New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In the Woods, in the Woods [IC]

Felicia frowns and looks suspiciously at the family while slowly approaching them. "Name's Felicia..." She says after some thinking, unsure how to act or what to say. After a moment she sticks one of her fingers in the drink and tastes it carefully then spits it out again. "Ewww, what is this?" She mutters in disgust and looks somber at her finger.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Tettik takes the drink offered him and drinks from it without complaint. He frowns a little at Felicia, who he sees as being a it too rude. "It tastes delicious, you should try it=." Other than that he simply observes. This is Felicia's show right now.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I sit back, sip in what I think is a ladylike fashion (but is probably quite common) and enjoy what is about to be the most entertaining few minutes of my week so far.

4. - Top - End - #34

Laucien and Dylan
    Spoiler
    Show

The crowd charges drunkenly off into the arena, stumbling over barrels and each other to try and catch the hare. Laucien though, has a cunning plan, and settles down behind a pile of boxes. The sound of shouting, drunken adventurers rings all around the arena, and it's fairly easy to pinpoint where they are. The hare is slightly trickier to pinpoint, as it moves incredibly quickly and quietly. But from your hiding-place, Laucien sees it sprint past. The wine addles your senses a bit, but you are able to get a shot off quickly with the flung stone. It zips quickly through the air, and although it strikes the hare, it is just a glancing blow and the tiny beast quickly recovers. It changes direction to move away from you, lightning-fast, and the hunt continues!

Felicia and Tettik
    Spoiler
    Show

Tettik examines the liquid in his goblet closely, sniffing it with his sensitive nose, watching how it swirls, checking for sediment, even testing it with a few small droplets of universal indicator. He does a small taste sample too, drawing on the full breadth of his alchemical experience to test the sample he has been given. His skill enables him to determine that it is a slightly acidic solution, the main component being vitis vinifera, but it has fermented over a long period of time. More recently, someone has added additional agents, including the bark of the cinnamomum tree, dried murtacae buds, and several large, rough-cut slices of citrus sinensis. Adding together the facts and examining them as best he can, Tettik concludes that he has been offered a goblet of mulled wine, and it is delicious. The young fox-folk offers you a refill on your goblet.

The fox-father looks rather surprised by Felicia's reaction to the wine, raising his dark eyebrows.
    "I see you, uh, are not a fan of our glow-wine? No matter, we have some water and beer. It is not well to have a dry throat on a happy night like this. I am Father Dann, a priest of Ehlonna here in the city, and this area is my parish. So long as you stay in High Spire, you are welcome to be part of our family. Where have you come from, if you don't mind me asking? And what business have you in High Spire, that I might be able to help with?"

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

As you begin to circulate, another member of the gathering walks up to you to engage in conversation: Lord Urabran, your host. The dwarf noble wears a rich green and gold doublet, the colours of his clan, and wears many jewels. On his right hand is the famous Urabran signet ring, a magical heirloom of the family. He bows so deeply that his nose almost touches the floor, using one hand to hold his brown beard in place.

"Lady Kalaryn- who's eyes are like the earth's deepest sparkling gems, and who's reputation for duty is strong as thrice-folded iron. Might I compliment you on the grace and tact with which you diverted the Minister just now. I feared that our gathering would turn sour if someone did not intervene. I wonder if you might spare me a moment of your time. I have an opportunity which may interest you..."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kalaryn was somewhat taken aback by the sudden stream of compliments. She hadn't been expecting quite so warm a reception. Had Drask been here, he'd have instantly suspected a trap. "This man" (he'd have said) "is buttering you up. If he asks you for a favour, think very carefully before saying 'yes."

But Drask was not here. And since his master was far more inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt, she did just that. Putting all mistrust aside, Kalaryn accepted Urabran's words at face value.

"Of course, Lord Urabran. A moment is the least I can offer to our gracious host. By all means, lead the way."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

So close, I had the correct idea... After his first attempt narrowly failed, Laucian pulls back to take a new vantage of the scene and watch what direction of the hare runs.

