on candy floss and popping corn at the festival, and I know I couldn't eat anything too heavy right now." Looking to his comrades, he asks, "Anyone want to get in a tent, or is outside okay?" They vote in favor of remaining outside in the fresh air, and with that move to sit in small groups on un-vomited-upon spots in the grass.

Unfortunately, the unconscious students experience none of this peaceful explanation and accommodation, so when Varthok's patient rolls over and looks around to get his bearings, all he sees is a huge, furry, toothy, and winged monster looming over him with one paw on his chest. He lets out a high-pitched shriek and tries to wriggle away from Varthok, but as soon as the gnoll's wings are no longer blocking his vision he catches sight of a massive spiky dragon and his rider looming over his classmates, who all look injured and upset. The poor student curls into a ball on the grass, squeezes his eyes shut, and starts whimpering I don't wanna die over and over again until the ringleader walks over and snaps him out of it.

One hasty explanation later, the student is slightly less traumatized and is getting a dramatized recap of the battle with the Inquisitors from the other students. "We should have seen that coming. Maybe I should be with you when you heal the next one," the ringleader suggests.

Everyone Else

"A flame strike? Are you mad? There are children there!" the Helmite objects to the Hextorite's suggestion. "Witches, or heathens at best," the Hextorite sneers. "Children," the Helmite reiterates, "and quite possibly hostages."

He lifts one gauntleted hand and points at Armand. "Helm's strength hold thee fast," he intones, and a beam of emerald light shoots from his finger towards Armand's chest. He lifts his holy symbol in the other hand and recites the same prayer again, sending another emerald beam at Kaulesh. Fortunately, the Inquisitor's prayer gives his targets a moment's notice of his intentions, and both Armand and Kaulesh manage to dodge the rays of light even given the cramped confines of the stone walls surrounding them. "Should've used a flame strike," the Hextorite says smugly as the Helmite frowns. "These witches are more slippery than usual."

Spoiler
    Show
    The Helmite cast two dimensional anchors, the second one quickened.

Ranged touch attack vs. Armand: (1d20+14)[20] vs. touch AC 23
    Ranged touch attack vs. Kaulesh: (1d20+14)[16] vs. touch AC 36
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2014-12-11 at 05:31 PM.

Show

<Snip>

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Kaulesh grins as the priests try to dodge his flames, but seemingly ignore the threat, and do not move, but instead move to keep them all together, seemingly, these priests had never encountered the likes of this group.

Perhaps it was time to introduce the rebellion to the officials...

With the whisp of smoke and ethereal power that emanates from him as he transforms, he shifts into the visage of an attractive winged elf, his wings beating as he moves forward towards the priests, but not before sending in another greenish-red ball of fire towards them.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift action to alter self into an Avariel with circlet of Rapid casting (last charge)
    Standard action to cast another fireball Fireball - (10d6)[28] DC 20 for half
    No action, stay in the same stance (Mystic Phoenix)
    Move action to move towards the closest one within 50 ft (i have flying 50 ft now), preferably the hextorite.

Can we get a map please?

I will be using Fire riposte on any enemy who attacks me this round
    Melee touch attack - (1d20+18)[21]
    Fire damage - (4d6)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Varthok slumped down miserably – ears, wings, and all – as the poor student curled up in a ball and hugged himself, whimpering pitifully until one of his fellows came over to console him. Not even the “ugly angel” comment could have hurt quite as much as that; had it been Ghola or Tarnoc who said it, he would just have stuck his tongue out and shot back, “I'm a really ugly half-angel, thank you very much.” But there was something to be learned from every failure, so Varthok made a mental note to be more thoughtful and circumspect in the future. 'I'll need to apologize for frightening him once he calms down,' he thought, 'but a reliable human disguise would have made this turn out better, wouldn't it?'

