New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    A266: Yes, it's more or less invisible (it does not have all the rules implications of strict invisibility, though). Unlike invisibility, there seems to be no provision that attacks made from concealment automatically inform the defender of the attacker's square; however, the ability only functions when the mastiff is actually within shadows of some kind. Finally, as an Su ability, its activation seems to be a standard action.
    Q266 Follow-up/clarification

Thank you for the answer tuggyne, but I really want to make this crystal-clear for myself until I put one of these monsters against my players:
    My players are in a dungeon. There is no sunlight. One of these attack the PCs. The PCs will not see their opponent at all unless they cast Daylight. It's absolutely impossible to see the Shadow Mastiff. They can only hear it and, perhaps, determine it's square by rolling a listen check DC 20. The Shadow Mastiff can freely annihilate the PCs unless they attack its square and/or cast Daylight and kill it. The Shadow Mastiff will not appear when it moves or attacks.

Please tell me if I have missed something.

EDIT: I found the resolution.
    You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. A successful attack into a square occupied by an enemy with total concealment has a 50% miss chance (instead of the normal 20% miss chance for an opponent with concealment).
    Bolding is mine. Ahhh, that was easy... Sorry.
    Last edited by Jon_Dahl; 2013-06-25 at 01:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q268: Where can I find rules on how much it costs to hire something with class levels? Not just get them to cast a single spell, and not hire something like a porter or cook, but, for example, a level 5 fighter? I can't seem to find it in the DMG.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 268

There is no list of prices for hiring such nonplayer characters. Because you're talking about player character levels, advanced NPCs are at the DM's discretion, not simply available from a list of hirelings. Only their specific skills, such as spellcasting, may be hired.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Firbolg in the Playground

A268 Rebuttal.

The Arms and Equipment Guide has prices and a chart for hiring mercenaries on pages 65-66.

Edit Excerpt:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The PCs could also hire a leader with levels in
    fighter, assuming that such mercenaries are even
    available in the area. It costs 1 gp per day to hire a 1stlevel
    fighter mercenary leader, and the cost increases
    by 2 gp per additional level.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-06-25 at 07:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 268 Rebuttal
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    The Arms and Equipment Guide has prices and a chart for hiring mercenaries on pages 65-66.
    Arms and Equipment Guide is a 3.0 rules book. I know of no corresponding price list for 3.5 rules.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Banned

Devil

Q269
    According to the SRD; "If you spend 1 additional power point, this power’s duration is 1 hour rather than concentration. If you spend 2 additional power points, this power’s duration is 1 day rather than concentration. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power’s duration is 1 day per manifester level rather than concentration."

Is this "additional power points" cumulative (i.e for day/level 7+1+2+4, or is it simply PP Cost (7) + Cost of Extended duration; i.e 4 for day/level)?
    Last edited by Vaz; 2013-06-25 at 08:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Q 270

Question about Spellscales and the Blood Quickening Ritual (Tiamat): am I reading it correct that for an area effect spells, you must pick only one creature in the area to take the additional 2d6 damage?

8. - Top - End - #548

A269: It is not cumulative.

Quote Originally Posted by Expanded Psionics Handbook, pg 69
    Many powers can be augmented in more than one way. When the Augment section contains numbered paragraphs, you need to spend power points separately for each of the numbered options.
    Based on the above, it sounds like using two different augmentation options (like additional targets and extended duration) provides a cumulative cost, but if you're just choosing a longer duration, you simply spend the base power points plus the number listed in the "If you spend X additional power points..." clause corresponding to the duration you'd prefer.

A270: Yes, the spell only does damage to the selected creature (and only if that creature is good). Clarified below. Ask your DM. While the text specifies that you must select one creature, it does not specify if the added effect only applies to that creature. Instead, it merely stipulates that if the creature you choose is good, the spell deals extra damage. It does not specify that it only deals extra damage to the chosen creature, but different DMs may interpret that differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Races of the Dragon, pg 25
    When he casts a spell, he can choose any creature targeted by or within the area of that spell. If the selected creature is good, the spell deals 2d6 points of damage to it in addition to the spell's normal effects.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-06-26 at 05:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    A270: Ask your DM. While the text specifies that you must select one creature, it does not specify if the added effect only applies to that creature. Instead, it merely stipulates that if the creature you choose is good, the spell deals extra damage. It does not specify that it only deals extra damage to the chosen creature, but different DMs may interpret that differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Races of the Dragon, pg 25
    When he casts a spell, he can choose any creature targeted by or within the area of that spell. If the selected creature is good, the spell deals 2d6 points of damage to it in addition to the spell's normal effects.
    A270 dispute: The text is actually quite clear, given the section bolded in your quote: it does extra damage to the selected creature, and no more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

10. - Top - End - #550

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    A270 dispute: The text is actually quite clear, given the section bolded in your quote: it does extra damage to the selected creature, and no more.
    Thanks for the clarification--missed those two important words. Answer edited above.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 271

Once taking Racial substitution levels, am I then forced to take them all at higher levels or can I optionally take an ACF?

