New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question [3.5] Sorcerer "Spell Known" Champion?

So, is there a build that holds the record for number of spells known using a Sorcerer base?

I mean, using items and enough WBL (Knowtones, Runestaves etc.) they can theoretically know a near infinite amount.

But just using feats, PrCs etc. how many spells known can you get on an ECL 20 build?

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Sorcerer "Spell Known" Champion?

Take the feat Magical Training (PGtF), you now have a spellbook that you've already put a few 0-level spells into that you can add more spells to the same way as a Wizard does (per Rules Compenium). You're not necessarily limited to learning Wizard spells.

Take the feat Versatile Spellcaster (RotD), you can now spend two spell slots of the same level to cast 'any spell you know' of one level higher. It would be fair to make the character have the spellbook open to that spell and read it as he casts it, making this impractical during combat.

This also works for Beguiler, Warmage, Dread Necromancer, Bard, etc.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Depends heavily on sources, variants (flaws), and cheese. Basically the only thing that really increases your spells known by a significant amount are the dragon mag bloodline feats. There's enough of those to fill up all your feat slots as long as you're willing to eat all the restrictions, so fill up your feats. Sand Shaper costs one feat to enter and gives more back than a bloodline, so your build is Sorcerer/Sand Shaper with Touchstone (City of the Dead) and as many bloodline feats as you can afford. If you use some cheese loops you can probably find a way to get a bunch of Extra Spell feats once you run out of bloodlines.

Well, you could go Exalted Arcanist, which apparently doesn't conflict with Sand Shaper. That'd cost you two more feats in return for all the sanctified spells, which again have some 4+ per level so you get more back, but you lose another level of casting and most sanctified spells aren't actually practical so they're more for bragging rights.

Edit: Oh, and Dracolexi is decent, giving you 5 spells known with the last at 9th level. You could dip Sand Shaper, finish Exalted Arcanist, and still fit in all the bonus spells from Dracolexi at 20th. You could do the same thing with Frost Mage and its 5 bonus spells, but Frost Mage and its bonus spells are garbage.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2017-02-21 at 08:25 AM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: [3.5] Sorcerer "Spell Known" Champion?

I keep turning around a gestalt build in my head involving Eldrich Master from Dragon 280, page 88 which would get a bunch of extra spells known and spell slots. Here is an old thread about that.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Eldrich-Master

I think your best bet for increased spell access is actually Shadowcraft Mage. Between directly giving you access to something like 1.8 schools of magic, you also get all the SLAs from the Summon Monster line.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer with Spellhoard Dragon Psychosis (Dragon #313). Becomes basically a wizard = prepared spells. Spells are scratched into your scales instead of a spellbook.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Looking at the rules on extra domains... a Sorcerer gets boned when getting class-granted Domains, since they have to use their own spells known slots to get the domain spells.

Wizards (and Archivists, by the way it's written) have to go out and get scrolls of the Domain Spells they get access to. It doesn't even say you can choose them with the new spells known you get every level.

Heck, even the way the Feat Arcane Disciple is written hoses Sorcerers. It's added to their class list, not known list.

Of course, this makes the Sovereign Host a power "deity choice" for Warmages, Dread Necromancers & Beguilers because it allows for a huge selection of Domains.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Sculpt Self a Runestaff onto yourself. Congrats, you now know as many spells as you have XP for. And hey since it's technically an item, you can use that one spell with a charm to steal everyone else's XP to power your lust for knowledge.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2017-02-21 at 03:29 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

A sorcerer can indeed get into mage of the arcane order. Does that help any?

Tack on cerebrosis and mother cyst for a bunch more.

Heck, become undead and get spell stitched for a few more.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2017-02-21 at 04:10 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Campaign specific, but taking a Dragon mark as a sorcerer in Ebberon gains you ALL the spells known for your mark ( at the correct levels of course) This was listed in Dragon mag, in an article written from the settings creator.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: [3.5] Sorcerer "Spell Known" Champion?

Some very innovate ideas here.

I'm far from an op guru, but mine would look something like:

Sorcerer 11/Sandshaper 1/Fiend Blooded 8

Feats: Bloodline feat (I think you're only allowed one), and a bunch of Extra Spell feats, along with feats reqs for the PrCs.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Some very innovate ideas here.

I'm far from an op guru, but mine would look something like:

Sorcerer 11/Sandshaper 1/Fiend Blooded 8

Feats: Bloodline feat (I think you're only allowed one), and a bunch of Extra Spell feats, along with feats reqs for the PrCs.
    Actually, you're allowed more than one Bloodline Feat, as long as they don't contradict. Can't get both Fire & Water Bloodlines, for example.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: [3.5] Sorcerer "Spell Known" Champion?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagroth View Post
    Actually, you're allowed more than one Bloodline Feat, as long as they don't contradict. Can't get both Fire & Water Bloodlines, for example.
    I checked again:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon COmpendium p.88
    A character may choose only one base bloodline feat.