Presently, one of the students came back over to talk once his friend had been sufficiently reassured. “We should have seen that coming.” Varthok nodded in agreement; he'd been a little too complacent, too used to being around people who'd accepted him (sort of) for what he was. “Maybe I should be with you when you heal the next one,” he suggested. That was probably for the best, but it so happened that Varthok had no more healing magic ready. Admitting that was not going to help the situation, but he had an idea that would let him kill three birds with one stone.

Yes, I think that's a very good idea,” Varthok replied, “but even with you here, I don't want to frighten any more of your friends.” He stood up and gave his wings a quick beat – the feathers had been brushing uncomfortably against the ground while he'd been kneeling – and then turned to address the ringleader. “Have any of you ever seen a summoning before?” Varthok tilted his head slightly in curiosity. “I'm going to call for a unicorn and see if one answers. Would you be so kind as to let them know,” indicating the other students with a slight wave of his arm, “so they won't be startled by it?” Turning his attention to his spell, Varthok settled into a more comfortable stance, feet shoulder-width apart and arms at his sides. He tilted his head back and closed his eyes, breathing more slowly and deeply, then he opened his eyes again and suddenly looked back at the student once more. “I've completely forgotten my manners. My name is Varthok.” He extended a paw for a handshake – that was what civilized humanoids did, right? – and asked, “Might I know yours?

Spoiler: Actions taken
    Show

1 round: Once he's finished talking, Varthok will sacrifice one of his prepared 4th level spells (purified call lightning) in order to spontaneously cast summon nature's ally IV. The summoned unicorn will remain for 12 rounds.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2014-12-14 at 10:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320

Chimera

Spoiler
    Show
    Destination: Edge of Forest (3-4 Miles)
    Targets: Thufir, Self
    Roll: (1d100)[48] On target if 01-94, Off Target ((1d10)[9]*(1d10)[9]%) if 95-97, Similar Area (Closest similar place to "Pond at Base") if 98-99, Mishap if 100.

EDIT: Success

Ghola (Disguised as Juvenile Fang Dragon) & Thufir (Disguised as Nimblewright):

"Varthok," Thufir shouted, mounting atop Ghola's draconic form, "I must go to the others; something may have gone wrong. We'll return shortly, but for now, I leave these children in your capable hands." In a flash of light, Thufir and Ghola disappeared, whisked back to the battle.
    Last edited by Getsugaru; 2015-01-20 at 02:42 PM.
    Show
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Varthok

When you ask if anyone has seen a summoning before, all the younger students shake their heads while a few of the older ones nod in the affirmative. "Sister Illeria did that once for our third-year Exotic Creatures final," the ringleader explains, "but that was just for a heavenly eagle. I haven't seen a unicorn before, but we know they're not evil, don't worry." Still, he motions for everyone to move back, just in case. He gingerly takes your paw and shakes it, careful not to let your claws touch his wrist. "Erm, nice to meet you, Mr. Varthok. I'm..." he pauses, obviously torn as to whether he should reveal his real name. "I'm Yashirin," he finally answers. "Yashirin Ashcombe. Thanks for healing Connor and taking care of everyone else, sir."

He quickly releases your hand, though not quickly enough to seem rude, and steps back to join the others while you perform your summoning. The students who hadn't seen a summoning before gasp in amazement when a soft white haze forms in the air and then clears to reveal a unicorn, with a coat of purest white and golden eyes and horn. They all stare at it in silence as it looks them each straight in the eyes as if gazing right into their souls, then whinnies softly in equine approval and turns to you. <Well met, forest-brother,> it says in Sylva in a voice deep and strong, yet soft, like velvet over sturdy oak. <I have heard your entreaty and answered. What need have you of me this day?>

Everyone Else

The Inquisitors once more do their best to zip out of the way of Kaulesh's fireballs, but their attachment to their flying pentagonal formation means they don't do all that good a job of dodging. More emerald flames scorch their uniforms and in some cases the flesh beneath, and before they can catch their breaths and do anything about it the Hextorite sees Kaulesh flying towards him, causing his mouth to contort in fury as he pulls the spiked flail off his belt and hefts it. "Damn it all, Roram, if you'd just flame striked them..." he snarls. "Well, let's see how these heathens fare against cold iron!"

