New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What Am I Doing To Myself? Let's Try and Play Fire Emblem: Thracia 776!

I think the hit chance in Thracia caps at 99%, so you can probably guess.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What Am I Doing To Myself? Let's Try and Play Fire Emblem: Thracia 776!

I have updated the first post with the current character stats. Except weapon levels and some other stuff; I'll worry about those after next chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Javan View Post
    As it stands, Fergus seems to outclass everyone else. I would be half tempted to give the scroll to him, along with several others, and just make him into a superhuman destroyer. Though I don't know how well Thracia responds to doing something like that.
    Fergus partially outclasses everyone because he's the highest-level character. But also because he is doing absolutely fantastically, on the level of the individual playthrough's RNG. Dat Strength (He's not the only one, either -- Asvel and Karin are also doing nicely for themselves)
    He's doing so well it makes him really easy to use, which makes him really easy to level, and so on.
    In other words, he's caught in some sort of positive EXP feedback loop, sort of the opposite of Lara.

As for how Thracia 776 would react to that... It goes "Yeah, sure, kid. Go nuts."
    That said, there are, as CoffeeIncluded pointed out, some hard caps: 99% hit, 20 for all non-HP stats, etc. And there are some ways the game actively discourages you from just using just one or two really good characters all the time (we haven't been introduced to them yet, but they are waiting in the wings), so that positive EXP feedback loop may punish me.

There's also some neat stuff I forgot to call attention to last chapter, and I will get to that next time.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-10-10 at 12:19 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    That said, there are, as CoffeeIncluded pointed out, some hard caps: 99% hit, 20 for all non-HP stats, etc. And there are some ways the game actively discourages you from just using just one or two really good characters all the time (we haven't been introduced to them yet, but they are waiting in the wings), so that positive EXP feedback loop may punish me.

There's also some neat stuff I forgot to call attention to last chapter, and I will get to that next time.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Heh.

Now that was just cruel, how they shoved it on you with no warning whatsoever.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

As it stands, Fergus seems to outclass everyone else. I would be half tempted to give the scroll to him, along with several others, and just make him into a superhuman destroyer. Though I don't know how well Thracia responds to doing something like that.
    I vote for this.

----

Also this game has great narration, by far the best of any FE game I've come across. Thank you for doing this Deme.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, yes. I forgot to ask for voting on a key issue. So...

Emergency Voting! Knight's Proof Edition!

Having a Knight's Proof means we can promote.
    Those of you who are unfamiliar with FE may wonder what that means -- well, it means that we go from 1 level 1-20 class to a different, superior level 1-20 class, giving you stat gains and 20 more levels to grow. You can only promote after you reach or go beyond level 10 in your first class, and you need either a knight's proof or a plot event (in the case of Leaf and one or two other characters).

It's a common Fire Emblem wisdom to never promote until a character reaches level 20 in their first class, to maximize the number of levels. Thracia 776's... a little different. And that's because of caps. Your stat caps do not increase upon promotion. 20 is the highest non-HP goes, ever. Which means that some units may gain more value from promoting early, since they won't need to fill their pre-promotion caps separately.

Why do I bring this up? Asvel is nearly level 10. He could promote. And...
    That might not be a bad idea. The sage promotion, from a Mage, looks like so:
    +5 Mag, +5 Skl, +6 Spd, +4 Def, +1 Bld, +1 Mov
    He'd gain a weapon level in Fire and Thunder magic, as well as picking up a C-rank in Light and a D-rank in Staves.

For those not interested in running math, Asvel would look like so, assuming the levels leading up to his promotion were perfectly empty (unlikely, but possible, I suppose):
    27 HP, 4 Str, 13 Mag, 13 Skl, 20 Speed (Capped) 9 Luk, 5 Def, 6 Bld, 7 Mov. And he'd be able to heal, and have 20 levels left to round out his stats.

Oh, and he would be wearing pants.

Do we do it, or do we wait a while, folks?
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-10-12 at 12:30 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #126

Asvel's at 13 magic now, and he gets +5 from promotion? I say promote him once he gets 15 magic, so you start off with that capped and never have to worry about that being screwed ever again.

Or promote at 14 magic so he's one off the cap.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

His magic's at 8 now, but he's got 2 levels between himself and promotion. The numbers I listed would be his stats after promotion, assuming he got completely empty levels between now (level 8) and level 10.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-10-13 at 06:55 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    His magic's at 8 now, but he's got 2 levels between himself and promotion. The numbers I listed would be his stats after promotion, assuming he got completely empty levels between now (level 8) and level 10.
    In that case, what's his magic growth rate again? I think you should promote him between 12-13 magic. No point taunting the RNG like that.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

I agree with CoffeeIncluded, promote Asvel although I say do it when he has approximately 10 magic. This on the basis that he gains a +5 from promotion, elevating him to 15, and then he has a fair chance (he only needs a growth on 25% of his levels) of hitting the stat cap.
    His base magic growth is 35% and if we give him the Seth scroll that jumps to 45%, so I would also vote we do that.

Plus even with the potential downsides to having one ultra-character I woukd still direct my vote to loading Fergus with some of the scrolls (Hezul, Odo).
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

10. - Top - End - #130

And give the skill scroll to a healer because whoever though heal staves should miss should be teleported into the game and experience all the "fun" of that mechanic first hand.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    And give the skill scroll to a healer because whoever though heal staves should miss should be teleported into the game and experience all the "fun" of that mechanic first hand.
    Yeah , I keep forgetting about that particular aspect of the game, Odo scroll to a healer, Deme's discretion.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -A.C. Clarke

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

"As far as I can figure, a player of both Genealogy and this would not have heard of Libo before, either. I looked around the best I could and could find no mention of it. It's probably a retcon."

Forum newbie here. Joined 'cause I love Thracia 776 and wanted to say that "Libo" is a different translation of the city known as Rivough in FE4, so this one wasn't total retcon... unlike other things in this game.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, well, look at that! I didn't realize that, so that is pretty neat. Thanks for the info!

The chapter's done, I just need to sit down and pour through screenshots. I'll pack them all on my flash drive and take them with me when I go away this weekend.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-10-29 at 05:38 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Nope, it's just completely unfeasable to do these updates from the other house. *sigh*
    Well, anyway, I'm not wholly confident in my ability to fit this chapter in under 50k characters, so here's part 1!

Chapter 7, Part 1: Ultimate Arcane Power!
    Spoiler
    Show

Accompanied by several members of the Magi Group.

In short, we are still boned.

Well, let's see how we're going to get out of this one.

"What should we do?"
    "We have two choices."

Well, technically, 'die' is always a choice.

"We can either head west into the mountains to shake them off, or we can continue on southwards to Castle Meeds."
    This sounds like a long-term strategy choice, but it's actually a short-term, just dealing with how to handle the map.

Thracia, the kingdom, not Thracia, the peninsula we're on now. It's...Like, I'm never actively confused, but it feels confusing to me, if that makes any sense.
    Like, I feel the need to re-state which Thracia they mean whenever it comes up.

Leaf’s actually leaving an item or two off of the list. It's OK -- it's sort of a laundry list of badness.
    That sequence with Leaf's parents, occurring at the end of generation one of FE4, is one I will blab about to anyone in listening distance when the mood strikes me. It's really gripping and is an excellent argument for the power of powerlessness in games.

"You must understand that we are not fighting to avenge your country or family. We have stood up to liberate Northern Thracia from the Empire."

August's a big picture guy, with big picture schemes. It does help keep this story from becoming too petty, even for being an interquel, bound by its parent story on all sides.

They're only nebulously allied with the empire.
    The King of Thracia is kind of a jerk...But he's also kind of really fascinating.

