New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Underrated D&D webcomics

I wanted to highlight some underrated comics, but if i went with all webcomics, the list would be absurd. I really feel like reading some D&D based webcomics, so here are three that really need love. Obviously none of these are as good as OOTS or Goblins, but these are still all worth reading. I am not including any webcomics that can be found on this sight.

Darken

A D&D adventure from the perspective of the protagonists, who spend their time fighting against either other bigger evil things, or petty good guys. The art starts out poor and gets....slightly less poor. The world building is intriguing but sadly unexplored, the plot is kinda confusing, but the dialogue and most importantly the characters are fantastic. You really come to love the main bunch, which includes a Yuan-ti Pureblood Rogue, a Drow fighter (who is basically a massive nerd), a half Dragon Cleric, a Demon Touched Blackguard, A werebear fighter and a human aristocrat. It is really worth reading.

Nahast the Land of Fate

Set in a Japanese/Chinese setting, this story honestly really reminds me of Goblins. I don't know why. Anyways, it follows a Samurai who is trying to start up an all female military unit, which is ironically exactly what one of my players is doing. Extremely interesting character dynamics. Unlike all of the other examples, this is a straight drama, and is honestly really low key, the entire story feels like what it would be like to live in a D&D world. Art starts out Medocre and eventually gets to become....ok. But the writing is really top notch

Prime of Ambition
    Well draw, nice presentation, and good set up but....kinda forgettable as the main character is a bit...Perfect? Still worth checking out

Drowtales
    Extremely pretty to read, but I honestly have no idea what is going on. I would link it but the sight keeps changing every day or so and their seem to be two seperate stories going on....CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN THE MADNESS TO ME. GAHHHHh

Our little Adventure

An OOTS inspired work which I think is fantastic, quite frankly on par with OOTS and Goblins in terms of quality. While not as funny as the former or as clever as the latter, OLA is told in a similar but distinct style to OOTS in an extremely interesting Dragonlance esc Fantasy world. In fact, my only major criticism is that their isn't more information on the world. I love the way it portrays the AL system and how people would realistically act in a D&D world. Also, it is the only one of these that actually feels like somebody is writing down their D&D games.

Does anybody else know any good D&D based becomics.
    Last edited by CowardlyPaladin; 2013-05-19 at 07:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Underrated D&D webcomics

Hmm...I'm not sure if it counts, and frankly I'm somewhat embarrassed for liking it, but Virtually Comics' Character Development, a playmobil-comic, is strangely intriguing to me. The plotline is really convoluted and quite ridiculous after a while and there is a not-unsubstantial amount of raunchy sex wacky shenanigans, but it's actually really hilarious at times.

EDIT: Oh, and by the by, Darken really is excellent (I've read it thrice, I believe). I have to respectfully disagree on OLA- it's not bad; it's got some shining moments from time to time and I still keep up with it, but frankly the fourth-wall breaking is too frequent and blunt for me to really delve into it thoroughly, and half the time I feel like the punchlines are...well, lacking their punch. Still worth a look, but definitely not on par with OOTS or Goblins in my opinion.
    Last edited by Fates; 2013-05-19 at 07:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

DM of the Rings by Shamus Young is really good. Although I wouldn't say it's underrated, it is D&D based. The premise is that Lord of the Rings is run as a D&D campaign, entailing a ton of railroading and exposition. Naturally, the players go off the rails and make a mockery out of the campaign. It's told by using screencaptures from the Lord of the Rings movies, rather than original art, but this doesn't detract from the quality. Also, it's finished with 144 comics plus a few extras, so you can read all of it in one sitting.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalfOrcPirate

Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic is one of my favorites. Personally I think it's what Goblins initially attempted to be, a slice of life comic based around the monsters in a giant dungeon complex.

