New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: In the Woods, in the Woods [IC]

Feeling suitably warned about hidden badgers, Dylan is lowered over the edge. She weighs barely anything, and with help from a sturdy tree, you are able to lower her down.

Dylan
    Spoiler
    Show

The bank is about twenty feet high, and the cave entrance fills the bottom five feet of that. It appears to just be a rough, earthen tunnel that has been dug out. There are no signs of struts or anything supporting it, but it seems to be holding firm. You can see sixty feet down it with your darkvision, and it runs back into the cliff face for at least that far. The floor is bare, but there are no prints or tracks that you can see. A few animal bones lie around the front, but they are old, and grass has grown up around them. Something catches your eye at the top of the cave- a tiny spider, no bigger than a fingernail, with black legs and an emerald-green body, scuttles into the cave and starts to crawl along the ceiling.

While this is going on, Kalaryn is talking with the family of refugees who came along- a father, mother, an elderly relative, and two young children. The father responds to Kalaryn.

"I don't like it here, this is no place for us to be. What happened tonight? Where were the guards that were meant to protect us? How did the defences fall? I suspect treachery, High Spire couldn't have been invaded without help from the inside"

One of the children, a little boy with bright orange hair, dressed in brown trousers and an oversized shirt, looks up at Kalaryn. He can't be more than eight.

"Excuse me, miss... you said you were a knight. Does that mean you'll protect us from the monsters?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I relay everything I see up to whoever's listening, adding a few comments about how big the badgers must be if they're digging holes like this.

The cave goes deeply into the hillside, I'm going to untie the rope and have a rummage! Wish me luck!

I promptly untie myself and tiptoe into the cave trying to suppress a nervously excited giggle.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth
    (d20+4)[5]

Perception
    (d20+10)[15]

Survival
    (d20+8)[10]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn had no answers for the father. The fall of High Spire was just as much a mystery to her as it was to him. But when it came to the child's question, she was able to answer with absolute conviction.

"That's right. Anything that wants to hurt you is going to have to get through me. And what's more, they'll have to get through him."

She pointed towards the armoured beast behind her. Drask gave the child a toothy grin, and flexed his claws.

"We'll both do everything in our power to keep you safe."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Holding the rope, Laucian waits until Dylan has untied herself, then ties the rope off to the sturdy tree. He listens to the others, but keeps himself out of it, giving no responses to anything that is said. While waiting for Dylan to perform the inspection, Laucian will take out another rope, measure out the proper distance down to the cave entrance, and begin tieing knots into it, so the less agile and strong could easily climb down to the cave entrance.

Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

None

5. - Top - End - #155

GnomePirate

Before Laucian climbs down Tettik tugs at his shirt and hands him the infusion of Enlarge Person. "Take this in case something attacks. it will make you big, big, big!" He looks down at his empty hands, sad that he is now without any infusions.

"Keep an eye out for any magical or awesome plants, please!"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I stomp into the cave not really paying attention to anything.

I whisper very loudly.

Heeeeere badger badger badger! Come out and plaaaaaaay!

I just keep going until I find something interesting.

7. - Top - End - #157

Dylan ventures into the cave. It slopes gradually downwards into the mountainside, and goes back for almost eighty feet before coming to a dead end. The earth is a little moist and the cave smells damp. Small roots from plants above protrude from the ceiling. For the whole length of the cave, there are no hidden badgers, or bears, or lions, or anything else intent on clawing the young adventuress apart. As best as you can tell, it is just an uninhabited burrow.

Meanwhile on the surface, the young red-haired boy is looking at Drask with an expression torn between glee and wanting to wet himself with terror. He turns his attention back to Lady Kalaryn.

"Are the rat-man and the fox-lady monsters Miss? Mr Rat talks funny."

8. - Top - End - #158

GnomePirate

"I do not talk funny, Mr. Red-haired boy! I talk like myself. And myself isn't funny. I don't even know that language. But I know I'm not a monster, at least not right now though earlier you could say that I was at least similar to a monster in some respects though thinking like that makes me uncomfortable. And I'm almost basically kind of positive that the young foxfolk here is not technically a monster by the common definition as in she hasn't requested to devour anything living and I would be somewhat surprised if she revealed that side of herself. No, she is at least 37% not monstrousish. Though I should probably let her talk for herself. I'm Tettik, not Tittik, and definitely not Tekkit. Tekkit was my dog. "

Tettik says this in his usual manner, though for a second he is able to muster up an air of hurt dignity this is subsumed under his normal personality, as his brain couldn't figure out what Tettik was trying to do.

