New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: IC V Against the Current

Miriam looks at the large city and the big buildings. It is the bigger place she has ever been and feels a little intimidated. She looks around, holding tighter to her quarterstaff with the rudely carved symbol of St. Cuthbert. "You can do it. This is a huge place. Plenty of good to be done here.'

She moves toward the Church building "I guess it is time for me to join the Church!" She starts giggling hysterically after saying that and notices Kurt going with her.

"Kurt, are you sure you want to join them? Without Divine powers, you might be considered second class citizen"

She takes his hand and squeezes it "This is why I hate organized religions ....."

Suddenly memories of her time at the Church before Calric rush through her mind and the pettiness of the priests and their action bring back a sour taste in her mouth. "The past is the past and cannot be changed. Learn from it!"

She forces herself to smile and squeezes the dwarf hand a little harder "I will always be there for you!"
    Last edited by achinca; 2013-05-14 at 06:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

He glances up at her and smiles a bit. "I know you will, Miriam. You might need someone to watch your back, too, though. Besides, the other guilds don't suit me at all...and your faith gives me...hope." Facing forward again, he has to pause for a moment to find the right word to explain his feelings - hope is close enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam smiles at Kurt "My faith is constantly challenged. I have seen so called "holy men" take advantage of their status. I have myself been used and abuse by a priest of my own order. I have seen evil, prayed for miracles and nothing happened. St Cuthbert and I have an understanding. He will give me some power. I will use it for good. I will not stop all evil nor will He. He will not solve all my problems and not everyone claiming his faith will be honorable. So we have a "modern" relationship. He grants me divine power. I bring justice and order when and where I can but do mostly good. I help the unfortunates and the poor while lazy fat priests lay in silk sheets covered in gold and jewels."

She looks at her well worn white robe. "This is why the Vow of Poverty works for me. I can relate to the people I want to help because I have nothing like them. And if I ever meet powerful and rich people, I remind them of the legions of people they govern or control and it might makes them a little uncomfortable. I am just a little reminder, a voice of conscience."

She stops before adding "And joining this guild is just for show. I am a free woman and a free spirit!"
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt grins at her words, nodding as well. "Yes - but if I have to be part of a guild, this one might give me a chance to do some good too. I will never match you Miriam, but I can try, I can do that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mithril raised an eyebrow at seeing Kurt walking toward the Church. Speaking to no-one in particular she mused "Never thought of him as holy but hopefully he finds a home there." With a large smile she turned to Natalia."Ready?" As she started toward the Institute she looked back at the lone figure in the middle. Walking back she laid her hand on Shiny's shoulder. "We never asked where you are going."
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Colossus in the Playground

Natalia smiles but is silent as she hears Miriam's conversation. "You're right. Free, despite brand," she says to Miriam. She remembers everything she said to Miriam, everything she needs to believe herself, fully. A third chance. "How we can, with what we can."

Still, she prays that the Institute will accept her. The rogue turns to Mithril and nods. "Ready."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-05-14 at 11:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks at Natalia and smiles, having no idea what Natalia is trying to say to her.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny scratches his chin thoughtfully as he looks around the city. "Originally, I had been planning to start my own guild: draw a smiley face on the back of my hand with charcoal and see how far it could get me. But maybe I'll first follow you to see how your plan stacks up."

Shiny then starts skipping towards the gates of the Institute guildhall.

-----------

Kurt and Miriam enter the giant cathedral of the Church guildhall, nervous of what lies inside.

If the structure looked impressive from outside, its interior is truly awe-inspiring. The detailed frescoes, stained glass windows, and vaulted ceilings rival the most impressive houses of worship they had ever seen.

At the top of the cathedral is a dome, around the circumference of which is inscribed the symbols of a vast number of deities. Miriam immediately spots the Cudgel of St. Cuthbert, along with the sigils of many other gods she recognizes, with the exception of those who embody evil. Similarly, no evil gods can be seen in the endless compendium of artwork arrayed around the cathedral.

Churchgoers mill about the cavernous space, some in worship at a variety of altars, some in silent prayer, others in discussion with members of the clergy. One man in a long, flowing robe notices the conspicuous newcomers and approaches them. Based on the holy symbol around his neck, a pentagram amulet bearing an eye on a pedestal, each of the party recognizes him as a cleric of Boccob, but he does not introduce himself that way.

