New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Ménage à 3 IV: It's All Coming to a Head

Is the Kinsey scale something that's more or less SFW to google? I'm a bit afraid to.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Is the Kinsey scale something that's more or less SFW to google? I'm a bit afraid to.
    Pretty safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #123

Honestly, that scale strikes me as a useless thing, Probably brought about by a homophobe who wanted to figure out,"Just how gay ARE you?"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Not exactly, she prefers men over women, but wont just reject sex with a woman out of hand.
    If you have sex with both men and women, by definition, you are bisexual. That's what they were getting at.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Honestly, that scale strikes me as a useless thing, Probably brought about by a homophobe who wanted to figure out,"Just how gay ARE you?"
    Considering that Kinsey was bisexual, I don't think that was the intention of his scale. Rather he was basically the first person to approach sex as a study, and like many scientists tried to create quantifiable findings.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Not only was Kinsey a bisexual, but the Kinsey Reports are some of the first modern scientific studies into the field of sexuality. They're the source of the old, inaccurate notion that one in ten men is gay. He asserted and codified the ideas that 'homosexual' and 'heterosexual' were insufficient to encompass the range of human sexuality.

Whether or not the scale is actually useful is a very different matter, but Alfred Kinsey was basically about as far from what you said as it's possible to be and still be human.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2013-05-15 at 07:27 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

I'll have to agree I can't quite see how this is something a homophobe might do... Then again, without any proper knowledge on the subject, I'd say the Kinsey scale is a good basis for a person's sexual preference. I mean, just as a general idea.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

At least in this case, they are talking to each other. That's a good thing.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

9. - Top - End - #129

Ok so the homophobe thing was off, its just. . . it seems so unneeded. Its nothing more than an attempt to quantify how gay you are. "On a scale of 1 to 10 Mr. Smith, how much would you say you love wieners?" "Hmmm, not counting my own? I would say. . . a 2? I mean, I wont run away screaming if I see someone elses, but I would really rather not have to."

How hard is it to just say, "Ok, some like innies, some like outies, and others like both." Its like making up a chart to decide how blue the sky is. Its not really something that needs to be pinpointed. Its either blue or its not.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #130

Its like making up a chart to decide how blue the sky is. Its not really something that needs to be pinpointed. Its either blue or its not.
    Man, are you in for a shock!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok so the homophobe thing was off, its just. . . it seems so unneeded. Its nothing more than an attempt to quantify how gay you are. "On a scale of 1 to 10 Mr. Smith, how much would you say you love wieners?" "Hmmm, not counting my own? I would say. . . a 2? I mean, I wont run away screaming if I see someone elses, but I would really rather not have to."

How hard is it to just say, "Ok, some like innies, some like outies, and others like both." Its like making up a chart to decide how blue the sky is. Its not really something that needs to be pinpointed. Its either blue or its not.
    Well, the idea was in part to legitimate the idea that people could be gay and normal at the same time. Kinsey was the first researcher to treat homosexuality without judgment, as something other than an aberration that needed to be treated. The scale was basically there to point out that you don't have very many people at all who are purely homosexual or purely heterosexual.

Also, your sky example isn't so good, since the shade of the sky does change slightly. Also, colorblind people for whom the sky is a different color - the sky isn't blue or not-blue, but different kinds of blue or even not-blue depending on a number of factors including the viewer. Conducting a survey to plot perceptions of the sky's blueness would reveal some very interesting things, really.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Man, are you in for a shock!
    Yeah yeah, I know, but I hope you get my point right? It just seems silly to me. "On a scale from 1 to 6, how gay are you?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah yeah, I know, but I hope you get my point right? It just seems silly to me. "On a scale from 1 to 6, how gay are you?"
    No, I think it's actually relevant.

The actual fact of the matter is that not everyone is 100% straight or gay, or even 50% of each. There are more complex states, and by pointing this out, people who don't fit into the extreme points may feel more at ease.

I mean, sure, I can see where you're coming from. The actual number is of course rather arbitrary and only makes sense in context. You can't somehow measure the gayness in a person in an objective fashion. But I don't see why it'd be redundant just because it's not entirely accurate. If it helps someone's identity to be able to say "I'm about a 2-3 on the Kinsey scale", that sounds pretty good to me.

Edit: And if it doesn't help you, then you can always express your identity in some other way. Either way, it doesn't hurt to have the option.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2013-05-15 at 12:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    If you have sex with both men and women, by definition, you are bisexual. That's what they were getting at.
    I was paraphrasing for comedic effect, but this is pretty much what I was getting at.

If nothing else, it highlights some strange logic in the Ma3 universe. Apparently a woman who has sex with another woman is neither a lesbian or bisexual. God only knows which hole we peg Senna into.

....InYOURenndo!
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #135
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I was paraphrasing for comedic effect, but this is pretty much what I was getting at.

