New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: In the Woods, in the Woods [IC]

I finish my pork and walk over to this new ranger, I look him up and down, sniff a little, and look to Kalaryn.

He doesn't look like he'd be very tasty! Are we going to let him live or go full piggy?

I then proceed to get my kukri out and waggle it in his face.

Don't threaten people with hurting them! It's not nice to have a weapon pointed at you! Big elven meanie!

Having made my point in (what I consider) the best possible way, I put the blade away and go back for more pork.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dylan will waive her perception check to start enjoying some more pigbits.
    Last edited by Lerriano; 2013-08-08 at 06:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Assuming that Dylan's stunt hadn't immediately started a fight, Kalaryn would attempt damage control.

"Please forgive Dylan, rider. She's somewhat...eccentric. I'll be sure to speak to her about this matter, and explain why such behaviour is inappropriate."

She sounded rather like a mother apologising for her child.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

As the rider gives his speech, Laucian is overwhelmed with joy, Thank the Light! Please let there be normal people at the camp. Cleaning his tools and packing things away, Laucian silently prepares to leave.

Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

None

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Ranger narrows his eyebrows at Dylan. It's uncertain whether he's angry or confused, but either way, he doesn't react drastically, other than to chide Kalaryn.

"You need to keep your children under control, picking fights is a dangerous game here. Make sure she doesn't wander off. Now we have to move quickly, that carcass is going to attract predators quickly. Get your things together, we're moving out now. You sir -he addresses the elderly gentleman at the back- can you move quickly? If not, I suggest you be carried. We can't afford to be slowed down."

He quickly shoulders his bow, checks the entrance of the cave, and leaves indicating you to follow. As he leaves, something as small as a marble and as blue as the sky scuttles out of the cave.

5. - Top - End - #215

GnomePirate

Tettik sighs, sweeping his stuff up. He was pretty much done anyways. He did not notice the blue thingy.

"She's not just a child, but a kind and intelligent young woman who doesn't always realize how she comes across. I can relate. You should be more forgiving of her. Plus, Kalaryn is just a nice lady who is helping watch over us, it isn't actually her appointed duty to guard us. She'd have to be some sort of Knight for it to be her duty to guard us." Tettik did not realize how close to the truth he was when he decided to run away from it completely.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

The misunderstandings were really starting to accumulate. Kalaryn didn't know whether to fight this oncoming tide, or just go with the flow. She wished that there'd been a chance to change into her uniform: That alone would have cleared a lot of confusion. But no, apparently time was of the essence. She did insist on stopping to summon her Eidolon, though.

A minute later, she and Drask rejoined the others. Drask regarded the Ranger with (surprise surprise) great suspicion.

[Looks like we have company.]

[Indeed. He's an ally, from one of the Wide Patrols.]

[Or so he claims...]

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check for Drask (if needed): (1d20+14)[22]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

"A forest doesn't allow haste." Felicia bluntly states, not willing to get riled up. She figured she would still follow, if not for the deal with Tettik, then to see how horrible others are setting up camp.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Once Laucian is packed he will climb back up his knotted rope to the edge of the cliff and await the others before collecting his rope. As he waits he'll take a survey of the surroundings, looking for signs of other humanoids, dangers, or things of interest.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival: (1d20+11)[16]

Show

None

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I grab my things, chuck them into the bag and sling it over a shoulder and stand next to Tettik.

I'm packed and ready! Let's gooooooooo!

This is shouted almost inappropriately loudly, and I follow it up with a petulant sticking out of my tongue towards this new rangery type.

Then I turn to Tettik

Why can't we eat this one?!

10. - Top - End - #220

GnomePirate

"He can talk and doesn't want to kill us yet...Plus he's an elf and they don't have any meat on them at all. Its like trying to eat sticks. Plus I think he'll be friendly if we give him half a chance." He replies to Dylan. He finishes packing his supplies, rolls them up into his backpack, except for his extracts, and walks out with Dylan and Felicia.
    Last edited by AaronGrimstone; 2013-08-14 at 10:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

Yarrenin exits the cave, but before he sets off, he turns to look back up at the ledge overlooking it. He places two fingers in his mouth and gives a surprisingly high, shrill whistle. There is a rustle of something large moving, and suddenly a huge shape bounds over the edge of the cliff to land next to Yarrenin. Wide, grey, feathery wings tuck neatly in, allowing the rider to get a bit closer to his mount. It is a hippogriff, with appoloosa flanks and granite-grey feathers. It's taloned front feet, and the socks on it's back feet, are matching white. Yarrenin strokes the long mane-feathers on it's neck, and points to the elderly gentleman.

