New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: In the Woods, in the Woods [IC]

Spoiler
    Show
    Kalaryn's face lit up when she caught sight of her former teacher. She had many fond memories from her days as a student. It was much easier to enjoy school when you didn't have all those negative emotions weighing you down. She nodded approvingly to Lord Urabran. They had found their candidate.

Kalaryn approached Merisiel from across the room, in a way reminiscent of earlier years. She walked like someone proceeding down the aisle of a classroom, to write an answer on the blackboard. Old habits died hard. When she spoke, her voice had likewise regressed a few years.

"Er, Master Scholar? Perhaps you remember me. I'm a former student of yours."

Once reintroductions had been made, she would show the wand to Merisiel and request an appraisal.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2013-06-16 at 10:48 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I feel slightly foolish and overcome with realisation, put the weapon away and sheepishly look at the floor as Laucien soaks up his lime light, desperate to avoid eye contact with people, especially the half-orc.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

"Water is fine, not much else in the forest to drink." Felicia says and finally decided to sit. She still feels a bit unease, but decided to just go with the flow... Nothing bad will happen here. "I don't know where great great great great great grand parents hail from... But if I heard my father talk about his parents, it seems he was also glad to be away. I liked the forest though... I would want to go back one day."
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Nothing more to drink." Tettik says without thinking much about it. He pushes it away. After all Tettik will need a clear head for his trip and he didn't like being drunk like his family. "My parents, grandparents, great grandparents along with assorted others all came from cities, so we don't have a drop of forest wanting in us. We ratfolk don't really like living in places full of hungry predators larger than us, bad enough surrounded by humanoids larger than us."

5. - Top - End - #65

Laucien and Dylan
    Spoiler
    Show

The halfling walks Laucien to the benches and up to stand on top of them. Apparently a winner's podium is not happening tonight, but the applause from the audience is more than enough to make up for it. The halfling speaks to the croud, in a surprisingly large voice:

"Lllllllllladies and gentlemen, we have our winner! This year's winner of the Mad Hunt- the winner of the silver and gold- is the talented, the dashing, the deadly LAUCIEN NAILO!" He turns and mutters to you, or to your navel at least, in a much quieter voice "We'll handle the purse in a minute. Just wave for a bit now"

He turns back to the crowd, and applauds you, signalling the crowd to do likewise. Once you've had your fill of adulation, he can lead you back into the Arena offices, were you are awarded the winner's purse: 500gp. He also takes a small silver badge, in the shape of a running hare, and hands it to you.

"First win in a few years, well done. Now go and enjoy the celebrations!"

Felicia and Tettik
    Spoiler
    Show

At Felicia's mention of going back to the forest, Father Dann shudders a little, and his voice becomes terse.
    "Young lady, I fear you are mistaken. And if you are not, you would be advised to keep such sentiments quiet- no-one LIKES the forest, certainly not within this city. And the people of High Spire don't look kindly on people who claim to have an affinity with that place. We have a hard enough time looking as we do- but thank Ehlonna and the other blessed gods, the people of this city have at last begun to look past that, and we can live safely. Stay here, in the city- you can look for your mother safely, and we will help you. You have the chance of a happy life here. If you return to the forest... well, I shall pray to Ehlonna that you reach whatever afterlife safely."

Father Dann looks up and around. Some of the guests are leaving- the night is clearly winding down.

"It is getting late. If you have no-where to stay, you are welcome to join me and my family tonight. I am sure we can find space for you"

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

Master Scholar Merisiel turns, and instantly recognises you.
    "Ah, the young lady of house Defrain. Kalaryn, yes? I see you have done well with yourself, to be a guest of Lord Urabran. Now, what can I help you with?
    The Scholar takes the wand from you, and begins to inspect it. She turns it this way and that, examining it in detail. The wand is almost a foot long, and very supple- it appears to be made of willow. There is a heavy wood handle at one end, and peculiar runes run up the length of it. As the Scholar inspects it she casts a spell, which you easily recognise as Detect Magic. Further divinations also follow. More than once, she mutters: "Interesting..." Finally, the Scholar clears her throat, in a manner you recognise very well as meaning she is about to give a lecture:

"Well, it's certainly unusual, my Lady. This wand enables the user to cast the Knock spell. I'm not sure you are familiar with this spell, as it is not usually learned by Summoners, though I understand you have some teaching in the special use of magic items? The design is not reminiscent of any culture I recognise, nor the personal style of any Tower Guild wizard I know. The runes are particularly baffling, I have never seen this sort before. But what really confuses me is the charges- most wands are made to hold fifty charges, but this one has only three- and as far as I can tell, was built to contain only three. Perhaps the runes will indicate why?She hands the wand back to you."I hope that was helpful to you, my Lady. I am afraid I can offer little more assistance."