Seeing the bumbling idiots crashing in every direction, Laucian attempts to make new assessments of which direction the hare will be pushed. Once he completes his assessment Laucian decides that a deceptive cornering may be required given the hares fast reflexes. Laucian quickly attempts to move boxes and barrels into a tunnel like structure that should the hare attempt to run through would effectively be trapped. He then proceeds to hide and wait, employing the same mirror tactics he did in his prior attempt.

Spoiler
    Show

Laucian attempts to create a structure that resembles this:
    __
    --| |--
    --------

When the hare begins traveling down the tunnel, Laucian will block the front of the tunnel, he will then run to the back and block the back. he would then slide a barrel/box through the tunnel, effectively minimizing the space within the tunnel until the hare has no where to run. The purpose of the extra little cut out is to make the tunnel appear as though it's not a tunnel and there are openings and options for places to run.

Sense Motive (Discern Crowd Movements): (1d20+5)[17]
    Knowledge Nature (Discern Hare Movement): (1d20+11)[19]
    Survival (Create Tunnel): (1d20+11)[28]
    Stealth (Hide): (1d20+12)[18]
    Acrobatics (Close the Tunnel ends): (1d20+8)[28]
    Range Attack (Strike Hare with small stone/pebble): (1d20+6)[22]
    Grapple: (1d20+3)[7]

Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

None

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"Glow-wine?" Felicia repeated curiously, her refined tastes only used to simple water and mud. "Well I'm from the forest... a forest..." Not sure if she was willing to completely trust a random friendly stranger that is being nice she decided to sort of tell the truth. "And I came here to find a friend..."

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

8. - Top - End - #38

GnomePirate

"Well you found one! Unless that isn't the kind of friend your talking about, or its too forward to say we're friends when we only met each other a few hours ago which is likely. You know what, your probably talking about a specific person." Tettik takes a deep breath, and drinks some of the delicious mulled wine.

"Funny. You come from a forest, and I'm planning on going into a forest."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Having watched a small amount of the hunt itself, an idea hits me.

I look around and see if there are any places nearby where bookkeepers are offering odds on the competitors.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+8)[23]

10. - Top - End - #40

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

It is well that Drask was not in power at the moment, as Lady Kalaryn knows. Custom dictates that a dwarf lord must always compliment his guests, as a sign of grace. The more compliments offered, the higher the station of the lord. Although radical in many ways for a dwarf, even Lord Urabran is firmly founded in the customs of his people. He beckons you to one side, and speaks in a hushed tone.

"I wished to congratulate you on the tact with which you handled the Minister's little argument. He can be prickly, to use a human term. But you did your duty admirably. Now, if you will follow me to my study, I have something that I have been instructed to pass to you"

Lord Urabran turns and walks towards a door at the far end of his hallway.

Felicia and Tettik
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah yes" Father Dann replies. "High Spire is home to many people of all races and walks of life. A lot come here looking for friends. Most of the anthros- if indeed, your friend is anthro- gather here in this part of the city, though not all of them. Some study with the guilds, and Lord Orthan lives in noble estates on the fair side of the Aerium. If you wish, I could put in some enquiries and maybe we can find your friend. It is possible that he is even part of my congregation. Of course, if your friend is not anthro, he might be harder to track down."

Father Dann takes a drink of his glow-wine, and smiles.

"Of course, it's even possible that he is here tonight. And if he isn't, there's no knowing where he might be. Might I suggest you and your friend- for it seems he is more than willing to be one to you- join us for the festivities?"

He leans past Felicia and extends a hand for Tettik to shake.

"You are most welcome to join us, young rat-man. Might I ask your name, and what you do in High Spire?"

Dylan and Laucien
    Spoiler
    Show

All around the arena, the watchers are cheering at the drunken antics of the crowd, and the ingenuity of the rogue trying to build traps. "Fifty gold on the rogue!" one adventurer cries, and his bet is snapped up by a dwarf two rows in front of him. "One hundred gold says he gets stuck in the trap himself!" another cries. The wagers are flying fast between the cheering audience members.

Down in the ring, Laucien is moving fast to complete his trap. He throws the pebble and it strikes the hare firmly on the hip, but once again it quickly recovers. But now it is trapped in a small area- it has only ten feet in any direction to run, and starts running back and forwards in a panic, looking for an exit. It only needs the slightest opening to escape- can it be caught first? The crowd is cheering louder than ever as Laucien braces himself to catch his quarry!

