Default Re: Water, Earth, Fire, and Air [class]

I'm fairly sure they were wolf bats.
    Check out Avatar

Some of my creations Forgotten Golem, Lady of the Fallen

Great avatar done by Thecrimsonmage

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi every one, I too am a BIG Avatar fan. I have been working on these classes since July this year! here is a link to where I have been working from. Good job on all your work and if you are interested I would be more then happy to send you mine, just PM me its all wraped up in a nice .pdf
    Last edited by homerjay; 2006-12-13 at 02:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
    [SIZE=2]
    Master of the Hurricane:
    I know it’s not complete or anything, but it looks promising. No where did we say that one person has a monopoly on a class idea (anyone is welcome to post their versions of the bending classes), plus the Hurricane is a different take on a combo of water and air than Yuki’s. I don’t know if you’re still hanging around, Cael, but I’d like to see it fleshed out a bit. Please?
    Mephibosheth
    Thank you.

Time to add a bit more.

Master of the Hurricane

Requirements: To become a Master of the Hurricane, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
    Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Swim 8 ranks
    Class abilities: Air Blast, Manipulate

Class Skills: The following are the class skills of the Master of the Hurricane: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Rope

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Hurricane Bending, Vortex, Manipulator of the Storm

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Storm Slam 1d8

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Lesser Hurricane Form

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Cycling Lungs, Storm Slam 2d8

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Eye of the Implosion

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Lesser Hurricane Form, Storm Slam 3d8

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Great Vortex

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Storm Slam 4d8

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Moderate Hurricane Form

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Hurricane's Essence, Storm Slam 5d8[/table]

Hurricanebending: A Master of the Hurricane adds his levels in Air Bender, Water Bender, and Master of the Hurricane together to determine the effectiveness of his bending forms and the power of his Air Blast and Water Blast abilities.

Vortex (Su): With the strength of water and air, a Master of Hurricane may begin to create the force that defines them. While less than 20ft away from a body of water at least 30 ft. long, 30 ft. wide, and 50 ft. deep, the Master may use Airbending and Waterbending to simultaneously raise and spin water and air together. This requires a Concentration check (DC 18.) If the water temperature is above 80 degrees farenheit, -2 from the DC. -1 from the DC for every 10ft. that the body of water exceeds the size needed per Master of the Hurricane level. (I.E. the maximum subtraction a 3rd level M.o.t.H. can get is 3 if the body of water is 30ft larger than need be.) On a succeeded concentration check, a large (By monster standards) hurricane is formed. Creating a hurricane in such a way requires 2 rounds, though only one concentration check is necessary. The hurricane is self sufficient though it will collapse if it is not maintained (See below.)

Manipulator of the Storm (Su): Controlling a hurricane requires great focus, skill, and determination. Luckily, the Master of the Hurricane possesses all three. To control a hurricane, a Master must be unarmed in at least one hand and succeed on a concentration check of which the DC varies. Controlling a hurricane requires a move action.

Move the Hurricane (DC 8 for 5ft) +2 per extra 5ft. +2 per 5ft on land.
    Bend the Hurricane (DC 10 for 10 degrees) +1 per 5 degrees
    Enlarge Hurricane (DC 16 per 5 sq. ft.)
    Maintain Hurricane (DC 10 + turns since the hurricane has been created.)
    +5 to all DC if only one hand is free.

Storm Slam (Su): The force of a hurricane is great, and the Master of the Hurricane uses this to his advantage. Starting at 2nd level, if the Master of the Hurricane has created a hurricane, he may use it to attack his opponent. Using a Storm Slam is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The storm buffets around the target, dealing 1d8 damage + Master of the Hurricane level, as well as moving the target 5ft away from the hurricane per 5 damage. After slamming an opponent, a concentration check (DC 15 + number of rounds since the hurricane has been created.) must be performed, or the storm will dissapate. The damage a Storm Slam deals increases to 2d8 at 4th level, 3d8 at 6th, 4d8 at 8th, and 5d8 at 10th.