She bows respectfully, and turns to leave. You notice that Lord Urabran is making farewells to many guests- it appears the night is winding down.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you for your help, Master Scholar: Both now and in the past. I'm truly grateful to have had you as my teacher."

Kalaryn lingered while the other guests departed. Lord Urabran would no doubt want to hear what she'd learnt about the wand. Perhaps he'd be able to make some sense of this new information. As far as Kalaryn herself was concerned, the whole thing might as well have been an elaborate prank. She really had no idea what Lord Orthan was trying to accomplish.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian smiles and raises his hands waving and accepting the praise, It might not be a GREAT deed, but it's a start. Calling Mooky to him, the monkey runs and jumps up on his shoulder. When the applause begin to die down, Laucian will allow himself to be lead to the offices, where he collects his prize. Very appreciatively, he leaves the office. 500GC!!! What was I doing making people chairs and tables?? Clearing adventuring is the way to go, I have the gold now to craft a whole new and better bow finally, this one is getting old and lacks the distance and power I need from it. After collecting his winnings, Laucian will return to the BBQ pit, accepting any praise and retelling the thoughts going through his head as he constructed the traps. To Dylan he says, Thanks for explaining the challenge to me, it was helpful and made the victory possible.

Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

None

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia was so surprised by the raise in tone she almost jump out of her chair again... "Okay, okay... No forest. Fine." She started to feel this was a bad idea and looked at Tettik. "I think we got a place to stay."

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Aww it was nothing! Apart from 50gp. It was 50gp's worth of nothing.

I try my hardest to come across as cutesy and wink playfully, well into my classic barmaid tricks.

Diplomacy
    Spoiler
    Show
    (d20-1)[18]

And we can be adventurers together!

I smile lots at the prospect of being helpful and going on an adventure.
    Last edited by Lerriano; 2013-06-20 at 02:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

GnomePirate

Tettik looks at the foxfolk. "We already have quarters, but thanks for the offer." He looks at Felicia, "Unless you do want to stay with them it might be good to return." He gestures for Felicia to lean closer to him.

"These folk are superstitious and fear what they don't understand. I can take you to the forest and help you track your mother! I'm already planning on going there to search for special ingredients and could use the company." He tries to speak quietly but doesn't make any special effort to conceal his words. The people of High Spire's foolishness does not overly concern him.

11. - Top - End - #71

Felicia and Tettik
    Spoiler
    Show

Hearing Tettik's words, Father Dann shakes his head. "My prayers go with you young ones. I am afraid I must join the festivities. I hope you can be happy for the rest of tonight, at least" With that, he rises and disappears into the shrinking crowd to make some farewells. The night is moving on, and many partygoers are starting to peel away and head home. The streets are quieter now, and the air is cool. Much lower down the mountain, you can see the great city wall, and the forest beyond it.

Laucien and Dylan
    Spoiler
    Show

Round the barbecue a few members of the crowd are sitting and drinking, and of course wanting to come over and clap the winner on the back. But it is evident that with the competition over, the night is done, and many are peeling off to go home, ready for monstrous hangovers the next morning. The jolly dwarf is packing up his barbecue, and soon the crowd is all but dispersed, leaving the two of you enjoying the last of the drink.

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

Lord Urabran finishes saying good-night to the next of his guests, and approaches you to ask about what the Scholar had to say.
    "Very strange, for sure. Lord Orthan's plans tended towards the complex, and I must confess I too have no idea what he is trying to accomplish. Maybe tomorrow I will visit him and see what he has to say. Until then my Lady, I fear the night is drawing in. It has been a pleasure, as always, to receive House Defrain in good faith." Although his tone is friendly, you sense that this is him wishing you a good-night. Outside the air is cool, and it is only a short trip by hansom cab to the estate of House Defrain.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Am... Am I being shaken down? Laucian thinks with amusement and alarm, I'll have to watch this one. Laucian smiles, 50gc is more than a hired soldier makes in three months, even a doctor wouldn't earn that in less than 2 months. Are the prizes typically that large? Perhaps because I'm a foreigner they felt they could payout a smaller reward. As a side note, even if there was that kind of margin in the reward, a 50gc kick back for something that the Halfling would have explained for free would seem a bit steep. Laucian shrugs, clearly not interested in the topic further. What kinds of adventures did you have in mind?

