The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Funniest ways to "kill" the Tarrasque

I don't care if you've actually done it the way you describe it, or if it's just a theoretical win. Gimme your best and funniest Tarrasque victories. I chose the Tarrasque cause he was the first big time enemy my first party ever faced and I personally love the big lug. I have fought him a couple of times and I have never "killed" him the same way in all the encounters I've had with him.

A couple examples I have, whether or not they're funny of course.

Greater Teleport the Tarrasque several thousand feet into the air. It was almost a complete party wipe and I was down to my last spell. I got past his SR, he failed the save, and we both went straight up. I used freedom of movement to get away from his grip and feather fell the entire distance. Once he hit the ground our Wizard wished him into the sun. And yes the party did yell at me for not just Greater Teleporting them away from the Tarrasque.

An Evil campaign I was a part of managed to gain the favor of Graz'zt. And by gain the favor of, I mean our blackguard sold the souls of everyone but himself in order to obtain a high level position in Graz'zt's army and gain an army of demons to summon at his command. (We learned this rather late and were pretty much boned by the time the last of us died). Suffice to say we had an army of demons slowly, but surely, drag the Tarrasque down to the underworld where Graz'zt promptly sent him after Orcus. The DM even allowed our blackguard to control the Tarrasque in a rather epic fight against Orcus. Orcus eventually won, but he was damaged badly enough for Graz'zt to give a fatal blow to him. We then immediately started an all good campaign at epic level which was sent off on a quest to figure out what the hell was going on.

Third and final...

We were bored at one point and just started going through the MM looking at interesting monsters and coming up with fun ways to fight them. After a while we got to T and read through the Tarrasque's "Swallow Whole" ability. It said that his stomach was capable of holding 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium, 128 Small, or 512 Tiny or smaller creatures. So my buddy randomly chimes in with "what if an army of gnomes trained their entire lives solely to take on the Tarrasque." We all laughed for a good hour coming up with ridiculous outcomes and tactics for it. After a while we all started taking notes. Once we ran out of ideas we looked right at our usual DM and said "Let's test this out!"

So 6 of us each created 25 gnomes specially designed to take on the Tarrasque based solely on what we "knew" from legend. All gnomes were level 16 and their only back story was that they were recruited at a very young age to train and fight one enemy. Soon enough the DM was ready to send a Tarrasque after our l50 gnome army which was primarily fighters, rangers, monks, and bards. We threw in a few casters and rogues here and there, but our main focus was solely melee based and buffing that melee up as much as possible. What happened next was the single longest series of fumbles, crits, and hilarious moments that I've ever experienced in DnD. Over a hundred gnomes died that day. But damn it we beat that Tarrasque!

Those are my 3 best examples, what do you guys have?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Funniest ways to "kill" the Tarrasque

I came up with another one while helping a buddy of mine make an island for an old wizard to place his tower/school on. He had millions of gold to burn so we invested in a rather large army of golem guards of various CR. One of the things we found was making Effigy monsters. One of the things that can be made into an Effigy is in fact the Tarrasque. yea it cost somewhere around 150,000 gold to make one of them, but if you can gather a bunch of money from the wealthier residents of the area you could have an army of effigy Tarrasque. So why not sick that army after the real deal? How fun would it be to nail a Tarrasque with an army of golem like Tarrasque?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Or making Simulcra/Ice Assassins of it.

Would that spell that hurts the person someone loves work? You could have someone fall in love with Big T, and proceed to cast that on them.

Or Gate in a black hole.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Note that teleporting the Tarrasque anywhere requires it to be willing or to knock it out first. And even then, you're better off dropping it in the ocean than trying to use falling damage (which it will ignore due to its regeneration.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A little background: I was playing one warlock through all of our campaigns, (gaining and losing levels as necessary via backstory) the inside joke being that he was like The Doctor. well our campaign switched between eberron, dragonlance and forgotten realms via the Warlock's curse.

the curse? intermintently jumping between realities, often bringing the party along, so one day we're attempting to topple a drow stronghold in a homebrew world and (when the campaign was broken due to a DM mistake in throwing 45 drow at us in a cave, which we annilated and gained way too much experience for putting us out of level range) then everyone is sucked into faerun, where we promptly notice the tarrasque is sleeping getting the great idea of attempting to tame it, i use dimention door to get to its neck where i attempt to ride it.

then the dice kick in, as periodically i had a 1% chance of campaign-shifting when i did something that took concentration (spellcasting in combat being one)

I vanish, taking the tarrasque with me to the old campaign world, at which point the party wizard uses some magic item(bracelet of friends?) to summon me back while leaving the tarrasque to ravage the drow.