11. - Top - End - #41

GnomePirate

"Ratfolk, ehm." Tettik reaches out and shakes the fox-folk's hand. "I'm Tettik, and I study the wonderously volatile arts of alchemy! I make bombs! And I would love to stay and enjoy the festival, but will only stay if Felicia stays because I'm showing her the rope and can only do that if she's around me to actually show the ropes so if she wants to stay then I'll stay but if not then I'll regretfully have to depart. This is delicious mulled wine by the way."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

"She anthro..." She pauses for a moment and adds silently "I think..." She stares at her feet as she mumbles further. "So if want to ask around.... Errrm... Enquire... She probably looks like me... Is about twice as old as I am..." She fell silent again,realizing how hard it is to find someone you have no clue how that person even looked like.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kalaryn obediently followed Lord Urabran to his study. Funnily enough, she felt no desire for Drask's company as she did so.

Some Summoners kept their Eidolons with them at every waking moment. For Kalaryn, that wasn't really an option. The sort of events she attended usually didn't regard Drask as an acceptable '+1'. Thus, she was forced to navigate high society without the benefit of his *ahem* wise counsel. What a shame.

14. - Top - End - #44

Felicia and Tettik
    Spoiler
    Show

"Hah, hard enough to find someone in this city even knowing their race! Or what they do... does this person even know you're looking for them? My life, you've a tough search on your hands, young fox-maid. But I will endeavour to help. Does your friend have a name? Who is this person? More wine, my young rat-man?"

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

Lord Urabran leads you down several flights of stairs into what at first glance appears to be a cellar- but you quickly realise it is too well-furnished. Like many dwarfs who have moved to the city, Lord Urabran clearly keeps his sleep and work quarters below ground level. He stops at a wooden door, and takes out a simple iron key, with which he unlocks it.

""My study is in here. Mainly it contains relics of interest from my adventuring days, and a few prizes I valued too much to sell. But sometimes items of a more unusual nature come my way. It is one such item that I have been instructed to pass on".

He unlocks the door, and steps into the study. Inside is a small room, just large enough for a desk and a few glass-fronted cabinets. A suit of steel armour, covered by the brown and gold robe of one of Moradin's holy paladins, is on a stand in the corner, and the metal gauntlets clutch a heavy mace. The cabinets house various treasures- gold boxes, a jade statuette, a rolled-up scroll, a strange skull that appears to be made of rock, and other objects fill them up. On the desk are several letters, as well as a quill and inkwell and other writing tools- you instantly notice the seal of the Urabran clan. His Lordship steps over to the desk, and unlocks a draw, out of which he pulls a slender wand.

"No instructions, I'm afraid. I was simply told you would need this, and I am honour-bound to follow these orders."

Last edited by HuskyBoi; 2013-06-13 at 07:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kalaryn couldn't help but raise a quizzical eyebrow. This gift was unusual, to say the least. Nonetheless, she reached out to take it without hesitation. Taking precautions first would have been (in Kalaryn's view) an insult to Lord Urabran. Besides, she trusted that he had her best interests at heart.

"Thank you, my Lord. I will of course accept your offering in good faith. Would it be appropriate to ask about the history of this intriguing item? I must admit to being immensely curious."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia felt unease, it was like her father always said. 'The most beautiful things are poisonous and the most helpful things want to eat you.' But at the other hand this seemed as a rare chance to actually get some help and she already realized it was pretty hard to find anyone if you don't something about them. And what was the worst that could happen? She collected all her courage and mutters: "She might be sort off my mother... Who left me at birth... I guess..."

___

Old PF Initiative Build

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian pulls off his short sword (with the sheath still on) and uses it to help him corral the Hare into one of the corners, he then attempts to pounce on the Hare again before it escapes to freedom. All the while he keeps his eyes out for other competitors trying to capitalize on the Hares entrapment.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception to watch other Competitors: (1d20+11)[26]

Laucian will continue making attempts each round until he succeeds, the hare escapes, or another competitor comes and he's forced to free the Hare before someone else catches it.

Grapple: (1d20+3)[16]

Grapple: (1d20+3)[7]

Grapple: (1d20+3)[4]

EDIT: SIGH...