Show

None

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kalaryn rode home in silence. This night had left her with a lot to think about. Every so often, she'd take out the mysterious wand and examine it again. She was still turning it over in her hands when she stepped out into the night air.

The Defrain estate's gates squeaked slightly as they swung open to admit her. Kalaryn walked through moonlit grounds which were beautiful, yet orderly. Every flower, tree and hedge was laid out with elegant precision, according to a grand design. Rather than stopping to smell the flowers as she usually did, Kalaryn went straight inside and up to bed. Given what she knew of Lord Orthan, she had a feeling that tomorrow might be an eventful day.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

After saying goodbye to Father Dann she looks at the rat-folk with questioning eyes. "Tekkit... do you mean this night or later? going to the forest, I mean! I don't advise traveling at night but I don't know what special ingredients you want. Night has the darkness and the deadlier animals prowling, which can make it hard to travel."

___

Old PF Initiative Build

15. - Top - End - #75

GnomePirate

"Ah, but tonight the festivities are a distraction. I bet even the wall guards are a little more relaxed today! If we don't go tonight then we can't use the festivities as a distraction that will allow us over the wall. The woods can't be that dangerous. Its all superstition and ridiculousness. I mean how could a town get here if the woods were impassible and full of nightmares in the flesh that hound and torture you for days. If there wasn't a little exageration going on then High Spire wouldn't be here. Plus we're quick, and capable and can take on any nocturnal animals prowling."

"But it absolutely has to be tonight or we won't stand a chance of making it over the wall. Besides I already packed and I wouldn't want to unpack anything again."

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to roll diplomacy in the OOC
    Last edited by AaronGrimstone; 2013-06-22 at 11:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't think it's nightmares you need to fear in the forest... The forest has a lot of existing things that would be scary for an untrained person." Felicia says awkwardly, wondering what kind of nightmares people would have about a forest. "I haven't even unpacked, so I guess tonight is as good as any day. So let's go."

___

Old PF Initiative Build

17. - Top - End - #77

GnomePirate

"Great, then let's go! First to the dorm to pick up my supplies, then to the wall to wander into the Cimmerwood!!"

Tettik leads Felicia back to the dorms to pick up his supplies, then heads to the best spot on the wall to get over it, probably close to the festivities.

18. - Top - End - #78

Tettik and Felicia
    Spoiler
    Show

After a quick moment to pick up supplies at the Guild, you walk down the southern side of the mountain, taking care to swing a little westwards- too far to the east, and you would run straight into the headquarters of the wall guards. But the route you take instead takes you through a large apartment district, with cramped, narrow streets and mess all over the place. Already the streets are clearing up, and only a few late-night carousers are heading home, being careful not to loiter. No eyes follow you along the tight street.

Finally, the city wall looms up ahead. It stands almost forty feet tall, and is at least that wide at the top. There are tower houses every so often with stairs inside to the top of the wall. The wall itself is very smooth and difficult to climb, almost as though it has been carved from a single, giant piece of rock. But another advantage of this area is that the densely-packed apartment buildings might have enough handholds to help get onto the wall top- if you can jump from them to the wall. Silhouetted against the clear night sky, you can see two Stalwart guards patrolling along the top of the wall.

So... how to proceed?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia stares at the wall for a moment and whispers to Tekkit: "That's a smooth wall... I got a piece of rope and a grappling hook to help us up a bit but it's still a long climb. As for the guards I might be able to distract them but that might also cause alarm... But it sounded like you got a plan."

___

Old PF Initiative Build

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I put on a blatantly fake pout of grumpiness.

Aww you're clever! Never mind, I guess the drinks are on you though!

I'll have a big one and another chicken leg!

Our adventures should go into the forest. I'm bored of these streets, I know all about them! Let's get out and see something new!

21. - Top - End - #81

GnomePirate

"From what I gather the Stalwarts are largely to keep things out of the woods, while no one really wants to go into them. I figure they're weaker from ths side than from the outside and might not even stop us. Still, we have two options, depending on your skill set. We can climb up the buildings, until we reach the end of them, then using two of my infusions we take a leap of faith onto the wall, drop the rope and grappling hook on the other side and scale down."

He takes a breath and continues.