Dungeons and Dorks was another one that I used to follow. The first few story arcs are pretty good, but then writers and artists started dropping out and it became incomprehensible to me. If you start at the beginning though you should get some enjoyment out of it.
    Last edited by CRtwenty; 2013-12-24 at 05:53 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Another Gaming Comic* is literally a D&D comic, a group of players playing D&D, though it's a real mishmash of rules.
    Unlike many, it doesn't indulge much in putting the characters in costumes in costumes and showing the action visually. Nope, it actually plays out basically as if you were watching a bunch of players play D&D, with only occasional illustrations of the actions for clarity. Since the players are playing characters who really are not them, including cross play, this is probably for the best.
    The art is, to be charitable, terrible, but it does the job, and it's extremely text heavy, but the characters and situations are interesting nonetheless.
    *Not to be confused with Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by CowardlyPaladin View Post
    Drowtales
    Extremely pretty to read, but I honestly have no idea what is going on. I would link it but the sight keeps changing every day or so and their seem to be two seperate stories going on....CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN THE MADNESS TO ME. GAHHHHh
    here's a suitable link.
    Drowtales has the main comic "Moonless Age", two drawn games, "Relic Hunters" and "Path to Power", the latter of which you can participate in for free, and a number of Daydream stories, where naughty stuff happens.

also, "Nahast: Lands of Strife" incorporates some mexican culture as well if i recall correctly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I slogged through Darken recently. The first half was good...the second half I spent wanting terrible things to happen to the terrible, unlikable people I was reading about.

The only likable characters in the whole thing were generic rogue guy and some of the antagonists. Also...the plot..."let's go on an epic quest to find 3 ancient articacts! What's that? We found 2 of them by complete coincidence through no effort or merit of our own? Ok!"

That's some fine storytelling there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The comic thread for DrowTales isn't called 'The Infodump' for nothing, and very little of the world interested me, so I literally never got into it. The only part I found fascinating was that humans were apparently a type of goblin in that universe. Too bad, it had quite good art, better than many, much more beloved comics.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2013-05-20 at 01:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

HalfOrcPirate

I wouldn't call it "underrated" by any means, but I've got to give a shout out to Nodwick here. It's about as D&D as it gets, and was one of my favorite Dragon magazine comics. The author also does a comic called "Full Frontal Nerdity" on the same site that is also good.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CRtwenty View Post
    I wouldn't call it "underrated" by any means, but I've got to give a shout out to Nodwick here. It's about as D&D as it gets, and was one of my favorite Dragon magazine comics. The author also does a comic called "Full Frontal Nerdity" on the same site that is also good.
    Sadly, the former is over now.
    Hench on, little big nosed buddy.
    Hench on.
    Still worth a read going through the archives I agree.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Another Gaming Comic is great. It has the added bonus of slavishly following the 3.5 rules, unlike other D&D comics which have moved further and further away from an external rule set.
    I can do a thousand now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Anyone got any others? I already know every comic mentioned thus far.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Fion MacCumhail View Post
    here's a suitable link.
    Drowtales has the main comic "Moonless Age", two drawn games, "Relic Hunters" and "Path to Power", the latter of which you can participate in for free, and a number of Daydream stories, where naughty stuff happens.

also, "Nahast: Lands of Strife" incorporates some mexican culture as well if i recall correctly.
    Ok, but isn't their an original story and a reboot story?

Also I think the Elves are Mexican, at least the wood elves are, the sea elves seem vaugly indian, and the humans are Chinese/Japanese. I'm not sure what the dwarves are

14. - Top - End - #14

Ok, but isn't their an original story and a reboot story?
    well, most of chapters 1-12 of "Moonless Age" got rewritten and redrawn. the old versions are pretty much gone, though. only some pages can be found via search engine or people who downloaded them in time.

edit: or are you referring to the parts of the story that happen before and after the time skip?
    Last edited by Fion MacCumhail; 2013-05-22 at 07:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Shoutout and love to Dungeons & Denizens. This one is a gem, in my opinion. The comic focuses on Min the Minotaur as he takes on a tech support job for a dungeon that treats the occasional raid by heroes as a business. The comic's story is disjointed at best; I can never tell if the author genuinely believes he has some sort of narrative goal in mind or if he's feebly attempting to con me into believing that he's really planned everything out. For all that, though, the art is very nice, the characters are well defined, and the whole thing's just so lighthearted and reveling in its silliness that I just can't help but like it. Probably not for everyone, but certainly worth a look.
    Last edited by Komodo; 2013-05-22 at 08:55 AM.
    There are no impossible encounters. There is only inadequate preparation.