Lesser Hurricane Form: At 3rd level and once again at 6th level, a Master of the Hurricane may take one Airbending or Waterbending form.

Cycling Lungs (Su): A Master of the Hurricane's ability to control wind and water together becomes uncanny. Starting at 4th level, a Master gains the ability to breath indefinitely in water, siphoning the needed oxygen from the liquid. He also gains the ability to survive in a vacuum for a number of rounds equal to his Master of the Hurricane levels + his Airbender levels + his Constitution modifier * 2.

Eye of the Implosion (Su): Starting at 5th level, a Master of the Hurricane's fury begins to unleash. Using a full round action, he may surround himself with a hurricane he created and shape it into a dome around him with a concentration check (DC 18.) Using another full-round action, he may make the dome explode, blasting everyone around him. Anyone within 5ft per Master of the Hurricane level when he makes the hurricane explode will receive 5d12 damage and be buffetted back 20ft.

Great Vortex (Su): Practice makes perfect, and there is no exception when it comes to the ability to make a hurricane. Starting at 7th level, a Master of Hurricane requires no concentration check when performing his Vortex ability, and the size of the body of water required is dropped to 15ft long, 15ft wide, and 25ft deep.

Moderate Hurricane Form: At 9th level, a Master of the Hurricane may take one moderate Airbending or Waterbending form.

Hurricane's Essence (Su): Words cannot begin to define a Master of the Hurricane's skill. At 10th level, a Master of the Hurricane may create a hurricane around him without requiring a body of water with a move action. All concentration checks meant to create and control a hurricane become free actions, as well as all DC required for such checks are reduced by 5. The time it takes to create a hurricane is reduced to a move action, and a Master of the Hurricane may be completely armed while manipulating a hurricane.
    Last edited by CaelCyndar1993; 2006-12-18 at 02:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Much enjoyed this thread, and am starting an avatar campaign setting soon. I'm afraid i don't have much constructive to say to you yet, other than thanks, this was exactly what we were looking for.

Oh yes, and Earthbenders are the best.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aargh! Not having a computer is killing me. So much to check…

Dai Li PrC
    It’s looking better. Higher levels are definitely worth it now. I like the Destructive Resonance ability. It’s powerful and flavorful, but not automatically instant death. A couple of things though:
    • I’d start the damage for Gloves of Earth at 1d6 instead of 1d8, capping damage at 2d6 instead of 2d8. Also, I still think that Sneak Attack should only be applied to attacks with their Gloves of Earth. There’s just something about hurling boulders that says “imprecise” to me.
    • Any Dai Li would already have Spider Climb by this point. Perhaps have Dai Li levels and Earthbender levels stack for determining climb speed.
    • I think Gloves of Earth needs some clarification. Do they deal damage on a touch attack or a real attack (I assume real attack, but it should be clear)? If they hit and deal damage, can they initiate a grapple as well or do they have to forgo a damaging attack to initiate a grapple? Why require Improved Unarmed Strike for the ranged version but not the melee version? What’s the DC of the Wisdom check to overcome Earthbender DR?
    • I think you need to be a bit clearer about how the Earthen Bindings work. Especially, how do they interact with Earthbending? Are they secured automatically like the Iron Bands (if so, it would probably suffice to say they function like Iron Bands of Binding, except as noted)?
    Otherwise, nice work!

Master of the Hurricane
    Looking good so far. Definitely a different take on the air-water combination. As with the Dai Li, I have a few comments:
    • What does “in front of” mean when creating a Vortex? Do you need to adjacent, or can you be within a certain distance of the body of water?
    • How do hurricanes move? Does it require concentration by the Master of the Hurricane to move it? At what speed? Does a creature need to be inside the hurricane to be affected by Storm Slam, or adjacent? Does the hurricane have reach?
    • I’d shorten the amount of time required to summon a hurricane to 2 rounds. It’s essential for the class’s abilities (at least so far) and a battle can easily be over in 5 rounds. 2 rounds is still a significant time investment, but isn’t quite as crippling.
    Again, I’m liking what I see so far. Keep it coming!