"You should ride her, sir. She's quick and strong and won't let you fall off easily. Come now, she has a very gentle disposition" And with some coaxing, the grandfather mounts up. The children are absolutely delighted.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyone who can make a Knowledge (Local) check to High Spire of DC 10 knows that the wide patrols use hippogriffs as mounts. If you beat DC 15...
    Spoiler
    Show

You know the hippogriffs are not imported from the forest as some assume, but rather are bred in a distant city and flown to High Spire.

Once everyone is ready, Yarrenin leads as quickly as possible through the dense undergrowth, trying to aid those who are struggling but mainly moving quickly. The hippogriff follows him up at the front, with a strange, awkward trot born of it's mismatched feet. It looks almost like it's skipping, it's front feet lollopping through the air. You travel south, away from the mountain. Yarrenin explains as he walks.

"It'll take a couple of hours to get there. You're lucky, you didn't travel too far. We've adapted one of the old ranger lodge-houses we have near the city, but it's far too small. We've already found around a hundred refugees in the forest, and we think there may be a lot more. The wide patrols AND the long patrols are all out looking. We're hoping to find a way to relay our location to the survivors, but no luck yet. And we also have to keep an eye out for the attackers coming back down and finding us. Soon we'll make a reconnaissance into the city, but that will have to wait for now. I expect the Captain will explain it when we arrive. How's everyone doing back there?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Laucian walks alongside the ranger. It's good to hear that someone is attempting to take charge. Has information about the reason for the attack been discovered and distributed down the ranks? And is it thought wise to make camp so close to the overrun city?

Show

None

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

"Quite well, thank you."

Kalaryn also fell into step with Yarrenin. She hadn't actually intended to stray ahead of the general group: But before she knew it, her militarily-trained feet had matched the Ranger's brisk pace. Drask stayed behind to guard the family.

"Perhaps you could you tell us about the military strength of your force. How many soldiers does it contain? What's their average level of training? Are any of them spellcasters?"

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Naturally, the excitement of more animals is quite a treat.

EEEEEEeeeeeee! A hippy!

I dash back into the cave to carve some fresh piggy.

Here you go, hip-hip, have some of the stupid piggy!

I attempt to feed the beast some fresh giant boar.

15. - Top - End - #225

GnomePirate

As the party travels Tettik becomes more focused on keeping an eye out for plants that would be useful for alchemy to engage in much conversation.

He meanders along their path, careful not to slow down the group, but not bothering to remain up front either.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll make the checks in OOC, so I can figure out what I need to search for alchemical ingredients.

16. - Top - End - #226

Yarrenin listens to questions, and answers briskly.

"We chose somewhere convenient and close. I suspect once we've found more survivors, we'll start to move further from the city, but for now our priority was finding everyone and getting them to safety quickly. There are wounded and frightened, they can't travel far, and we are only a few in number. The only force we have currently are what rangers were out on patrol at the time, so were not present to defend the city. There are thirteen of us, altogether: eight long patrollers, and four wide patrollers, including me. Lieutenant Ban-Simba is leading us. And there are a few combat-trained civilians, adventurous types and mercenaries. One of the Engineers is with them too. But we really aren't many to look after so many civilians. Sadly our magic is limited, but we've sent messenges as best we can to try and get help. As for why the city was attacked, I think someone said we'd do a reconnaissance soon, but nothing set yet. Perhaps you'll be able to help with that.

He suddenly flings an arm out in front of Kalaryn, stopping her in her tracks, ushering a quiet warning to stop. In front of you the ground drops away suddenly, into a small chasm. The divide is only about six yards across, but runs a long way either side, disappearing into the trees. Peering down into it, you can see tree roots snake from one wall of the chasm to the other, forming a peculiar, earthy web.

"Time to climb," Yarrenin says. He unslings a length of rope from across his shouler, ties it firmly around a tree root, and lets it drop into the chasm. One by one, he directs everyone down into the chasm, going last himself.

The chasm goes down for a long way, almost forty feet, and only gets narrower, so by the time you reach the bottom, it is barely wide enough to squeeze through. The hippogriff has not followed you.

"Tunnel straight ahead of you" And indeed there is, a narrow tunnel leading into the side of the chasm. Mercifully, it widens out quickly to be a good seven feet wide, and easily tall enough to walk along. Burning torches that give off no smoke illuminate the walls, and the clamour of voices soon echoes down it. After around a hundred feet, the tunnel opens into a wide chamber, full of rangers and refugees.

