New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Last Paladin IC - OzzyKP

For countless years, the mortal races lived in peace and prosperity. Under the teachings of the Three Thrones; Oralius, goddess of love, Ashelon, god of Justice, and Akasha, god of Destiny, mortals knew little true strife. Their mistakes did cause them grief as is inevitable, but their wounds were tended and succor was given.

This golden age ended when mortals became full of pride. They began to seek knowledge and power of their own. Priests were replaced by wizards, and the secular grew more favored than the sacred. The mortal mages grew to overestimate their own power, and mastery over the fickle forces of the arcane.

In an act of cataclysmic foolishness, they attempted to bridge the gulf between the material realm and the other planes, so that they could be free to conquer. Instead, they quickly found themselves overwhelmed as the fiends of the Lower Planes poured through the gates they had created. The mortal lands were quickly reduced to nothing more than another front of the Blood War.

In this Time of Horrors, you find yourself struggling to make a difference. For you are of a dying breed. You took an oath as a defender of justice, and the virtues the Three Thrones gave to mortalkind. You are the Last Paladin.

Wind howls through the twilight, catching your hair and whipping it about. As you've headed northward up this craggy, desolate road, the wind has grown stronger and colder. Nevertheless you push on, knowing you cannot turn back.

You turn your face from the wind, and the scar tissue on your face pulls. While not terribly noticeable, the wound wrought by demon claw resists complete healing, even by your restorative powers.

The feeling of the claw wound reminds you of how you got it, at the last village you tried to defend. While sometimes you are able to protect a village and its inhabitants, this time you failed; the ravaging spawn of the Abyss rent the bodies of every man, woman and child. For some reason, after defeating you they let you live, perhaps as a way of salting the wound, or simply at a whim. Such is the nature of the demons.

Now, you continue your grim, lonely pilgrimage. It has been over a day since you've rested, but you do not slow down your pace; while you can't see anything amiss, you sense something watching you.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC - OzzyKP

The familiar clip-clop, clip-clop of Társ' hooves is interrupted by small snort and flinch of Sándor's mount and companion.

He gives a reassuring pat on her neck and bows down ever so slightly to whisper to his friend, "Its alright girl, I feel it too. There's someone out there. Don't get spooked, for now it is better they don't realize we are aware of them. Just keep walking."

Sándor concentrates in the direction he feels he is being watched from, searching for evil.

Spoiler
    Show
    I cast detect evil
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

You scan the immediate vicinity, when suddenly you are assaulted by a sense of overwhelming evil. They sensation is so powerful, it leaves you temporarily stunned.

Your vision clears, and a shadow passes over the setting sun. Graceful as a cat, a large green dragon lands a good fifty feet in front of you. It is no mere dragon, though; from the black, forward curving horns, to the patches of obsidian in its otherwise emerald hide, to the scent of sulfur that lingers about it, it is clear that this abomination is the spawn of an unholy union of dragon and fiend.

"Sahqo Luv. I am Vulthuryol, scion of the Harbringer. I have been hunting you for some time, human. Feasting on the flesh of the last paladin would bring me much honor."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor briefly considered his options. Here, on the side of a mountain, there was no where to run. Had he tried the dragon could easily chase him down. Could he reason with it? Unlikely. This is no incidental encounter, the beast sought him out for one purpose, his death. Sándor thirsted for knowledge and he hated not knowing who this Harbringer is and why he cared enough about Sándor's fate to send such an deadly foe after him. He very much wanted to get more information out of the dragon. But standing at the top of a cliff with a menacing dragon in front of him was no time to have a conversation. Any moment wasted could further put his life in danger. He had no option but to attack.

"Well," he said to Társ, "Today's as good a day to die as any. You ready, girl?"

He reached for his lance and shouted out to the monster that lay before him, "I fear I may leave a bad taste in your mouth, fiend."

With that he spurred his horse forward and charged fearlessly toward the imposing monster.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+1)[6] (I need initiative, right?)
    Attack roll: (1d20+11)[31]
    Damage roll: (2d8+34)[41]

18 AC + 2 = 20

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

(I'm going ahead and rolling a crit. check for you this time.)

