Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default OOC: The Sky Island

Recruit thread here:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283309

Can someone repost the table of char sheets? It is really helpful.

Some house rules that I plan to use:

Since healing is limited in this setting, I will let you heal your CON score (not bonus) during 8 hours of restful sleep. A competent heal check will double this, but then the healer must stay up to attend you and does not get any rest themself.

I'll be using batch initiatives for monsters. It makes asynchronous combat less confusing.

I plan to post about 1/day (with some exceptions--- I have work trips coming up, but I'll tell you in advance). If we're in a combat scene and you don't post, I will treat your action as "delay" unless you leave other instructions.

I usually follow the rules, but in edge cases, I reserve the right to make a ruling I feel is sensible and fair, regardless of what the books say. Go ahead and question or challenge my decisions if you feel they're problematic, but don't make a legal case out of it.

I suggest you start out by introducing your characters to one another, then come up with a plan to cross the desert. Check the SRD for harsh environment rules: traveling 8 hours a night, you could make it in just over two days of horseback travel without making fatigue rolls. Traveling more would invoke the forced march rules. If you travel during the hottest 8 hours of daylight, you will also need to make saves against the heat.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOC: The Sky Island

Table as requested.

{TABLE]Player|Character|Class(s)|Sheet
    Miffed Sheep|Xuan the Houseless|Stony Neraphim/Ranger//Warlock/Scout|WIP
    Blueiji|??|??|??
    Malak'ai|Abd'Gadban|Barbarian//Rogue|Complete
    chaotic stupid|??|??|??
    Yas392|Neil Sturmfoot|Fighter/Monk//Rogue/Ranger/Dark|WIP
    Nightraiderx|Lather Gin|Monk//Rogue/Fighter|WIP
    Elemental|Levon Avakian|Paladin//Ranger|Complete
    Cdr.Fallout|Sharif al-Amin|Scout//Fighter|WIP
    Emperor Tippy|Alexis Akkarin|Factotum//Dark/Monk |Complete[/TABLE]

I'll post IC a little later. I think Gadban will speak in the colour of the burnt sand dunes.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2013-06-02 at 10:38 PM.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Doh, made a mistake. I forgot the synergy bonuses for Diplomacy. Add +2 from five ranks in Sense Motive. So 23 on the Diplomacy roll.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Purple: Testing...1,2,3

EDIT: Will post after I get my story done.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-06-02 at 11:23 PM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I claimed Blue

And Alexis can walk at 5 miles per hour (40 per day) without any issue.

That means that I can scout ahead at 4.5 mph (1.5 mph or so faster than the rest of the party) with only a -5 on my hide and Move Silently checks

So that would be +23/+21 on those.

Pity I didn't have the available feat to pick up a familiar. Maybe in the future.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Any objections to Levon speaking in Indigo?

Edit: Too close to Purple. I'll go for Navy instead.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2013-06-03 at 01:28 AM.
    Merry Happy New Year!

Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Nightmare by Smuchmuch. (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Doh, made a mistake. I forgot the synergy bonuses for Diplomacy. Add +2 from five ranks in Sense Motive. So 23 on the Diplomacy roll.
    Since it's practically standard here, I forgot to mention, but I also use the Giant's diplomacy fix rather than the standard diplo table.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Question, can I take the Cobra Strike monk variant instead?

I had completely forgotten that it existed but it fits the character concept I have so much better (and it's not like dodge/mobility/spring attack is anything to write home about).
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Question, can I take the Cobra Strike monk variant instead
    Sure.

And Alexis can walk at 5 miles per hour (40 per day) without any issue.
    Are you sure? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#overlandMovement states that a character can *walk* for 8 hours without problems, but this is assessed at only half your combat (hustle) speed.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ataraxian View Post
    Sure.
    Thanks, I'll go make the change.

Are you sure? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#overlandMovement states that a character can *walk* for 8 hours without problems, but this is assessed at only half your combat (hustle) speed.
    Look at what hustle is, it's using a Move+Standard action to move. Alexis has a hustle speed of 100 ft. His walk speed is 50 ft.

Also, look at the overland movement chart at the top of that page. Every 10 additional feet in base speed is an extra 8 miles per day (4 miles per 5 feet). Alexis is 50 base movement so has 40 miles as overland movement.