Katarl
    Are you using our content or some you’ve developed on your own? If you are using ours, let us know (in detail, please) how things work out and what changes/improvements you’d suggest.

As a final note, I’m leaving on the 25th to spend a semester studying in Hyderabad, India. I’m bringing my (hopefully healthy by then) computer and should have relatively decent internet access, but be aware that my participation may be a bit down. I still want to participate in the “project” and the PbP (if I make the cut, that is), but just know that I probably won’t be able to make tons of posts throughout the day.

Mephibosheth
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
    Dai Li PrC
    It’s looking better. Higher levels are definitely worth it now. I like the Destructive Resonance ability. It’s powerful and flavorful, but not automatically instant death. A couple of things though:
    • I’d start the damage for Gloves of Earth at 1d6 instead of 1d8, capping damage at 2d6 instead of 2d8. Also, I still think that Sneak Attack should only be applied to attacks with their Gloves of Earth. There’s just something about hurling boulders that says “imprecise” to me.
    • Any Dai Li would already have Spider Climb by this point. Perhaps have Dai Li levels and Earthbender levels stack for determining climb speed.
    • I think Gloves of Earth needs some clarification. Do they deal damage on a touch attack or a real attack (I assume real attack, but it should be clear)? If they hit and deal damage, can they initiate a grapple as well or do they have to forgo a damaging attack to initiate a grapple? Why require Improved Unarmed Strike for the ranged version but not the melee version? What’s the DC of the Wisdom check to overcome Earthbender DR?
    • I think you need to be a bit clearer about how the Earthen Bindings work. Especially, how do they interact with Earthbending? Are they secured automatically like the Iron Bands (if so, it would probably suffice to say they function like Iron Bands of Binding, except as noted)
    A. I figured since most benders are going to be picking up Improved unarmed strike anyway might as well start at the next step. But I'll give on the sneak attack.
    B. Good point and changed.
    C. Its either attack or grapple. Not both. I left that out on purpose. And its a real attack not a touch. I'll try to clarify that. The DC of the Wisdom check is whatever the other person rolls. Hence the "opposed Wisdom check" part of it. I would think its a matter of who's earthbending is more powerful as to if you penetrate the DR. And wisdom is the bending ability.
    D. Fixed that as well.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #157

Beholder

Okay, I've changed those things, and added the other abilities.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle View Post
    I'm fairly sure they were wolf bats.
    Fixed, they were wolf-bats

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Re: Water, Earth, Fire, and Air [class]

On the topic of nonbender classes, here are those I think should be availible, from Core, the Complete Series, and other sources:

Unrestricted: Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Rogue, Scout, Swashbuckler, Knight, Warblade, Crusader, Marshall, Samurai (kanachi's version, link below)

Restricted:
    Ranger (CW noncaster): Earth Kingdom
    The Ranger is a spiritual warrior who uses his bending not as a weapon but as a source of strength.
    Paladin (CW noncaster): Water Tribes
    The Paladin is a master of the healing arts of waterbending and a righteous defender of her tribe. (maybe replace mount w/ better healing?)
    Ninja: Air Nomads
    The Ninja is a mysterious agent of the Air Temples who uses ancient mystical techniques to "fade into the wind." (need to rework fluff, maybe change some abilities)
    Swordsage: Fire Nation
    The Swordsage trains constantly to master his body in the same sense as a firebender controls fire, channelling the destructive power of that element into his sword. (not sold on this one, maybe make unrestricted and replace with reworked soulknife?)

Any other classes from the same sources were left out beacause I felt they were inappropriate for the setting, either because they used standard magic or because they stank to the high heavens (yes, I'm looking at you, CW Samurai).

