New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Silicon scenery molds in the uk? [War Gaming]

Hey guys ive been looking around the web for some silicon molds I can pour plaster into to create some tiles for war gaming terrain.

Mainly for use in Warhammer, Mordhiem and hopefully a 3D Super Dungeon explore board!

But sadly I can only find US sites, anyone got any links to some UK or European sites that sell em?

The sort of thing im looking for: http://www.hirstarts.com/molds/molds.html

Any help would be great! Also feel free to share tips or pitfalls that you guys have had with this sort of thing too. Thanks in advance!
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

My Post apocalyptic campaign setting for Legend: Shattered Lands

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Silicon scenery molds in the uk? [War Gaming]

Not done it for wargaming myself, but I've taken rough molds to create latex prosthetics for LRP.

This may be of some use to you. Would assume you could replace the rubber with a suitable quantity of liquid latex.

3. - Top - End - #3

Thanks but im looking more for a mold someone else has made for me to cast from. Not feeling like sculpting an entire set of ruins myself
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The Red Towel: Thread in Gaming (Other) merged with the Arts and Crafts thread (this one). Please don't post duplicate threads.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I am in Germany but I could buy HirstArts molds from a german RPG shop. While the link list on Bruce Hirst's Site is less than comprehensive a short websearch brought up these two shops in the UK. (I put them in Spoilers because I am not quite sure how to handle this. I do not know these shops neither am I advertising using them!)

You ask for tips and pitfalls:
    Casting: Due to RL constraints I did not cast very much till now. I got the Roman Watchtower, SciFiBuilding and Scematic Pyramid Mold which I could cast with regular plaster. I got two machinery molds which did not cast so well with the regular plaster, causing cracks, too much bubbles etc. I am yet to buy & try some dental plaster or resin with them.

Painting: I tried this with Acrylic Paints. The Problem is: The dry plaster kind of sucks the paint right out of the brush while you're basing the building. For the next projects I will try a spray-on basing beforehand.
    I also experimanted with mixing acrylic paint into the water before adding plaster. The color will change (due to the white/grey plaster) but it works pretty well!

If you like I could upload some pictures (But it is basically one tower + some experiments atm). Also feel free to ask me any questions!
    Last edited by Rolling Thunder; 2013-05-27 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Still battling with orthography

6. - Top - End - #6

Thanks for that, yeah Hirst arts uk looks good I managed to find them with some extra thorough googling and have the molds on order!

Im going to try with plaster of paris but if that doesnt work ill move on to dental plaster but may as well try the cheaper method first! As for painting Ive heard a layer of PVA/White glue before adding paint is the best way to stop it absorbing all the paint.

And apologies Vaynor, asked on a few different forums about this and got my rules mixed up.
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.