New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Roy, Champion of Thor?

First off, let me say that Roy's recent power-up is probably due entirely to the Starmetal-enhanced Greenhilt Sword, but I can't help thinking...

Durkon, a high-level cleric for whom Thor has bent the rules (Weather Control don't work like that!) in the past, is slain in battle by a vampire. By rights, Durkon's soul should be in Valhalla now, but Thor has been cheated out of Durkon's soul by Hel's machinations. As a result, the world is perilously close to destruction and Thor is perilously close to being subjugated/reduced in status by Hel getting millions of Dwarf souls.

But wait! Here comes a Lawful Good human fighter, the only one willing and able to prevent Hel's scam by slaying Durkula. Wouldn't Thor like to bend some rules again by infusing Roy with some divine power? Certainly what Roy has been doing (self-healing, smiting evil) is similar to things a paladin can do.

Just an idle thought.
    Last edited by Gecho; 2015-10-28 at 09:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Roy, Champion of Thor?

Thor's divine power manifests with yellow color. If anything, it'd be the champion of Zeus.
    Last edited by The gF; 2015-10-28 at 10:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I don't think completion of one's duty automatically trumps over (lack of) lifetime of devotion and faith. If anygod could claim a powerful character as their champion because they fought to further the god's interest (and not even in their name), then the world would be choke full of 'champions' and 'chosens'.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Doof View Post
    I don't think completion of one's duty automatically trumps over (lack of) lifetime of devotion and faith. If anygod could claim a powerful character as their champion because they fought to further the god's interest (and not even in their name), then the world would be choke full of 'champions' and 'chosens'.
    What about 'chosen campions' would there be alot of those? Missed opportunity me thinks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

Isn't that kind of the thing with Favoured Souls? There's plenty of those around.
    Which raises the interesting question whether a person can be a Favoured Soul without knowing it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gecho View Post
    By rights, Durkon's soul should be in Valhalla now, but Thor has been cheated out of Durkon's soul by Hel's machinations.
    I disagree. By rights, following the rules of how vampires work in this world and to which all gods had to agree (if only as a compromise), Durkon's soul should be exactly where it is right now. I you could blame a deity for Thor's losing one soul, you'd have to blame Nergal, not Hel.
    ungelic is us

7. - Top - End - #7

Assuming the gods even know what's going on down there, you might ask why Hel doesn't buff Durkon and smite Roy herself. And she would definitely do that if Thor suddenly interrupted the vote to go violate the rules of the godsmoot. It sort of ruins the whole setup in this book of how the gods can't interfere directly to suddenly have a god interfering directly in a situation where even the other clerics and bodyguards can't help out.

8. - Top - End - #8

PirateWench

I've been wondering if the starmetal might actually be a fleck off of Thor's hammer.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    I've been wondering if the starmetal might actually be a fleck off of Thor's hammer.
    Again, if that were the case, it would not be fire, and it would not be green. It would be yellow lightning.

10. - Top - End - #10

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by The gF View Post
    Again, if that were the case, it would not be fire, and it would not be green. It would be yellow lightning.
    A fleck of Eugenes hammer?

Did he have a hammer? Probably, right? Right?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm guessing the OP is referring to the Giant's "Champion" base class that he wrote for 3.5 on this website. It doesn't involve lifetime devotion.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2015-11-04 at 01:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Only if Thor did it before the Godsmooth.

If Thor did it just because Roy is fighting the High Priest of Hel, it would be cheating both Godsmooth rules and the past agreement within the Gods. And we know that Thor can't do neither.
    If Thor did it before, it would be legal. However, I don't think that it is divine power...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    Only if Thor did it before the Godsmooth.

If Thor did it just because Roy is fighting the High Priest of Hel, it would be cheating both Godsmooth rules and the past agreement within the Gods. And we know that Thor can't do neither.
    If Thor did it before, it would be legal. However, I don't think that it is divine power...
    Spoiler
    Show
    If anybody here has seen Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold, might identify the green energy not as the power of a god, but as the power of the people of the world, their faith and the power of the world itself...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If anybody here has seen Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold, might identify the green energy not as the power of a god, but as the power of the people of the world, their faith and the power of the world itself...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roy is NOT using the Spirit Bomb. Eugene wasn't wrong when he said this isn't Dragonball Z, and that was powered the same way.