Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+8)[23]
    Perception: (1d20+1)[12]

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: In the Woods, in the Woods [IC]

Dylan scales the broken wall to get a better vantage point and follows the party on the roofs where possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception (d20+8)[9]
    Stealth (d20+4)[13]
    Acrobatics where applicable (d20+9)[29]

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia is Felica, thus is quiet.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+2)[6]
    Perception: (1d20+3)[5]

But the rolls disagree :V
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2013-09-03 at 10:38 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

Slowly, the party creeps around the edge of the city, keeping close to the wall. Occasionally the sound of a distant bray or roar echoes through the empty streets, but it is a long time before anything enters sight. As you creep up the eastern side of the city, the giant structure of the Arena looms into view. Less than twenty-four hours ago, Laucien won his money here for catching the march hare. You slink quietly northwards past the arena, up into the warehouses of north-east side. The streets between the warehouses are wide open, to accommodate the wagons and carts that pulled goods through this area. It is on the crossroards of two wide streets that Laucien hears something, and puts an arm out to stop the party before they can burst into the middle of the street.

A large, brutish-looking creature is limping as fast as it can up the other road on two thick, hairy legs ending in cloven hooves. It seems to be trying to stay out of sight just as much as you are, clinging to the wall on one side of the road. In one hairy arm it carries a flint axe. Its head is contorted and animalistic, like a deformed donkey or a horse, with giant horns forcing their way out of it's forehead, and it's whole body is covered with coarse black fur and scraps of hide armour. It stands nearly eight feet tall. It's breathing is short and sharp, and it has a panicked look in it's eyes. It is only thirty feet up the street, and approaching the crossroad. So far, it appears not to have seen you.

Spoiler
    Show

In case it's relevant: the area in more detail.
    This is the crossroads of two wide roads, signposted as Tin Street North and Farcross Down Street West. The roads are almost twenty feet across, wide enough for several carts to pass at once. On either side are tall warehouses, grain silos, barns, and so on. The large cart-doors to them are closed, probably locked, but many of them have smaller personal doors made of strong wood. The walls of the warehouses are mainly grey smooth-ish stone, difficult to climb, up to wooden roofs starting to slope nearly sixty feet above the ground, and they have no windows. The street is made of smooth slabs of grey stone. With the sun still high in the sky, the area is well-lit.

Knowledge (Nature) checks can be made to recognise the creature. Heal checks to determine the state of it's wounds (with a penalty due to it being at range).

From here, you can't be more than ten minutes brisk walk from the Engineer's Guild.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

As soon as Laucian pointed out the creature, Kalaryn flattened herself against a warehouse wall. She felt a little disappointed about not noticing the danger herself. Perhaps she relied too much on Drask's scouting abilities. Because he was so good at spotting danger, she'd never felt the need to sharpen her own senses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+5)[25]
    Stealth: (1d20+0)[8]
    Last edited by Anyr; 2013-09-04 at 07:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

After halting the party, Laucian points out the creature walking down the road. Turning to the party he places his finger to his lips, indicating silence.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Nature: (1d20+11)[12]

Spoiler
    Show

Is it traveling away from us or towards us? I am assuming towards us. Is there a parallel street that we can move to to avoid the creature?

Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

None

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I step towards the creature and tilt my head to one side.

Spoiler
    Show
    (the alternate-rooster-sounding word appears to be starred out by some obscenity filter, which will be interesting when it comes to readying firearms...)

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal to determine injuries
    (d20+8)[14]

I think he's hurt!
    Last edited by Lerriano; 2013-09-04 at 12:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279

GnomePirate

"Now is the time for silence, my dear." Tettik whispers quietly, but not harshly. He is simply letting her know.

He studies the creature, trying to place it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature) - (1d20+10)[19]
    Stealth, again. (1d20+8)[27]

10. - Top - End - #280

At first, the monster appears surprised by Dylan stepping out into the street. It turns its head to look at her. But as she steps further forwards, it gives a wild roar, and charges clumsily forwards, swinging its giant stone axe in a vicious, heavy swing. The axe impacts with Dylan's arm, cutting through her armour and gashing at the skin below. The beast bellows triumphantly, and readies itself for another attack.

Knowledge checks for Tettik and Kalaryn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognise the creature from academic accounts of the forest and its denizens. This is a beastman, a vicious berserk warrior who's horns are used to gore its opponents.

Kalaryn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They are tribal creatures, and rarely encountered alone.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beastman attack roll: (1d20+7)[24] Damage: (1d8+3)[4]

The beastman's attack is the surprise round. Grab your combat hats and roll initiative!
    Last edited by HuskyBoi; 2013-09-06 at 09:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281

GnomePirate

Tettik yells, breaking cover. "No more hurting Gun-girl! She's way to likeable to kill off!" He readies himself for combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[13]

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

[I've failed.]

It was good that Kalaryn's father likely had many years ahead of him: Because his daughter clearly wasn't ready to take his place. How could she command the respect of a noble house, when she couldn't even handle a lone civilian? Despite all Kalaryn's efforts, Dylan was still a danger to everyone around her. She should never have allowed that girl to be part of this mission.