"And I'm a rat-FOLK, not a rat-MAN! I do not live in the sewer, I do not scavage in garbages, at least not anymore! And I never did carry diseases, at least not in the sense of having them in my blood stream except for the times I did, and then I did experiment with viruses for a little while..." He trails off, forgetting that he had managed a whole two sentences of actual outrage.
    Last edited by AaronGrimstone; 2013-07-20 at 12:31 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia frowns. Her? Monstrous? Perhaps. "If the fox scares you... I can do this." She concentrates for a moment. Suddenly her fur retracts, her face flattens and her tail shrinks and disappears. In three seconds she changed from a fox-girl into a normal looking human-girl. It feels a bit a odd, because she didn't use her other form much. She stares at her non furry hands, forgetting why she transformed in the first place.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn waited for Tettik's rambling (and Felicia's more restrained response) to die down. Then she answered the boy.

"You see? They're people, just like you and me. They only seem strange because we've just met them."

[Actually, I'm pretty sure the rat really is strange...]

[Please don't say that out loud. I'm trying to build bridges here.]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Once I've had a thorough poke around I go back to the rope.

Hey guys! This cave is totally safe! Come down and let's cook some food for those poor families!

I go back into the cave and sit in the curve of the tunnel and get out my locket to look at it. When I see the others I try to put it back discreetly.

Spoiler
    Show

Sleight of Hand
    (d20+10)[14]

Eurgh... Dice! Who'd have 'em!
    Last edited by Lerriano; 2013-07-20 at 04:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

GnomePirate

"Yes yes yes. Perfectly normal people without any strangeness or oddities, especially..." Tettik was about to say Felicia when she changed. He stared at herfor a long second. Then when Dylan spoke he jumped a little.

"Let's go down into the nice hole away from all the angry badgers and other creatures that purportedly live in the woods. Then in the morning we can all travel deeper into them like a giant happy family or maybe not family but somewhat large group." Tettik yawns, suddenly tired.

13. - Top - End - #163

Once Dylan has scouted the cave out, everyone else follows it, climbing down Laucian's knotted rope- the elderly gentleman among the refugees needs considerable help, but makes it down eventually. Everyone gathers in the cave, and finds room on the damp earth to bed down. The cave is almost eighty feet deep, and there is no light inside- the floor is rough and uneven, and you have to walk with care to avoid slipping. But it appears to be uninhabited, so should well be a suitable place to spend the night.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: There's no light in the cave, so for everyone apart from Dylan and Tettik, some form of illumination will be needed. Also, the floor counts as difficult terrain, so you move at half speed and can't charge or run.

I'll assume conversation is done unless people post otherwise, but if anyone wants to stand watch overnight, they can post that. Otherwise we'll quickly move it on to tomorrow morning! Well, later this morning...

Also, spellcasters, remember your sleep was disturbed by the invasion, so unless you get a full eight hours now you won't get fresh spells in the morning.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

After a quick inspection Laucian climbs back outside and collects as much wood as he can carry into the cave to create a series of torches and a small fire. Unsure whether a creature may return to this cave in the future, he wanted light for visibility and fire for potential protection. Once he has enough wood he will make a small fire in the center of the cave, and create few torches along the perimeter.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival: (1d20+11)[23]

Show

None

15. - Top - End - #165

GnomePirate

Tettik helps gather wood for a fire, because he needed to see the color of some of his chemicals to make sure they were the right ones. Then while everyone is spreading out he starts to mix another mutagen. He looks around the room, deciding on who might be best to converse with. Then singles out Dylan, because.

"So what were you doing before the woods decided to eat High Spire? How do you know the swordster here? What's your favorite color? Anything you really can't stand?" He asks, simply trying to make conversation.

Spoiler
    Show
    How bad is it that I didn't know Tettik had Darkvision? Really bad, I think.

It takes him one hour to mix a mutagen, but since remains good until he drinks it.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to defer this timeskip until it's appropriate. I don't want to cut anyone off in mid scene.

8 hours later

Kalaryn woke slowly, amid lots of of tossing and turning. Still half-asleep, she tried in vain to find a comfortable lying position. Why was her bed so terribly cold and hard this morning? It felt like the mattress was made of earth...