When the PbP comes, I'm planning either a Fire Nation or Water Tribe character. I think the campaign should be before - optimally just before, during and after - Sozin's comet arrives, allowing characters of any nation to be in the party and preventing strife based on nation, at least until disaster strikes. Also, I second the suggestion that the Avatar should not be in the party, no matter the time period.

If someone has Oriental Adventures, it might help considerably, especially for monsters if a party somehow ends up on the Spirit Realm (my copy is currently in Germany).

Kanachi's Samurai:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10215
    Last edited by X15lm204; 2006-12-13 at 06:09 PM.
    "Your sentence unfortunately happens to be the precise name of a long-forgotten deity with the portfolio 'destroying all life'." - Mewthario

Ah, the dread entity known only as "Okay, what if I set it on fire?" strikes once more. - The_Snark

Like Pokemon Nuzlockes? Come read Into the Dark: A Moemon Eternal v3 Storylocke.
    I also have an AO3 made of Homestucks.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Is the PbP filled up, by the way? I'd be interested in joining in, but I'm still a bit of a newb here, and have never played by post before. I do have a pretty good handle on the rules, though, and am typically willing to fill in whatever role needs filling.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Is the PbP filled up, by the way? I'd be interested in joining in, but I'm still a bit of a newb here, and have never played by post before. I do have a pretty good handle on the rules, though, and am typically willing to fill in whatever role needs filling.
    There is no PbP. Because this isn't finished yet.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #162

Yes, I know, but people have begun talking about it, and I was essentially wondering if I could get in on it when the time comes.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's up to the DM who joins, so I couldn't tell you whether you have a chance or not, but good luck! Oh, and don't mind Yuki-sama; he's crabby sometimes, but he's a good guy underneath.
    "Your sentence unfortunately happens to be the precise name of a long-forgotten deity with the portfolio 'destroying all life'." - Mewthario

Ah, the dread entity known only as "Okay, what if I set it on fire?" strikes once more. - The_Snark

Like Pokemon Nuzlockes? Come read Into the Dark: A Moemon Eternal v3 Storylocke.
    I also have an AO3 made of Homestucks.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HordeCommander5 View Post
    It's up to the DM who joins, so I couldn't tell you whether you have a chance or not, but good luck! Oh, and don't mind Yuki-sama; he's crabby sometimes, but he's a good guy underneath.
    Filthy lies.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

15. - Top - End - #165

And on the outside he's such a cute little girl.

Thanks. As I said, I basically know nothing about how that works.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Dude, I am totaly si. . . Siked? Yeah whatever.

I’m vastly anticipating the establishment of the pbp

See how I can spell anything exept easy words?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think it's Psyched*

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

I've been reading through this. and I think it's really coming together as far as classes and powers go, but after watching a couple episodes tonight, I can't help but wonder if it might be better to go the D20 modern route, and give everybody improved unarmed strike for free. That would better fit the sister character (I suck at remembering names) where she would start as either a smart or wise hero, and then become a water bender after two or three levels. I would say Earth benders favored Strong Heroes, Airbenders Fast heroes, Water benders wise heroes, and fire, probably Charismatic Heroes (if you follow the "force of personality" idea.) or fire benders as strong heroes and earth benders as tough heroes. This would also help because, as far as I can recall there seem to be no nonhuman intelligent creatures.

Something to consider.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

For monster conversions we need to recruit VT.

Though there is one very easy conversion...

Playtapus(sp)bear equals.....Owlbear with a diffrent anger level!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

"Platypus"

21. - Top - End - #171

Alright, this is my first ever PrC, so tell me exactly what you think. I was basically going for someone who would be very powerful in their chosen environment (sand), but this would be balanced by them being drastically less powerful anywhere else. Also, I should say that there isn’t a lot on sandbenders, so I inferred/blatantly made up a lot.

Sandbender

The Si Wong desert is harsh and inhospitable, and even the most prepared traveler risks death upon every trespass into that wasteland. The desert is not wholly devoid of travelers, however; the sandbenders of the Si Wong desert have found away to manipulate the desert’s most plentiful resource into a useful tool and deadly weapon. They pilot their sailers, sailboats mounted on runners, through the desert, pushing them to swift speeds with their sandbending techniques.