Crit. (d20+11)[25]
    Damage (Added to previous roll): (d8+17)[25]

Your opponent, perhaps out of some sense of fair play, lets you hit first. This ends up being a mistake, as you deal a terrible blow. Your lance pierces Vulthuryol's shoulder, wounding both his foreleg and his wing, temporarily grounding him.

The dragon pulls back, yanking the end of your lance out him. Unable to fly, the beast retreats, but not without swinging his tail at you as he leaves.

Take 12 damage.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-01-05 at 04:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

haha, I didn't even think to check. Wow. Sándor is quite a bad ass. :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Pleased with his devastating blow, Sándor feels a bit more confident now to try and pry more information out of this beast. He turns his horse around to face the dragon, but stays out of range. He sizes up the creature.

While quickly healing himself, he shouts to the dragon, "Who is this Harbringer, and why does he concern himself with my fate?"

Sándor steadies his lance and waits (again, out of range I hope) for a response).

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume I've lost my lance for the moment, correct?

"sizes up the creature" = Knowledge (planes) = [roll]1d20+3[/roll]

HP: 44-12 = 32
    Lay on Hands: (2d6)[11]

HP: 32+11 = 43
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-05 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Yay, still have my lance. Nevermind about that sword thing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops, I can't add dice rolls to edited posts:

"sizes up the creature" = Knowledge (planes) = (1d20+3)[23]
    Knowledge (religion) (why not, right?) = (1d20+6)[21]

Holy crap, the dice lords favor me. I will be for some trouble when my luck finally balances out.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-05 at 04:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

(I said the dragon pulls the lance out of him, not you. You still have it. Also, Laying on hands uses a swift action, and knowledge checks don't use any actions, so you can still act unless you want to go ahead and switch weapons.)

You recall now from your history that the Harbinger was the self-appointed title of a pit fiend who commands the infernal forces in Validor, the land you currently reside in. Despite all of their efforts, the members of your order were unable to ascertain its true name.

If this Vulthuryol truly is the son of the Harbinger, and you have no reason to suspect otherwise, then he truly is powerful. In addition to all of his powers as a green dragon, he would have many powers of evil. If he so choosed, Vul could likely destroy you just by uttering a word, yet he does not, seeming intent on defeating you using only tooth and claw. It is also fortunate you can power your weapon with divine wrath; dragons are inherently resistant to mundane weapons.

"The Harbinger is rightful lord of this Realm, and you represent the Beaten Gods as a challenge to his authority. By destroying you, I will gain favor over my brethren at his side."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

(It's still your turn, but I have to go to work. Will post either later tonight or tomorrow. )

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor was feeling better about himself after his successful charge, but now that he better recognized this beast, he was more aware that he was alive only through the graciousness of his foe.

"Is there much honor in a dragon as powerful as you defeating a lowly paladin? I don't recall any of my paladin brothers seeking accolades for killing an Abyssal Larva."

Sándor steadied his lance and made another charge at the fearsome creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy (Hopefully more firmly convincing the dragon to stick with tooth and claw): (1d20+11)[30]

Attack roll: (1d20+11)[17]
    Damage roll: (2d8+26)[42]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

You gallop forward once more, but this time your lance deflects off of the beast's scaled hide. Vul then retaliates, striking with tooth and claw. He obviously favors one foreleg, the other rapidly becoming covered in acrid-smelling blood.

Take 24 damage.

His claw rakes your side, and his bite, while unable to pierce your armor, does deal crushing power.

For a moment, the dragon seems to reconsider whether the fight is worth the struggle; another blow may be enough to dissuade him entirely.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

After such a successful beginning, Sándor finally got a taste of the true power of this giant beast. His whole body ached, he labored to breathe, it seemed the dragon's bite had broken one or more of his ribs. Another blow like that and Sándor might be done for. Yet... strangely, despite regaining the upper hand, the evil creature seemed less certain about this battle then ever.

Sándor discretely healed himself with his free hand and did his best to laugh off his wound, he made it clear to the dragon that he was not afraid, and there would be far more pain to come if this battle continued any longer. With as much of a shout as his broken ribs could muster he charged once more at the great dragon.

