Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 613
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Ch. 1: All Wet

    The wind was as dead as the mood on deck. The surf was calm enough that the SS Dirty Unicorn was not jostled; instead, it was like she was sitting atop a mirror. The midday sun reflected off the sea in all directions, catching your eyes from the bottom and causing you to squint whether you wanted to or not. In the middle of the deck sat the contents of the crew's most recent haul, an uninspiring pile of goods that told the day's story themselves. After a job gone wrong, they had found and looted a merchant ship, but recently the crew of the Unicorn weren't the only ones facing hard times; instead of a cache of weapons and luxury items, they found themselves the new owners of a large shipment of nothing but baskets and wicker furniture...worthless.

    The crew of the SS Dirty Unicorn had been prepared for a jaunt to Elysium to enjoy the scenery and snag a few particularly succulent fruits. They had been commissioned by a young chef with no means who had somehow lied his way into catering an event for the local Thieves' Guild, and he was desperate to impress. The vibrance of Elysium's flora was exactly what he needed to wow them, from the deep crimson of their blood apples to the more mundane things (like the perfect crispness of their celery). He had hired the Unicorn on spec, promising them a cut of his pay from the event along with whatever they felt like looting while on the job.

    Captain Chess had prepared her sailors for a quick jaunt over to the maelstrom that marked the portal to the River Oceanus over on Elysium, and it had taken them days to sail to the spot in the doldrums that was marked on their map by an X. As they were sailing, another ship had begun to grow on the horizon, from a hazy dot and an idea to a miniature vessel to the full-sized behemoth they had just seen. Before they could even see what colors it flew, everyone knew: the SS Irontooth had decided to take the job for themselves. Captain Fitz and his crew simply smiled and saluted sarcastically as their hulking greatship cruised toward the whirlpool. She groaned like a wooden whale as her bow dipped down into the portal, and in what seemed like a heartbreaking instant the Irontooth and all onboard her were gone. The portal closed in on itself and fizzled out into nothing more than a small spot of seafoam, leaving the crew's plans all wet. Absent any other ideas, they began to turn back to port.

    On the way back, the crew had found one of the Geartooth Brothers' merchant ships (the source of the large quantities of wicker now in their possession). Pirating was a high-risk, high-reward occupation, but every pirate on the seas knew the Geartooth ships were the closest thing they had to a steady stipend. The five gnomish brothers who ran the operation believed in quantity over quality, so they had a fleet of tiny boats at their disposal. However, they firmly believed that weapons, security, or training beyond the bare minimum were unnecessary expenditures. This made each and every skiff proudly flying the blue and white flag with a gear slapped on it into a sight for sore, squinting pirate eyes. Some ships contained gems, food, or weapons. Others contained...wicker.

    As always, the motley crew of the Dirty Unicorn found themselves presented with a handful of underwhelming options. They could try to find another portal to Elysium to tail the Irontooth, but they all knew they were outclassed. Besides that, finding a fresh portal could take a few days' work without the proper instruments. They could wander aimlessly hoping for another Geartooth ship, but they could encounter another worthless barge. Or they could return to port with a lot of outdoor furniture to unload, a devastated chef and his many cleavers to report to, and a hungry thieves' guild looking for trouble. As the crew weighs their options, Wu Xin curls herself up in one of their new wicker chairs. She found it surprisingly uncomfortable, as one particular corner of the chair kept poking at her hip.

    Search DC 20 to open (Wu Xin only):
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Wu Xin examines the offending chair, she realizes that something is lodged deep within its woven frame. The object is perched precariously on a piece of wicker, and would probably fall if prodded. Even if left untouched, simply sitting in the chair may provide enough cajoling for the item to fall onto the deck, which it does. Wu notices a small black box, clean and simple except for the blue and white gear emblazoned on its cover.


    Listen DC 15 to open (all):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The noiselessness of the moment is actually a blessing, as it allows your ears to perk up at any sound. The particular sound that catches your attention is a soft THUNK from somewhere just beneath Wu Xin as she sits in the chair. It sounds like something has fallen beneath her seat, but the bright sun casts a small shadow straight down on the woman--perhaps she can see what it is that's fallen beneath her?
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-05-10 at 06:14 AM.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Golden Ladybug's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Behind Me... Wait, what?
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Chessire "Chess" Malice was proud of her Fearsome Ship and her Deadly Crew. It was immaterial if that ship was currently filled with nothing but Wicker Baskets and Furniture, and that her crew was... perhaps not the most threatening group around.