But self recrimination would have to wait. Right now she had a fight to win.

"We need to finish this quickly! The beastman's packmates may well be nearby!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[7]

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Err, guys! Someone yell in silly-van to make him stop! I only want to heeeeaaal hiiiiim!

I flick out my wrist, popping the pistol down into my hand, and promptly move back to the group.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Combat Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kalaryn will step into the open, and summon a Small Earth Elemental. If possible, she will interpose it between her allies and the Beastman. The Elemental will then charge the Beastman.

Slam: (1d20+9)[22]; Crit confirm: (1d20+9)[19]; Damage: (1d6+5)[7].

15. - Top - End - #285

GnomePirate

Tettik throws a bomb at the creature. "Its potential amnesty has been used up, as it has violated the peace accord. Therefore we should not avoid using lethal force to dispatch this creature as quickly as possible."

He says it all quietly, so as not to be accidentally overheard. Then he throws a loud explosive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack, vs Touch: (1d20+9)[11]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[11]

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian tries to grab Dylan's arm to keep her from moving into view, but is too slow. As the creature sees them and charges Laucian sighs, D***it Dylan!. Laucian will raise his bow, draw, and release his arrow. Once the arrow is away, Laucian will take a step backwards, away from the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+6)[24]
    Attack: (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage: (1d8)[7]

Show

None

17. - Top - End - #287

The beastman raises its axe high to swing and charge at Dylan, but before it can move, an arrow whizzes from behind cover. Laucian's shot fires straight and pierces deep into the beast's shoulder, making it bellow in pain. Even as it recovers, an explosion from Tettik's bomb shoots up just in front of it, not a direct hit but the shrapnel and fire still causes it to bellow some more. Felicia's tanglevine quickly darts through the fire to disarm it, but as the smoke and flames clear, you see the beast yank it's arm free of the vines, holding firmly onto the weapon. Bronsson fires a shot too, and the bullet clips the beast's already-injured leg. And it is then that the monster charges forwards to attack Dylan, swinging the axe in a wide arc that impacts with her arm. Dylan withdraws, drawing the coat pistol as she goes, and Kalaryn's elemental rises to face the beast, pounding it with it's stony fists. The beast and elemental square off against one another, and the fight continues.

But from somewhere, echoing roars and cries carry through the streets, as something responds to the beastman's bellowing...

Spoiler
    Show

Summary: Laucien hit, Tettik missed but dealt splash damage, Felicia didn't disarm, Bronsson gave it a small hit, the beast hits Dylan for 4 damage, Dylan withdraws and Kalaryn's elemental charges and hits.

The elemental and the beastman are still in the middle of the street, and I'm guessing everyone else is fairly near to the corner but has moved out a little to have line of sight. Apologies for not putting a map up, but they're a frustrating amount of work and I'm trying to save them for larger encounters.

Lerriano, I don't think I have an initiative roll from you- can you either point me to where it is or roll one if you haven't? I took the dice roll as 1 for this round since I couldn't find out (that's how it works now! No initiative roll, I'll treat it as rolling a 1)
    Last edited by HuskyBoi; 2013-09-12 at 12:06 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288

GnomePirate

Tettik throws another bomb to try and help cover Dylan's retreat.

"Do you need any more protection, maybe? I have a drink for that if you do! Plus, we might need to run instead. Possibly, maybe. I could just be overthinking everything."

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack vs Touch (1d20+9)[16]
    Damage (2d6+4)[11]

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

"As soon as we down this thing, start running!"

Drask had had enough of standing around. He charged forward, with the intent of taking out his pent-up frustration on the Beastman. Meanwhile, Kalaryn rushed over to Dylan (while firing an Acid Splash as an afterthought). When the time came to run, she was prepared to drag that girl along with her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drask charges.

Bite: (1d20+7)[13]; Crit confirm: (1d20+7)[17]; Damage: (1d6+5)[7]
    Claw: (1d20+7)[15]; Crit confirm: (1d20+7)[12]; Damage: (1d6+5)[7]
    Claw: (1d20+7)[21]; Crit confirm: (1d20+7)[22]; Damage: (1d6+5)[10]

Kalaryn uses Acid Splash: (1d20-2)[0]; Crit confirm (1d20-2)[18]; Damage (1d3)[2]
    Last edited by Anyr; 2013-09-12 at 08:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian knocks another arrow and fires, taking another step backwards once the arrow is away.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: (1d8)[7]

Show

None

21. - Top - End - #291

Laucien fires another arrow, which zips past his allies to land once again in the beast's shoulders. But it is Tettik's bomb which sails gracefully through the air to detonate right in the monster's face, hurling it down to the ground from where it does not get up again. The smell of burnt hair drifts into the street, and approaching cries still echo from the southern street.

"Wes'" Bronsson mutters. " 'n q'ckly!"

He runs westward up the street as fast as his legs will allow, moving towards the Engineer's Guild. You are close now.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Laucien's arrow and Tettik's bomb both hit. Since I didn't get an action from Felicia, she held. Kalaryn's acid orb was not fired since the beast was already down by then. The body's there for looting if anyone wants, but time's ticking, and Perception checks take time...