"Also, General Hannibal resides in Castle Meeds. He is a respectable warrior known as the Shield of Thracia."
    He's also a playable character in 4's second half! I'm not sure I'd call a guy with his movement range in a game like FE4 'respectable,' but he's an honorable man. He's also Corple's adopted dad.

You remember Corple, right? We saved him back in Chapter 3. This will probably be relevant.

"All right, then let's head for Castle Meeds. We can go to Tahra later."

"Tahra…? I've heard that the Imperial Army has surrounded Tahra because it openly opposed them taking their children."
    I like to think he's not expositing here, because that'd be awkward, since Leaf pretty much knows this stuff. But these lines would work if he's thinking this through.

"It would be suicide to go there with our small forces."

I feel like he might be humoring Leaf here, but it’s not like we can avoid looking at this situation forever, given how much time we’ve spent on it.

We pan down across the map to the enemies!

Specifically, to this guy. Remember this guy? We had to capture him in the chapter we had to deal with Lifis, and it was kind of a big struggle.

"And if the rumors are true, that someone is a kid named Leaf, one of the last surviving heirs of Lenster."

Shiva's not getting away from us this time!

He's so much better than Makua, it's sad -- the speed's lower, but that's not accounting for 6 levels.

Or his Solar skill, which is basically most game's Sol. The description about covers it -- he'll heal for all of the damage he deals. It does a lot to help with his survivability.
    As for how we'll recruit him... Well, we'll get to that.

The map? It's a straight line down. We've got two big clusters for enemies, but we also have some treats (houses), a supply and shop, the big mansion...

And an arena! I hope to get some good use out of it.

Now, there are some reinforcements coming -- and many of them have weapons specifically against our best choices to deal with them -- and there are a few ways to handle that.

Well, for starters, I'll shuffle out inventories around, as per thread requests.
    I'll show off the big ones, but let the records show that our collective supplies look like junk drawers.

Asvel has the Knight's Proof, since he's the only one who will benefit from near use of it, and the Sety Scroll to boost his magic score.

Nanna has the Odo Scroll because it's available.

Fergus has Baldo, as well as both anti-cavalry and anti-range options. That's important. I'd have given him the Hezul scroll...
    ...But it's more important that Karin have some sort of anti-crit defense. She's doing a couple of crazy missions this time.

Oh, and while I'm at it...I forgot to mention something last chapter. Now that Leaf has August to advise him, he's going to be a slightly better leader. How do we know this?

He has a leadership star! Well, technically, August has a leadership star, but he's not a combat unit, so Leaf gets one by proxy. Good enough, right?
    I just think that is neat.

While the rest of our group is either running in the wrong direction (Asvel, Lifis) or just bunching around in confusion of throwing inventories...

Karin heads into the mountain -- there's no time for her to waste, and I'd have paid money to be able to shorten these distances.

Continuing the odd happenings, Fergus dismounts.

The brigands will stay put for now, but Shiva and the rest are heading right for us. Bad news. There's at least the fact that Shiva will always be at the rear to help us.

There's more good news, but first, we pan down to Hannibal's place.

Ah, the man the chapter's named for himself.

My world map tells me that Fiana and Ith are the only marked areas to the east, by the way. We know there are no bandits left there because we personally kicked their butts.

"They keep claiming that they are simple villagers, but from the way that they talk, I can only suspect that they're brigands of some sort. Also..."

"Yes, Sir!"

I'd give you three guesses as to this escaped knight... But we see who that is right away.

IT'S FIN! I missed you, man!

And Safy! Now we've got two healers! And a way to solve that Shiva problem!

You're getting a little ahead of yourself, honey.

Dooon't worry. It'll all work out. Hopefully, with no more than 5 resets.

I pop Fin up on his horse and trot him to some woods. He's as we left him, which is looking pretty good, actually. He makes Bryton look like a total sad-sack.

My three guys who are charging the wrong way reach their destinations, or near enough. Asvel's as good as I can get him, Fergus is defensively positioned and off his horse, Lifis is hanging around like a battlefield buzzard.

On to houses.

Nope. I'm not even sure which castle you're worried about. Manster, or Meeds?

Dang, dat bribe!

"If you ever get hit by poison, just rub this on the wound and it'll go away just like that.
    I've heard the rogues in the west use poisoned weapons. You'll be glad you took this antidote along."

Poison here is like poison in any game, really. Oh, but it can kill you. It doesn't do more than 3 HP a turn, but that's something to be aware of. If you're poisoned and brought to 3 HP, you're boned.

Ah, there's what we've been waiting for....So of course, he just walks over and starts chatting up his paladin buddy.

Redric, I have some dudes *right here.* This is how all your child prisoners and a whole bunch of armed insurgents slip out from your grasp.

Man, this map has a lot of military leaders named for other military leaders, doesn't it?
    Speaking of which, I have got to say: Fire Emblem needs war elephants. Just think about it, game designers. War Elephants.

"You must get rid of them before they reach Castle Meeds."

Basically, the only reason Thracia hasn't started something is that they're too smart to get into a fight they won't win. This is not at all the same as being someone’s allies.

"If there's anyone with a half a brain among the rebels, he would take advantage of the situation."
    "Ah, I see."
    "Anyway, if we can catch them before they reach the castle, we won't have to deal with Thracia at all."
    It's around this point that Redric's dialogue box gets sick of all this talking and decides to stage a rebellion, the words breaking free of their limited space!

[color=indigo]"And one more thing...Hannibal most likely has his armored infantry stationed around the castle. Whatever you do, don't get into a fight with them. Understood?"

Here's a shot with remnants of the glitched text in it.
    Anyway, like they were saying: if you start reaching the castle before dealing with Isenhow and his troops (we'll see them in a second), it'll be taken care of for you. I'm not exactly sure how it works mechanically, but at the very least, it allows them to provide narrative closure, if not actual relief.

Anyway, Redric scampers and a bunch of horsemen appear. They'll keep appearing until Isenhow's dead, and they come equipped with a variety of weapons, including rapiers (which could do massive damage to any mounted or armored unit, IE, most of our fighters) and javelins.

Oh, dear. I may have left Lifis too close. I wanted him to lift a rapier or two, since he can.

Well, that's something.

I have chosen...Poorly.

But not yet lethally, since there’s a miss.

Fin actually avoids being poisoned! Yippee!

And now it's time: Asvel vs Isenhow! Who will win?

It's a bit dicey at first, but...

Reinforcements: Stopped.

I bet you wish you could have lasted more than a turn.

+1 HP, +1 Mag, +1 Spd
    Ok, well. At least he's got that extra magic you guys wanted for him.

Alright! First thing's first, let's steal some rapiers. They're light enough that Lifis can take them, and I've hopefully positioned him to take minimal damage.

Fergus will help control damage -- I'm hoping to leave at least one of these guys alive in case Lifis can take another one. That's risky as heck, but I'm tempted.

Weapon ranks all around!

Well, let's see what the future has in store.

Mag +1, Spd +1
    While they're nowhere on par with the levels he's been getting, they got the job done.
    There was a good bit of debate about when to promote him, but I think 10 magic's a good number. We need to leave something for his future, after all.

And he gets his movement star, in a moment that feels like pure blessing from heaven.

And with that, we have it… Our first promotion!

MWAHAHAHAHA!
    +5 Mag, +5 Skl, +6 Spd, +4 Def, +1 Bld, +1 Mov
    The sage promotion will never, ever get old.

Look at all those weapon ranks. Just brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?

Anyway, Fin's got business to tend to, as well.

+1 MHP, +1 Luk
    ...Who would have thought. It figures.

HOLY SHOOT IS THAT MOVE? Do Have 3 freaking 9 Movement mounted types?
    I do, in fact.
    Dang, son.

Mountain dodging for the win!