The sandbenders are primarily focused on survival, and will resort to theft or subterfuge to do so. As such, many sandbenders come from rangers or scouts, although there are a few rogues who become sandbenders. All sandbenders must be able to earthbend, as well as have some knowledge of how to survive the desert by mundane means.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements: To become a sandbender, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria:
    Skills: Survival 5 ranks, concentration 5 ranks, spot 8 ranks, listen 5 ranks
    Feats: endurance, self sufficient
    Abilities: Must know the earthbending forms Tremorsense and Dust Cloud
    Special: Must be a member of one of the tribes of the Si Wong desert

Class Skills: Craft, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (geography), Listen, Ride, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Survival, Use rope
    Skill points at each level: 4 + int modifier

Class Features:
    Base attack bonus: 3/4 the sandbender level (as the cleric), good fortitude and will save progressions, bad reflex save progression

level ability
    1 Sand blast 1d6, lesser sandstorm
    2 Immobility
    3 Sand blast 2d6
    5 Burrow 10ft, greater tremorsense
    6 Sand blast 3d6, sandstorm
    8 Engulf
    9 Sand blast 4d6, burrow 15ft
    10 Greater sandstorm

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sandbenders gain no proficiency with weapons or armor

Sand Blast (su):As the ability earth blast, except it may only be used to manipulate sand. Sand blast stacks with earth blast for the purposes of damage and ranges, but only when used to manipulate sand.

Lesser Sandstorm (su): As a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity, a sandbender may call up a small whirlwind of sand. The primary use of this ability is to propel the sandbender sailers by having sand push against the sail. This moves the sailer at a rate of 60 ft per round. This ability may also be used to immerse a five foot square in a small whirlwind, giving cover to anyone in the square, but also giving them a -2 attack penalty, and forcing them to make a DC 15 + spell level concentration check whenever they cast a spell. Moving out of the square negates these effects. Lesser sandstorm has no effect on creatures with an area larger than five feet. Maintaining this ability is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity, and it stops the round in which you stop concentrating.

Immobility (su): Sandbenders are exceptionally stable on the sand, and they can even use the sand to lock themselves into place. The sandbender may use this ability to be held mobile, making him immune to trip attacks, bull rushes, and being picked up or carried. While this ability is in effect the sandbender may not move. He may choose to end the effect as a free action, but if he does so then he may not use it again until the next round. Becoming immobile is a move action that doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. (Note: I almost called this ability sand stand, but thought that would be excessively silly.)

Burrow (su): Upon reaching the fifth level, sandbenders gain a burrow speed of 10 ft, but only through sand. While burrowing a sandbender leaves no hole or visible trace, but he is also unable to breathe while beneath the sand. Normal rules for suffocation apply. A ninth level sandbender’s burrow speed increases to 15 ft.

Greater Tremorsense (su): At level five, a sandbender increases his tremorsense ability. He may now sense objects at a range of 60 feet. This is not halved by sand or loose rock. This ability may only be used if the sandbender is touching sand, and only if this sand forms a continuous path to wherever the sandbender wants to sense; otherwise, this ability is treated as tremorsense.
    Sandstorm (su): As lesser sandstorm, except as follows. It affects a twenty foot radius area as if by a strong wind. Also, sight in the area is obscured as if by obscuring mist, and anyone with unprotected eyes must make a DC (10 + ½ the sandbender’s character level + the sandbender’s wisdom modifier) fortitude save or be blinded. Leaving the area of effect and spending a full round action to clear their eyes ends the blindness. Sandstorm causes light damage to any objects caught in the area, though this effect is negligible for short periods of time. Any mechanical object caught in the area has a 75% chance of being rendered inoperable because of sand caught in the moving parts, and a full day must be spent cleaning the device for it to work again. Sandstorm automatically disperses any swarms caught completely in the area.