"Or we find a way to sneak up the towers in the wall, but that will be difficult without some way to hide our passage. The second part would remain the same. I prefer the first plan, but maybe the second wouldn't be terrible."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

The Woods... The ones that everyone seems to be scared of... That's an idea. Though not a very good one. Considering you are new to adventures, don't you think you may be a bit aggressive in your choice for a first adventure? Perhaps something slightly more focused and less broad then 'Go into the Woods'?

Show

None

23. - Top - End - #83

Felicia and Tettik
    Spoiler
    Show

As you stand in the streets planning how to cross the wall, you suddenly notice the guards react to something on the far side. They pick up their weapons, and one runs into the sentry tower to the right. Your ears pick up a muffled roaring the begins to grow louder, more and more until it is almost deafening. A whole manner of roars and screeches and howls are filling the air. Then suddenly the sky is lit up with a flash of white light, and with a roar like crashing waves, a huge winged shape flies across the wall and straight over you, it's massive wings carrying it up the mountain. Lightning flashes from it's mouth, and further up in the city you hear screams and the crash of thunder.

But that isn't all. Directly in front of you, the terrible roaring voices on the far side of the wall reach a peak. More Stalwart guards are running to the wall, and you see some of them beginning to cast spells of protection. There is a deep, impacting boom against the wall that shakes the ground. Then a second time, and a third- and with the third boom, the wall implodes. Rubble flies past you and you hear the crash of falling rock and the cries of the guards falling from the top of the wall. Some fly up high, some stumble to their feet on the ground. And the doors of hell are opened, and the wild demons of the forest come pouring in through the wall.

Hundreds of monsters come dashing and leaping over the rubble- giant brutes with horned heads, centaurs with lion's manes and bodies like carthorses, hags and smoke-wolves and giant beasts that look like bear and wolf and lion combined. Higher than the wall flock hideous winged shapes that shriek with a sound that tears at your ears. The Stalwarts at the breach draw their weapons, and one sends bright red lightning up into the air; but the outpouring of monsters will soon overwhelm them like waves over a sandcastle.

Before your very eyes, the city is breached. The battle is started.

Laucien and Dylan
    Spoiler
    Show

As you sit talking, you hear a sudden rumble like thunder behind you, then a flash of light illuminates the city. Looking around, a shock is waiting for you. Not far away, towards the very southern end of the city, you can see a huge winged shape fly across the wall, straight past the Stalwarts. Although it is hard to tell what it is at this distance, a sudden flash of lightning from bursts from it's mouth and razes the ground below. But suddenly, you hear something much closer- the beat of giant wings. Another giant flying creature passes directly over the top of the arena, and you see black scales, a skull-like face and sweeping horns, before a long sinuous tale follows it. The creature flies up the city, and circles the mountain, and from this one's mouth comes a cloud of sickly black smoke.

But worst, and finally, you hear the army. At the south side of the city, barely ten minutes to sprint from you, comes a cacophony of roaring, shrieking, howling as if every demon in hell had gathered to terrify the city. The roars grow in volume, and you hear three great strikes that echo across the city. On the third strike, red lightning fires up into the sky.

The red lightning has not been seen in the entire history of the city, but you know well what it means. The city is breached. The wall is broken. Battle has been joined.

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

You are suddenly woken by the door of your room being flung open. You look up to see your father, the Lord of Defrain, standing against the door.

"Kalaryn, get up! Now! The city is under attack! Dragons, at least two of them. And they say the southern wall is breached, we are being invaded. We need to make safe the city" He runs over to the bad, grabs your arm, and pulls you up."We need to help, my girl. The city needs us. I have ordered the servants up to the Aerium to try and get away, but we have to stay and help the citizens. Gather what equipment you need and come downstairs quickly. Do it now, Kalaryn, now!"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"You still want to go into the forest?!" Felicia shouts, more to herself then Tekkit. Her training and instincts instantly calls her out to stop staring in disbelieve. She looks at Tekkit and shouts, to overcome the noise, loudly: "Flee or hide?" She also tries to judge how much time they have before becoming in danger.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I look at the massive shape in the sky and the army approaching and swallow my fear.

Come on, outsider. Looks like that adventure's come to find us!

I pull my shortbow and quiver out of the haversack and put anything heavy into it.

Try not to fall behind! I know these streets like the back of my hand!