...Oh. Right. Cave. She opened her eyes and (upon confirming that she was not in a well-furnished bedroom) sighed gently. The fall of High Spire hadn't really sunk in yet. Taking care not to wake any sleepers, Kalaryn started readying herself for the coming day's journey.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I am starting to cool down from the sheer rush of excitement that the day brought, though still very excited by what's happened.

Hi! You sure ask a lot of questions don't you!

I smile warmly.

I worked in an inn with my parents. Not my real parents, but I don't know who they were.

The smile flickers for a fraction of a second.

My favourite colour is blue. I love loads of blue things! I've got blue eyes and... Well it's a great colour!! I wouldn't say that I know him, I only met him this afternoon. He seems pretty brave though, he caught the hare and everything!

I grab my bedroll out of my haversack, bring my clothes around me and stare at Tettik as he works.

What are you mixing? And what did you make me drink? I was seeing in colour in the cave! I never see colours at night!

I attempt to poke a finger in the newest brew.

18. - Top - End - #168

GnomePirate

Tettik smiles back, though its not easy to tell considering his rat-like physique. His voice is generally kind, if quick and high-pitched."My parents were all we're too busy raising the latest litter of eight babies to pay attention to you. If you can walk and feed yourself our jobs done." He says in a falsely stern voice, obviously mimicking the aforementioned parents. "I hope the people who raised you are nice. And questions are the best way to learn about someone. I tried to do the same with Felicia, but she doesn't like to answer very many questions but I learned that by asking her many though indirectly."

When she tries to poke the mutagen he deftly maneuvers it away without seeming rude or snatching it. "This is a mutagen! It's an incredibly potent brew that momentarily rewrites a persons biology to increase one of their physical attributes, though in exchange it weakens one of their mental attributes. So it slows your thinking in exchange for making you more muscular. Be careful. You can touch it without ill-effect, but if you drink it it will make you sick to your stomach. I can only drink it because its attuned to me and I've conditioned my body to withstand it."

He takes a deep breath and continues, incredibly pleased to have an audience. He's not one of those magical people who tries to keep secrets. "I gave you an infusion of magic! I learned how to make them, and when you drink them you get a random spell. Its like if I cast it on you as if I'm a wizard but I'm not. I make these infusions which are like potions and hand them out so that when a person needs them they can use them to get awesome benefits. I gave you an infusion of Keen Senses which heightened them for a time, allowing you to see color though not granting darkvision which you must have like I apparently do! I can make tons of other infusions too, and am studying to learn how to read and make more!"

He takes a deep breath after he's done, and looks like he might continue but the mutagen poofs slightly and his attention is redirected to his work.
    Last edited by AaronGrimstone; 2013-07-23 at 12:23 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia hangs around against a wall, grumpily looking at these people trying to cause their own doom. A campfire in a cave, in the best case the smoke will clog the exit, preventing people from both entering and exiting. Worst case they will all choke in the smoke, but it didn't seem that dire.

Also all that talking didn't seem like a good idea. She frowned a bit more when she heard her name... 'Asking question?' She thought to herself, Her father always taught her that people that talked in the wilds, probably shouldn't be in the wild. Talking was for cityfolks. And that wisdom proved itself here.

Still she felt some what responsible for the most of them, especially Tettik. 'And what were the others named? Dalyn, Kalyn and Laucyn? No, no, Laucien.' She murmured to herself, not realizing others might hear her. She never had to remember so many names before... and she didn't even remember if the family had introduced themselves.

Not having much to do, she decided to keep a eye on the smoke.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

"It's Kalaryn, actually. Kalaryn Defrain."

There was no hint of offence in the voice. Kalaryn was simply trying to be helpful. She smiled at Felicia from a respectful distance, while tending to her own supplies; As if to say 'I'm here if you need me.'

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I yawn heavily as Tettik explains how mutagens work, though it's genuine tiredness and her eyes start drooping.

That's.... *yawn*.... amazing!! I want to know all about them!

In the morning, maybe!

But, with the best will in the world, I'm clearly not going to keep awake for much longer. I wrap my cloak around my shoulders and lie down on my bedroll and let sleep overwhelm me.

22. - Top - End - #172

After discussion is finished and the fire is lit, one-by-one everyone beds down but the watchmen, Felicia going first. Although it's already the very early morning, there is enough time for everyone to sleep, even if the ground is uncomfortable and the setting unfamiliar.

When the sun rises in the morning, it is slow to push through the canopy, but a few determined rays manage to battle through and illuminate the world outside the cave. The torches are long-since died down, and the campfire has receded to a few glowing embers and a whispy trail of smoke. Thanks to Laucian's survival training, it has not torched or choked everyone to death during the night.