EDIT2: Actually... that might be a success (there are no stats for Hares/Rabbits that I can find, but using the Cat as a Proxy it's CMD would be:
    10+BAB+STR+DEX+Size = 10+0+(-4)+2+(-2) = 6 CMD

Obviously the Hare will have different stats, but I wouldn't think they are so different to give him 11 additional points to his CMD.
    Last edited by XianTheCoder; 2013-06-13 at 09:45 AM.

Show

None

18. - Top - End - #48

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

"If I'm quite honest, my Lady, I was rather hoping you could shed some light yourself," Lord Urabran replies."I too am curious as to it's origin. What I can say is that is was given to me, two days ago, by a friend of some time- Lord Orthan. Yes, I am friends with the infamously reclusive Lord Orthan, for reasons that go back likely further than you do, my Lady. He instructed me to give this wand to you- he said you would need it, and that he would contact you shortly with... well, he said he would contact you."

Lord Urabran sighs, and it is clear that he is confused."Lord Orthan is my great friends, but he sees and understands far more than I do. I can only trust that what he does is for the best. Is there nothing you can tell me about this wand? You had not been expecting such a gift?"

19. - Top - End - #49

GnomePirate

"Oh, that is sad. My family is both drunk and crazy, but I would hate not knowing them. I wish I had a potion to help you, but I don't think they make one for that. " Tettik turns to the fox-folk. "No thank you, I need a clear head tonight for something extremely and very important. And I'm a ratfolk, not rat-man. That's a two-bit superhero no one likes. Your help should be super appreciated, though!"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Alas no. This is the first I've heard of it. Still, Lord Orthan isn't our only source of information. Are there not several skilled mages attending this very party? Surely one of them can divine the wand's function."

Kalaryn herself had little talent in that area. When it came to identifying magic items, she usually relied on the 'fiddle with it until something happens' method.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2013-06-14 at 11:10 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I realise that the bets going on a clearly out of my price band and go back to watching this crazy show with curiosity. This elfin outsider clearly has some nonce about him! Might even catch the hare!

Then he takes out the sword and my opinion of proceedings takes a very dim view very quickly.

Don't kill it! It's supposed to be a capturing hunt!

22. - Top - End - #52

Felicia and Tettik:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Quite right young man, that is sad," Father Dann shakes his head sombrely."Well, I will try to help if I can, but it sounds like a difficult task you have on your hands, and not exactly something we can ask after discreetly. Now let's see, do you happen to know her name? Even a family name might help. And when might she have come here? I can ask my boys to put in some enquiries, if you like? The more information we have, the better, and we are always willing to help a friend in need!"

Laucian and Dylan
    Spoiler
    Show

Laucian reaches out with both hands towards the hare, cornering it in it's trap. It darts left and right, looking for an escape, but it's too late! He can't find one in time, and before you know it, you have grabbed hold of the beast by the scruff of it's neck! Just in time too, as the barrels go hurtling aside, and a big group of adventurers and bruisers comes barging in, led by ferocious-looking half-orc with a mohican almost a foot tall.
    "Oi! Get your 'ands off 'im! That prize was for me, you piddlin' little elf!"

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

It would appear that you know rather a lot about Lord Orthan, insofar as anyone does. He is very much a recluse, living in his estate on the southwestern side of the Aerium, very close to the Tower Guild. Although he has lived in the city for many, many centuries, he has almost never been sighted in public, preferring to defer tasks about town to his servant, a half-elf. On the rare occasion that Lord Orthan is ever seen in public, he wears full robes and a veil that conceals his every feature. The reason for all this secrecy is not known, though rumours abound, of course- people have guessed everything from plague to a a permanent case of invisibility.

Of course, the more educated (yourself included) know a little better: the most likely theory for his secrecy is that Lord Orthan is some type of creature not native to High Spire, or even it's surrounding world, and he prefers to keep that a secret. As for his business, he is inscrutable. No-one knows what he involves himself in, but he has contacts everywhere who keep him intimately well-informed about things happening in the city. If Lord Orthan takes an interest in one's business, one had better be both very flattered at his involvement, and very afraid of what is coming.