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Spd, +1 Def, +1 Bld
    *sniff*
    OH LIFIS. YOU'VE GIVEN ME EVERYTHING A GIRL COULD ASK FOR.

Near miss, there.

My plan, somehow, succeeded!

And now we're done with the reinforcements.

I just noticed that these guys have hit the lower cap on their hit chances for Fin. That's pretty funny.

Karin air-lifts Safy out...

And we begin the most dangerous game (Besides man).
    I mean, of course, the "Let's use our healer to recruit the incredibly deadly swordsman" game. Fire Emblem loves it -- that's why it sounds familiar to you. Because they did it in 6. and 7. and 8. And here, of course. I can't recall any others, but I'm sure they exist. I nearly fainted with shock when Awakening just handed Lon'qu over to you, casual as anything.

I give Nanna the Sety Scroll, but I should have given Asvel his own healing staff. I'll fix this later.

Anyway, for now, we've got sword-wielders to fight.

Messing with Fin, as it turns out, is not a great idea for these guys.

I don't give these guys great odds of success with Bryton, either.

Ok, here's where things get dicey. I need to play with Shiva's range *perfectly*, or Safy's screwed. We need to get him close to Safy, but we can’t do it by moving Safy. We have to set Karin up as bait. This is why she has a scroll.
    To be honest, there aren't a lot of good places to do this from.

This is the best I can do. Let's hope this goes well.

Still, I can't just stop and let the universe hold its breath.

Now, one of these guys has a silver sword. And I want this.
    I just have to figure out how to get it, assuming I can.

Step 1: Clear my plate.

+1 Skl
    You know, I bet that level would have been empty without scrolls.
    That's... Sad.
    Penciled-in step 2: Be dissapointed.

Step 3, hope for some help from Makua.

I think I see it. I think I see the ending!

Oh, hey. Lookee there.

At this point, I get either too scared or too distracted to go through with my still unspoken plan, and decide to spend a moment with Bryton. Maybe I want to redo the least in case of reset

Taking out guys, getting levels...

+1 HP, +1 Str
    Hoping that I've used up my bad luck for the next few minutes...

With a deep breath, I decide to try my luck at it. My plan?

Send in Dashin.

...Boo. Freaking. Yah. Guess who got a silver sword, suckers?
    This person. Right here!

+1 HP, +1 Skl
    I also picked up a terrible level.

Hicks will do the swap and releasing here, and hopefully be able to take the heat. I am feeling pretty proud of myself here, no lie.

Let's get Asvel that staff...

And finish up the round.

+1 Def
    I completely used up all my level-luck, didn't I?

Not bad, not --

DANGITALL!

Stupid, stupid, criticalling-enemies!

+1 Reset
    Total: 11

Last edited by Deme; 2013-11-08 at 12:28 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #135

Oww...did you at least save state after getting the really great level ups?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Read on and find out!
    ...You'll find out in five seconds, so the answer is yes. I tend to drop a save-state before or after major events, just in case of stuff like that.

Chapter 7, Part 2: Mostly Talking and Levels
    Spoiler
    Show

Ok, let's make some new moves.
    I pick up right after Dashin's cool success.
    Luckily, this is pretty preventable. It just takes one quick fix.

There. He's safe from criticals, at the very least. It's a use of scrolls you only think of some of the time, but since I intended to defend Karin with it, it was still fresh on my mind.

And without his precious crits, that guy can't kill Hicks.
    Problem solved.

Fin even gets a second chance at that level.
    +1 HP, +1 Def
    ...Not that it changes much.

But this all goes much better.

Oh, dang. No-damage tink noises! Happening to the wrong people (That is, me).

And now...The main event. Will it be a reset? Won’t it?

Wooh! Ok, we are in the clear!

Now, let's get us a new unit!

Oh, what, just because he didn't want you hurt, he's not a bad...Eh. Actually, you've got a point.

D’aww. I guess you’re right, Safy.

That's actually a really sweet line, if a bit sudden.

It's kind of a tall order. He probably just wanted to know what sort of flowers you like.

This is all kind of cute.

Anyway, New Unit Get! We’ve talked about Shiva before, so we’ll spare it now. But he sure is a step up!

Anyway, time to try and get done with this pass.

Fin's got to try and help out Bryton, and that means crossing the mountains.

And I've got to get me a fresh Killing Edge.

Perfect clearing.

Nothing like a catch and release, accompanied by switching to the triumphant music.

Asvel's first heal.

What bad luck. This would almost never happen with True Hit.

...I think I'm just going to catch these dudes. Why not, right?

SWORDS! SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!
    IT'S SWORDMAS!

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Luk, +1 Def
    Not bad...Though you think you could have managed speed.

Oh. I forgot something about Shiva. He has a movement star.
    In layman's terms, this means Shiva has a small, but existant, chance to just wreck all of your plans and there will be nothing you can do about it.

We got lucky.
    Thracia 776, everybody!

Fun with taking unhealthily large risks!

Starring Bryton!

...Oh, how I hate you.

Two can play at that.

This is really our last obstacle.

That, and trying to get lockpicks. I'm pretty greedy.

Well, that weapon-switch made life much easier.

Farewell, 'friend.'

+1 Str
    ...Someone's being awfully minamalist here.

Man, what's a girl got to do to get more thieving goods?
    This guy just sits here, so we can pick at him at our leisure.

Let's try other things for a bit.

GOSHDARNIT JUST HAND OVER THE DAD-GUM LOCKPICKS!

Dangit, I just messed up. Bryton doesn't have a usable weapon for on-foot. This guy will catch him.

…But then nothing happens.
    I guess if you can't lift Bryton, you can't capture him, even if he can’t protest.
    HA-HA!

FINALLY! FINALLY, YOUR DANG LOCKPICKS ARE MINE.

+1 Mag, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def
    Good girl, Karin. Also, yay for getting Speed capped!

Meanwhile: Houses. It's fun to visit them.

I think I will.

"Oh, but you'll die if you lose, so don't get carried away. You must never overdo anything. If you do decide to go, then take this. I'm sure it'll be of some use."
    Standard arena stuff, really. For those unfamiliar, the arena is basically unlimited (except for in FE4) EXP – you bet money, get a fight. The units exchange blows as normal continuously until you tap out or someone dies.

Ooh, another holy water.

I'm just gonna kill this guy out of spite.

Like so.

Our last capture disposed of, there's nothing left to do but enjoy the map.

Including...The arena.

Step 1 to enjoying the arena:
    Slap scrolls on people. ALL THE SCROLLS.

Step 2, admit that you're not even going to bother counting these as proper resets, because making educated gambles in this scenario is pretty unviable. I’m not gonna game for levels, but I’m not letting anyone die, either.

Ok, that looks...doable. Maybe.

Step 3, FIGHT!

Step 4, bask in eventual victory.

Step 5, hope he is not telling you something important.

That's how you enjoy the arena; We'll look at levels and eventually see some conversations.
    Maybe some highlights, such as:

That does not look fair at all, Mr. Arena-man.

...Oh, well. That worked out pretty OK.

Staff rank up! Goody-goody!

+1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Bld
    Not bad.

I hatch a clever scheme: when a healer who is close to leveling heals him, I take some scrolls and slap them on her; I'll trade them back before the next fight.

+1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def
    Aww, defense. Aint that sweet?

In other news, it's time for some conversations.

We'll start with the father-daughter reunion.
    "Are you alright? Are you hurt?"

...I'm not sure who "that person" is. Her mom? Well, the odds of getting the chance to say something to her are...Um. Pretty slim. I mean, her exact fate is treated as pretty vague, so it could happen. One day.
    You keep dreaming that dream, Fin.
    I suppose it could be Eyvel, but I dunno.

"Your staves are useful, but you should not be up front like this."