    Honestly, she wasn't sure that Wu Xin even knew she was a Pirate.

    But that didn't matter! They were a feared, respectable pirate crew who didn't have to resort to taking embarrassing jobs like picking fruit for a chef who couldn't keep his fingers out of the organised crime pie. No, of course not.

    They'd only taken that job as a joke. Totally. Definitely not because they were just about broke and were seriously considering eating Graelyn's familiar. Because that would be silly. What sort of Pirate Crew gets so desperate that eating the equivalent of the Ship's Parrot? A pretty poor one, that's for sure.

    "Arrrrgh" Chess groaned, leaning against the mast and holding her head in her hands. When had everything gone so wrong? She blamed Arnold Fitz; he was usually a good target for her ire, and he'd even earnt it this time. If Fitz and his bloody crew hadn't gotten to that Portal first (and they'd paid top dollar for the tip to where that Planar Breach was going to go down! Someone was going to pay for that!), everything would be fine. But no, it had to be that Addle Coved Arnold Fitz and his Cross Trading Bloody Ship.

    So what if he had a Kyton as the Irontooth's helmsman! He wasn't so tough!

    Chess groaned once again, and kicked one of her Skeletons over as it went about its business.

    "Okay, I'm Foamed Up. No, I'm more than Foamed Up" Chess informs the world at large while dark, eldritch energy begins lapping around her feet.

    "I. Am. Pissed.

    Whipping her hand away from her face, she looks around at the rest of you with anger in her eyes "There's no way we're letting that bloody Fitz poach another one of ours, even if its as stupid as this one! We need the Jink that Chef promised us, and we're going to get it!"

    "Oliver!" Chess shouts, pointing at a random skeleton who she just now decided to name, "Set a course for the nearest Portal to Elysium!"

    "You know... wherever that is?" She mutters, sinking back against the Mast and pouting.

    Why did everything need to be so hard?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully she hears the something or other we're hearing, because it would really cap this post off well.

    Listen (1d20+2)[14]

    Oh, come on!

    Also, this is what Chess is going to be like. Her head is going to be weird. Feel free to disagree or try to persuade her out of any course of Action she tries to take; its why she keeps you lot around, after all. She considers you marginally more sane and better equipped to make rational decisions than she is alone.

    You know, Kinda

    EDIT: Forgot we'd already chosen speech colours
    Last edited by Golden Ladybug; 2013-05-10 at 10:01 AM.


    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    boldfont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    The unbalanced woman had just launched into another one of her yelling fits where she paces back and forth waving her finger about and pounding her fist against things. Wu wasn't quite sure why the unbalanced woman did these things. Wu Xin was enjoying a horrendously uncomfortable curl in a wicker chair when something lodged in her hip fell onto the poop deck. She quickly scooped it up.

    아사! 상자! 당신은 내 친구 무엇을 숨기고있다?
    *Feelings of awesomeness! A box! What secrets do you hold my friend?


    Wu climbs the riggings of the main mast to the privacy of her perch in the crow's nest. There, among the soft coral petals of her garden of salt shine orchids (so named because of their preference for salty air and bright sunshine) she examined her new prize.

    Wu is a terrible liar. So when she tried to put on her very best "lying person's face" and non-nonchalantly made her way to the mast in an awkward goosestep while whistling, pretty much anyone would be able to tell something was up. But few people, if anyone, were paying attention at that moment.

    This new treasure was a welcome reprieve from the lifeless waters they were now in. What wonders did it hold? She shook it lightly for a clue as to its contents. Then she started fiddling with it to see if it would open.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Search (1d20+13)[30] (looking for traps and a way to open it.
    Worst bluff in all history? (1d20+2)[19] - Not bad! I better edit in a way for her to get away with this.
    Open locks take 20 for 21.


    This was a lot more exciting than watching her new young friend that cooks things chop shallots. This was like a puzzle!
    MEW
    Her little 고양이 was still in Wu's purse. She had dressed in her finest silks and put on way too much makeup earlier out of sheer boredom. And because she rarely had anything better to put in her purse, she kept her kitten there. She took said kitten out now and nuzzled her nose next to its soft white fur. 고양이 was good about being up in the crow's nest. Together they explored the box in its entirety. Maybe there was food inside!
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-10 at 09:49 AM.
    Avatar by Cuthalion

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Graelyn

    Graelyn took another swig as he sat contentedly on the deck, his back resting comfortably against a pile of rope and old clothing. The bottle sloshed depressingly and he looked to see that there was only about of a quarter of the rum left.