The Hextorite rushes out of formation and swings his flail at Kaulesh. The flail's chain connects with Kaulesh's outstretched forearm as he easily redirects the swing out and away from himself, and the Inquisitor's expression changes to one of shock. "What in the--!?" he growls as he scurries back a few feet to get back out of reach. "A warrior, too?" The other Inquisitors look quite disturbed that these witches, whoever they are, can rebuff their weapons as easily as their prayers.

The Osiran frowns at Kaulesh, and his frown deepens as he sees the teleporting dragon reappear in the midst of the witches on the ground. "You were right," he tells the Hextorite, "nonlethal means won't be sufficient against these. And as I do not see any more children down there..." He lifts his holy symbol and chants something which Kaulesh and Ghola understand to mean May the grace of Osiris shepherd you into the afterlife in Terran, and all of you enclosed within the stone walls feel the temperature drop precipitously. The air darkens for an instant, and you can feel some divine force attacking your very souls, before the sensation passes and the light returns.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex saves vs. Kaulesh's fireball:
    Hextorite: (1d20+8)[16]
    Osiran: (1d20+11)[15]
    Helmite: (1d20+7)[11]
    Baldran: (1d20+12)[23]
    Ganeshan: (1d20+8)[21]

The Hextorite attacks Kaulesh with what those of you with sufficient Martial Lore ranks recognize as a Revitalizing Strike maneuver.
    Flail: (1d20+28)[29]; Damage: (1d10+9)[14]
    If he hits, the Hextorite heals (3d6+6)[21] damage, and is hit for 10 fire damage by Kaulesh's successful Fire Riposte. EDIT: Nope.

The Osiran uses a cold-substituted flame strike against everyone but Kaulesh.
    Reflex saves vs. DC 20 for half:
    Aat: (1d20+16)[19]
    Armand: (1d20+15)[23]
    Diael: (1d20+18)[25]
    Ghola: (1d20+7)[11]
    Those who fail take (11d6)[41] damage, half of which is cold and half of which is untyped.
    EDIT: Looks like Aat and Ghola takes 20 cold and 21 divine damage, and Armand and Diael take 10 cold and 10 untyped.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2015-02-22 at 11:38 PM.

Show

<Snip>

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Map--Round 2

Show

<Snip>

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Varthok bowed respectfully in response to the unicorn’s greeting, though the gesture required that he partially extend his wings to maintain balance. It was certainly not the most graceful of introductions, but there was no time to worry about that considering his spell would not last very long. «I humbly beg that you forgive any breach of etiquette born of my urgency, noble steward of the forest,» he said in his curiously-accented Sylvan, «but some of these children were wounded before being brought here and entrusted to my care.» He paused to make a quick sweep of his arm to indicate the general vicinity and the unconscious forms laying in the grass. «I was not expecting to need much healing magic today, and I have already used what little I prepared. I would please ask of you to tend to their injuries.»

He then lowered his voice slightly — not so much that the children could not hear him; conspiratorial whispering would surely not put them at ease — and spoke in a more frank tone, «I’m sure you’ve noticed how frightened they are, to say the least, but I think you and I can both see how your presence puts them at ease.» He briefly glanced over his shoulder and then nodded once, emphatically, at the unicorn. «When you’ve finished your ministrations, would you please spare a few moments to speak with them? I fear they'll need all the reassurance they can get before the night is over.»

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Varthok

<Your urgency is understood, forest-brother, and your concern for the little ones is commendable,> the unicorn says approvingly. It steps over to the unconscious students, its movements purposeful yet somehow delicate, and gently lowers its horn to tap each one on the chest. A soft golden glow travels from the horn's tip into the students to wipe away the large splotchy bruises left by their attacker, and they both breathe in deeply and smile as they awaken. The sight of Varthok dims their smiles a bit, but they do not panic like the first student did--whether because they are still feeling the calming effects of the unicorn's magic or because they remember from their lectures that unicorns do not associate with evil or savage beings, you couldn't say. <They shall yet require rest, but they walk nowhere near death's door,> the unicorn tells you with quiet satisfaction.