Spoiler
    Show

Lay on Hands: (2d6)[6]

Attack roll: (1d20+11)[13]
    Damage roll: (2d8+26)[29]

(and now my luck starts to turn.. heh)

HP tally: 43 - 24 = 19 + 6 = 25
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-05 at 11:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Your hit once again falls short. Vul tries to attack you, but when his head jabs forward, Társ sidesteps, and the dragon slams his head into the rock ground, dazing himself.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good girl! I knew those dressage classes would pay off!"

As before, Sándor heals himself before making another charge at the stunned dragon. He hoped that this time his lance would pierce the monster's scaly hide.

Spoiler
    Show

Lay on Hands (third use, three left): (2d6)[8]
    Attack roll: (1d20+11)[14]
    Damage roll: (2d8+26)[38]

HP tally: 25 + 8 = 33
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-05 at 11:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"It seems you are correct. You are unworthy of my attention; I would have hoped you would prove a greater adversary. Perhaps we will meet again, and you will be a more suitable challenge."

With that, Vulthuryol disappears into the forest, leaving you alone on the trail.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Sándor was glad to have survived such a deadly encounter, but after such a strong beginning, he hoped to send the dragon limping back to his father with tales of Sándor's great strength. However, it was Sándor who was limping away from the scene, pride as wounded as his body.

"Well, at least I have a spell for one of those," he muttered to Társ.

Sándor once again laid his hand upon his skin, feeling the divine healing power repair his broken rib instantly. Suddenly he could breathe easier and his pain began to recede. He checked his companion for damage, making sure she was ok.

"We are lucky to be alive, but we have entered a dangerous realm," he continued speaking with a chuckle, "when a pit fiend knows who you are and his unholy brood hunt you down, you know it is time to move on."

He and Sir Alaric survived as long as they did by not attracting the attention of the highest levels of demon & devil kind. He hadn't been in Validor long and the self-proclaimed ruler of this land was already after him. Sándor decided to lead Társ to the quickest road out of this realm.

Spoiler
    Show

Lay on Hands (4th use, 2 left): (2d6)[6]

How do I check Társ for damage?

Handle Animal: (1d20+8)[19]
    Heal: (1d20+5)[22]

HP tally: 33 + 6 = 39
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-06 at 01:41 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

You look over your horse, but find no injury on her.
    (I will notify you if your mount takes damage.)

The wind grows stronger and colder. You notice the sky has grown overcast, making the night even darker; you strain your eyes into the inky blackness.

A snowflake sails past you. You didn't realize it was so cold; you ache all over, and you feel the chill in your bones. You can go no further tonight.

You notice what looks like an entrance to a cave beside the road. You proceed into it, realizing you don't have much of an option at this point.

There is a dank, musty smell as you proceed into the cave. Slime clings to the walls, where there isn't pale fungus or mold. The floor is worn smooth, and occasionally you see a bone.

The cavern opens outward, into a chamber approx. 20 ft. across. While it is for the most part empty, you see what looks like scorch marks on the floor. Aside the way you came in, there is a small crack in the back wall, concealed behind a row of stalagmites.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2013-01-06 at 12:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, this looks like our best bet. Do you think we can make it through an uneventful night for once?"

Sándor searched around the chamber, looking for anything out of the ordinary. He paid particular attention to the crack on the back wall.

"What do you think girl, do you hear or smell anything?"

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+1)[7]
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-06 at 12:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

At first, you hear nothing, but Társ seems to notice something. You concentrate, and you think you hear the clamor of fighting echoing from the crack.

You examine it further. Inside the crack there is the entrance to a small tunnel. You could fit through if you crawled on your hands and knees. The tunnel is obviously artificial, and poorly crafted. There is a terrible stench about it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sigh, if I were smarter I'd seal this hole off and mind my own business. But it seems I gave up being smart when I took up paladining."

Sándor gets on his hands and knees and slowly crawls through the hole. He goes very slowly, looking as best he can for traps, weak stone, and other beings who could spot him.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

The tunnel is long and straight, relatively speaking. The walls and floor are covered in filth, though, and the sounds of fighting echo louder the further you progress.