    Turning his head he eyed Kackaw who was perched just above him on the railing. The parrot tilted his head and issued his trademark cry that had earned him his name.

    "Youuu drraank thisss, dddidn't youuu," Graelyn slurred at his familiar. "Today wasss gonnna be a good day."

    Completely oblivious to anything going on around him, Graelyn ignored his captain's hysteria and Wu Xin's secretive magpie like behaviour.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Chess
    Knowledge Planes - (1d20+8)[12]
    Things started hard, and they're not getting any easier. Though the captain is hellbent on revenge, she doesn't know in which direction to unleash her fury. The newly-christened "Oliver" is as confused about his master's question as he is about his new name (or, for that matter, most of his orders that aren't "row," "smash," "stop," or "go"). He simply stands still, feebly raising a bony fist as if to ask "Smash?"

    Wu Xin
    Up in the crow's nest, Wu Xin and her kitten pore over the odd little box. She is quite satisfied that she has scoured every inch of it for traps, and she has found none. More curiously, though, she has found no mechanisms of any sort--no hinges, no latches, no nothing. When she shakes the box, she doesn't hear anything inside. It feels remarkably light; if it contains anything at all, it might be nothing more than parchment. If Wu wanted to get this box open, she'd have to try something else.

    Graelyn
    (d100)[56]
    The rum is smooth and dark, much like the freshly polished mahogany deck from which Graelyn couldn't quite lift himself.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-05-10 at 09:36 PM.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    boldfont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Wu growls in frustration. And then her stomach echos her frustration. She needs a box break! So she stands up and hollers at the Captain:

    야! 사람이 미친! 나 배고파. 좀 물고기를 제공합니다.
    * Hey Crazy lady! I'm starving. Go fetch me some fish.
    (The word for fish is "Mulgogi", literally "water meat".)

    She desperately pantomimes eating things and patting her tummy and tries to make a fish with her hands. Common was such a dirty tongue; she liked to avoid it if at all possible (that and she wasn't very good at it). She was confident that from nearly a hundred feet in the air her gestures and native language were well understood.

    She returns to her mysterious puzzle box. A few more taps against the mast, and rattles next to her ear, and she is still no closer to opening it. Wu Xin's stomach groans in protest a second time and she becomes disinterested with the box. She can't eat it. So she tosses over her shoulder and it performs a perfect swan dive from the crow's nest landing between Chess and Graelyn.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-11 at 12:35 AM.
    Avatar by Cuthalion

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by boldfont View Post
    She was confident that from nearly a hundred feet in the air her gestures and native language were well understood.
    This cracked me up.


    Graelyn

    Turning his head to witness the flashy arrival of Wu Xin from her nest, Graelyn waved both his hands at her, spilling a few precious drops of alcohol on the boards.

    His face went from warm and welcoming to crestfallen in a few long seconds, before, with great reluctance, and an accusing look at Kackaw, he stoppered the bottle: "You'rre not gettinnnng anymore of thisss." He hid the bottle within his pile of clothing and then staggered towards Wu Xin, briefly becoming aware of some shouting by the captain, but forgetting it almost immediately.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    The box drops out of the sky and onto the deck, skittering across it with a few loud bangs before falling at Oliver's feet. The loyal (but dumb as the pile of bones he is) skeleton brings the box to his master, dropping it at her feet with the same stupid grin of a cat who thinks his master enjoys dead mice on the doorstep. The entire crew is aware of the device now, and amazed that after a fall from such a height it is still entirely sealed and unbroken. Whatever was inside was certainly something worth keeping safe. Most interesting...

    Knowledge (arcana), (architecture & engineering), Profession (pirate), or (sailor) checks could yield more info about the box. Rolls made below--if you have anything else that might help you identify the box, let me know.

    Quote Originally Posted by boldfont View Post
    She returns to her mysterious puzzle box. A few more taps against the mast, and rattles next to her ear, and she is still no closer to opening it. Wu Xin's stomach groans in protest a second time and she becomes disinterested with the box. She can't eat it. So she tosses over her shoulder and it performs a perfect swan dive from the crow's nest landing between Chess and Graelyn.
    Wu cuts through the water like her katana cuts through flesh, barely leaving behind a splash as she high-dives from the crow's nest into the sea. As luck would have it, she opens her eyes in the clear tropical waters to find that she has dived right into the middle of a school of butterfly fish. Their bright stripes dance in front of her as they slowly swim forth. Upon her entry, some of the faster ones dash away from her, but a few float just within reach.

    Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandrag View Post
    "You'rre not gettinnnng anymore of thisss."
    *WRAK* "Just a sip mate, just a sip," Kackaw chirps out, echoing Graelyn's own words on many an occasion. The bird flaps over and lands atop the tiny box that had just fallen from the crow's nest. Graelyn finds that, for once, his attention is drawn away from his drink and towards the device. Once he's able to squint just right and actually focuses his eyes, the magician realizes something--he knows what this box is!

    @Graelyn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You remember some paranoid wizards using a "Spellkeep," a completely sealed box containing a powerful scroll to be broken and used only in case of emergencies. The devices have a nautical application as well, however. Since they are fireproof, waterproof, and almost completely tamper-proof, some crews have taken to using them to ferry sensitive information across the seas. Their intended recipient can safely open them with a command word, or they can simply try to shatter the thing (though doing so is usually a grueling task in itself).


    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wu Tumble - (1d20+16)[32]
    Chess Know Arcana - (1d20+3)[7]
    Graelyn Know Arcana - (1d20+15)[22]
    Pandora Know Arcana - (1d20+4)[13]
    James Prof Pirate - (1d20+5)[10]
    Wu Prof Sailor - (1d20+7)[14]
    Graelyn Prof Sailor - (1d20+2)[20]
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-05-11 at 06:39 AM.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Graelyn

    "Fetch!!!" Graelyn cries dramatically, with only the faintest hint of unsteadiness, though his familiar instead chooses to land in his shoulder and caw loudly and annoyingly in his ear.
    With his first course of action having failed him. Graelyn takes the far more hazardous decision to stumble across the deck, which is swaying far more than it ought to he decides, "Damn, tropical waters, always messing with the undercurrents," he muttered.

    Nearing the box, Graelyn pauses, remembering through the haze, that Chess could be very particular about ownership, and much as he might like to examine the box, it was probably best to let the captain hold on to it, for the moment.

    "Er, Captain, that box there. I think it's a Spellkeep; pretty tough-like, hard to break. Meant for a particular person you know. Opens to a command word, or... er, a little extra force. Well a lot, actually."
    Pausing to allow his poorly delivered monologue to have its dramatic effect, Graelyn then decided that he would try and open the box: "The word would have to be a rare word I think, something with importance... Braganza! Sessimorph! Ear-trumpet!"
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    boldfont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Spoiler
    Show
    If you read the post again, the box did the dive, not Wu. I'm going to roll with it though, because it is more interesting. Just let me put in a few things retroactively.


    Before diving from the crow's nest and into the waters below, Wu strips off her jewelry and silk finery and places them in a small lock box she keeps up is the nest. She'll come back for kitten when she has something for them both to eat. She is nude now, but like many elves she is oblivious to such modesty. When she completes her dive into the waters below she feels a sense of calm and satisfaction. Life is good, even when there is no food and everyone around is grumpy for some reason. The box is nagging at her still, but in all likelihood she'll forget all about it in a minute.

    And so she does. The sight of delicious succulent butterfly fish causes her to grin from pointy ear to pointy ear. Ask and you shall receive. Her hands dart out like lightning towards the one closest to her.

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+14)[15] sleight of hand to catch a fish bare handed, kick her way the hull, where she will bash it against the ship until dead. It's a tall order, I know.
    Edit: A natural one... There's a feat for that that I will definitely be taking later.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-11 at 01:33 PM.
    Avatar by Cuthalion

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    freyathefairy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    GLASGOW!!!! SCOTLAND!!!
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check.(1d20+11)[31] oh my word a natural twenty!


    Pandora wanders aimlesly around the deck, her right hand continually stroking Blinky so that she can navigate away from obstacles. She hears a soft and muffled band bellow deck. It sounds as if something fell over.

    She eventually comes to stop beneath the crows nest and leans against the mast. She hears Graelyn bickering with Kawkaw and then a thud.