So at 45 ft. movement (to only take the -5 penalty to hide instead of the -20 for full speed) he can travel 34 miles per day (or 4.25 mph). That is enough to keep constantly scouting two thousand or so feet ahead of the party without any issue.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, the math checks out. I'd been adding the +!0 speed from shadow but forgetting the +10 from monk.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Can I change my Wild Talent feat to Hidden Talent and thus flit the order they are taken in (Hidden Talent needs to be taken at level 1).

Zeph Cenobite fits my build plan better than Psionic Fist and the only reason I did Wild Talent instead of Hidden Talent is that Psionic Fist has Wild Talent as a prerequisite while Zeph Cenobite just has 2 PP as it's prerequisite.

My current plan is Factotum 5/ Mindbender 1/Factotum 14//Monk 6/Zeph Cenobite 1/Elocater 1/Shadowdancer 1/Monk 11

It let's me pick up a few more "wizard" abilities (3 first level powers total and 5 PP with an ML of 2 along with 1/day extra move action and the primary reason for the two level+1 feat dip, Scorn Earth) and lets me make Alexis fill the scout/skirmisher/assassin role better.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not sure I understand how this is supposed to work. As I understand it, you need "Kung Fu genius" before your first level of monk (that is, at level 1), you need Hidden Talent at level 1, and you have only one feat at level 1 (because we're not using flaws). Presumably I have forgotten some important detail.

At any rate, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Are you worried about being unable to contribute? Your character seems pretty capable of their chosen role to me, but if you feel as though you are lagging after we play an encounter or two, we can always revise things then.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ataraxian View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how this is supposed to work. As I understand it, you need "Kung Fu genius" before your first level of monk (that is, at level 1), you need Hidden Talent at level 1, and you have only one feat at level 1 (because we're not using flaws). Presumably I have forgotten some important detail.
    You had said one flaw.

At any rate, I'm not sure what the big deal is. Are you worried about being unable to contribute? Your character seems pretty capable of their chosen role to me, but if you feel as though you are lagging after we play an encounter or two, we can always revise things then.
    It doesn't change my builds power that much at all but it fits with the basic theme/idea of my build a lot better.

The only reason for Psionic Fist/Zeph Cenobite is that I need it to qualify for Elocater. The reason for Elocater is Scorn Earth. The reason for Wild Talent is that I had forgotten Zeph Cenobite had existed when I was putting my build together and Hidden Talent doesn't meet Psionic Fist's prerequisites.

The end result is a grand total of 3 first level psionic powers, a PP pool of 4, an ML of 2, Scorn Earth, and the ability to once per day take take an additional move action on my turn. For this I would have invested one feat and two levels.

The Shadowdancer bit will cost me another feat and will get my a superior version of Hide in Plain Sight (I already have the Dark version).

The Mindbender dip is for 30 ft. telepathy and another feat will be spent for Mindsight (that will come online at 8th or twelfth level depending on where I put Darkstalker).

Leaving Wild Talent at 4th level works and all it costs me is one first level power and is conceptually less elegant (and thus offends my sensibilities ;).

If you aren't ok with me flipping it then that is fine.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

I apologize for being insufficiently clear; you must have misunderstood. We are not using flaws.

On another note, are you any further toward making a plan? Tippy seems to be proposing that you spend two days traveling to the Sky Island, riding or walking 40 miles each night, with Alexis as scout. Other people should weigh in.

Before you set out, everyone may as well post reactive spot and listen rolls and initiative... this will save time.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am doing a flip over of the class abilities (although story will stay the same). I decided on being a NE incarnate/crusader and am using necrocarnum circlet to obtain myself a drakkensteed incarnate undead mount. That being said, there is a feat at lvl 6 called undead leadership. I don't intend on having alot of followers (if any), but what I would like to do is to assign my drakkensteed nercrocarnate undead to be my cohort. Would making the drakkensteed my cohort allow him to gain levels two levels behind me? and in short would allow him to take class levels past his racial HD?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds like a good plan to me. Alexis has the highest speed and is the best at moving unseen and his spot skill isn't bad either.
    If we travel at night, we won't need protection from the heat of the sun, merely the cold of the night and that's much easier to deal with. However, if we do end up having to travel during the day, I can prepare Endure Elements and cast it on those who need it most. But let's hope it doesn't come to that because I'd rather use one of my spell slots to laugh at the Sun's feeble attempts to dehydrate us.
    Unless my calculations at how much water I get from that spell are inaccurate. I only vaguely remember them...
    Merry Happy New Year!

Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

From the SRD:

Starvation And Thirst

Characters might find themselves without food or water and with no means to obtain them. In normal climates, Medium characters need at least a gallon of fluids and about a pound of decent food per day to avoid starvation. (Small characters need half as much.) In very hot climates, characters need two or three times as much water to avoid dehydration.

A character can go without water for 1 day plus a number of hours equal to his Constitution score. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each hour (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

A character can go without food for 3 days, in growing discomfort. After this time, the character must make a Constitution check each day (DC 10, +1 for each previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

Characters who have taken nonlethal damage from lack of food or water are fatigued. Nonlethal damage from thirst or starvation cannot be recovered until the character gets food or water, as needed—not even magic that restores hit points heals this damage.

Bolded the relevant part. So about 3 gallons of water per person/per day if we are forced to travel through the day... That's a lot of weight.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Well... I can make four gallons, or just over fifteen litres, which is fifteen kilograms (yay, easy conversions!) or about thirty-three pounds. That's only enough water for one person.
    So, in short, I didn't remember my calculations accurately. Either that, or I was basing them off different figures. Ignore me, I don't really know what I'm doing.
    Merry Happy New Year!

Dragons!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a mule named Bob and he is carrying 3 clay jugs (that can easily be filled with water) and five waterskins (along with a bunch of food).

Alexis is all for nighttime travel as the dark really doesn't bother him pretty much at all.

Have the Paladins bird fly along to keep in contact with one another and relay messages.

Alexis to can use Endure Elements the next day if he needs to.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I decided on being a NE incarnate/crusader and am using necrocarnum circlet to obtain myself a drakkensteed incarnate undead mount
    I really don't think this fits the low-magic tone of the campaign. Flight, raising the dead, and the assumption that dead dragon-like creatures are readily available are all contrary to the kind of world I think we're envisioning.

I have a mule named Bob and he is carrying 3 clay jugs (that can easily be filled with water) and five waterskins (along with a bunch of food).
    A mule isn't quite as fast as a horse, but this seems reasonable to me. The Duchess will give you enough water to start with the jars and waterskins full if you like.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys, just thought I better let you know that I most likely wont be very much for the next week or so. My Aunty passed away at 6.06pm this evening after an extremely long battle with cancer.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    Hey guys, just thought I better let you know that I most likely wont be very much for the next week or so. My Aunty passed away at 6.06pm this evening after an extremely long battle with cancer.
    That sucks, sorry for your loss.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    You have my condolences.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Take as long as you need to.
    Merry Happy New Year!

Dragons!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

My condolences as well.

As I said, I have some work trips this summer; I probably won't be able to post during the next week. Don't worry, I haven't abandoned the game... I'll get back to it when I return.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright people, I'm back. Thank you for all your good wishes and kind words. It was much appreciated.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Ok. Finally back. Let's do this:

Read only once the encounter is over:
    Spoiler
    Show

initiative 1 : (1d20+3)[8] (feats: initiative, wp foc)
    initiative 2: (1d20+1)[17]

block 1 initial target (Gadban/Neil/Lather/Levon/horse or mule)
    (1d5)[5]

surprise round attack (partial charge, ac-2)
    (1d20+12)[20]
    damage (1d8+8)[9]

surprise round attack (partial charge, ac-2)
    (1d20+4)[11]
    damage (3d6+3)[11]

(3 more critters in block 2 move in the surprise round but do not attack)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Obviously, I should have remembered to prepare charm animal.
    Actually... I should have remembered to prepare spells in the first place.
    Merry Happy New Year!

Dragons!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Just to be clear, I expected people to post actions as well as initiative rolls. Go ahead and post even if it's not your turn; I'll resolve the action when it *is* your turn. If your action depends on what happens, post conditionally-- "if this happens, on my turn, I do this. Otherwise, something else."

More rolls as the bad guys take their turn:
    Spoiler
    Show

attack 1: (1d20+10)[17]
    dmg (1d8+8)[14]

att 2: (1d20+4)[8]
    dmg (3d6+3)[15]

target (1d5)[5]

att 3: (1d20+6)[20] (charge)
    dmg (3d6+3)[16]

targ (1d6)[4]

att 4: (1d20+6)[20] (charge)