While it sounds kind of condescending, I can't quite argue there. Well, except to note that the odds of them having this conversation when there's actual fighting is... Slim.

I got to see Solar activate -- it looks like orange sparklies. Sadly, I’m a frame early or late, here.

And we've got another conversation.

"Magi...? They're called the Magi group? "

Yeah, Fin! We underwent tragedy and saw despair and burst out of jail and we've got a plan! It was a big adventure.

"Of course. I will swear by my spear that I will never leave your side again!"
    D'awww.

"Yeah...By the way, where are the others?"
    By the way, good work on that 'getting captured the moment my back was turned' thing.

"Okay, we'll pick up the others, and go to Tahra. You must have memories of that place as well."
    "Yes, Lord Leaf."

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Mag, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def
    HOT DANG! :O
    That's pretty much a full level right there!
    You and me, Shiva, we're going to be pals.

I don't feel like Fin needs any levels (not counting Asvel, he's the highest level in our crew), so let's send him off.

Happy trails!

...A double-miss. I just got a staff double and they both missed.
    I...
    What.

+1 Hp, +1 Mag
    And a healbot level.

Shiva’s Post-Arena shot: Over the 7 levels he got since the Fin conversation one, we're looking at...
    +7 HP, +3 Str, +1 Mag, +6 Skl, + 5 Spd, +4 Luk, 3 Def, +1 Bld
    Not bad at all, though he started slowing down after a while.
    He seems to feel in his heart a deep need to tank.

He's really a big softy.

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk
    This just in: Makua's now as strong as Nanna.

Next up: Hicks.

Before.

Sometimes, Hicks is given a Silver Axe. Dunno why. I think it's because he's not terribly accurate.

Anyway, After. Just two levels for him, for reasons.
    Across those two levels, he gets: +1 Str, +1 Mag, + 1 Skil, + 2 Spd, + 1 Luk, +1 Def
    Not bad, not bad.

Bryton's next, getting just 1 level:

+1 HP, +1 Mag, +1 Skl, +1 Spd
    It's not very good.

And how about letting Leaf get a turn?

+1 Hp, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Bld
    I was going to be disappointed, but...Eh. Build.

Nanna level!
    +1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd
    *sigh*

Pop Quiz: How crazy am I?

Armor knight in the arena crazy. That's how crazy.

+1 HP, +1 Mag, +1 Skl, +1 Bld
    Eh. Magic’s about all he needs he stands a chance of getting.

Well, he survived...Mostly.
    2 Levels: +1 Str, +1 Mag, +2 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def, +1 Bld
    Not great. Not great *at all*.

Makua's next.
    It's worth noticing that, when determining opponents, this arena seems to understand FE combat pretty well: Dashin nearly always had a silver weapon when his opponents had iron, because they understood that Dashin's inability to hit or dodge a lot of attacks didn't really compensate for his high defense -- in a lot of other FE arenas, putting in armored units is just hanging a "please send silver weapons at me" sign.
    Makua, meanwhile, seems set to iron and her opponents to silver, same as with Shiva. This worked out great for Shiva, but not so hot for Makua, due to her overwhelming supplies of WHY DO YOU NOT GET STRENGTH?
    It's still a rough arena, but it's interesting to see.

+1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Luk
    Some days, Nanna, I just want to chuck you off of things.

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Mag, +1 Skl, +1 Spd
    That's a girl, Safy. You show her (could you lend that strength to Makua, maybe? That'd be great.)

Makua's after.
    Over 3 Levels: +1 Mag, +3 Skl, + 3 Spd, +1 Luk, + 2 Def
    Most of her stats are fine...
    But that lack of strength is so bad I just want to curl up and cry.

Karin's next.

+1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd
    Somehow, I feel cursed to see this level.

I also feel like there's some sort of heal-off going on here.
    +1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Mag, +1 Skl, +1 Spd
    Safy's doing better.

Karin's after.
    After 3 Levels: 3 Str, 3 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk
    Karin's stats are slightly higher than they appear...Sort of. It confused me for a few seconds, but let me dismount her and I'll show you.

See? Even though she's taken penalties to her speed, it's still 20. This is just a quirk of the system, but mounted units are able to gain in stats they've capped while mounted, until they cap while dismounted. It's neat.

Then I figure, eh, may as well give Lifis a try. I'm not aiming for a high rank, anyways.

Nanna gets a staff rank! Yay.

We spot a new class while in the arena! It's a dancer.
    Dancers in this game wield swords, but not terribly well.

3 Levels: +3 HP, +2 Str, +3 Skl, + 2 Spd, +1 Bld
    Lifis's before and after. He got more build! Isn't that just great?

I consider trying Lara...But let's be honest: she wouldn't last a round.

Our funds.

Our final new escape line!
    We are finally done!
    Finally.

"However, we were rescued by the rebels there, and escaped."
    This right here is a pretty decent story -- all technically true, but lacking certain key elements.

I did some digging around about Leaf’s assumed name here: ‘Faris’ is a part of his full name, according to unused sources, though which part is hard to say. The first name’s a mythology ref: Lugh was an irish god, which would keep with the Irish theme you see in the names of Lenster residents, and his parents were Cian (pronounced with a hard C, of course) and Ethniu, sometimes spelled Ethlinn (amongst other spellings). So… Yeah, it’s clear where they’re going with this.

"Thank you. Then will you release my allies?"

Wooh! Thanks, Hannibal! You're a bro.

Havan! ...Good job blowing our cover by saying who we are loudly. I'm assuming it's loudly. He just hardly seems quiet.

Othin! Othin's accompanying censor boxes! Oh, I've missed you! (by the way, we kind of owe them some favors for setting you free, so could you not…? Thanks)

Darn right you weren't! Go sit next to Makua in the corner!

"Oh, and one more thing..."
    Yes, Uncle?

Oh, man, we get a dude! Your plan was great, August! He loans us a guy and we will never let him go. Carrion's a cool dude, if a little...Well, you'll see next time.

Leaf, what's rule number #1? Never. Turn down. A unit. I mean, we took in Marty.
    ...Speaking of which, we seem to be short a few reformed bandits...

Now, because we rescued Corple waaaay back when, we get a scene here.

Corple may be underselling it here: that thing is just stunningly awesome! Staves in this game are super-powerful and super-fun, so we need to get those ranks up like it aint no thing!
    Thanks a ton, Corple! Make sure you get captured in eh, maybe a little less than a year or some-such, and then when we rescue you again pretend like this never happened. It'd suck to be a part of a major time paradox!

Except for the part where he will, because of narrative information flow.
    I actually was considering a narrative LP of 4 from a historical perspective, and would point out incongruencies like this and attribute it to conflicting documentations. I planned to refer to stuff that comes from Thracia 776, in terms of information and scenes like this, as coming from "The Thracian Documents." It was a neat idea, but I decided 4's incesty narrative wouldn't work here.

Next time: The Game shows a new face of hate.

Character Growths and Stuff
    Shiva
    Spoiler
    Show

HP: 70%
    Str: 45%
    Mag: 5%
    Skl: 50%
    Spd: 35%
    Luk: 60%
    Def: 30%
    Bld: 20%
    Mov: 2%
    PCC: 4

So. As you can see, Shiva is pretty great. Just great. He's a little odd for a Myrm, in that his strength growth is higher than his speed and ... But look at his bases, and you realize that Shiva's actually set up to get flawless speed and then, you know. Other stats, too. Unlike someone. Makua.
    *cough* Anyway, with that strength growth and a beautiful 4 PCC, he's capable of being an offensive powerhouse, and between his not-bad defensive growths, dodging, and Solar (which I said incorrectly heals for half of the damage dealt -- it actually heals Shiva for all of it, and I've fixed that), he's rather survivable for his type.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-11-08 at 12:29 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 8: In Which I Forget an Amusing Subtitle
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, yeah! Them! We still need to collect them.
    NO ONE ESCAPES LEAF'S ARMY, NOBODY!