    "What was that"
    Last edited by freyathefairy; 2013-05-11 at 07:27 PM.
    I reject your reality and subsitute my own.
    My Internet signal is dodgy at the moment so I can't always get on.
    Avatar by Terry576

    Finally back from sleep deprived nothingness updates ASAP

    My Homebrew

    Races

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Golden Ladybug's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Behind Me... Wait, what?
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    "Aww, hell" Chess mutters, looking at the mysterious box, "This is going to end badly, isn't it, Graelyn?"

    The Captain, pushing the useless Oliver out of the way, walked cautiously up to the Box and crouched down next to it beside the Drunken First Mate. Curiously, she pointed a Finger at the box and fired off a blast of Eldritch Energy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Shooting the magic box can't possibly go wrong, right?

    Attack (1d20+9)[15] That's actually 14; Chess has only got a +8 to hit, but its a touch attack so that's okay
    Damage (3d6)[16]
    Last edited by Golden Ladybug; 2013-05-11 at 09:29 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    @Boldfont:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though slower than usual, even the slowest Wu Xin is faster than a fish. She snags one of the poor, unfortunate creatures with ease and kills it against the side of the Unicorn. Small trails of blood spiral from the creature and cause beautiful ribbons to form in the water, but they also serve as Wu's signal that perhaps she should get back on the boat. Especially in deep, still waters, predatory creatures liked to make their home. Even a drop of blood in the water was as good as an invitation to a dinner party for them. She wouldn't attract any mythical creatures, mind you, but perhaps a shark or two.


    Graelyn tries a few command words to open the box, but they do just as much good as one waving at Pandora to get her attention. The blind ship's medic is wandering around the decks with her seeing eye dog, oblivious to the goings on. Someone should fill her in; perhaps her training would lend some unexpected insight. At each of Graelyn's slurred commands, the box reacts similarly: it does nothing.


    Chess directs her eldritch energies to the box, but even they are not enough to break it. The box absorbs the blast and, while a small cracking sound is heard, there is no sign of visible damage. The black box glows a faint purple for a moment until the energy dissipates. She'd have to keep at this for a while, unless she had any other magic that could shatter it outright.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-05-12 at 06:34 AM.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Graelyn

    "Hmm, perhaps we could drop it from a great height," Graelyn mused, about to grab the box and teleport 60ft in the air, until he realised that the impact might well cut through the ship instead, and Chessire might not take kindly to him sinking her boat.
    With both force and intellect having failed Graelyn muttered a few words, using an opening spell.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Knock
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    boldfont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    She climbs the rope ladder they hang on the side of the ship, fishy in hand, and skips giddily to the galley. On her way she grabs her katana. When she arrives at the galley, dead fish in one hand and deadly sword in the other, she flops the victual on the cook's counter and demands in the common tongue Cheppi! ("Chef") Ya! Cheppi! Cooke me pishy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't choose to dive in the water, so I'm not getting trapped in the water. There's a ladder. ...please. If you want me to edit this and have a little "stuck in the water naked with sharks" adventure, we can do that.

    Also, bravo to the rest of the crew for doing useful stuff.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-12 at 11:10 AM.
    Avatar by Cuthalion

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Golden Ladybug's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Behind Me... Wait, what?
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    "Lets save that for plan E" Chess replies glibly, the mental image of the box striking someone on the head as it fell. Or worse, breaking a hole in the deck of the Dirty Unicorn.

    Watching Graelyn's mystical attempts to gain access to the Box, Chess flexed her fingers and called to mind the words she would need for Plan D. Taking off her Tricornne and absent-mindedly spinning the hat around on her fingers, she waits for the results of Graelyn's Knock spell.

    If the Knock spell fails, she licks her lips and utters a Baleful Word of the Dark Speech.

    "Molva" Chess uttered, the fell energies of the word blasting apart bonds and destroying any object in its path.

    "Molva Molva Molva Molva Molva Molva"

    ... Its better to be safe than sorry.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    She'd have to keep at this for a while, unless she had any other magic that could shatter it outright.
    Oh you

    If Knock Doesn't work, Chess will hit this box with Baleful Utterance a couple of times and hope it breaks.


    Meanwhile, in the kitchen, a Skeleton dressed in a Chef's Hat and an Apron (and little else) looks at Wu Xin with no comprehension in its lack of eyes.

    Well, it might not be looking at Wu Xin. Its hard to tell with Skeletons.