"Ah yes, I'm sure many of the guests will be able to help. Good thinking, my Lady! Shall we return to the hall to question some of our educated guests?" Lord Urabran gestures to the open door of his study, directing you back upstairs.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"Errrm... How many babies are abandoned in the forest here?" Felicia frowned, hoping that should have been enough information. "Well... My father... foster father... He said my last name is Hazel. Both for my eyes and well... He said the name was also on the blanket he found me in... Besides I don't why she should be buy my dad said it was the best place for looking and he probably has his reasons..." She sighs.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Once his hands are on the hare, Laucian will bring him in tight to his body, protecting him from being stolen or squirming away. As the other competitors charge through Laucian breathes a sigh of relief, Just in time. At the aggressive confrontation from the Half-Orc, Laucian nimbly hops out of his trap to the opposite side.. There is always next year friend. Laucian will smile and back away, raising the hare above his head for all to see his victory.

Show

None

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kalaryn obediently exited the study and climbed back towards ground level. Like Lord Urabran, she was eager to solve this new mystery. Once the two of them rejoined the party, the search for a likely 'wand wrangler' would begin. She was looking for a Mage with the skill to solve her problem, the middling social status appropriate to such a mundane task, and the discretion to keep quiet about it. After all, there was no telling what magic the wand contained. If its effect turned out to be something gossip-worthy, Kalaryn didn't want tongues to wag. She'd learnt that lesson the hard way, back at the Academy. Oh, tongues had most certainly wagged that day...

26. - Top - End - #56

GnomePirate

"No one abandons things in these woods, I think. They're all deathly afraid of them. They'd probably take a trip to another part of the world just to abandon someone in 'nicer' woods."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

"I wasn't abandoned in the woods here but farther away... My dad didn't even let me travel alone trough the woods nearby, but it didn't seem that scary. Stil he recommend to start search here..."

___

Old PF Initiative Build

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Seeing the half-orc challenge the rightful winner, I decide to try and help.

I vault the barrier between spectators and the hunt and rush up to the half-orc, tap him on the shoulder with my left hand and put my drawn kukri hard against his nethers, then look him straight in the eye and say as bravely as I can muster.

I would step away, if I were you. This one's an outsider and he'd ruin your day, but only after I've swapped your gender.

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatics to vault the barrier (d20+9)[12]

Intimidate (d20+3)[7]

Well... he is a bit taller and more robust than I am...
    Last edited by Lerriano; 2013-06-15 at 03:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Felicia and Tettik
    Spoiler
    Show

"Aye, it'd have to be a desperate situation indeed to abandon something in the forest. Though of course, many of us here find our family origins there- usually some generations back, of course. My great-great-great-great grandfather was a guard in the Trickster God's palace. Terry over there-" Father Dan points into the crowd, at what looks like a young man who is part badger- "is the many-times-grandson of one of the Broch clans. None of us have any desire to go back, of course. The stories our grandparents and great-grandparents tell are... well, enough to make us happy we got away, let's put it like that. Now, more wine? Or water, for the lady?"

Laucien and Dylan
    Spoiler
    Show

The half-orc turns to look at Dylan, and draws his teeth back in a snarl. Mercifully, before he can come up with any retort, the halfling who started the contests comes in between you and marches up to Laucien.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! The hunt is completed! The silver and gold is won! Congratulations young elf, you have done well indeed. Come, come, to the winners podium!" And he leads you merrily towards the benches- with the hare still in your hands- where the contest began.

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

Rejoining the party, you are somewhat spoiled for choice as to a likely wand-wrangler. The most likely candidate seems to be a female elf who taught you during your years of schooling at the Tower Guild, though of course there are more: the Minister is still here, a few other guild wizards who are friends of his Lordship, as well as a few priests of some of the larger temples, more personal friends of Lord Urabran.

"You are already acquainted with Master Scholar Merisiel, aren't you?" Lord Urabran asks, indicating the elf from the Guild. "Perhaps she can help us with our conundrum?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian ignores the Half-Orc, but smiles at Dylan in appreciation for the support. Now I'm not sure if she's odd or a loose arrow, at least she seems to have taken a liking to me. Laucian follows the halfling to the podium, where he will turn to the spectators and raise the hare, encouraging applause.

Show

None