P.S. the curse had mechanics for which campaign it'd drop me into, but id always appear where i had left from.
    Under no circumstances should a player die, that's not to say a DM should go easy on a player, but rather as a player, one should be intelligent, one should understand their limits, and know when not to push the big red button.

dead players aren't fun to DM for. If your DM has taken the time to create a world for you, please don't litter it with PC corpses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Does marrying the tarrasque count as defeat? if so, then my Succubus Bard/Marshal won.

Spoiler
    Show
    Belladonis Campaign Setting 3.5
    Casting as a Skill

Learn from your mistakes, 3.5...
    Fill in those dead levels...

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Welcome to the World Serpent Inn!
    Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

Extended Signature (90% complete)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Not sure this works, but I would look at Planshifting to the most dangerous place in existence, then gate Big T to your location, then planeshift back, leaving him stranded.

The positive energy would cause him to explode just like everything else.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    The positive energy would cause him to explode just like everything else.
    What if he exploded and then… And then exploded again?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

DEGENERATION 92: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

1. Put skill ranks into Profession (Novelist)
    2. Write the Twilight book series and 50 Shades of Grey series in the campaign world.
    3. Use the Wish spell to have the entire contents of both series simultaneously read into it's mind.
    4. Watch the Tarrasque go comatose and it's brain shut off for all eternity.
    5. Evil laugh.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

You can't force unique creatures through a Gate.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Low int.

Just wave meat in front of it, or entice it some other way. Get it to charge you through the gate if you have to. Poke it with a stick!

Forcing isn't a problem, just a wrinkle in the plan.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

hurl a half dozen instant fortresses into its gizzard when it swallows you. you're safe, its not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting as a Skill

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Trick it into biting it's tail and using its swallow whole ability. Watch the Tarrasque blinks out of existence as it tries to eat itself.

*WARNING* This may also cause a black hole to form.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Have it swallow a Decanter of Endless Water. Use "Shout" to turn on the Geyser. Fill Big T with thousands and millions of gallons of water.

Use "Heroes Feast" to feed the Tarrasque every day. It's not evil, it's just way hungry after sleeping for a few hundred years. Keep feeding it until it goes back to sleep. This method approved by the Grandmother's Guild of Thanksgiving Dinner Preparers.

Use any flying ability to get above it. It can't jump very high. Keep dropping stuff that does non-regenerate damage (check with DM - acid?). Or keep taunting it from just out of reach and lead it away from your friends and toward your enemies. The Tarrasque is a wonderful way to depopulate a border region so you can seize it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The Tarrasque is a wonderful way to depopulate a border region so you can seize it.
    Yeah...then said region is populated by a Tarrasque....so not an improvement.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Yeah...then said region is populated by a Tarrasque....so not an improvement.
    Big T roams for a few weeks, then takes a centuries long nap. Not too long a wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Vastly View Post
    1. Put skill ranks into Profession (Novelist)
    2. Write the Twilight book series and 50 Shades of Grey series in the campaign world.
    3. Use the Wish spell to have the entire contents of both series simultaneously read into it's mind.
    4. Watch the Tarrasque go comatose and it's brain shut off for all eternity.
    5. Evil laugh.

You need NEGATIVE ranks in Profession(novelist). Put your ranks into Profession(salesman).
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2013-06-12 at 12:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Cast undermaster, then cast celerity and bury it under millions of cubic feet of earth. Go back to bed, dammit!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    Cast undermaster, then cast celerity and bury it under millions of cubic feet of earth. Go back to bed, dammit!
    "I dun wanna! I aven't had my dessert yet!"
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Keep dropping stuff that does non-regenerate damage (check with DM - acid?).
    While acid will stop a troll's regeneration, it won't with the Tarrasque. Nothing gets past the Tarrasque's regeneration.