    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Above Deck
    Upon Graelyn's casting of Knock, tiny fissures begin to form along the length of the box. It looks as though it might open gently, but Chess grows impatient with the slow progress of the spell and chimes in with a repeated incantation of her own. The box breaks into fragments, the fragments into shards, the shards into specks, the specks into dust, and finally the dust into powder. All that is left behind is a tightly wound scroll.

    Upon unwrapping the document, the crew finds a map much like the one they had followed to the portal that was supposed to take them to Elysium. In fact, the portal itself is marked with a circle on the map. A few short miles away, another spot on the water is marked with an X, the word "Elysium" written in jagged script above each. There are some other complicated notations that aren't clear in any language the crew knows.

    Profession (Sailor) DC 25, Knowledge (geography or planes) DC 20, or Decipher Script DC 30 to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The circles are standard cartographer's notation for a portal--a safe gateway between worlds that allows travel but protects planar effects from bleeding through from one world to the other. An "X," on the other hand, is used to indicate a vortex--a violent and unstable bridge between worlds that causes elements from both joined dimensions to swirl together at the point of connection. Many planar pirates extol the virtues of vortexes as quicker ways to travel between planes...if one can master the trick of crossing them safely.


    In the margin of the map there is a note scrawled in a foreign language, with an odd sketch below it. The ridiculously polysyllabic nature of the words reveals it as Gnomish:

    Gnomish speakers (or Decipher Script DC 25) to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "A front door to every store,
    But only one back door to the vault.
    Churning, burning, ever turning,
    Fuels forever (at least it ought)."


    The sketch is made with colored graphite and grease pencils, but it still bears the marks of an artist more than those of a hardened sailor:

    Below Deck (Galley)
    The skeletal cook points its hollow face in Wu Xin's direction with limited recognition and feebly pokes at the fish carcass with its meat cleaver. If their client had been on deck, perhaps he could have whipped up a mean filet, but he had hired the Unicorn to sail the planar seas for him precisely because he wanted to avoid such a trek. The skeleton plops the fish on a frying pan, then picks the creature up (slightly blackened) and hands it back to Wu Xin. At the same time, she hears the repeated sound of shattering above deck and muted murmuring from the crew. Perhaps they had discovered something interesting?
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-05-12 at 09:54 PM.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Graelyn

    "What have we here?" Graelyn asked, grinning as his eyes alighted on potential knowledge. He felt like he almost understood what the map meant, what with its Xs and squiggles, but the full import eluded him. Luckily he remembered enough scraps of Gnomish to decipher the poem at the bottom. He read it out to the others, filling his voice with pomposity:
    "A front door to every store,
    But only one back door to the vault.
    Churning, burning, ever turning,
    Fuels forever (at least it ought)."

    "Well that sounds interesting enough. What do you think it is Cap'n?"
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SamBurke's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    You lost the game.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    The screaming and the splash of water don't dent his concentration. Neither do the standard skeleton clanks of running about hither, thigher, and yon, fixing the decks. But, when he hears the shattering... yeah, he's up.

    "What in the name of Asmodeous' secret collection of rubber ducks is going on up here!?" James bellows, waving around one of his books, entitled, "Surviving the Simpletons: A Guide to Tuning Out The World. Apparently, it's not very successful.

    He glances around the deck, eyes following an ornate pile of... dust to the captain, then to the scroll. "Oh, don't tell me. A magical artifact fell from the sky, and you blew it to pieces BEFORE I could look at it?" He sighs. "Figures. Just figures. Lemme see, now." Bending over the scroll, he mumbles aloud the words. Then... the pacing begins.

    "Hm... Yes!"

    "Oh, no... of course not."

    "Well... maybe?"

    "Or.... yes?"

    Finally, he's back over near the scroll. He breathes deeply, stares at it for a second, and utters his findings. "I got nothin'."
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2013-05-13 at 12:22 PM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

    Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

    First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    boldfont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Wu ignores the shattering sound when she hears it. She has fish on her mind! Unfortunately, it is not meant to be.

    Wu Xin's face reddens when her beautiful fish is returned to her burnt on one side and still raw on the other. The skeleton chef didn't even fillet it. Wu cannot believe the incompetence of the crew on this ship sometimes. One day she is going to be rich, and on that day she'll hire Cheppi the skeleton chef jsut so she can fire him (or her). And then she'll hire a real chef that can actually cook something.

    She throws the fish down on the galley table and hacks it in half with her sword. Holding the fish up furiously in one hand she shoves the bisected bum end of the fish in the skeleton's face (or lack of face). Half of the creature flakes off char and burnt scales, and the other half drips raw juices. She screams at the chef.