If nothing else, it highlights some strange logic in the Ma3 universe. Apparently a woman who has sex with another woman is neither a lesbian or bisexual. God only knows which hole we peg Senna into.

....InYOURenndo!
    It's actually not that strange and certainly happens a fair bit in our own society, if you think about it from reversed genders. Without getting to far into details, there are certain sexual activities that men will engage in with other men and still consider themselves straight, for such silly logic as 'Balls weren't touching', or that receiving a service is different than providing it.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

Griffon

Honestly, if anything I'd have said that it's probably the girls who have more.... let's say 'freedom' in that respect. Certainly by American/British standards at least - Kisses, for example, are always seen as more 'innocent' between girls but are almost taboo between guys.

But then, I guess what we're talking about here isn't what you'd call 'innocent'.

Still, good points, and as has been pointed out - gay, straight and bi are all just (in?)convinient labels for arbitrary points along a spectrum. Peggy can be whatever she wants, I don't think any one of us born in the internet age would begrudge her a bit of fun in any flavour
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

17. - Top - End - #137

NecromancerGuy

Considering Homophobes basically go by the one drop rule as applied to sexuality...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd probably peg myself as a 2 on the Kinsey scale. I have a strong preference for women but I wouldn't be adverse to making out with a very feminine guy either. =)

Absolutes are boring.

Coming back on topic though, it seems as though Didi is developing a crush on Peggy... Also spent a very instructive five minutes finding out what "scissoring" was on wikipedia, or tribadism to give it its proper name. Pro tip - don't do this from a work computer. =p
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2013-05-16 at 03:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I'd probably peg myself as a 2 on the Kinsey scale. I have a strong preference for women but I wouldn't be adverse to making out with a very feminine guy either. =)

Absolutes are boring.

Coming back on topic though, it seems as though Didi is developing a crush on Peggy... Also spent a very instructive five minutes finding out what "scissoring" was on wikipedia, or tribadism to give it its proper name. Pro tip - don't do this from a work computer. =p
    Meh, I guess I'm more of a 1.5. I'm not horrified by the idea of kissing a guy but I don't get any enjoyment out of it either.

I don't think it's a crush really, just some basic attraction...
    And gladly I don't need to look up what scissoring or tribadism means, I don't think googling it at work would be a good idea... though, wikipedia is probably safe enough. The name can be misleading, though.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

20. - Top - End - #140

I'm having way too much enjoyment out of today's comic for my own good

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

The funny thing about the Kinsey scale is where people put themselves. "Women are a billion times more awesoem but other guys are kind of okay too if they look a lot like women?" is a 1, while "I would not enjoy making out with another man but also wouldn't run screaming and washing my mouth out" is a 0.

It's fine to be heterosexual, really! No shame in it, it's a long and cherished tradition!

And yeah, probably not something to have in your search history at work.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    The funny thing about the Kinsey scale is where people put themselves. "Women are a billion times more awesoem but other guys are kind of okay too if they look a lot like women?" is a 1, while "I would not enjoy making out with another man but also wouldn't run screaming and washing my mouth out" is a 0.
    So I wonder where the raging homophobes go on the scale? -1?

I'd personally class myself as a 0-1 on the Scale - I have no problems with homosexuality (unless I'm trying to get into your pants or you're trying to get into mine, it doesn't matter what bits you prefer), but watching male-male stuff physically turns my stomach (even just heavy kissing) and female-female stuff doesn't really do it for me (aside from the "Oh hey, boobs!" factor).

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Ehehehe. Yeah okay, that's really cute.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

DiDi used Thigh Crush!

It's super effective!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    So I wonder where the raging homophobes go on the scale? -1?
    Most likely all over the scale. The scale measures physical attraction - not personal opinions or self-image. It's probably not a good idea to get into details and I don't have any relevant statistical, psychological or social study anyway.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    DiDi used Thigh Crush!

It's super effective!
    Well, yeah, I mean, have you seen her thighs?
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

27. - Top - End - #147

Uh, guys, I know this question may look odd, but why do you read this comic? I tried reading it some time ago, but I found more reasons in it for leaving it alone than going on with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I can only speak for myself, but:

¤ It's sexy. Duh. Kind of a guilty pleasure, I suppose.
    ¤ Despite everything, it does have an attitude towards sex that I think is commendable. It describes it as natural and unproblematic, and doesn't make a big deal out of it. Of course, sometimes it goes a bit too far in that regard, but hey, never said it was perfect.
    ¤ The art style is cute and competent.
    ¤ The writing is actually decent.
    ¤ It updates like clockwork. Really, I've yet to see it fail to meet schedule once. That's of course a moot point if it doesn't have other qualities, but it's does add to something you already like.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Uh, guys, I know this question may look odd, but why do you read this comic? I tried reading it some time ago, but I found more reasons in it for leaving it alone than going on with it.
    It's funny.

'Nough said.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    Well, yeah, I mean, have you seen her thighs?
    *Dreamy voice* yesss...?
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"