Anyway, we've got a lot of new stuff to cover this chapter, starting with...

The prep screen!
    Yes, at long, long last, dear readers, we have arrived at the point where we can actually do things like pick who we want to bring to a map and re-arrange inventories at our whismy!

Things we cannot do: choose where our units are placed. The game hates you too much for that, and will instead plop your units onto the map according to its wishes, regardless of what you intend. Sometimes it will even split them into groups, and you have no power over who's in what group. Because hate.
    But let's not let that bring us down!

Here, we can look over the map -- Oh, please forgive the rather lackluster stitch-job -- I had some troubles getting things more precise. The boss isn't out yet... And it looks like a light chapter.
    Because it is a light chapter. Yeah, you heard me. They tossed you a soft-ball; the only danger the enemies pose is that they all have poison weapons.

Oh, here's a mini-map! Keen!

Now, before you think the game's being merciful, there's something I should show you. Let's go check out another of our wonderful new functions, 'Pick.'
    This lets us pick units.

Leaf's our only mandatory deployment here; he always is. Now... I admit, I have no idea what that text up there is about.
    If I had to guess, I'd assume they're minimum units/current units/maximum units to deploy this map. As you can see, it's a small load, with only 8.
    Let's get to picking units, shall we?

Now, obviously, we want Fergus along because Fergus is rad, right?

Except there's that white text there. And I can't select him. Huh.
    We appear to have a new mechanic.

Introducing one of the things Thracia 776 brought forth that was then forever forgotten (and this time, I say, though perhaps slightly wistfully, good riddance), Fatigue!

You see, every time a character takes an action (on your turn, I think) of any real importance -- fighting, healing, dancing, stealing, using staves... I don't know about items... They get a point of fatigue. When they have more fatigue at the start of a chapter than they have maximum HP, they're Fatigued, like Fergus here, and can't be deployed.
    There are ways around this, of course, but we'll get to them later.

When a character sits out a map, their fatigue goes back to 0, whatever it was.
    Like many of Thracia 776's ideas, there's a seed of something neat in this one: it encourages you to use the character roster to its fullest, pacing units out and having multiple characters raised up to fulfill similar goals. It's something the series has a bit of trouble with normally, honestly.

Like many of Thracia 776's ideas, it's designed with spite for you. It also encourages you to use a guide or be freaking psychic, because how else will you avoid screwing yourself over by fatiguing a unit for a chapter you'll need them on?

A reasonable game, not throbbing with white-hot hate, would have started you with a clean slate and explained the idea now, when you have control over who you use. Everyone would start at 0.
    We're not in that game, and as such, our only usable units are our also-rans and the guys we just got back. Everyone else is plumb tuckered.

As such, this is our crew. I could bring Shiva in place of someone useless like Lara or Ronan, but all our arena-grinding left him close to his limit, and to be honest, I'd rather have him next map than this one, particularly since you'll be able to vote next map.

I could have had a healer if I hadn’t have had heal-off last map… But we can take it, and heal-off was way more productive.

Now, I'm off to re-arrange inventories accordingly. I'll be back when...
    When...
    ...Oh, just look at this.

Ah-hah-hah-hah....*weeps*

Among the inventory's features are the ability to buy basic weapons and sell things, as well as access our storage and discard items.
    We can't use items from this screen, but this sure makes distributing scrolls more easy.

Anyway, I actually have plans for most of the scrolls, but I'll give Odo to Othin and Baldo to Leaf.

Let's begin, shall we?

Yeah, the title card told us that.
    (images)

"Rumors about your survival have spread out all over the peninsula. People are counting on you to stand up and unite those fighting against the empire."
    Man, we can't fool anybody.

"...I was born into a Lenster knight's family. My father died in battle, but my mother and I were rescued by General Hannibal."

Leeeaaaaf. I mean, yes, you're right in a vacuum. But we're going to do it anyway, and we want Carrion along for the ride!
    Also, he's sort of one of ours by blood, so. Feudal system, go!

He has a castle, Leaf, and you're surprised he has a mansion?

Wow, that's pretty nice of a guy.

"The Count...He's alive...?"

"They seem to be attacking a nearby village. What do you want to do?"

"Help them, of course. You'll fight with us, right, Carrion?"
    "Of course, Lord Leaf. It's strange, though..."

Did more of our allies get in trouble while we were captured? Oh, man! We can't leave them anywhere!

And with that, Carrion joins our party!

He's a social knight, and therefore gets swords and lances on horseback, swords on foot.
    One movement star, no skills. His bases are solid for his level, and he's got a lot of growing room. Oh, and a PCC of 4. This calls for evil grinning.
    Carrion's a good unit when you raise him up -- And he gets something to help him with that later.

I get him loaded up as best I can and decide now's the time to look at some other stuff this map.

...Like Marty, apparently.

Our Marty.
    Get back to this side this instant, man of ambiguous age!
    We need Othin or Havan to talk to him to get him back, so that's thing #1 to think about.

Thing #2 to think about... Is our boss.

He's a dismounted dragon knight, which means that when he mounts back up, he'll be using those stronger weapons and have better stats.
    Also, when he mounts back up, we'll be unable to capture him for that Knight's Proof, and we'll lose out on a gaiden chapter. We've got 16 turns to do it, so Fin, don't fail us now!

Let's hear more about him, shall we?

Well, that was succinct. But yeah, there's a gaiden dealing with the mansion if we hurry.

First action of the map, and it's misses all over.

Aaaah. I've missed that.

+1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Luk, +1 Def
    Not bad, man! Welcome back!

WOO-HOO! WE'RE GONNA SPEED THE HECK THROUGH THIS PLACE!

Ooh, poisoned. Not good.

I'd like to try to feed as many kills to our stragglers as possible, so let's open by weakening. Capturing is also pretty good for that.

Not as weak as I'd have liked, really.

Ronan'll help...

And Havan'll knock the other guy around...

And Lara will deal damage! How exciting.

And yet not get a level. Possibly due to hating me.

Eh, may as well.

Bah.

But hey, an archer's attack will give Lara a level!

+ Mgc, +1 Spd, +1 Luk
    And it will contain nothing that will even remotely help make her usable.

I tried sending Ronan to help, but... A totally useless archerfight ensued.

+1 HP, +1 Mgc, +1 Skl, +1 Spd
    Followed by a pretty useless level.

Well, Dashin, what about you?

Good boy.

And Carrion goes for the kill.

+1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Def
    Not bad, not bad.

Fin, racing forward, rushes right past Marty's movement range, and tries for this guy.

Oooof Course.

Got a rank out of it, at least.

Othin's new range makes him perfect for handling Marty.

Hey, dude, sup?

I mean, the fact that you're a human potato isn't something a person can hide.

Marty, I remind you what happens... To guys who go against Othin.

Wow, he actually went where I was implying. I knew there was a reason you're one of my top 5 Fighters/Berserkers in all of Fire Emblems. (Points to anyone who can guess the other 4.)

Good call, man. That's the call a man who gets to live makes.

"Are you with us? Or against us?!"

Marty, that's pathetic. Welcome back, man.

You know Ronan's actually good at weakening guys. Because he's useless at killing them.

*sweats* Now, one more point of damage, and he'd be doomed. As it stands, he'll barely be able to cure himself next turn. I brought our antidote.

I have Leaf and Hicks working on the top of the map.

Welp, now basically everyone's poisoned.

Ronan'll just drop by this shop.

Ok, we'll pick up an antidote and a vulnerary, for the sake of preventing emergencies.

We have one thing Lara can steal this chapter. Yay for her.