Engulf (su): A sandbender may attempt to encase a medium or smaller creature in a cocoon of sand, suffocating them. Using this ability is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The target gets a reflex save DC (10 + ½ the sandbender’s character level + the sandbender’s wisdom modifier) to negate the effect. If he doesn’t, then he is enveloped in a stiff cocoon of sand, rendered immobile and unable to breathe. A sandbender must concentrate on this ability to maintain it, though he can tell if the target has died, and choose to end the ability any time as a free action. The cocoon may be burst with a DC 23 strength check, though any attempt to do so doubles the effect of suffocation for that round. (That is, if a character is engulfed in sand for three rounds, then spends a round trying to break out with a strength check (unsuccessfully), the character is then considered to have been engulfed for five rounds, for the purposes of determining suffocation.) Creatures with a burrow speed are immune to this effect. Creatures that don’t breathe cannot be killed by engulf, but they may still be rendered immobile.

Greater Sandstorm (su): As sandstorm, except as follows. This ability affects a forty foot radius as if by a severe wind. Additionally, anyone caught in the effect is buried at a rate of one half a foot per round. Anyone partially buried may not move, though the character may spend a move action to unbury himself by half a foot of sand. Movement in the area is reduced by ten feet, to a minimum of five feet. Flight is impossible in the area of effect. Any creature at least half as large as the area of effect is unaffected by greater sandstorm. Note that this ability doesn’t change the elevation of the area of effect. People are buried because the ability displaces sand then replaces it. The shifting sand is what causes people to sink, it isn’t because the sand is piled on.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think tremmorsense should be a requirement. Afterall the sand seems to nerf it. Toh can't see on sand very well.

23. - Top - End - #173

Beholder

I don't want to complain, since I like the idea of Sandbenders, but I think maybe sandbending should be a feat for Earthbenders.

Sandbending
    Prerequesits: Move a Rock
    Benefit: An Earthbender may manipulate sand just as easily as earth or stone.
    Normal: An Earthbender may only manipulate solid objects such as rock.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Ing View Post
    I don't think tremmorsense should be a requirement. Afterall the sand seems to nerf it. Toh can't see on sand very well.
    Well, I was going to put the requriement as "At least 2 earthbending forms," but decided to restrict the forms so they would be more sandbender-y. The tremorsense seemed to make sense to me, because I had already planned to put in improved tremorsense. Maybe that doesn't work, though. It wouldn't be a big thing to change it. I'll consider the change.

Quote Originally Posted by CaelCyndar1993 View Post
    I don't want to complain, since I like the idea of Sandbenders, but I think maybe sandbending should be a feat for Earthbenders.

Sandbending
    Prerequesits: Move a Rock
    Benefit: An Earthbender may manipulate sand just as easily as earth or stone.
    Normal: An Earthbender may only manipulate solid objects such as rock.
    But that's the thing, earthbenders can already bend sand, as Toph demonstrated. I think of these guys as more specialized earthbenders rather than earthbenders who have gained the ability to bend sand. That's why the "blast" abilities stack, for example. Anyways, how else are they going to do that boat-propelling whirlwind thing?

25. - Top - End - #175

Some new content for everyone to review and critique. Let me know what you think, especially about the Flying Bison's CR.

Sky Bison

Huge Magical Beast
    HD: 9d10+45 (94 HP)
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares); Fly 60 ft (Good)
    Init: +2
    AC: 17 (-2 size, +2 dex, +7 natural armor); touch 10; flat-footed 15
    BAB: +9; Grp +29
    Attack: Bite +16 (1d8+8) or Tail Slap +15 (2d6+8)
    Full-Attack: Bite +16 (1d8+8) or Tail Slap +15 (2d6+8)
    Space: 15 ft.; Reach: 10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Toss, Air Blast
    Special Qualities: Darkvision (60 ft), Low-Light Vision, Scent
    Saves: Fort +11 Ref +8 Will +5
    Abilities: Str 26, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 10
    Skills: Jump +20, Spot +6, Listen +6, Swim +13
    Feats: Ability Focus (Air Blast), Weapon Focus (Bite), Improved Grapple, Flyby Attack
    Environment: any hills
    Organization: Solitary or herd (2-8 Bison) – often accompanied by Air Nomads
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: None (if unaccompanied) or half normal (if accompanied by an Air Nomad)
    Alignment: usually Neutral
    Advancement: 10-20 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment:

