1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Ability Score Substitution

Which character creation options allow you to substitute one ability score for another?

Classes - Attacks

Classes - Defenses
    • Druid - Primal Aspect, Primal Guardian: CON for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Druid (Protector) - Circle of Renewal, Primal Guardian: CON for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Hybrid Druid - Hybrid Talent, Primal Aspect, Primal Guardian: CON for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Druid (Sentinel) - Primal Guardian (Sentinel): CON for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Hybrid Druid (Sentinel) - Hybrid Talent, Primal Guardian (Sentinel): CON for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Runepriest - Runic Artistry, Serene Blade: WIS for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Hybrid Runepriest - Runic Artistry, Serene Blade: WIS for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Seeker - Seeker's Bond, Spiritbond - STR for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Sorcerer - Spell Source
      • Cosmic Magic, Cosmic Persistence: STR for AC when not in heavy armor
      • Dragon Magic, Draconic Resilience: STR for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Sorcerer (Elementalist) - Elemental Magic, Elemental Resilience: CON for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Hybrid Sorcerer - Sorcerous Power, Strength Option: STR for AC when not in heavy armor
    • Warden - Guardian Might
      • Earthstrength: CON for AC when not in heavy armor
      • Lifespirit: WIS for AC when not in heavy armor
      • Stormheart: CON for AC when not in heavy armor
      • Wildblood: WIS for AC when not in heavy armor

Themes

Backgrounds

Feats

Paragon Paths
    • Paragon Hybrid - Hybrid class: Choosing the Paragon Hybrid paragon path grants you access to an additional hybrid talent. Some hybrid classes have ability score substitutions available as hybrid talents (check class listings above).
    • Daring Blade - Bard, any martial class: Use CHA for attack/damage with martial melee powers

Does anyone have any other suggestions to add?
    I'm curious to know if there are any Paragon Paths, Epic Destinies, Backgrounds, Themes, etc. that I may have missed.
    Last edited by Corion; 2013-05-10 at 11:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Ability Score Substitution

Two things I can think of:

1) Intelligent Blademaster (Swordmage feat) -- like Int-based melee training, but with full Int mod to damage.

2) Daring Blade (Bard Paragon Path) -- L11 feature, Daring Improvisation. Use Cha mod for attack and damage rolls on martial attack powers.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

My players met in a mountain pass on their way to a celebratory feast, that was then ambushed by a draconic army. Good times.

Awesome Talon avatar by Ceika.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thanks. I added them to the list.

I'll probably reorganize the list at some point either by stat or effect (or both). I'm not sure which format would be most useful.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Feat: Wrath of the Crimson Legion. Tiefling paladin uses Cha for MBAs, replaces infernal wrath with paladin's wrath.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Is this just for attacks? I vaguely remember an Artificer feat that lets them use Intelligence for thievery rolls, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

EDIT: Arcane Trapsmith, from Dragon #403, according to the handbook.
    Last edited by VeliciaL; 2013-05-08 at 01:31 AM.
    LGBTAitP

"Don't you use your fancy mathematics to muddy the issue!" -Applejack

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Tiefling feat Imperious Majesty and the level 10 feature of the Haunted Blade theme both let you use CHA for initiative.

Similarly, the Deva feat Battle Intuition, Fighter feat Wary Fighter, and the general feat Battlewise all let you use WIS for initiative.
    Last edited by Sol; 2013-05-08 at 01:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VeliciaL View Post
    Is this just for attacks?
    Nah, it's for all ability score substitutions, not just attacks. Keep 'em comin'.

One thing I'm not prepared to add yet are skill substitutions (e.g. use one skill for another) or other substitutions, but maybe I'll get to that eventually if there's not already another list online.
    Last edited by Corion; 2013-05-10 at 11:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Let's see...
    Strong Arm Tactics (Half-Orc feat) lets you use Strength instead of Charisma for the Intimidate skill.
    Cincture of the Dragon Spirit (Item) also lets you use Strength instead of Charisma for the Intimidate skill.
    Babau Gauntlets (item) let you make melee basic attacks using Dexterity instead of Strength once per turn.
    Bracers of Mental Might (item) let you use Charisma, Intelligence or Wisdom in place of Strength when using an attack, skill or ability check, as an encounter power.
    Blessed Strength (Half-Orc Paladin feat) lets you use Strength instead of Charisma for Divine Challenge and Divine Sanction.
    Quick Reactions (Battlemind feat) lets you use Charisma instead of Dexterity for initiative.
    Internalise the Basic Kata (Monk feat) lets you make melee basic attacks using Dexterity instead of Strength if using the Monk Unarmed Strike.
    Agile Superiority (Fighter feat) lets a fighter use Dexterity instead of Wisdom for the Combat Superiority class feature.
    Serene Archery (Feat, must worship Sehanine) lets you use Wisdom instead of Dexterity for ranged basic attacks with a bow.

Of related interest,
    Cincure of the Githzerai (item) lets you use Will in place of Fortitude against an incoming attack once per day.
    Belt of Fitness lets you use an Endurance check in place of fortitude against an incoming attack once per day.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Whoa, thanks a bunch. I'll work on adding these.