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn and Drask followed along with (hopefully) everyone else. In the event that a group member (Dylan) didn't follow, Kalaryn would pull them along as best she could.

23. - Top - End - #293

GnomePirate

Tettik scurries after everyone, though his legs are a bit shorter than the rest of the huge people stumbling around like rhinoceros after a night of raucous partying. He eyes Drask, eyes gleaming with an idea. Still, it is a large scary monster, at least to Tettik, and he probably shoudn't just jump on him...

"Hey, there Mr. Eidolon, or Drask, sir. Could I maybe get a ride? So, you know, I don't get left behind and eaten by beastmen? I would be appreciative and give you a back rub later while we were not in mortal danger of possibly dying."
    Last edited by AaronGrimstone; 2013-09-15 at 04:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

"Not a chance. Just run faster."

"What Drask means to say, is that he's ill-suited to serve as a mount. You'd most likely fall off if you tried to ride him."

That state of affairs would likely change at some point. When Drask grew large enough (or his master shrank), Kalaryn planned to 'remodel' him into a worthy steed. Ironically, she sometimes wished that she had a more Tettik-like stature, so that she wouldn't have to wait.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2013-09-15 at 06:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian quickly follows after the others with an arrow nocked. Aren't rats suppose to be quick animals?

Show

None

26. - Top - End - #296

Bronsson leads you up the street, which slopes quickly up the mountain. Mercifully, you arrive at the guild after only half-dozen more warehouses have passed by.

The Engineer's guild seems more like a fortress than a home of learning. It is surrounded by a tall, stone wall twenty feet high, with crenellations running all around the edges. The stones are deep, dark grey, making it seem very out of place among the pale cobblestones of the streets and the dark wood of the warehouses. The gate is made of wide wooden beams, and bound with steel fortifying strips. Sentry towers flank it on either side. There is no sign that the guild has been broken into.

Bronsson avoids the gate, however, and takes you instead down a side alley, following the outer wall. Eventually, he comes to a small pair of wooden trapdoors in the ground outside the wall. He produces a small black key, and inserts it into a tiny lock in the trapdoors. With the slightest of turns, it clicks open, and he heaves the doors aside.

"F'lw dn thur, gz't supply rums." he orders. "M 'gna find yn puckbist. L'mt y'bk hyrr n'un 'urr, aye? H'v yn supplies ruddy, thun will ld up t'blls 'n hdbuck. Clur?"

Spoiler
    Show

"Grah, pay attenshun, will ye? Oi said, Follow down there, it goes to yon supply rooms. Oi'm gonna go find yon pack beasts, and oi'll meet ye back here in one hour. Have some supplies ready, then we'll load up the bulls 'n head back. Clear?"

Bronsson waits briefly to make sure everyone understood what he had to repeat, and to answer any questions his patience will permit. Once matters are clear, he heads off further down the alley, away from the main street. In front of you, the supply door is open. A slope of smooth flagstones runs down it at a fairly shallow angle, presumably to make loading and unloading easier. The trapdoor is only about five feet wide, but leads into a relatively tall underground passage, about eight feet high. It is lit by flaming torches in brackets on the wall, which don't appear to be giving off any smoke. The floor, walls, and ceiling are all made of the same smooth flagstones, and the passage runs for as far as you can see in a straight line.

Outside on the street, scattered bestial cries can still be heard, but they are far more distant than they were. All the same, time is ticking.

27. - Top - End - #297

GnomePirate

Tettik looks at the supplies, then at his frail little rat-folk arms, then back at the supplies. He quickly comes to the conclusion that he is useless when it comes to moving any of the boxes at all, and decides to search them for anything interesting.

If someone really presses him to help then he'll drink a vial of Ant Haul and be a little bit better than a nuisance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+10)[26]
    Knowledge: Nature (1d20+10)[17] to identify any supplies that he would find useful. Not that I expect to find anything in an engineer's guild.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

"Clear, sir."

Kalaryn took some comfort from seeing the guild building (among others) untouched. It was good to know that at least some of High Spire remained intact. Once everyone was safely inside the passage, she closed the trapdoors (taking care not to accidentally lock them in the process). Then she turned her attention to the marching order.

"Since Drask most likely has the keenest senses, I think that he should lead the way. Does anyone have an objection t-"

"No objections? Great. Follow me."

Heedless of anyone else's opinion, Drask had already shouldered his way to the front of the line. Kalaryn herself chose a position close to Dylan. She was still very concerned about that poor girl.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I put as much as I can into my haversack and grab a box.

Isn't this fun!!

I try to keep my distance from Kalaryn, partly out of a risk that she might pose to my fun, and partly because I know that she want's to stay close and have turned it into a game.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian accepts Bronsson's orders and willingly lets Drask lead the way. When they get to the supplies he quickly comments, Tettik, why don't you crack open the bags and crates to determine what's useful while the rest of us load them? Just mark the things to take with something. Laucian then begins loading and carrying the useful supplies.

Show

None