New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Erfworld?

1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld?

All I can say is.....I like the art....I'll judge the rest when I see it.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

The artwork isn't exactly my usual style (then again, neither are stick figures). It does look like the artist is very serious about it; seems well-crafted. I'll have to see the first strip to judge the rest. Cutesy/infantile dialogue tends to turn me off, so "gobwin" doesn't give me a lot of confidence. But hey, who knows, maybe the priest from Princess Bride is involved somehow; then I'd be totally cool with it. I'll keep an open mind until I see the actual strip.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

i would assume that it is at least loosely dnd based, in as much as they come from the same "evolutionary" tree, as it were. they are both based off of a fantasy theme which has swords and sorcery, dragons (dwagons?) and deities, men and monsters. I doubt it will be of the same format as OOTS, bc i doubt the Giant would put such a similar comic on his site. I would guess that it is about as DnD based as a Forgotten Realms novel: same classes and monsters and such, but no rules commentary or specific rules references. Thats just my 2 cp though.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dosent look as good as OOTS...
    Click for spoilers on my site!

Uber cool "dire piano" avatar by Mr.Saturn!

I'm apparently a Neutral Good Human Druid (3rd Level) good ol' tests.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am intrigued enough to give it a look.

Based on the previews alone, I wouldn't go out of my way to hunt it down. The art style isn't my kind of thing and terms like "dwagon" and "gobwin" are about as appealing to me as l33t 5p3ak. But it's conveniently located next to my favorite Web comic so I will definitely check in. Who knows? I may end up liking it.
    If you can read this you are too close.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm kinda surprised that more people don't have more faith in Mr. Burlew. He's a savy guy with more wit than to add another comic to his site that would harm it. I'll be judging the new comic personally on the story-line, so I'll be a long time before I personally weigh in. I'm just surprised more people haven't regarded this desision as calculated.

7. - Top - End - #37

Not to mention I love Rob Balder's writing.

Also, just noticed this: "Erfworld" = Earthworld in cutesy-speak.
    a secret to everybody.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    Also, just noticed this: "Erfworld" = Earthworld in cutesy-speak.
    So obvious when someone else points it out...

I knew there was something to that name!
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

I'll admit, the naming scheme is a bit of a turn-off. But, I found Order of the ASCII to be very funny, so there is that. And while Partiallyclips is not my type of strip at all, it does seem to be pretty well done. So I am cautiously optimistic.

I wonder how the reaction to the first few OOTSes was. Anyone here was around from the first few adventures of the stick figures?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

The sole fact that I'm gonna be getting added value to my giantitp visits is exciting enough, hit or miss. I'm not about to critic the art/mood choice until there's actually a few updates up. It's not about the style but the artist making it work (or not), imo. I mean if I got attached to stick figures why can't the cutesy (or whaterver) style win me over ?

I have so little to go by atm ... shoud reserve this question after the 10th update or so.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Hey, I can actually participate in conversations on my own site...I should have added someone else's work earlier!

Anyway, when Rob first pitched the idea to me, I will be the first to admit that the (as its been called) "Cutesyspeak" was a concern, something that made me wonder about the comic's direction. But having seen the first batch of pages with dialogue, I was convinced that it wasn't as bad as all that. I can assure you that there are not entire conversations in the Cutseyspeak (at least not in any of the pages I've seen).

I don't doubt that it isn't for everyone--OOTS isn't for everyone, either. But I think those with an open enough mind to enjoy stick figures will grow to love Erfworld as well.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

12. - Top - End - #42

THE GIANT! HE SPEAKS! ALL HAIL THE GIANT! ALL HAIL THE GIANT!...Ahem....Sorry. Anyways, very wise advice, GREAT ONE! Er- Rich. That's what I meant. <_< >_> Stop staring.

Town Character Nukular, now retired as my avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character List
    Spoiler
    Show

SPARTAN 587
    Lucas 'Moose' RockNukular
    Lucas's dad, Peter
    Gen the Jackal
    Yigyar the GruntJimmy
    Phil
    Donovan the Mutant Mindflayer
    Big Paul and Lucas's mother Joanna

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Did anyone else see the giant sword on her back and think "Clouds Sword." Maybe just me. I need sleep.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

I am excited about the new comic. Not only is the art engaging, I actually do like the "Cutesyspeak." It makes me think of my nephew telling me a story, something I always find humorous. As to the massive sword, why not? I mean, so many characters in so many books, comics, cartoons, what-have-you have used more ridiculous weapons. I recall a boomerang from an anime that was 15 feet tall and could cut boulders in half.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

If this comic is half as compelling and hilarious as Rob has been describing it for the past couple years, it's going to completely rock ass. He and Jamie have put more thought and care into this than goes into your average cruise missile. And as far as fan participation, it's going to go way beyond custom avatars. I can't wait to see it.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am actually really excited about this. After clicking the "Cast of characters" button at the bottom, Erfworld already gave me little laugh.

Jillian
    Strengths: Fearlessness, Independence, Unrealistically Oversized Weaponry, Hack-slash-carve-stabbity-killing

:D

Yes, I think I will like this.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wizard View Post
    I am actually really excited about this. After clicking the "Cast of characters" button at the bottom, Erfworld already gave me little laugh.

Jillian
    Strengths: Fearlessness, Independence, Unrealistically Oversized Weaponry, Hack-slash-carve-stabbity-killing

:D

Yes, I think I will like this.
    Huh. I didn't even notice that...

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal."
    --Dwight D. Eisenhower

That just popped to mind when I read Prince Ansom.

:D <==Needs a real smilie

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

biggrin Re: Erfworld?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wizard View Post
    Jillian
    And one of her weaknesses is "knowing what she wants." Sounds like we already have a way to make certain (sub-)plots drag out to fill as many comics as necessary.

I like the Arkenhammer. Ocupation: MacGuffin. That one made me .
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I spy with my little eye... something that begins with the letter "D".

Dwagon!

...I'm hooked. Just...too...cute.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

I don't like it.

I don't like it so much that I registered here just to say so. I've lurked here for a very long time indeed, but never felt compelled to register until this came along.

I'm sorry that my first post had to be so negative, but the last thing I think the world needs is another comic about a cutesy character with an outlandishly oversized sword worn in a back-scabbard of all things. How does he (she?) draw it anyway?
    I agree; the underlying idea does for Erfworld does seem a little cliché'd but what the hell, I'll wait and see.

Who's up for a game of Parcheesi?

=D

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Rich has made a brilliant move here with introducing other comics into the giantitp.com website. It's expanding nicely to have a great forum which includes general comic chatter, together with RPG gaming and discussion while hosting storie's and now MULTIPLE comics.

giantitp.com is becomming a nice company of it's own right, rather than just a posting area for OOTS. I'm looking forward to a professional area for online-comic and D&D material.

GOOD WORK RICH!
    Always spread Vegimite behind your ears to prevent attack by drop bears.
    SHADOWGIRLS FLIPSIDE

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

The art looks well done (even if not in a style I normally enjoy) and I am hearing good things about the writing (other than the cutesy speak). I am going to give it a chance as I trust the Giant's judgement in these matters. I will withhold making my own judgment until after a few strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceika
    I'm just trying to spread smiles 117 x 117 pixels at a time.
    Semper Fi
    Kevin

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to this. Looks interesting, and if it's something Rich is willing to add to his site, well then it much be good. ^_~

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

25. - Top - End - #55

I was excited to see that the Giant had decided to expand his site even more. I already spend roughly 28 hours a day here, so more things to do to fill the gaps is great. Also the thought of a comic a day has me very excited. Although i will always remain a loyal OOTS fan, i do think that erfworld will hold much sway on me (such a sucker for manga style art).
    Anyone else really excited by the character page? i cant wait til tomorrow to see how the first 6 pages are going to be. Well, off to do more posting.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doglord View Post
    Dosent look as good as OOTS...
    Could it possibly? Very few well-established comics look as good as OotS.

Most food, religions, and people don't look as good as OotS. Why would a tiny preview of an unwritten comic look as good as OotS?

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by CrossP View Post
    Could it possibly? Very few well-established comics look as good as OotS.

Most food, religions, and people don't look as good as OotS. Why would a tiny preview of an unwritten comic look as good as OotS?
    I seriously laughed out lous when i read this. my boss had to ask me what was going on. thanks for the mood shifter CrossP <wipes tear from cheek>