    바보! 당신이 무슨 짓을 봐. 당신은 나의 맛있는 물고기를 파괴. 당신은 최악의 요리입니다. 어떻게 물고기를 구워 또한 요리를 실패 했는가? 어떻게이 먹고 해야하는 건가요? 당신은 요리사입니까? 날이 물고기를 잡는 것은 매우 어려운 일이었다. 매우 배고프다. 나는 이것에 대해 미친 여자를 말할 것이다.

    *Idiot! Look at what you did. You ruined my delicious fish. You are the worst cook. How did you burn the fish and also fail to cook it? How am I supposed to eat this? You call yourself a chef? It was very difficult for me to catch this fish. I am very hungry. I will tell the crazy lady about this.


    She throws a fist full of the fish on the galley floor and storms off in anger. Then she does an about face and returns and for the fish head.

    자랑하지 마십시오. 나는 고양이로 제공합니다.

    *Don't look so smug! It's for my cat.


    When she returns topside, she storms past the crew as they pour over the hidden scroll with interest. They ignore the sight of a naked, wet, and angry elf clutching a burnt/raw fish head. It is a common enough sight. She climbs the shrouds up to the crow's nest again and gives the fish head to her kitten who mews in disappointment. Now what? Her stomach groans in protest. She could try and catch another fish, but who would cook it for her. She wanted to see land soon so they could replenish supplies and chef skeleton could bastardize one of the twelve recipes it was actually programmed to make. Wu always thought it was an oversight that it couldn't make fish.

    She peers over the edge of the nest. The others are still huddled around some silly old thing or other. She would bring her complaint to the crazy lady! That's what she'd do! Wu puts on her boring old sailor clothes because Chess and the others always insist she wear clothes before talking to them and she wanted to get on their good side. She was sure if she approached this right she could convince them that finding food was priority #1. She put her kitten on her shoulder and climbed down, fully dressed and ready for work.

    When she saw that they were looking at a map that came out of her box she was a little annoyed. But then she remembered that she tossed it away and supposed it was fair that they got to open it. She pushes the inferior drunken elf aside and joins in the excitement of the discovery.

    Ooooooohhhh... wery interlesting she chimes in rubbing her chin.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-13 at 11:43 AM.
    Avatar by Cuthalion

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    boldfont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry to double post. Ruined roll.
    Prof Sailor: (1d20+7)[13]


    Wu Xin has little or no clue what she is looking at.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-13 at 11:48 AM.
    Avatar by Cuthalion

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    With the others coming up short, Graelyn took the document to one side and re-examined it, though this time his parrot familiar was less quiet, and repeate added unhelpful noises just to disrupt Graelyn's concentration.

    So the circle was a portal then, yes that seemed sensible, and leads to Elysium; where they should have been. Then why would the X also be labelled Elysium? Oh. Another portal, but different this time... That could only be...

    "It's a vortex!" Graelyn cried, jumping to his feat and sending Kackaw screeching around the deck. "This is like the Gnomish said; a backdoor, another route. We can get there before Arnold grgahrshirj...." The end of his sentence disolves into unintelligible gibberish as his hatred for their rival causes him to seethe visibly.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    It's amazing what happens when adventure is afoot. The breezeless sky now feels less like the stillness of the grave and more like the calm before the storm, little lightning bolts of adrenaline zipping up the necks of everyone on board. Their raid on the Geartooth ship turned out to be not a consolation prize, but the appetizer to what could become a main course of revenge. The scurvy scalliwags on board the SS Irontooth would rue the day they had stolen a job from the Dirty Unicorn!

    The X on the map beckons to them, calling everyone to something close to every pirate's heart: maximum risk for maximum reward. Though Graelyn was the only one who knew what the symbol on the map meant, everyone knew what a vortex was: a violent and unstable bridge between worlds that causes elements from both joined dimensions to swirl together at the point of connection. Many planar pirates extol the virtues of vortexes as quicker ways to travel between planes...if one can master the trick of crossing them safely. There was always a chance that they could capsize in the rough waters of the vortex, get trapped somewhere in the breakers between worlds, or worse...Was it worth the risk to chase their sworn enemies across the planes, or would they head back to Fantine to lick their wounds and face the thieves?
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-05-13 at 08:44 PM.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Golden Ladybug's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Behind Me... Wait, what?
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    "Hmm..." Chess mutters, removing her Tricorne hat with one hat and knuckling her close cropped hair with the other.