The unicorn's actions take it close to the other students as well, and they relax further as its soothing protective aura envelops them. It turns to address them once the healed students stand and join them. "Harken, little ones," the unicorn says in un-accented Common. "I know not what foes you flee, nor what destination you seek. Your journey may be long or short, the dangers many or few, the path arduous or smooth. But know this: I have gazed upon the forest-brother who will guide you on your path"--he indicates you with a small motion of his head in your direction--"and seen naught but a noble soul and kind intentions. Shrink not from his fearsome mien, nor second-guess his purpose. Trust in him and in one another, and I am sure the morrow shall find you well."

The students are visibly cheered and reassured by the unicorn's speech; if what their teachers have told them is a walking talking incarnation of virtue says you're all right, you must be all right, right? The unicorn smiles an equine smile and dips his head to indicate he is finished speaking, then steps back over to you. <Your charges seem heartened, and with luck and Mielikki's favor their good cheer shall remain through whatever challenges lie ahead. Have you aught else to ask of me before I take my leave?>

Everyone Else

Your skirmish with the Inquisitors is briefly paused as a small commotion breaks out back at the city gate and the Inquisitors look back to determine the cause. Said cause turns out to be three figures on horseback emerging from the gate, one leading and the other two trailing on either side. It's hard to make out details at this distance, but the rider in front wears what appears to be thick armor of gold and silver scales, and she carries a large scaled shield, half red and half blue. The rider to the left wears jet-black plate armor inscribed with a golden emblem of some sort on the chest and fringed with spikes that look like the claws or fangs of a large dragon, while the rider to the right wears a heavy fur-lined cloak of green and yellow scales. The trio are riding at a gallop, and will reach you in a minute at most, probably less than half that.

"Ah, I see our dragon-slayer has finally arrived," the Hextorite calls out to you with a triumphant grin on his face, "and she's brought her assistants as well. This should prove entertaining." The Inquisitors return their attention to you and hover back into their pentagon formation, content to let you make the next move now that their reinforcements are on the way.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2015-04-06 at 03:52 AM.

Show

<Snip>

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

Hearing the Hextorites announcement makes his face blanche in terror.
    "The dragonslayer?" He straightens up, wincing at his burns. "The three of you grab hold of each other, once we're out, we grab the monk and go." Diael, Ghola, and Aat are given little time to react or question before Armand begins his incantation, which he concludes by touching the dragon in a burst of conjuration energy.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast dimension door. Teleporting south towards Kaulesh.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone But Varthok

The Osiran raises a hand to his holy symbol to counter Armand's teleportation, but the Ganeshan shakes his head and waves him off, perhaps thinking that a mere dimension door won't let the party escape. He obviously didn't expect Armand to teleport closer to them, and the Inquisitors' haughty façades crack somewhat as the one mysteriously-competent witch near them suddenly becomes four mysteriously-competent witches and a dragon; the Inquisitors all involuntarily float back a few feet and the Hextorite's smile now looks quite forced.

The Baldran Inquisitor quickly looks back at the dragonslayer and her retinue, then at the dragon before him and its retinue, and makes a decision. "Spread out and surround them, but stay out of reach of their dragon," he calls. "We can't let them escape again before she gets here." He makes a few hand motions and the other Inquisitors swftly fly over and around you to form a larger pentagon encircling you. He narrows his eyes appraisingly at you while they rearrange themselves, then in Celestial he continues: [Gravebrother Nefer, prepare to counter any further teleportation, no matter what sort. Watchknight Saros, I want Astral anchors on as many of them as you can manage.]