For example.

Starting at Halfling Rogue and taking the first Substitution level but taking an ACF for Trapsense instead of the one offered by the Substitution?

1st level - Ranged sneak attack
    3rd level - Penetrating Strike instead of Thief's Luck?

Or am I forced to take Thief's Luck?
    Last edited by Gargravarr; 2013-06-26 at 07:04 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Q272 Can an undead drop its immunity to negative levels?

Q273 Is there a way to be immune to charisma damage? Lacking that cheap/easy ways of restoring it?
    Last edited by thethird; 2013-06-26 at 07:06 AM.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

A 271: No. From Races of the Wild, p 155.

A character need not take all the substitution levels provided for a class. For instance, a halfl ing rogue might decide to take only the racial substitution level at 1st level, ignoring the other substitution levels.
    A 272: Yes. From the SRD:

Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw
    A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.
    Note that undead are immune to energy drain (which grants negative levels), not to negative levels themselves. Energy Drain is not the only mechanic to gain a negative level. For example, an evil undead attempting to wield a holy weapon receives a negative level, to which they are not immune.

A 273: Yes. The List of Stuff indicates several means to gain immunity to ability damage:

Immunity to Ability Damage/Drain
    Warforged Juggernaut 5, ecl 10, Eberron Campaign Setting
    Bone Knight 8, ecl 12, Eberron: Five Nations - plus other immunities
    Pale Master 10, ecl 15, Libris Mortis, ability drain only

Items from Magic Item Compendium that protect or heal ability damage
    1] Scarab of invulnerability
    2] orb of mental renewal
    3] Rod of bodily restoration
    4] Talisman of undying fortitude
    5] Wraith's woe set
    6] Caduceus bracers
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-06-26 at 07:50 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q274

Amount of treasure for adult black dragon

Treasure amount for CR 11 (adult black is CR 11) is 7500 and for dragons its thrice normal - does that mean that adult black gets 22.500 gp for his treasure?

Also, how do I calculate this if dragon takes PC levels?
    Last edited by Balor01; 2013-06-26 at 07:53 AM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

A 274: On average, yes. Note that the treasure table you linked is an average treasure per encounter. Not all creatures will receive treasure (For example, a CR 11 Air Elemental), and some receive additional.

The CR 11 black dragon has an average of 22,500 gp in its hoard, divided between coins, gems/art, and magical items as you see fit. You can roll three times on the CR 11 entry of the Treasure Table or determine the treasure as you see fit.

If the dragon takes PC levels, the easiest way is to determine the CR of the modified creature and use the treasure table to determine either the average value of the treasure or roll on the appropriate entry for that CR.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 275 Could an undead be affected by a spell/effect that requires a fort save but normally only affects creatures (i.e. not objects)?

Q 276 How would a major positive-dominant plane affect undead?

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Major positive-dominant planes go even further. A creature on a major positive-dominant plane must make a DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid being blinded for 10 rounds by the brilliance of the surroundings. Simply being on the plane grants fast healing 5 as an extraordinary ability. In addition, those at full hit points gain 5 additional temporary hit points per round. These temporary hit points fade 1d20 rounds after the creature leaves the major positive-dominant plane. However, a creature must make a DC 20 Fortitude save each round that its temporary hit points exceed its normal hit point total. Failing the saving throw results in the creature exploding in a riot of energy, killing it.
    Would the undead gain the temporary hp but risk non of the dangers?
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

17. - Top - End - #557

Q277

How much does Item Familiar help with a single skill from level 4-15 with a +0 Int mod?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Q278

Is WBL based on hit dice, class level or ECL?

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

19. - Top - End - #559

RogueGuy

Q 279

Is the following price calculation correct?

+1 dagger of returning and distance

=

dagger = 302gp
    +1 enhancement 2000gp
    +1 bonus returning 2000gp
    +1 bonus distance 2000gp

= 6302gp?

or is the base price 18000gp because it's effectively a +3 weapon?

seems awfully expensive this way...

