New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIII

A 390

No, it never mentions the entangle spell so just use the entangled condition.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

A 390
    No and No. The check to escape from the Entangle spell is only a part of the Entangle spell, not the entangled condition itself; each effect that causes entangling will have its own means of escaping it listed in its own rules, if any.

Entangling Exhalation also does not offer a save; if you take damage from the breath, you are entangled, regardless of whether or not you saved against the Entangling breath attack itself. (Exception: If the breath attack is Save Negates or you have Evasion or similar ability such that a successful save means you took no damage, then you don't get entangled either.)

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Thanks but I'm not seeing where this details the why of those effects not having an aura though. Unless I'm missing it.
    Consider the wording of detect magic itself for a bit:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Detect Magic
    You detect magical auras. […]
    Aura Strength
    An aura’s power depends on a spell’s functioning spell level or an item’s caster level. If an aura falls into more than one category, detect magic indicates the stronger of the two.
    {table=head]Spell or Object|{colsp=4}Aura Power
    |Faint|Moderate|Strong|Overwhelming
    Functioning spell (spell level)|3rd or lower|4th-6th|7th-9th|10th+ (deity-level)
    Magic item (caster level)|5th or lower|6th-11th|12th-20th|21st+ (artifact)[/table]

Lingering Aura
    A magical aura lingers after its original source dissipates (in the case of a spell) or is destroyed (in the case of a magic item). If detect magic is cast and directed at such a location, the spell indicates an aura strength of dim (even weaker than a faint aura).
    Because an instantaneous spell/power is no longer functioning (the energy has come and gone), detect magic can only detect the dim lingering aura; for wall of stone, this would last for 1d6 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #784
    Firbolg in the Playground

Consider the wording of detect magic itself for a bit:
    snip
    Lingering Aura
    A magical aura lingers after its original source dissipates (in the case of a spell) or is destroyed (in the case of a magic item). If detect magic is cast and directed at such a location, the spell indicates an aura strength of dim (even weaker than a faint aura).
    Because an instantaneous spell/power is no longer functioning (the energy has come and gone), detect magic can only detect the dim lingering aura; for wall of stone, this would last for 1d6 minutes.
    Thank you, thank you. Much appreciated. I suspected the solution was squirreled away in the Detect magic rules but honestly I was finishing my first college homework in almost 10 years and didn't take the time to check.

I appreciate each of your assistance greatly.

Edit:
    Q391

Is this appropriate grounds for allowing the spell Animate Objects to animate Quintessence?

Esp. as it can be held and excepting that it doesn't have hp/hardness.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-07-07 at 05:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Re: Q 391

It is an object and it is non-magical. The trick is defining how much of it is a single object, which i really don't know.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

6. - Top - End - #786

It is an object and it is non-magical. The trick is defining how much of it is a single object, which i really don't know.
    Oh crud! It doesn't have a listed weight does it?
    Is there an analogue for "thick gooey material" already that does have a weight? Maybe Tanglefoot goo?

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Oh crud! It doesn't have a listed weight does it?
    Is there an analogue for "thick gooey material" already that does have a weight? Maybe Tanglefoot goo?
    Actually from the power description I think it has a weight of 1 ounce or 1/16 lb to a 1 in. diameter bead.

Edit: I think this issue is complex enough that it should be discussed in your thread
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-07-07 at 06:09 PM.

Current avatar by me

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 391 No.

Liquids (including gooey liquids), fine solids (such as flour), and gases are not treated as D&D objects in the rules. A container holding a liquid is an object. So you would first need to get the quintessence into a container.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 391 No.

Liquids (including gooey liquids), fine solids (such as flour), and gases are not treated as D&D objects in the rules. A container holding a liquid is an object. So you would first need to get the quintessence into a container.
    A 391 contention

Please cite where that is stated.

I can cite something that doesn't make that distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Nonabilities...

Charisma

Any creature capable of telling the difference between itself and things that are not itself has at least 1 point of Charisma. Anything with no Charisma score is an object, not a creature. Anything without a Charisma score also has no Wisdom score.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-07-07 at 06:41 PM.

Current avatar by me

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 391 contention
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    Please cite where that is stated.
    While the game doesn't provide a definition of "object", the use of the term in context does provide some relevant information. See Player's Handbook, pages 165-167.
    The words “character” and creature” are often used synonymously within these rules, since almost any creature could be a character within the game, and every character is a creature (as opposed to an object).
    Because creatures and objects are always separate categories for in-game effects, anything that qualifies as a creature, including Undead and Constructs, is not an object. A corpse, therefore, is an object — but not if that corpse is a Zombie. A skeleton, if it's bare of flesh but still connected by ligaments, is also an object — but again, not if that Skeleton is Undead. The D&D Plant type refers to living creatures, but non-creature plants are living objects instead.

Context also tells us that individual components of an object do not in themselves qualify as separate objects (for targeting, magic, or other purposes). You can try to Sunder a bow, but you don't get to attack just the bowstring. A bow is a listed D&D object, while the string component of the bow is not; you can't target the "easy" parts to break something more easily than by overcoming the listed hardness and hit points. (An exception: walls are statted in sections rather than in their entirety.) The skeleton inside a corpse is not a separate object. Generally speaking, if you can pick up something and move it in one piece, it's an object. If you need tools to disassemble it first, its individual elements are not.

Other things that aren't considered D&D objects are the ground, fluids (liquids and gases), ice that's attached to anything, and magical forces. We know this because you can only buy fluids in containers, and you can only target them in containers (or, for particular spells, in a designated space
    that serves in lieu of a container). If you need a container to hold it, it's generally not an individually targetable object.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0
    I can cite something that doesn't make that distinction.
    "Anything with no Charisma score is an object, not a creature." All you've done is find a quote grouping creatures and objects as "things". That fails to provide any categorization for all the rest of the world not distinguishable as any individual thing: the ground, air, water, forest, and so on.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

Re:Re: A 391 contention

I deeply apologize for playing devil's advocate here but where is it written that fluids can't count as objects.