Eventually, you come to the other end of the tunnel. Crouching behind a stalagmite, you look into the large room beyond. Near your position, you see a human woman (hf) armed with a large sword and shield struggling against a band of goblins (g). Several more goblins lay dead at her feet, but you know she won't hold out much longer. Across a river, there is at least one other visible goblin watching. A particularly nasty one is running across a wooden bridge. To your right, there is a pit, to your left a large but shoddy looking gate.

(Here's an encounter map. I'll map the more complicated fights.)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon seeing the scene before him Sándor thinks to himself, "Demon-dragons, goblins, human women, somehow I seem to find myself on some kind of super highway of random encounters. I need to stick to more secluded roads in the future..."

He tries to think of some way to announce his presence, but can't come up with anything suitable to say. He figures a great sword crashing through a goblin skull makes his intentions pretty clear to all involved.

Sándor draws his sword and attacks the nearest goblin.

Spoiler
    Show

Great Sword - +8 attack, 2d6 + 3 damage
    Power Attack - -2 attack, +6 damage
    Flanking - +2 attack

Initiative: (1d20+1)[6]
    Attack: (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage: (2d6+9)[13]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The goblins don't notice your approach, and you are able to catch them off-guard. Your blow splits the goblin's skull open.

The woman uses the momentary distraction to her advantage. With a mighty swing of her sword, she decapitates both remaining goblins.

The goblins on the far shore respond by releasing a volley of arrows. These force the woman to raise her shield up. This allows the goblin on the bridge to charge her.

You take a closer look at this goblin. What really sets it apart, aside from the heavier equipment it carries, such as a battle axe and heavy shield as opposed to the short sword of the ones you just killed, are the flames that dance from its mouth. It takes advantage of the woman's distraction from the arrows to land a blow from its battle axe.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

As Sándor moves behind the battle axe wielding goblin, he speaks to the woman, "Hope you don't mind my interfering, but it looks like you could use a hand."

As he moves into position he takes a good look at this goblin. Flames in its mouth? This is no normal goblin. There is certainly something strange about this creature.

"Whatever it is", Sándor thought, "It was clearly a threat."

Of course he doesn't know anything about this woman either. He calls upon the Three Thrones to determine whether either or both of them are evil.

After flanking the unusual goblin, Sándor brings his great sword down upon the miserable creature.*

Spoiler
    Show

*Unless my detect evil shows the woman to be evil and not the goblin

Actions:
    Knowledge (Planes) check: (1d20+3)[17]
    Detect Evil

Smite Evil - +4 attack, +4 damage (+8 if the goblin is part demon), +4 AC
    Great Sword - +8 attack, 2d6+3 damage
    Flanking - +2 attack

Attack: (1d20+12)[13]
    Damage: (2d6+13)[16] (If there is some demon in that goblin, add 4 more)

(Let me know if I'm doing too many things at once, I'm still new at the whole combat round thing)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

(You need to spend a round concentrating to determine the presence or absence of evil.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I just checked it out, and it looks like I can do it as a move action, but I can only do one target at a time. So if I'm able to flank the goblin and do detect evil, then do it. If not, then just do the flanking and skip the detect evil.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

The goblin blocks the blow from your greatsword with its shield. You do not sense anything, but you recall the warning that weak creatures such as goblins would not register regardless of their wickedness.

The woman swings as well, but the goblin succeeds in blocking her blow also.

The goblin turns on you. It hacks at you with its axe and gnashes its fiery teeth at you.

Take 2 damage.

The goblins from across the river launch arrows at you, but you are able to shrug them off without slowing.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

This time Sándor concentrates his evil-dar on the woman, but strikes down hard at the goblin.

Spoiler
    Show

Smite Evil - +4 attack, +4 damage (+8 if the goblin is part demon), +4 AC
    Great Sword - +8 attack, 2d6+3 damage
    Flanking - +2 attack

Attack: (1d20+12)[26]
    Damage: (2d6+13)[21] (If there is some demon in that goblin, add 4 more, did my planes check come up with anything?)

HP 39 - 2 = 37
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2013-01-06 at 04:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

You do not recognize the goblin as being some form of demon, and don't know enough about goblins to determine the full extent of its power. You are, however, able to deal a mighty blow. The goblin recoils, and the woman finishes it off. You sense nothing from the woman.

The other two goblins retreat, further north into the cavern. You notice one of them tug on something beneath the bridge as they do so.