"Greetings, travelers. I am Father Renyi, a priest of the Threadmyr Church. You are most welcome here, in the Cathedral of Cardonne. I notice by your lack of guildmarks that you are not residents here. Might I ask if you are pilgrims or immigrants?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Did I say I would stop self-plagiarizing? Why would I promise that?

Almost everyone is online so I wanted to keep this moving. Update on the Institute crowd coming up.
    Thanks to CoffeeIncluded for the avatar of Shiny, from the Eldgar campaign:

IC V Against the Current IC VI Stormy Seas.

Current Map

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny, Natalia and Mithril approach the Institute guildhall: a formidable sandstone castle with an open courtyard in the center and a wide gate at the front, with all the austere majesty of a university. Next to the gate stand several armored guards, the warmages of the Harnell Institute. For the first time the three notice that each of them, as well as each passerby, has a guildmark on the back of the right hand. These marks are clearly magical and beautifully distinct- each is made of a rainbow pattern that through some trick of perspective seems infinitely deep. The warmages in front of them each bar a five-pointed star as their guildmark.

Upon noticing the lack of a similar mark on each of the newcomers' hands, they brusquely give directions to a recruitment office on the right inside the gate. Upon giving their name and some details, the three of them are ushered into an office, where they find a man with attractive, youthful features and a friendly gleam in his eyes. After spending so long in the predominantly human territory of Hulburg, it takes the party a moment- and a glance at his unusually-shaped ears- to realize that the gentleman is half-elf.

"Greetings: I'm Izzik the Diviner. Please, each of you tell me about yourself and why you might be interested in joining the Harnell Institute."
    Last edited by Admiral; 2013-05-14 at 04:30 PM.

Current Map

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt jumps at the voice just a tad, too absorbed in the sheer majesty of the building they're in. He laughs nervously, then looks over at him. "Oh. Uh, we're immigrants. Arrived by teleportation circle from Hulburg. We wanted to join the Church. Which is why we're here."

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131

Natalia swallows as she's snapped out of her reverie, lost in the admiration of the Institute. She takes a deep breath and speaks slowly, lining up the words as straight as she can. "I...Natalia. Natalia Bolts. Here for the knowledge, the learning...the magic and machines."
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-05-14 at 05:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam brushes her well worn white robe before speaking.

"Miriam Sunfollower, Cleric of St. Cuthbert and swore to poverty. Like my friend Kurt, we are immigrating to your world and joining an guild dedicated to the gods make perfect sense to me."

"All that wealth and I bet people are starving all over their realm"
    Last edited by achinca; 2013-05-14 at 06:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kurt forgot to give his name, which is very Kurt. But we'll assume the cleric asks and gets an answer.

The cleric nods, smiling. "Welcome, Kurt Loderr and Miriam Sunflower, from Hulburg. We would be honored to tell you more about our guild and encourage you to consider it." He speaks with a slow and considered diplomacy.

First Father Renyi turns to Miriam. "It is an honor to meet a fellow cleric, and one who has taken the oath. I could tell you more about the guild and answer your questions, but perhaps there are others you would prefer to speak to. The Marshal of Cardonne, the chief of our justiciars, is also a servant of St. Cuthbert. Or perhaps you would like to speak to Arden, the head of our order of monks, who like you have taken the oath of poverty."

Father Renyi then turns to Kurt. "I don't know which god or gods you follow, but whichever they are, you will find yourself welcome here." He inclines his head to invite Kurt to speak.
    Last edited by Admiral; 2013-05-14 at 07:07 PM.

Current Map

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

"Kord. I worship Kord - thank you, Father Renyi. What do we do now - and what will be expected to do later, do you know? I am...not a cleric, I am more...direct in my worship." Standing almost to attention, finding strength in doing something familiar. "But surely even the church needs someone with a strong back sometimes?"

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Renyi chuckles. "The Church needs the help of all those who follow the gods. Clerics are the leaders of our order, but they are not its source of strength- the citizens are."

"If you'd like a job within the Church, you are welcome to apply after being granted citizenship. Whatever your talents- mining, construction, combat- I'm sure you would be valued. But most of the citizens of the Church need not grant that kind of service. Our followers are widespread across the continent, in every capacity you can imagine. There is no expectation except a tithe- it would be waived for you-" he nods to Miriam- "- and that you live in a way consistent with your deity's values."
    Last edited by Admiral; 2013-05-14 at 08:21 PM.