Also thing is a very ill defined term with many definitions.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-07-07 at 07:43 PM.

Current avatar by me

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 392:

By RAW, is it possible to prepare and cast an Empowered Simulacrum Spell that creates copies with 75 % of the original's HD or levels?

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

A 392

No - Empower Spell only affects variable effects of spells - the 1/2 HD/levels condition of Simulacrum is a set number, not a variable.

Empower Spell [Metamagic]
    Benefit
    All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half.

Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. An empowered spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

Q 393

If a creature is attacked underwater by an Aboleth, what sort of modifiers is the Aboleth subject to for attacking underwater?

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

A 393

Since an Aboleth has a swim speed it is only subject to a -2 to hit with its tentacles and deals half damage with them. A full list of underwater combat modifiers can be found here.

Current avatar by me

16. - Top - End - #796
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 394

Google Fu is failing me...

Is it possible to "trade away" the Poison Use ability for anything else?

17. - Top - End - #797
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q 395
    So, my PC've got some monster on his hands and I can't figure out what exactly it is.
    It's at least Large, if not Huge, it've got four pincers, a long, thin body and two eyes, probably (but not necessarily) on eyestalks. Its reach (at least, with pincers) is 25 ft and it've got some sort of charm ability to lure its prey with some sort of melody.
    What is this thing? It has some similarities with Siege Crab, but it's not one. Is this monster in one of the rulebooks, or did our DM just homebrew it?

18. - Top - End - #798
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 394

Nope.

A 395 clarification

What level are you? That'll help narrow it down.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

A 395

Try making a Knowledge check.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #800

MindFlayer

q 305
    I've failed the knowledge check already

And I'm not sure that the DM wouldn't fetch a 20 ECL monster at our half-dead 3-level party. He really loves to give us "Save-Or-Die" situations (they're half-dead because they all failed a DC 15 check on a not-very-popular skill XDD ).
    The PCs've encountered in a watery-cavey enviropment, my guess that it's either a Magical Beast, or an Aberration (through, I wouldn't throw away an "Outsider" version, especially an evil one )

21. - Top - End - #801

RogueGuy

Q 396

Are books like Oriental Adventures and Drow of the Underdark considered Campaign Setting Books just like Forgotten Realms or Ebberon are under 3.5? I need an argument to use OA for a DM that put a ''Campaign Setting books ban'' :/
    Last edited by Gargravarr; 2013-07-08 at 06:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 396

Drow of the Underdark is a "generic" book, as it doesn't bear a campaign setting label.

Oriental Adventures is kind of tricky; it's explicitly the combination of a campaign setting and a sort-of update of the old Oriental Adventures book. The author refers to Rokugan as a "featured" setting in the introduction, with the intent being that you can cherry-pick material as you like. It also tells in the character creation synopsis to check with your DM to find out what material they're using from the book.

So, yeah, it's an "ask-your-DM" situation.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 397
    How is Level Adjustment (via race or template) applied to gestalt characters? Does the LA apply to one or both of the gestalt character's classes?

Q 398
    Can the spell Nystul's Magic Aura be used to make a person or object register to Detect Good or Detect Evil? For example, could I use it on a Silent Image to make the Image register as evil?

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfMadness View Post
    Q 397
    How is Level Adjustment (via race or template) applied to gestalt characters? Does the LA apply to one or both of the gestalt character's classes?
    A 397

Gestalt is not a full ruleset. Rather, it is a set of guidelines and suggested houserules. Any answer would depend on how the DM is implementing those suggestions with regard to LA. In short, ask your DM.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

A 398: For items, yes, for people, no, for illusions, no.

Magic Aura reads as follows:

You alter an item’s aura so that it registers to detect spells (and spells with similar capabilities) as though it were nonmagical, or a magic item of a kind you specify, or the subject of a spell you specify.
    Neither creatures nor illusions are objects, and so cannot be targeted by the spell. You would have to pick a specific kind of item for which you want the aura to replicate, so if you pick an item that radiates good or evil, the item with magic aura would replicate the same.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

Q399Is there any way to break the cl cap of any spell?

Q400 Is there a feat similar to practiced spellcaster that works on Sla or Su abilities?
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2013-07-08 at 10:36 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Q399Is there any way to break the cl cap of any spell?
    A 399
    The feat Reserves of Strength, from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, allows you to exceed the normal caster level cap of spells by up to 3 caster levels in exchange for being stunned for a commensurate number of rounds.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-07-08 at 10:43 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

28. - Top - End - #808

Q401

Can Eternal Wands (MIC159) be created at higher Caster Levels?

Q402

What would the price for an Eternal Wand of Chain Missile (44) be at CL 20?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-07-09 at 02:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 395
    Quote Originally Posted by CountAile View Post
    I've failed the knowledge check already
    Then I'm afraid you're outside the scope of what the Rules As Written can do for you.

A 400 No.

There's Practiced Manifester for psionic powers, but nothing along the lines you're looking for.

A 401 No.

There is no general formula provided in the rules for eternal wand creation. Instead, you can only get what's specified on the table.

A 402 N/A.

30. - Top - End - #810

RogueGuy

Q 403

Does the Skill Knowledge Feat from UA make a class skill stay a class skill when multiclassing into classes that don't have the chosen class skill in the first place?

Instead of choosing two class skills, you may choose one cross-class skill (whether you already know it or not) and learn it, treating it as a class skill from that point forward.
    To me it misses a multiclassing clause...