Let's have Havan wear him down a bit... Or we would if that worked...

So Othin can do Othin things.

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Luk
    I'd be dissapointed, but it's got strength, and Othin's behind on his luck. Fair enough.

Heal up.

And have Hicks take out this guy totally accidentally.

Oh, hey, a reinforcement. It’s just not a Thracia 776 map without one.

Carrion'll wait for this guy to come find him.

Yep! We're the good guys!

"Here, take this medal as a token of our gratitude."

Coolbeans.

Fin begins working on our boss here...

Though he doesn’t do great damage, and has to backtrack, since we don't want the boss dying when I’m not able to hold Fin back.

Carrion gets a crit!

+1 HP, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Def
    Not bad, not bad. Could use strength.

Sword rank, excellent.

I'll buy a hand axe and a steel axe, since we've got some axe users.

Dashin damages one of these guys...

And Othin start wearing down the boss, with a handy crit.

So, with another crit, Fin can catch him. Gaiden: achieved.

+1 Luk, +1 Def
    That's not lucky. At all.

Anyway, this is a seize chapter, so we've got room to handle the rest.

Ow. We're cutting things kind of close.

So we heal up...

And start on the last man standing.

Oh, right. We need to take the boss’s stuff. Fin already took the rest.

Hicks misses. Thanks, Hicks. Thaaanks.

Well, let's keep Carrion trying.

Oh, PCC. You and I are best buddies.

For a minute, I thought he was newly-married or something, but nope. Just luck charms of dubious qualities.

But now we have our own dubious good-luck charm! But we know how to use it.

There. Now we're done here.

You've got a weird face, too.

Obviously, we wouldn't be getting this scene if he were dead. Oh, and he does have a wife and kids, Leaf’s right – he’ll mention them if you either release him before the end of the chapter (which I don’t think lets you get to the gaiden) or if you kill him. Leaf just has the power to sense humanized villains, or maybe he assumes that any of these enemies, and any of these commanders, have families and loved ones, and lives he very often will have to cut short – but not this time.
    …In this game, I feel like that wouldn’t be a bad assumption.

The game doesn't set up which mansion is which very well, does it?

"Alright, thanks. August, release this man, dragon and all."
    On a scale of bad ideas, this ranks about 4/10, but hey. We're the good guys. Besides, it’s not like we’ve been any good at hiding who we are or why we’re roaming about, so what’s one more person who knows?
    "...Yes."

Well, anyway....

Next up: Gaiden!
    But first…THE VOTE!

Carrion's Growths
    Spoiler
    Show

HP: 70%
    Str: 40%
    Mag: 10%
    Skl: 65%
    Spd: 45%
    Luk: 55%
    Def: 25%
    Bld 25%
    Mov: 1%
    PCC: 4

If his level seems low for this phase of the game...Well, he'll get some help with that shortly. Anyway, Carrion's just... really solid. Solid bases, solid growths, good growing room, high PCC, he can use swords on horseback, so you can get him some ranks so he's not helpless when off his horse...
    Carrion's just all-around good.

I'll get the voting up in my next post, probably later today, since I have a bunch of stuff I want to talk about there.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-12-05 at 12:01 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

18. - Top - End - #138

You're gonna go fun places with Carion.

I wonder how it's pronounced though. Is it pronounced like "carry on" or "cah-rye-on?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Since at random times it's spellt like the word for a rotting carcass, I pronounce it the same way "Ker-ee-un."

Anyway, Voting Time!
    Yes, the time has come for you to decide who's coming with us next map!

Our gaiden's an indoor map, and it's also a fog-of-war map, so keep that in mind!
    Leaf's mandatory, and I'm force-deploying Lifis. Normally, I'd let you vote for a thief, but Lara's fatigued, so it's just Lifis.

This leaves us with 4 more characters to choose from, so assemble a list of 4!
    ...With a few restrictions.
    I'm going to need a healer, and I'm going to need a beast. You know, someone who's very good at solving problems for me, provided those problems are "enemies are alive, I don't want them to be." Someone like Fergus, Othin, Shiva, or Asvel. Shiva's not really gotten a chance to establish himself as a big problem-solver like the other 3, but I have faith.

The 4 characters that get the most votes win... But if no one from those categories wins, then I will force the highest-voted one in. Of course, you can select multiple characters from either category.

Oh, and one more thing: we'll be needing Carion to be in good shape next map. You can still vote him in, but I won't be using him with reckless abandon, and if it looks like he can't manage that, I'll be resetting with a different character in his place, so keep that in mind.

Character stats can be found in a post linked in the OP, but for quick reference, here's a list of available characters:
    Pick 4 from:
    Fin, Othin, Havan, Ronin, Dashin, Hicks, Safy, Fergus, Karin, Asvel, Bryton, Makua, Nanna, Shiva, Carion, Marty

You can indicate who you'd like scrolls on, if you want.

And a list of everyone's fatigue status:
    Fatigue List:
    Spoiler
    Show

Fin: 20/33
    Othin: 5/34
    Havan: 4/35
    Ronan: 3/21
    Lara: Fatigued
    Hicks: 21/34
    Carrion: 8/26

Voting, Part 2: The Stuffening

So, we've collected stuff, and I promised we'd get a chance to spread some around once we had the ability to choose a team. To avoid needless hoarding. You can, of course, vote to keep the item for later -- to avoid needless spending. Basically, for each item, select a character or Storage to determine the item's immediate fate.

Our Inventory:
    Luck Ring
    Life Ring x2
    Speed Ring
    Magic Ring
    Shield Ring
    Skill Ring
    Elite Manual

Notes: I'd warn against giving the Elite Manual to Carion, even though he seems the perfect fit; you'll see why later. I'd strongly recommend storing it. I don't have particular feeling about the rest -- in my head, we're still too early to really say who we'll get use out of enough to merit stat-ups, but I believe I did promise this. So here we are.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-12-05 at 02:22 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #140

Could you provide a lists of stats? Right now, I'd say Shiva, Asvel, Nanna, and whomever has potential and needs experience and won't be screwed on this map.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Could you provide a lists of stats? Right now, I'd say Shiva, Asvel, Nanna, and whomever has potential and needs experience and won't be screwed on this map.
    There's a link to the list of character stats in the OP. It used to be in the OP, but then I updated it and found it made the OP too long. So... Now it's in my post o' indexes, linked in the OP. I just got done updating it.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-12-05 at 02:21 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fergus, Asvel, Nanna
    Do we have any mounted archers yet? I don't think so but can't remember. I like archers, yet as you have said before, the game dislikes them especially when on foot.

All items storage. I am an item scrooge.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Fergus, Asvel, Nanna
    Do we have any mounted archers yet? I don't think so but can't remember. I like archers, yet as you have said before, the game dislikes them especially when on foot.
    We do not. I get really sad about the Archer problem, because I'm sure it could be solved or ameliorated by a little love...So I like your ranger/nomad trooper/whatever types, who get bows and swords and ponies. I love anything on a mount.
    Last edited by Deme; 2013-12-05 at 02:40 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

I apologize for the lack of updates for a considerable while: I'm getting back to this, just bumping so I'll be able to find it again when I've got a post ready.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 8x: In Which I take a 2-month break in the middle of a chapter
    Spoiler
    Show

With two incomplete sets of votes (*sigh*), this is our set-up. Everyone's got a scroll, and we're being scrooge-y with our stuff. Good to know.

Everyone's got a scroll, we're good to go.

We join our story during a conversation...

Between father and daughter.

…Riiiight.
    Let's just move on.

Oh, come on!

”I’m sick of this ****! What the *heck* are we accomplishing working this worthless piece of land?”

Gomes, making me get out the censoring tools is Othin's job. I try and keep from getting too swear-y by allowing only 1 unmodified swear a chapter, and you’ve gone and used it! And made me edit things! You stop that, or you'll have to pay.