"There's food and drink, bedding, a couple loitering around who might be able to tend to your wounds if you have any. You can make yourself comfortable, as best as possible. Or better yet, you can make yourself useful. I'm sure the Lieutenant would be interested to speak to you"

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn sighed as she gazed down into the chasm. She would have little trouble climbing up or down that rope; But the same couldn't be said for Drask. These hideouts had not been chosen with quadrupeds in mind. Drask telepathically summed up their options.

[If you take me down with you, I probably wouldn't be getting back up; If you go alone, we'll strain the life link too much; And if you dismiss me, I'll be gone for a whole day. That only leaves one option.]

His master was forced to agree. As the others climbed down the rope, she told Yarrenin of her problem.

"Rider: I don't believe that my Eidolon will be able to exit your base. If that's the case, then we'd prefer to stay up here. Dismissing Drask would make me considerably less useful to your cause. It makes more sense for us to wait here, until you find a mission suited to our talents."
    Last edited by Anyr; 2013-08-17 at 04:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia just follows along, glaring at the elf and then glaring at the Hippogriff. There wasn't a lot for her to say, other then the fact she doesn't trust any one bit of this all, but she figured the rest of them were also on their toes and last she wanted is to tip off any possible anybodies or ruin the chance of an alliance by starting out with openly mistrusting them.

Knowledge rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Local for the Hippogryph (untrained, maximum = 10) (1d20)[14]
    Knowledge Nature for the Hippogryph (1d20+6)[26]

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Still riding the high of all this excitement, and still chewing on a bit of pig, I decide to take the lead.

We're the most useful people in the world! We're adventurers!

Take me to the leader, elfy! Come on foxy and lady! Wench power!

I grab Kalaryn and Felicia by the hand and attempt to skip off towards... well forwards, but the Lieutenant is probably forwards, right? Got to go forwards to go forwards, after all!

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check to pull the others along
    (d20-1)[14]

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn blinked at the hand which suddenly grabbed her own.

"What are you-Whoa!"

And then she was in motion. Kalaryn tried in vain to stop herself from being dragged off by a 95 lb girl. The sheer audacity of this act had caught her completely off guard.

"Dylan, please stop! This is most inappropriate!"
    Last edited by Anyr; 2013-08-17 at 07:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231

Yarrenin shrugs at Kalaryn. "Of course, it's up to you. But if you do stay up here, I'd ask that you move a considerable distance away, you look uncomfortably like a sentry, and the last thing we want is people providing clues to our hideout. And hunters can come by without warning. Even with your ally and the hippogriffs, I doubt you would be safe up here by yourself. Also, the Lieutenant will be able to give you a full briefing of the situation, where I can only give you what I know. Your choice, but the choice is come down or move along"

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Felicia, barely stronger then the young Undine, gets dragged along. "Errr Dalyn... I mean Dylan... I can walk myself..." She blurts out, feeling more annoyed by the fact everybody must be watching them by know then the fact she is getting dragged along.

___

Old PF Initiative Build

23. - Top - End - #233

GnomePirate

"To the lieutenant! TO the Lieutenant I say!" Tettik chirps up as he follows Dylan., and the two ladies.

"By the way does anyone here have any knowledge of the layout of this wood or knows of any plants inside that are special? Also what are the creatures of the forest like? Also what is the actual landscape like? Also do you have any food, or people who specialize in Alchemy in the camp? Plus, what is yours and the lieutenants favorite color?"

24. - Top - End - #234

The sight of newcomers generates curiosity from among the survivors in the camp, though it's possible too that the sight of a young barmaid dragging an lady and a fox-girl might be causing something of an extra commotion. Yarrenin guides you through the main hallway and into one of several tunnels branching off, though the family stay behind and try to find food. The tunnel is lit by more smokeless torches, and the walls and ceiling are shored up with wooden beams. Here and there, hairy roots dangle through the ceiling, and torches make stripes of shadow slash across the wall. At the end of this tunnel is an open room, each wall a good twenty feet long. There are cabinets and tables and maps strewn around. There are also three people, two of them deep in discussion: a woman in heavy plate armour, and a stout man with a huge mane of hair, who appears to be in charge, or at least is speaking more loudly. In the corner of the room is a hooded dwarf, not saying much, who is smoking a pipe nearly three feet long, which engulfs the ceiling in a thick haze of deep, green smoke. As you enter the room, the man with the mane of hair looks up, and speaks.

"Welcome, rider. Report"

Yarrenin salutes, palm-forwards. He rattles off his name, rank, and number, and gives a quick relay of how he discovered you all, and brought you here. Then the man dismisses him, and he leaves. He also dismisses the woman in plate armour, who clanks past you and out of the room, looking concerned. Then the leader addresses you all.

"Well, welcome to Ranger Lodge twenty-three. I am Lieutenant Mafalma Ban-Simba, highest ranking officer of the rangers in this camp. I'm sorry I can't offer you seats, but we haven't had a lot of time for luxuries lately. But there's food and water and I think Bronsson has got a small brewery set up, devils-know-how. Now, I imagine you all have some questions. Time is not a luxury I have a lot of, but Rider Yarrenin suggests you might have some useful skills, so this is a good opportunity to find out if you can be any use to me, and help you understand. So, questions? Incidentally, young rat-man, my favourite colour is red, but that colour is already taken.

25. - Top - End - #235

GnomePirate

Tettik nods in solemn understanding. Then his ears twitch slightly. "Actually I am a rat-Folk. As in a kind and majestic race of noble and intelligent people. But I'll excuse the slip as you are a man of high stature who probably wasn't fully aware of the difference. The difference is that rat-men eat garbage and carry the bubonic plague. I also did want to know if you have any alchemical supplies or poisons though don't worry I won't use those for anything other than self-defense unless people keep calling me a rat-man. Just Kidding. Mostly. Though seriously, please do not call me a rat-man. My name is Tettik."

If Tettik wasn't so preoccupied by figuring out about alchemy he might have gotten a bit more angry about the lieutenants misuse of the phrase rat-man.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalaryn hastily extricated herself from Dylan as they entered the room. She really needed to have a serious talk with that girl. But before that, she needed to make a good first impression. By the time Kalaryn stepped forward to introduce herself, she was once again the picture of composure.

"Greetings, Lieutenant. I am Lady Kalaryn: Knight of House Defrain, and Summoner of the third circle. I've been tasked with protecting the refugees who fled from High Spire. Since it seems that our goals are in accord, I place myself at your disposal."

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I get a very excited grin on my face.

Hello! My name's Dylan and I...

I flick my wrist and out pops a tiny brass pistol, barely bigger than the palm of my hand. I take aim at a cup on one of the tables with a view to scooting it to the back of the room for extravagant effect.

Spoiler
    Show

See the IC for another bloody abysmal d20 roll, something to the tune of my fourth or fifth natural 1?

Damage
    (d4)[1]

The gun snaps loudly and misfires, sending sparks off in various directions and, rather than scooting the cup, hits it as a target.

Having failed completely, my face flushes and I desperately try to avoid looking into anyone's eyes.

...erm... Never mind...

I jump behind Kalaryn in case I've caused offence.
    Last edited by Lerriano; 2013-08-21 at 08:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

"Felicia, and I do wonder what skills you need or with what you need help?" Felicia introduces herself, somewhere between suspicious and curious. Her suspicious did turn from expecting an ambush to more a feeling of being used as a pawn.

She frowns at Tettik's explanation. "Your kind of seriously just 'ratfolk'? Because..." before she could finish a loud noise interrupts her, and Felicia instinctively hisses, before realizing the source. She looks at Dylan and mumbles "I guess don't aren't the skill they want..."

___

Old PF Initiative Build

29. - Top - End - #239

The Lieutenant smiles to himself, and doesn't seem in the least bit perturbed by the eclectic crew standing opposite him. It's possible he's used to it.

"Well I'm glad to have some offers of help, as we're fair stretched in numbers and there's a lot to be done. If you're all willing to help immediately, then there's plenty to be getting on with. I'll understand if you don't want to go back into the forest straight away though. Down the mountain it can get rather, ah... well, how would you describe it, Bronsson?" He turns to the dwarf sitting in the corner, who takes a long look up at the ceiling, and a deep, slow puff on his pipe.

"Hrumph-errr. Scary. Very scary"

"There, you see, couldn't have put it better myself. So yes, if you're willing to head back out, we need to continue sweeping the area for more refugees, at some point we'll need to make a reconnaissance of the city to see if the beasts are still there, and we're also planning on asking some of the friendlier- "Hrumph, hrumph-err" "denizens of the forest if they know anything about the attack. The first task is exceptionally dangerous, and will require constant, yes constant, vigilance, no small amount of stealth, and great care and attention. The other two...well they'll need much the same. But the third one will require someone who speaks Sylvan. Oh, and all three could benefit from conserving one's ammunition, but take that more as a friendly hint than hard advice. Gunpowder is scarce round here, much to Bronsson's frustration"

"Hrumph. Aa-hrumph, ah, brff, fggit"

"So, thoughts?"

30. - Top - End - #240

GnomePirate

"Yes, alchemy, do you have it here? That is important. Also I would want to help and don't personally care which option we take though i should note that I do not know any Sylvan. Not even slightly."