I dash for a street that I know will take me to the wall on the far side of the city, away from the battle so as to buy a little time.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kalaryn stumbled unsteadily out of bed, blinking the sleep out of tired eyes. She couldn't quite comprehend what was happening. Nonetheless, she felt her body moving to obey, even as her mind reeled in confusion. Years of strict training had left their mark on the young noble. With practised movements born of many surprise drills, Kalaryn began summoning her most powerful weapon.

The Eidolon ritual took its usual minute to perform: But this time, that minute felt like an eternity. When (or if) the hulking form of Drask eventually materialised, his master would immediately start moving again. Having stood still for so long, she didn't intend to do so for another second.

"What's-"

"The city is under attack."

Conversation over. Rather than waste time donning a uniform, Kalaryn just slipped a dress over her nightclothes. She then retrieved a stowed backpack of supplies from under her bed, put it on, and shot out the door; Only just remembering to grab the mysterious wand as she went past. Kalaryn Defrain was ready to join the fray.

27. - Top - End - #87

GnomePirate

"Hidehidehidehidehide Hide!" Tettik yelled in response. He looked around quickly for a place to hide, and decided on trying to enter a house. "How bout hiding in that house over there?!" He yelled in a high pitched squeaky voice. "Okay, so it isn't just superstition. Still after they get taken out by the guard their won't be enough to worry about in the woods!" Tettik's plans did not change in the slightest, the small reasonable voice in his head knew that his goal was worth braving any danger to achieve, even if his conscious mind never realized it.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian flinches as the first thunderous bang erupts behind him. Realizing an attack is under way, Laucian jumps to his feet and draws his Longbow. As Dylan yells to follow, Laucian falls in behind her and tries to keep up. Get me close enough to use my bow from cover!

Spoiler
    Show

Laucian attempts to use his knowledges to discern the type of creatures attacking the walls.

Aberations/Oozes
    Knowledge Dungeoneering: (1d20+8)[23]

Humanoids
    Knowledge Local: (1d20+8)[14]

Animals/Fey/Monstrous Humanoids/Vermin
    Knowledge Nature: (1d20+11)[16]

Show

None

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia looked at Tekkit and realized he probably wasn't so fast as her... hiding was indeed the better pick. At his suggestion she runs towards the house he pointed and tries to open to door to hide inside. She hears Tekkit talk and doubted the guards would win... easily... but decided not to say anything.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

30. - Top - End - #90

Felicia and Tettik
    Spoiler
    Show

Not two hundred feet in front of you the battle is met. The beasts and demons come pouring through the gap, overwhelming the few Stalwarts in front of them, by simply trampling them underfoot. One of the first past is a centaur with dreadlocks like giant snakes and a huge stone axe wielded in both hands. He charges up the street knocking Stalwarts from their feet. Behind him more beastmen and centaurs and minotaurs flood through. They will be on you in less than thirty seconds.

Felicia quickly dives towards the house and rattles the door handle, and mercifully it opens. It opens up to a grubby open hallway, and already people are spilling out of bedrooms into it. A large bearded man has picked up a sword from the shelf and is rushing to the door- he sees Felicia and swings with his sword, screaming wildly, but mercifully it misses.

Dylan and Laucien
    Spoiler
    Show

From the arena you run up the mountain to where the beasts are circling, and as you start to run you see a third shape appear from the clouds and begin to attack the city.

Laucien
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons. Three dragons are attacking, and they are huge- wurm-sized at least. It's too far to see what's down at the wall breach.

They are circling the Aerium and causing havoc in the area below. The breach in the wall will take about ten minutes to get to if you run, or you can take a detour to pick up supplies from the inn at which you're staying- only a couple of minutes away if you run. Around you adventurers and mercenaries have begun to appear from houses and inns, and are running confused. Some scream their battle-cries and charge towards the breach, others look far more concerned with getting to safety.

Lady Kalaryn
    Spoiler
    Show

Down in the hallway your father is already ushering members of the House into positions and giving orders, with all the practised skill of a great knight. As he sees you approach, he shouts commands.

"Kalaryn! I need you outside, the wizards at the guild are teleporting people out- get outside and try to shepherd some of the civilians there, protect them! Move quickly. And take care of yourself!"

Outside, the streets are in a mad panic. Civilians run everywhere, guards try to find weapons and prepare for battle. Further down the mountain you can see a swarm of dark bodies in all shapes and sizes pouring through a breach in the wall, and already running up through the streets, houses burning and toppling around them, while in the sky above, three giant winged creatures are circling and breathing gouts of acid and lightning down at the buildings beneath.