    "Well, you know me; I've never been one to step down from a challenge," Chess tells the others, the all too familiar glint of crazed determination appearing in her eyes as she looks at those gathered around her; Graelyn, drunk as a skunk like usual. James Sirocco, exasperation and annoyance clear on his face. Wu Xin, dripping wet and excitable. What better crew could she ask for?

    Who cares if she didn't have a Half-Dragon Gelatinous Cube to catapult at enemy ships like Fitz did! She'd show him. She'd show her Fiendish Father. She'd show them all!

    "Its not just a Job now" She whispered conspiratorially, "Its a Race too. We've got to get to this Vortex, brave its waters and learn how to ride one, reach Elysium, avoid any patrolling Exemplars or other 'Good Guys', find the Fruits or whatever for this chef and all before the SS Irontooth makes it through that direct portal to the grove we were headed to"

    Her grin reached her ears as she explained the stakes, her namesake all too appropriate as she spoke. They totally had a shot. They were the underdogs, and even though they almost always lost and got beaten into the dirt, they still had a chance. And now, when everything was at its most desperate, they were going to go up against their greatest rival and defeat them in a down to the wire, desperation game.

    That was what being the underdog was all about!

    "Okay Guys, you in?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, maybe she knew what the Scroll was about before Graelyn did (1d20+8)[22]
    Last edited by Golden Ladybug; 2013-05-14 at 08:42 AM.


    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Graelyn grinned too; damn but the captain's smile was infectious, like cholera.

    "Solid plan, Cap'n!" Graelyn cried, wobbling slightly.
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    boldfont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Wu Xin was so hungry! So could barely concentrate on what Chess was saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Ladybug View Post
    "Hmm... Blah blah blah blah ba blah blah Blah Challenge.

    Bla blah ba Blah blah. Ba ba Race blah. Ba ba blah blah buh blah Vortex, blah buh blah ba lah blah b-blah, blah Elysium, blah blah baddie-ba-blab-blah-dee-blah, blah buh Fruits be blah boo buh chef blah blah bee blah SS Irontooth blah buh blah blah blah portal boo blah blah blah blah blah blab.

    Okay Guys, you in?"
    "Fruits"? and "Elysium"? And there's a real chef too? Oh yeah, she knew what was going on, and she was so ready.

    화이팅!
    *Fighting
    she cheered, pumping her fist wildly in the air.

    Let's get all the fruits! she thought. She immediately showed her loyalty to the cause by preparing to hoist the main sail as quickly as professionally possible (with some skeletal assistance).

    Spoiler
    Show

    Sailing (1d20+7)[11]
    To go very quickly, not to succeed. Otherwise I would take 10.
    EDIT: lame! Evil hell spawn forum dice.
    Last edited by boldfont; 2013-05-14 at 09:25 AM.
    Avatar by Cuthalion

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    freyathefairy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    GLASGOW!!!! SCOTLAND!!!
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Pandora eventually stumbles towards the rest of the party with the aid of Blinky.
    So whats going on here?
    I reject your reality and subsitute my own.
    My Internet signal is dodgy at the moment so I can't always get on.
    Avatar by Terry576

    Finally back from sleep deprived nothingness updates ASAP

    My Homebrew

    Races

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfPirate

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    "A vortex!" Graelyn cries, using the blind girl to steady himself: "Just think what it'll look like: and er, in your case, think really hard! We'll catch the Irontooth yet, yes we will."
    What pokemon are you:
    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    boldfont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Wu comes barreling past Pandora with an armful of tangled rope just in time to here her question. On the second pass she is carrying a block and tackle and she answers
    get the fruits
    before scampering off.
    Avatar by Cuthalion

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    freyathefairy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    GLASGOW!!!! SCOTLAND!!!
    Gender
    Female

    biggrin Re: Beyond the Horizon IC (3.5)

    Pandora nodded piecing together what Wu Xin and Graelyn said.

    Okay so we are chasing the Irontooth to get to a vortex to complete our job from the chef fellow?

    questioned Pandora.
    I reject your reality and subsitute my own.
    My Internet signal is dodgy at the moment so I can't always get on.
    Avatar by Terry576

    Finally back from sleep deprived nothingness updates ASAP

    My Homebrew

    Races

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •