New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: danzibr's Totemist Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Thread's locked, so I can't, unfortunately.
    Boo.

Contact an admin?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a little surprised you didn't mention Duskling as an eligible race for Soul Eater.

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I'm a little surprised you didn't mention Duskling as an eligible race for Soul Eater.
    Me displaying my ignorance. Or lack of attention to detail. Or absentmindedness. Or something.

Added!
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #184

Uh-oh. A bit over 10 weeks. Bumpy time.

By the way, I keep bumping because I think I might add/change stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Are you going to add a section on Soulcaster? It doesn't seem to be mentioned as a prestige class option, despite being probably the #1 most powerful thing a Totemist can be doing.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Are you going to add a section on Soulcaster? It doesn't seem to be mentioned as a prestige class option, despite being probably the #1 most powerful thing a Totemist can be doing.
    Huh, Soulcaster seemed far too squishy for a non-ranged Totemist and Totemist didn't really seem to add as much to those focusing on casting as Incarnate would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Huh, Soulcaster seemed far too squishy for a non-ranged Totemist and Totemist didn't really seem to add as much to those focusing on casting as Incarnate would.
    Oh, it's definitely valid. Besides the obvious fact that spellcasting is the #1 most powerful thing anyone can do in this game, Soulcaster is also the best for Share Soulmeld abuse, and there are some great Totemist melds that you can share. Like remember that at-will Flesh to Stone from Basilisk Mask? Think about spamming it every round without spending an action. Scratch that, spamming it twice per round without spending an action, because you have both a familiar and an animal companion. And then using your action to cast shatter. That's pretty kickass. There are plenty of strong defensive and utility soulmelds on the Totemist list that are solid choices on a caster, and Totemist has a better chassis than Incarnate, so you pick up a slightly bigger hit die and more skill points for the early levels.

Off the top of my head, you could go something like Totemist 2/Wizard 3/Soulcaster 10/Wizard 5. Swap your familiar for an animal companion and take Obtain Familiar to get it back. Maybe pick up Improved Familiar or Celestial Familiar too. If Dragon Magazine is allowed, spam the Extra Familiar feat from Dragon #280 in all your feat slots and go to town.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2014-12-16 at 03:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188

Hey, these are great ideas. I expected it to be just another bump.

I'll incorporate these when I have time (over break, so a week from now).
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Hey, these are great ideas. I expected it to be just another bump.

I'll incorporate these when I have time (over break, so a week from now).
    Well, I didn't quite make good on that. Winter break is shorter in HS than it was in college >.>
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #190
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, I didn't quite make good on that. Winter break is shorter in HS than it was in college >.>
    Winter is a harsh mistress like that, alas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Winter is a harsh mistress like that, alas.
    But I still get a full 3 months for summer! :D

In other news, I added Soulcaster. I actually really, really like it now that I've taken a closer look.

It seems pretty feat-heavy, but what Troacctid said about stacking on the familiars/AC's and going to town with cool soulmelds is a very appealing idea. My group usually runs gestalt and PF feat progression. In which case... Soulcaster wouldn't work since it's a theurge class, but the idea is still there. Something like Totemist 20//something which gives bookoo familiars/AC's (like that janky Druid PrC).

At this point I still need to... assign color ratings to a few more things. And take suggestions.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #192

An actual update for a change! Minor, but still an update.

I came across Corrupted Creature from BoVD for the first time today (or, well, the first time with Totemist in mind). Here's what I said about it
    Spoiler
    Show
    Corrupted Creature (BoVD): +4 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, -2 Wis, -2 Cha. Hoo boy, 'das nice min-maxing for a Totemist. +4 to natural AC (probably), some DR (which needs to be converted from 3.0 to 3.5), some decent extra vile damage, bump DC of special attacks, fast healing, and ``The damage die used when the creature deals damage with natural attacks increases by one die type [...] as if the creature were one size larger.'' Oh, and you become an Aberration. Very solid template for a Totemist, especially if you're looking to stack size increases. There are problems, of course. First, it's 3.0, and has no listed LA. Technically that makes it LA +0 (hence why it's here), but +1, maybe +2 is more appropriate. Looking at its competition, I think it's quite good for +1, but not unreasonably so. Second, for alignment it says always evil. If anyone's interested, I found this on 4/28/15 while looking for for Bone Creature (2 templates above). Oh, and the split rating is due to the variability.

Also, in another thread, I read about masterwork unarmed strikes/natural weapons. I threw this in the first post.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Masterwork/Enchanting Natural Weapons/Unarmed Strikes?
    Spoiler
    Show

It seems it is possible. I'll quote shaikujin, to whom all credit is owed.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaikujin View Post
    Regarding Unarmed Strikes aren't masterwork -

Champions of Valor has a Region call "Chosen Born".
    One of the bonus equipment choice is "deity’s favored weapon (masterwork)".

There are several deities that have unarmed strikes as their favored weapon.

Hence, masterwork unarmed strikes is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaikujin View Post
    Regarding that:

There are deities with "claw" as favored weapons. Sharess, for example. So certain types of natural weapons can be masterwork as well.

Also, warforged with adamantine body might work. Adamantine items are always of masterwork quality I think.
    And you can enchant masterwork weapons.

So... it looks like maybe you can legitimately enchant unarmed strikes and (certain) natural weapons.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

13. - Top - End - #193

Gettin' up on that 45-day thing.

I still feel like it's incomplete... those two finds in my last post were nice.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Another Totemist Handbook (WIP, please wait to post until the Builds post)

2: Totemist Overview and Homebrew/Potential Alternate Rules

Recall the Totemist class information is available here.
    Broken link, use http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...050907a&page=3 instead.

15. - Top - End - #195

Default Re: Another Totemist Handbook (WIP, please wait to post until the Builds post)

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    I went to bump myself and see I got a reply. Thanks! And it's fixed.

I still feel like it's an epsilon away from being done.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

16. - Top - End - #196

Time for a bump.

I think once I go through and finish rating things I'll let it slide into oblivion (err, the later pages of this forum).
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi, I am new to the class but I can say that I have fallen in love with what it has to offer. Especially when it comes to combat. So I have looked at the current choices you have put up for the class and the melee version has my attention, the one with the bear warrior in it. Currently I am a lv 8 Skarn totemist and I would like to know what would I need to make my dream of becoming multiarmed furry ball of death and destruction possible. I can post my current build so you can let me know if I am onnthe right path or not.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by ghostfreak24 View Post
    Hi, I am new to the class but I can say that I have fallen in love with what it has to offer. Especially when it comes to combat. So I have looked at the current choices you have put up for the class and the melee version has my attention, the one with the bear warrior in it. Currently I am a lv 8 Skarn totemist and I would like to know what would I need to make my dream of becoming multiarmed furry ball of death and destruction possible. I can post my current build so you can let me know if I am onnthe right path or not.
    Oh, sorry I didn't see this. I should subscribe >.>

If you posted your build I'd be glad to have a look.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

I apologise if this was already brought up at some point in the forums, but I don't have the time to search through all of those comments. You mention soul eater as a good prestige class. Thing is, as you say, this is from BoVD, which to my understanding is for 3e and never adapted to 3.5e. Am I missing something? Cause I was severly disapointed when I found out there was no adaption for BoVD.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMojo View Post
    I apologise if this was already brought up at some point in the forums, but I don't have the time to search through all of those comments. You mention soul eater as a good prestige class. Thing is, as you say, this is from BoVD, which to my understanding is for 3e and never adapted to 3.5e. Am I missing something? Cause I was severly disapointed when I found out there was no adaption for BoVD.
    The DMG allows 3.0 material to be used in a 3.5 campaign if the content in question was never reprinted. The Soul Eater PrC was never reprinted in a sourcebook, and is fair game. Most DMs will disallow 3.0 material without knowing about this rule.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    The DMG allows 3.0 material to be used in a 3.5 campaign if the content in question was never reprinted. The Soul Eater PrC was never reprinted in a sourcebook, and is fair game. Most DMs will disallow 3.0 material without knowing about this rule.
    So the idea is if they did not revise the rulebook they thought it was balenced enough and compatible with 3.5? Ok, makes seense. But I can't find that rule in the dungeon master's guide. Which page is it?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMojo View Post
    So the idea is if they did not revise the rulebook they thought it was balenced enough and compatible with 3.5? Ok, makes seense. But I can't find that rule in the dungeon master's guide. Which page is it?
    The game developers had no idea what balance was. The material that was revised was reprinted because the wording needed updating to match 3.5's mechanics or as a nerf (Haste, for example).

The rule is in the DMG. Page 4's first sidebar. Second paragraph, last sentence.