16. - Top - End - #16

God damn, is their like a guide book to Drowtales, so I can understand what is going on? This would be so much easier if it wasn't for the god forsaken overly complicated names. I keep forgetting who everybody is in this comic

17. - Top - End - #17

18. - Top - End - #18

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Another Gaming Comic* is literally a D&D comic, a group of players playing D&D, though it's a real mishmash of rules.
    Unlike many, it doesn't indulge much in putting the characters in costumes in costumes and showing the action visually. Nope, it actually plays out basically as if you were watching a bunch of players play D&D, with only occasional illustrations of the actions for clarity. Since the players are playing characters who really are not them, including cross play, this is probably for the best.
    The art is, to be charitable, terrible, but it does the job, and it's extremely text heavy, but the characters and situations are interesting nonetheless.
    *Not to be confused with Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic.
    You rat-bastard! Three damn days that archive dive took me!! And then, right at that damn moment, the guy takes a couple weeks off for writing!!! :P
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MasterofFates View Post
    Anyone got any others? I already know every comic mentioned thus far.
    Maybe...Planescape Survival Guide?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Thanks for the plug, man :) (even if it took me quite awhile to notice it!) Can it get a sweet description like these others, though?

(Haven't seen you on the tagboard in a while, either!)
    Last edited by Swiftbow; 2013-12-21 at 07:18 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it's a comic set in the setting of Planescape. A powerful entity known as the Nothing is consuming the multiverse. The heroes consist of an adventuring party from Faerun (Forgotten Realms) and a group of planar travelers from Sigil, as well as several others (a dragon, a good beholder, an owl), and they are trying to stop the Nothing.

Also, there is a TVtropes page.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Our little Adventure

An OOTS inspired work which I think is fantastic, quite frankly on par with OOTS and Goblins in terms of quality. While not as funny as the former or as clever as the latter, OLA is told in a similar but distinct style to OOTS in an extremely interesting Dragonlance esc Fantasy world. In fact, my only major criticism is that their isn't more information on the world. I love the way it portrays the AL system and how people would realistically act in a D&D world. Also, it is the only one of these that actually feels like somebody is writing down their D&D games.
    Big fan of this webcomic.
    Does anybody else know any good D&D based becomics.
    Murphy's Law:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270576
    From the our loveable own CoffeeIncluded on this site, it is a D&D tale about an adventuring party and the world.

I love Another Gaming Comic.

Friendship is Dragons is a 4th edition "My Little Pony" D&D webcomic.
    http://friendshipisdragons.thecomics...com/comics/377

Rusty and Co. Mostly it starts as monster side of D&D, but now it is slowly becoming a regular D&D adventure.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd never heard of Will Save World For Gold until yesterday. I've, uh, now read it all.

It does have a tread here, which is how I found it, actually. But it's good, so...yeah. Also, it takes the piss out of 4e mechanics, so it doesn't feel like "OOTS already made that joke".
    Iron Penguin is the amazingly generous person who made mah avatar.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I slogged through Darken recently. The first half was good...the second half I spent wanting terrible things to happen to the terrible, unlikable people I was reading about.

The only likable characters in the whole thing were generic rogue guy and some of the antagonists. Also...the plot..."let's go on an epic quest to find 3 ancient articacts! What's that? We found 2 of them by complete coincidence through no effort or merit of our own? Ok!"

That's some fine storytelling there.
    Sometime, this happens also to standard D&D adventurers: they find things by luck.
    Anyway, the art didn't impressed me, but the ending wasn't bad.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Our little Adventure

Just read through this one, quite enjoyable. Nothing quite as awe inspiring as OOTS or other comics, but it certainly was amusing (and amazingly consistent in virtually all departments) so I'll definitely be following.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Really got into this one, can't wait for it too pick up again!
    "I Burn!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I suspect that Nahast may be dead and gone - as I recall, the last update was February 2012.
    "Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Ftagn!" said the cultist.
    "Oh bother," said Pooh.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Rusty and Co. Mostly it starts as monster side of D&D, but now it is slowly becoming a regular D&D adventure.
    It's pretty good too.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

World of Darkness never gets any love :p

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not as blatant of an example of a D&D comic, but I would say Pieces of Eight certainly qualifies. It's a pirate comic (if you couldn't tell from the title) that reads like a campaign combining elements of 4th edition and Pathfinder.