Excellent plan, Dagda. I mean, except for the bit where, as far as you know, it's just you and your teenage daughter. Your teenage daughter who can only attack two squares away. That daughter.
    Her.
    And you.

Luckily, we'll be along to bail you out shortly.

Tanya and Dagda are as we left them -- I should have left a spare bow with them, but we'll get by.

I send Leaf to guard from the rear, and Lifis out that way to scout.

I lose my screenshots, but I have Lifis attack this guy while looking for a door. There isn't one, but luckily, he takes no damage, and he gets a movement star so I can just have him jump on back. Go us!

That would have been great, had he hit the second time. *sigh* Oh, well.

...Well. That's...Fortuitous.

What a special opportunity.

Dagda and Tanya will wait where it might be safe. I don't trust the darkness.

Told you. For Dagda, battle is like Pringles. Once he pops, he just can't stop.

Shootshooshootshootshoot!

*heartfelt sigh of relief*

Dang it.

I should have put her in a corner.

I'm not going to keep showing you screenshots of Dagda fighting. But it happens.

As do these fights.

In the darkness, a door opens. Somewhere.

Now, this situation is...Pretty bad. I'll need to think of a very clever way to get Tanya out of this alive. I don’t have a clever way, so let’s just try what there is.

Get rid of one guy...

Heal up and pray.

Let's clear a path...

Get a crit.

Not kill a guy...

Not have to reset! Yet!

Ooh, surprise hammer!
    "You wanted to bring Dashin? Well, screw you!" Says the game.

Nanna gets a kill...

And Dagda comes through for his little girl.

He *really* comes through for her. Dagda, you're being a really good dad right now.

Safe!...Or, safer.

Well, this could be interesting.

Ow.

Oh, come on!
    Well, she at least got a level.

+1 HP, +1 Spd, +1 Luk
    *sigh*

This is going to get dicey.

Oh, poison. My favorite.

Eep...

+1 Spd
    That's just shameful.

This will go badly.

Level for Asvel!

+1 HP, +1 Skl
    He keeps trying to get Speed. Asvel, you can't, honey. No more speed. None. Never again with the speed.

...My goodness, I'm getting lucky with move.

Ooh, so close.

Eeep...

I know we're playing it mighty risky: I know. But I can't just sit here, either.

Anything after Dagda and Tanya will have to play with Shiva, first!

I put some scrolls on Nanna and...

Get her a level.

+1 Skl
    CURSES, FOILED AGAIN!

Door's opened. I should open that upper door, but for some reason, do not. I think I thought there was nothing there, and was corrected - Future Deme

Shiva's having fun!

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Skl, +1 Bld
    Ooh, nice. Good boy, Shiva.

Thank goodness for distractable AI. As long as Dagda's just standing there without a ranged attack, this guy will focus on him, not Tanya.

And with that, the pair is...Mostly saved. Mostly. Ish.

There. The level of Saved is going up dramatically.

Now, Shiva, save some for the rest of the class.

Fergus got a level dodging hand axes.

+1 Skl, +1 Bld
    Not his best.

Leaf helps his girl get another kill.

Killing things with Nanna is pretty fun.

Let’s start getting loot!

Ah, a hammer… Not the most exciting start to the looting.

...I will just kill whomever decided to put 'wait' above 'staff.' Murder.

Here's the boss; he's got lockpicks, so if he doesn't move, I might keep him alive until I can run Lifis by him. For lockpicks. And stuff.
    Also, I don’t think of it at the time, but this guy is actually pretty formidable. Here, I didn’t even bother to look at his stats.
    …I wish I’d thought of that at the time. – Future Deme

The Leaf watchman gets some battle.

As does Shiva. For a level!

+1 HP, +1 Str, +1 Skl, There might have been more, it just leaves off here for some reason in my notes.

And the Neir scroll! Neir is the axe-weilding crusader, and his descendants are largely irrelevant to this game. But his scroll is not! It offers +10% to HP, Strength, Defense, and Build, in exchange for -10 to Skill. Pair that with the Odo scroll, and you get all the benefits and none of the drawbacks, basically, so yay!

Leaf gets a kill! Good for him.

Lots of archers, lots of missing. Fact: I forgot to research this map, and assumed indoor map = armors, and packed some anti-armor stuff.
    What I'm saying is, I'm stupid. No harm over-preparing, but if I do it again, I'll probably suffer for it.

Sooo....It's been a while since I wrote all the stuff above. Luckily, I have that whole thing to tell me what I've been doing!
    Anyway, we've got some conversations this chapter! One between Tanya and Othin, who I forgot to bring, and one between Dagda and Leaf. I'll put the one I can't get in its own little segment, because that's what I feel like doing and you can't stop me. I am an arbitrary mistress.

(images)

"Eyvel... She's in Manster. We... couldn't save her..."

...I'd say we're hopefully now out of people who'll ask us this, but... Mareeta. She'll be the worst.
    "What! What were you doing in there!?"
    Being held prisoner, remember? Also, daring escapes and meeting ~*Sety*~

"If only I were stronger... If only I had more power...!"
    "...It's all right. Stop blaming yourself."

"But..."
    "I'm sorry I shouted, I wasn't expecting such news. But you're a tough one... Forgive me, I was a little harsh."
    ”Dagda…”
    ”Don't worry, I'll help you out from now on. I may not be as strong as Eyvel, but I'm still tougher than those youngsters.”
    Let me check the numbers and get back to you.
    "We'll go back and save Eyvel together!"
    Alright. But you'll be on the bench.

Let's work on taking out this guy...

As poor a decision as that turned out to be, at least we have got a level.

+1 HP, +1 Spd
    ...I shouldn't have come back for this.

Alright! We've got a movement star working, let's see if we can't manage a nice snatch-and-grab on those lock picks!

Ka-snag!

Now we'll lift via Dagda and...

Well, that simplifies things magnificently!

Time to ADHD things up a bit, first...

And we'll put him down, safe-and-sound, outside the bosses' chamber.
    That seriously could not have gone better, even in the best of possible worlds.

Ok, so, confession time, here. My game froze while I was playing, losing an attempt... And I decided not to present that aborted attempt, and the failed attempt before that. It's just going to waste time.
    My last save-state picks up here, so we start here. The only thing you missed was...
    Reset Counter +1
    Total: 12

From Leaf getting his dumb self killed by the boss.

But before we get back to the boss, have an archer fight or two.

And some idiots hating life so much they have to go fight Asvel.

Also, a Nanna level:

+1 Skl, +1 Spd
    Of dubious -- at best -- quality.
    I had a better one pre-crash. *grumble*

But enough goofing around. It's boss time!

When in doubt, Asvel.
    "You think you stand a chance against Gomes the incincible?"
    ...Actually, no. Gomes is honestly pretty scary, with high defense, speed, and strength that makes him pretty formidable.

Well.
    fudge.

Maybe...?

...Well, fudge again.

Ok, let's see. How can I salvage this? How can I salvage...
    Plan A: Leave them there, bait him into attacking Asvel, hope Asvel hits, move in, FINISH HIM!
    Plan B: Move in Dagda, equip bow at short range, hope idiot takes bait. Try again next turn.

Plan A, or Plan B? Plan A, Plan B...
    Let me go check my odds.

They're not good, but Plan A gives me a shot at victory. No matter how small, I'll take it!
    If I'd healed Asvel, he'd stand a chance of surviving *An* arrow, so that's a thing to remember.

Oh, and Tanya gets a level while I'm waiting to hear my fate.

+1 Mgc, +1 Skl, +1 Spd, +1 Def
    Well, I'd have loved strength or build, but that's not bad.

Oh, hey. There are still dudes left.