Current Map

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt nods a bit - about what he'd expected really. "And the...mark? The tattoo?"

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course," Renyi says with a nod, showing his own- a pair of long perpindicular lines.

"If you'd like to meet Halden- he's one of the local clerics of Kord- you would be welcome to, or you can stay with your friend."

Current Map

18. - Top - End - #138

"I am Mithril, seeker of knowledge like my friend here. Boccob has offered me many blessings and I seek to follow his desire to learn. She stroked Whiskers head where it poked out from under her cloak.

19. - Top - End - #139

Natalia smiles, but doesn't follow up, instead waiting for Izzik to respond. She looks around the temple again--is she the only non-mage here?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Shiny grins, and introduces himself with his usual vigor, though with less than the usual level of fabrication. "And I'm Shiny Mindmelder- enchanter and illusionist. I have a taste for arcane magic and esoteric stories, and so I hear you're the place to be."

Izzik smiles and stretches his legs out as he listens to each of the three introduce themselves. "Excellent. And what is your level of experience with magic?"

The words had hardly left his mouth before they were mixed with a burst of enthusiastic arcane chants from Shiny, and suddenly he vanishes from view. A few seconds pass, and then in the spot that Shiny had been standing appears a precise doppelganger of Izzik the interviewer, standing and scratching his chin.

"I'm sorry," says the apparition in Shiny's voice, "Did you want a demonstration?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Invisibility, five foot step back, and then Silent Silent Image.

The interviewer gives a chuckle that is more polite than amused, as though Shiny's antics were somewhat familiar or even cliched in his line of work. "If you like." He then glances at the others.

Current Map

21. - Top - End - #141

Natalia laughs a bit at Shiny's demonstration of his usual antics, though she's surprised that he actually spoke mostly truth to start. But when Izzik turns to the two girls to ask about their magical abilities, Natalia opens her mouth to speak, then stops. She just sits there with her mouth paused in an open-mouthed grin.

"..."

Spoiler
    Show
    (Just imagine the awkward open grin, the sweat-drop, the wide eyes, the whole, "...Uh, about that..." shebang.)

22. - Top - End - #142

"Ocuir Houpetor" Mithril covered her eyes and then withdrew her hands. Spotting a small figure a little behind her she turned moved Shiny back to his original spot. "He likes to have a little fun. Natalia here helps me craft many of the magical and mundane items I use often. She made this holder after I kept losing my daggers while running from orcs." Mithril pulled her sleeve up showing the sheath but leaving the weapon inside.

23. - Top - End - #143

Natalia recovers somewhat when she hears her name, and smiles in pride as she sees her work on Mithril's wrist. Realizing that she needs to demonstrate something, she shows some of her sketches and rough blueprints to Izzik.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt hesitates for a moment, then nods to himself. "I'll stay with my friend for now, thanks."

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks less than pleased at the idea of a mark. "Father Renyi, is the mark necessary? I have an issue with anyone marking my body."

She looks at Kurt. "May be this was a mistake ...."

Her discomfort is very visible.

She bites her lips before answering "I am good. I don't need to see anyone ....."

She looks at Kurt "What am I doing here? I don't want to be branded. I belong to no one ..... "
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Father Renyi bows his head, recognizing Miriam's discomfort. "I think Arden would be interested in meeting you. Perhaps you could let me show you to him? After that, if you'd like to depart, you'd be welcome to."

Current Map

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam shakes but hold on to Kurt. "You are right Father, I will let you lead us to Monk Arden."

She whispers in Kurt's ear "I do not want to be branded. I belong to no one ...."

She follows Father Renyi wherever he is leading them.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148

Natalia glances around and nervously whispers in Mithril's ear, "What if a test?" The fear of rejection mixes in with her fear of being marked, and she doesn't know which is worse.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2013-05-15 at 10:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt nods, awkwardly hugging her for a moment before he follows the priest, too. "Don't worry. A brand is just another mark, you control who you are..."

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks terrified as she walks with Kurt "But I am no mark on my body. And I grew up, we branded cattle to show who owned them. And Calric wanted to tattoo me with a C to show I was yours. I always refused. Branding means you are owned. Even our gods do not request a brand but instead have us carry symbols. I have already given all my possessions in my search for good. Must I also give my immaculate body? What else will my search for good require me to give?"

Kurt can see how hard is Miriam fighting her silent tears.
    Spoiler
    Show