Outside of the cave, a noise begins to become apparent. It starts as a mild snuffling and a rustling in the undergrowth, but soon grows closer, and much louder. You can hear heavy breathing, and feet dragging through the undergrowth, and a low snorting sound. Something is approaching the cave. Tettik and Dylan notice it first, but soon the sound is loud enough for everyone to hear. Moments later, a large, dark shape appears against the cave mouth. The light behind makes it difficult at first to tell what it is, but as your eyes adjust you recognise the shape of an enormous boar, as big as a carthorse. It moves into the cave and sees you all further down, but shows no sign of stopping. Instead it just ambles directly towards you.

Spoiler
    Show

There's time before it enters the cave to draw weapons if you wish to. From there, it's your move!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn stands ready; Quarterstaff in hand. With Drask gone, she'll have to rely on some of her lesser servants for this fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative roll: (1d20+4)[15]
    When able, she'll cast 'Summon Monster 2' to summon a small Earth Elemental. The elemental will immediately charge the boar, using Power Attack.

Slam: (1d20+8)[12]; Crit confirm: (1d20+8)[27]; Damage: (1d6+7)[11].

24. - Top - End - #174

GnomePirate

Tettik jumps up and grabs one of his bombs. He mumbles some equations under his breath, notes angle of trajectory, and throws the bomb at the boar before it gets to close to the rest of the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[19]
    Attack: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[9]
    Splash 6 damage Reflex Save Half

He's using Precise bomb, so four allies that would normally be in the splash radius are excluded from damage.

If the bomb misses it follows the rules for thrown weapons and lands in a random square causing splash damage around the area it falls in.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I get up, visibly excited at what is going on. Rather than draw a weapon, it appears that I've reached for some of the leftover food from yesterday's evening meal.

I promptly start running straight towards the boar holding the morsels aloft.

A piggy! A piggy!! Look! A PIGGY! Here piggy piggeeeeee!!

As the rest of the team start to engage I run on regardless.

HERE PIGGEEEEE!!

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (d20+4)[5]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia feels her fight or flight instinct instinct waking up, and she prefers fleeing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[16]
    Readying a Vanish spell, to be cast at the first sign of combat.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian draws his rapier and prepares himself for combat. If the boar decides to charge Laucian will attack, if not, then Laucian will choose to exit the cave when its clear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+6)[25]
    Attack: (1d20+8)[11]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

Show

None

28. - Top - End - #178

At first the boar lumbers into the cave, taking almost no notice of it's current occupants. Weapons are drawn in anticipation or just out of caution, and Laucian carefully edges around to the edge of the cave. But the beast does not slow down as it approaches, and as it gets more uncomfortably close, Tettik throws a bomb forward. It sails through the air and impacts directly between the eyes of the boar, exploding in a flash of fire and shrapnel. The sound of the explosion and the roar of the monster echo through the cave, and it's piggy eyes narrow.

In a flash, Felicia disappears into thin air, and Kalaryn is quick to summon an elemental to aid in combat. A squat rocky creature bursts from the cave floor and charges towards, pounding at the boar with it's fists, but the blows seem to have no effect. The boar strikes back at the elemental, trying to gouge it with it's enormous tusks. In the midst of all this, Dylan dashes fearlessly forwards to try and feed the enraged eight-foot tall pig.

Spoiler
    Show

Map of the cave:
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters represented by the first letter of their name, and B is for the Boar and E for Kalaryn's elemental. The 5 N's are the family.

The boar attacks the earth elemental:
    (1d20+8)[14]
    (2d6+9)[16]

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

"Dylan: Please withdraw!"

Protecting civilians was already hard enough, without them running directly into harm's way. Kalaryn could only hope that the Boar would continue to focus on her Elemental; Rather than the (apparently) harmless Dylan. While said Elemental continued to pummel its foe, Kalaryn fired a small orb of acid in support.

Spoiler
    Show
    'Acid Splash' (ranged touch): (1d20-2)[4]; Damage: (1d3)[2].
    Slam: (1d20+6)[18]; Crit confirm: (1d20+6)[10]; Damage: (1d6+7)[11].

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I hold out the food in one hand for the piggy and call back.

I'm ok! He just wants some food! Stop making the stone man hit the piggy!!

With my spare hand I slap the rock man.

Bad rock! Here Piggy!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack roll
    (d20-1)[2]

Damage
    (d3-1)[2]