Sky Bison are rarely seen outside of Air Nomad communities. They are large creatures with white fur and a brown arrow mark running from the tip of their tail to the top of their heads. Sky Bison have six legs with wide feet and long curving horns on their heads. They are large, bulky creatures, approximately 20 feet long, standing 10 feet high, and weighing about 6000 lbs.

Combat
    Sky Bison are usually quite docile and friendly, but if provoked they can become intelligent foes who use their bulk and their special abilities to great effect.
    Improved Grab – To use this ability, a Sky Bison must hit a creature of size large or smaller with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
    If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can attempt to Toss the opponent in the following round.
    Toss – If a Sky Bison has successfully initiated a grapple with a creature size medium or smaller, he/she may attempt to Toss the grappled creature with an opposed grapple check (a standard action). If the Sky Bison loses this grapple check, the Toss attempt fails and the Sky Bison drops the creature (who lands prone adjacent to the Flying Bison in a square of the Flying Bison’s choice). If the Sky Bison wins this grapple check, the opponent is tossed 10 ft + 5 additional feat for every 5 by which the Sky Bison won the grapple check. The opponent lands prone, moving the Toss distance in a straight line chosen by the Sky Bison.
    Air Blast – Using his/her broad, flat tail, a Sky Bison can create an Air Blast with an Airbender class level equal to 5 + the Sky Bison’s hit dice as a standard action. A Sky Bison cannot use a full attack action to create multiple Air Blasts. This ability functions identically to the Airbender class ability.
    Skills – Sky Bison have a +2 racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks, a +4 racial bonus to Jump checks, and a +5 racial bonus to Swim checks.

And, a new Earthbending form. I think this one hasn't been crafted previously. If it has, I apologize.

Column of Earth – Using this form, an Earthbender can cause a column of earth, stone, or crystal to thrust out of any earthen surface. The column has a maximum diameter of 5 ft + 5 ft per 4 Earthbender levels, and can have a maximum height of 10 ft + 5 ft per 2 Earthbender levels. An Earthbender can create a column anywhere within a 30 foot radius of him/herself. If an Earthbender creates a column underneath another creature, that creature is allowed a Reflex Save (DC 10 + half the Earthbender’s hit dice + the Earthbender’s Wisdom modifier) to avoid the column (the creature moves to the closest square adjacent to the column on a successful save). If the Earthbender causes a column to crush a creature against a solid surface, the creature takes 4d6 damage. The creature is then pinned between the solid surface and the column, but can escape with a DC 30 Strength or Escape Artist check.

Let me know what you think.

Mephibosheth
    Last edited by Mephibosheth; 2006-12-15 at 11:40 AM.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

I really don't think Toss should be usable on anything larger than Medium. Possibly Large.

27. - Top - End - #177

Yeah, you're probably right. *makes change*

Mephibosheth
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

...Why do Flying Bisons get the +10 bonus to Swim checks and the ability to always take 10 on said checks if they don't have a swim speed?

29. - Top - End - #179

I just kinda threw that in as an afterthought, since Appa was pretty good at swimming (and could swim long distances, if the first few episodes are to be believed). Maybe I'll reduce the bonus to +5 or so and remove the ability to take 10. I think that Flying Bison should be able to swim pretty well, but I can see where taking 10 doesn't really fit.

Mephibosheth
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #180

A minor thing - I believe that sky bisons have wide feet, not wide feat. Also, I believe they are called sky bisons typically, and not flying bisons.