Now, c'mon, c'mon...

WOOOOH! PLAN A!

Darnit. I got him all scrolled up and everything, too.

Let me tell you how much I've come to HATE this guy since I began to play.

Hate, hate, hate.
    I hate ALL THE THINGS.

Asvel? Put me out of my misery, si vout plais.

"... I had to... We'd all starve otherwise..."
    Well, you can’t get much simpler than that. But I’m not sure you wouldn’t have starved either way.

+1 Skl, +...YOU CAPPED SPEED, ASVEL, STOP GETTING MORE!
    I do not even care anymore.

+1 Skl, +1 Spd
    Nope. Still don't care.

I am apparently just the maximum level of done right now. Who knew?
    Not frustrated. Not tired. Just done.

Done.

All my pleasure is now hollow.

Maybe catching a dude will make me feel less like I should just walk away and play Sweet Fuse: At Your Side some more.

It's a pretty fun little VN.

AAAAAND I'm done being done.
    For long-standing players of FE, I want you to try and work out, knowing that all Thracia 776 stat-boosters are Rings, what the Leg Ring might be.
    ...Have you guessed the answer? Do you feel the thrill of this moment, washing over you? Last chance.
    WE JUST GOT THE BOOTS!

For those unaware, the Leg Ring permanently boosts a unit's movement range by 2. While perhaps less amazing in a game where move can go up in other ways, it's still a phenomenal boost.
    And this is the only one in the game. Leg Ring, right here.

Oh, the guy we caught? Not really worth it.

Anyway, let's round up more treasure!

Ooooooh yes.
    the Wrath manual is a one-use item that gives a unit the Wrath skill.
    If there's ever some overwhelming idea of who to give it to, go ahead, or we can vote on it later.

I like him. He's silly.
    Where is he even on this map?

The devil axe. It's certainly an odd weapon, having a massive might in exchange for having a chance of turning on the wielder and doing all that damage to them. It's based on luck, but it's likely more trouble than it’s worth.

And, last and certainly least, a holy water. I knew I shouldn't have passed this door up.

...Well, it's been a long time coming, but let's call today a day.

So unworkable, miserable land is basically all they know, in an ancestral sort of way as well as a personal one.

"They were abandoned as children and had no choice but to grow up to be bandits. They wouldn't have been able to survive otherwise."
    ...This game's pretty depressing.

"Where did your food come from when you were running from the Empire?"

I'd hardly say Leaf's led a charmed life, but that his problems are a distinct set of problems from those of the people around him, and like most young people -- perhaps most people -- he's just barely starting to think about problems outside of his own.
    But that's what becoming a leader means he's got to do. It's not enough to bear his own dangers and troubles.

"Southern Thracia is covered with steep mountains. The soil is dry, and the climate is harsh. The farmers work day and night, but still they aren't able to feed themselves. Either they all starve, or they sacrifice a few to let the others survive. This is the truth, Lord Leaf."
    But hey, we've got August to help us out.

"Can't they just import food from other countries?"

"But the situation continues to this day because the north and south don't try to understand each other. Also, Northern Thracian nobles are known to be especially greedy."
    In short: It's a mess. And this mess is part of why Leaf's parents died painful deaths in the burning desert.

That whole statement isn't a bad summary of Southern Thracia (except the "empire" bit), hence why they're the most interesting bad guys in this duology. In a series known for its “Because I’m evil” villainous factions, Southern Thracia has a solid, realistic reason for wanting to conquer and cause trouble. They don’t need an evil dragon to be reincarnated in their imperial prince to do terrible, terrible things.

"People can become both wise and foolish depending on their leader. Lord Leaf, you have much to learn to be able to lead your country to a bright future."
    You better shape up! Because Thracia needs a man, and its heart is set on you!
    You better shape up! You better understand!
    ...Wait, where was I going with this, and why did I start?
    ...I'll show myself out.

"You must not make the same mistake as your father..."

Bonus Features: Conversations We Missed (I'll try to avoid having this happen again)
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's that conversation between Othin and Tanya, as it appears in Serenes Forest's script collection.

Othin:
    "Tanya! You're okay! You idiot, you had me worried."

Tanya:
    "What do you mean, idiot! I never asked you to worry yourself over me, anyway!"

Othin:
    "You know, why can't you just say thanks? If we had come a little later..."

Tanya:
    "What do you mean! You're the one picking the fight! ...You could also be a little...kinder..."

Othin:
    "W-Whoa! D-Don't cry! Um, so... I'm glad you're okay. Yeah..."

...Aw, that's kind of cute for being subtle as a hammer. Good on the writers for remembering that characters outside the essential cast exist.
    Last edited by Deme; 2014-02-08 at 10:10 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Update! Though your motivation didn't seem to last for the entire chapter /worrisome/ I am quite enjoying this.
    Long update, long gap, fun nonetheless.

Incomplete vote, what? ... Oh... Fourth, Shiva I guess, I was planning on voting for someone else..
    For the bully boy I think Asvel...

Sweet Fuse? No, pardon me, I am off back to Bravely Default thank you.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

bully boy? Uhh....

Anyway, don't worry too much about it. This is a game that tries men's souls.
    Anyway, let's get to talking about voting for the next chapter!

Spoiler
    Show

Right, OK, so. Map!

The stitch job's rubbish, but...Moving on.

We're starting in the upper-right corner. We'll be getting some new units -- don't count on them, they're mostly rubbish -- that'll start in the upper-left. The mansion with the arrow is an odd case: this mission is partially defense, partially escape. If the enemy reaches that square, we lose, so defending it against the rushing army to the South is vital. However, all of our units must reach that square for a total victory.

The map's also got a shop, an armory (I think), a few villages, and... AN ARENA!

Our boss hasn't appeared yet, but he's a Dragon Knight, which is a promoted form of...

These guys, complete with killer weapon. Very dangerous... But vulnerable to wind magic. And arrows, but... We'll be thinking about wind magic. Rule of Asvel applies.

In the spirit of that, let's talk who's coming.
    Asvel and Carion are non-negotiable. Force deploying these.
    That leaves 5 slots, for whomever you want... But... With the terrain being how it is, I'll have to recommend Karin. Please vote her in, if you've any love in your heart.

Here's a list of characters who have fatigue building up (not a lot, and none unusable):
    Lifis: 10/29
    Fergus: 17/33
    Nanna: 11/26
    Shiva: 16/35
    Dagda: 15/43
    Tanya: 17/27
    Everyone else is clean, force-deployed, or Leaf.

Don't worry about scrolls. Carion's going to get pumped up.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

From some dictionary...
    Bully boy: a ruffian or tough, esp a hired one
    Therefore Asvel, bully boy, the tough hired to take out the uglies.

Karin (for the love in my heart / your sanity)
    Shiva (on the basis that we need to offset the rest/usage of Fergus and Shiva)
    Nanna (seems like we'll need a healer)
    Fin (mounted might be useful here?)
    Lifis / Othin (the more useful of the two)

For the scrolls, I am assuming you will make use of trading around when you use the arena as has been done previously?
    This actually looks like a fun map, it kind of reminds me of Advanced Wars for some reason.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Othin'd be more useful here: there's nothing much for a thief.

I'll be passing scrolls if there's arena-ing to spare, and one or two will probably be there as defenses against the boss...
    But we are pumping that boy up.

I will say that I like the map design here, and the "mixed" objective. I feel very strongly that the map design in Thracia 776 is pretty great....Except where it plunges too far into evil. And even then, it's at least not boring.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Othin it is then.

It looks like if we get some levels on Carion he will be useful for outdoor maps especially., apparently an extra nice movement range?

There need to be more strategy games that have a mixed objective, it makes them more interesting to play.
    Haha, I am still anticipating the plunge into evil that was foretold for this game.