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gargravarr View Post
    Q 279

Is the following price calculation correct?

+1 dagger of returning and distance

=

dagger = 302gp
    +1 enhancement 2000gp
    +1 bonus returning 2000gp
    +1 bonus distance 2000gp

= 6302gp?

or is the base price 18000gp because it's effectively a +3 weapon?

seems awfully expensive this way...
    A 279
    The total would be 18302 gp.

The dagger itself: 302 gp
    The total enchantment is +3, which adds: +18302 gp

Yes, it is rather pricey.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

21. - Top - End - #561

A 279:

The latter method. The cost for magic weapons scales up exponentially as you stack on the enchantments. You generally only want to take what you absolutely need. If you intend to focus heavily on weapons, you should look into Weapon Augment Crystals, which are generally more limited, but cheaper.

For instance, on that particular dagger, you could add on a Greater Crystal of Return, to give it the Returning property, along with a few other goodies, for just 4k.

22. - Top - End - #562

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gem View Post
    A 279:

The latter method. The cost for magic weapons scales up exponentially as you stack on the enchantments. You generally only want to take what you absolutely need. If you intend to focus heavily on weapons, you should look into Weapon Augment Crystals, which are generally more limited, but cheaper.

For instance, on that particular dagger, you could add on a Greater Crystal of Return, to give it the Returning property, along with a few other goodies, for just 4k.
    Thanks for the tip!

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gem View Post
    You forget an important part of the cost. To accept a greater weapon crystal, the weapon must be a real +3 weapon (not only costing as much as +3). Thus you pay actually 4k more than the above method, but you get a +3 returning dagger, no distance though.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63 View Post
    Q278

Is WBL based on hit dice, class level or ECL?
    A 278
    WBL is based on ECL, though naturally for non-monster characters ECL, HD, and character level will all be the same. Per the SRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level
    Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.
    (Emphasis mine)
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-06-26 at 02:35 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

25. - Top - End - #565

A275: Undead are immune to effects that require Fort saves and do not work on objects (unless the effect is harmless).

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual, pg 317
    Undead type...Immunity to any effect that requires a Fort save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    A276: Based on the above, it seems your reading is correct. From the same source quoted above, the fast healing and temporary HP still take effect, but undead creatures do not risk blindness or explosion since both require fort saves and do not affect objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual, pg 317
    The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature's Intelligence score.
    A277: The answer depends on the number of skill points you attain and invest into the item familiar. This bonus is limited by the number of ranks you have in a skill (up to max ranks). Therefore, at level 4 the maximum bonus you could get in a skill where you already have max ranks is +7, and at level 15 the maximum bonus you could get in a skill where you already have max ranks would be +18. The relevant rule text is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed Arcana, pg 171
    Whenever a character with an item familiar gains skill points, she may choose to put some or all of those skill points into her item familiar. She assigns the skill points normally, but notes that they now reside in the item familiar. For every 3 ranks she assigns to the item familiar, she gains a +1 bonus that she can apply to any single skill. This bonus can be applied to a skill in which she already has maximum ranks. She can apply multiple bonuses to the same skill, but she may not have more points of bonus in a skill than she has ranks.
    A278 citation If your DM is a stickler for printed sources vs the SRD, direct his or her attention to the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon Master's Guide, pg 172
    Also use ECL with Table 5-1: Character Wealth by Level to determine starting wealth for a monster character.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Q280
    Does the hostile tingle you feel when successfully saving vs a nondamaging effect only apply to spells? Or does it also apply to spell like abilities? What about supernatural abilities?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 280
    Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)

Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name.
    A Spell-like ability which offers a saving throw will work just like the spell when it comes to whether the target "feels a hostile force or tingle" on successfully saving. If your game uses Rule Compendium, that book extends the "feels a hostile force or tingle" treatment to cover all saving throws (see page 112), not just those from spells (and, by extension, Spell-like abilities); that would necessarily include Supernatural abilities with saves.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

A 278 addendum:

Hit dice and character level are synonymous. The former is typically used for monsters and the latter typically for players, but a character will always have exactly one hit die per level, and vice-versa.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

29. - Top - End - #569

RogueGuy

Q 281

If buying magic gloves with some effect that is activated through a swift action, would I need to buy two seperate gloves so the off-hand attack benefits from the effect as well?

Also...if I'd need two gloves, I therefore need 2 swift actions to activate both, so 2 rounds? *scratches head*

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Q 281 inquiry

This is something that greatly depends on the text of the item so could you give us a specific item you have questions about.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-06-26 at 06:48 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me