In the common tongue, he says one final word: "Halt." The word has the force of Baldr's disapproval behind it, demanding you to cease your escape and face judgment, and it might even have worked on a group of normal gods-fearing citizens...but you all have long practice in ignoring the dictates of the churches, and the divine wrath washes over you like so much white noise. A frustrated scowl creases the Baldran's face as he realizes that, yet again, you've all thrown off Inquisitorial magic somehow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Those of you with Martial Lore ranks identify the Baldran's movement orders as the Order Forged From Chaos maneuver.

The Baldran then casts greater command. Those who fail a Will save vs. DC 21 cannot act for 1 round:
    Aat: (1d20+15)[35]
    Armand: (1d20+19)[25]
    Diael: (1d20+15)[29]
    Ghola: (1d20+12)[32]
    Kaulesh: (1d20+11)[25]

Map--Round 3
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2015-09-10 at 07:52 PM.

Show

<Snip>

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

As he did before, the Helmite raises his empty hand and his holy symbol, and with an intonation of "Flee not, and submit thyselves to Helm's righteous judgment" launches two emerald rays at Armand and Diael. Diael manages to duck the ray, which fizzles harmlessly against the ground under his feet, but Armand finds himself enveloped in a shimmering field that tints everything he can see a deep green, and he somehow feels more solid and grounded than he did a moment before. "Finally," the Helmite grouses, then adds to the Osiran, "Nefer, do not let them remove that ward!"

The Osiran nods, then touches one hand to his holy symbol and glares at Thufir, as if daring him to try to teleport away now while his ally is stuck here.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Helmite cast two dimensional anchors, the second one quickened.

Ranged touch attack vs. Armand: (1d20+14)[31] vs. touch AC 23
    Ranged touch attack vs. Diael: (1d20+14)[24] vs. touch AC 31
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2015-07-14 at 12:39 AM.

Show

<Snip>

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

Cursing under his breath as the beam strikes him in the chest; Armand glares at the priest as his vision gains a green tint. Quickly scrambling onto dragonback he finds a perch and raises one hand to sternum, centering his body and calming his soul for a few brief seconds. "Gain power from strength." He mutters. "Strength from Passion. Power to sunder the chains that bind. Granting victory."
    Finishing the litany, Armand exerts his will and cleanses his body and soul of the divine magics.

Spoiler
    Show
    Iron heart surge, natch.

29. - Top - End - #329

Chimera

Ghola, noting the situation, decides enough is enough. But a quick action is needed, and a simple plan will likely be more effective. With that in mind, Ghola reviewed all the information he had available in his mind in a flash; They've made several attempts at intercepting magic, so one of them must be specialized in counterspelling. Another desired that we simply be taken out, with a third countering about the chance of hostages. They possess an enemy presumably trained in the art of Dragon Slaying, who is currently en route with their apprentices in tow. Above float five Inquisitor clerics; a Hextorite, an Osiran named Nefer, a Helmite named Roram, a Baldran named Saros, and a Ganeshan. They posses anti-teleportation magic as well, and are likely to use delay tactics until the Dragon Slayer arrives.

We have five mages, three of which utilize psionic energies. I am currently in the form of a juvenile-aged fang dragon, with Thufir in Nimblewright form atop me. We have a grand total of seven targets for extraction, myself included. Eight counting Thufir. I can only take five, including myself, at a time, but can have Thufir take four of them himself...wait! Armand should still have a spell of teleportation remaining. If he and I were to combine our efforts...

Ghola now had a plan, which he instantly relays to Thufir through their Psychic bond. Thufir smiles a genuine smile and looks up to the inquisitors. "Saros, Nefer, Roram," he shouts. "Thanks!"
    As Thufir shouts, Ghola pulls his head around to Armand and whispers into his ear in draconic. "You still possess a teleportation spell today, correct?"
    Show
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Armand,

He jerks his head at the whispered query. "There's always room for one more. I just fear interruptions." He whispers back in the same tongue.