Now, unlike several other forms of damage, it isn't outright immune to acid, so you could still do this. It'd just take a heck of a lot of acid, to do more damage in every round than it can regenerate.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

My DM wanted us to know we weren't the big guns in the world (this was in the early days of 3.5) and was leafing through the MM to figure out how to show his 8th level party who was boss. So he pulled out the tarresque.

We all cursed like 14 year olds (repeatedly using fairly benign words) and ran away. It didn't chase us for long, but it gave us an idea. We used illusion magic (I was a gnome illusionist) to lead it towards a kingdom we'd angered (the reason why the DM wanted us to realize the world was not our sandbox). By then the tarresque was really hungry and sick of chasing a herd of buffalo that always outran him (not quite always, we also summoned a few celestial buffalo for him to catch).

So started terrorizing town.

You know the old adage when in doubt, kill it with fire? We had it in the middle of town surrounded by wooded buildings, so we just set the town on fire. Nobody could stop the fire because of the tarresque, and the tarresque got really badly burned. The DM exiled us from the campaign world for burning down the only city he'd detailed in it (which also happened to be the capital of the primary kingdom.)

The tarresque "died" with the world I guess.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I created an epic spell, origin of species tarrasque. It was an ******* spell to cast, requires ungodly numbers of spell level participants in a week long ritual, but we created a breedable mate for the original tarasque.

They bred *really* fast. Like rabbits. And those babies grew in a matter of days. Within a few months the entire planet was devoid of food of any kind, and the entire tarrasque race starved to death. Then I reanimated their corpses to take over hell. Even asmodeus himself couldnt stand up to hundreds of thousands of undead tarrasque charging him down.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Research a new Spell: Summon Spanish Inquisition.

Catch him off guard, Because NO ONE, not even Big T, expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Profit!
    Proud owner of one internet and three cookies

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Feyrmind, did your DM not notice that the Tarrasque is immune to fire?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Note that teleporting the Tarrasque anywhere requires it to be willing or to knock it out first. And even then, you're better off dropping it in the ocean than trying to use falling damage (which it will ignore due to its regeneration.)
    oh yea, forgot to mention that the DM homebrewed teleport a bit for chuckles. Basically any "unwilling" target could make a will save to not go where the teleport would take them. Also because the falling damage is all one set rather than separate damage, the Tarrasque would only soak 15 damage from the several hundred D6.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    What if he exploded and then… And then exploded again?
    That's exactly what would happen, in fact. Over and over. All-natural fireworks!

Quote Originally Posted by NeroMcNamara View Post
    Also because the falling damage is all one set rather than separate damage, the Tarrasque would only soak 15 damage from the several hundred D6.
    I think you mean the other way around, because that makes no sense. (Also, falling damage is not subject to DR, for what that's worth.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    I think you mean the other way around, because that makes no sense. (Also, falling damage is not subject to DR, for what that's worth.)
    falling damage is also capped at 20d6, meaning it wouldnt suffer hundreds of d6...

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting as a Skill

Abrothia's Vision
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

- - - IC - - - OOC - - -

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordErebus12 View Post
    falling damage is also capped at 20d6, meaning it wouldnt suffer hundreds of d6...
    I always found it weird that terminal velocity was one of the ruleset's biggest nods to real-world physics existing. It's certainly not "Rule of Cool." And weird things can end up happening with the limit.

Ah well. As DM, I am partial to terrain challenges, and height being a non-issue later in the game (supposing that somehow they can't teleport or fly...it does happen) is kind of disappointing. Oh well.

Anyway, what I normally do is just send a large rock/creature/object after the falling creature after a moment.

Also, I like the matchup between terminal velocity capping falling damage, but falling object damage is not likewise capped (making a number of "I Drop Big Things" builds possible).

Anyway, enough rambling! To the OP, I actually almost never use the Tarrasque. Pretty cliched, in my mind, and there being only one, yet it pops up in every campaign that gets past a certain level. Just weird. In any case, the funniest way to kill it is mirror of opposition or Aleax tricks, lock it in endless combat with itself in some cavern somewhere. It overcomes it's own DR, but I think the regen still holds, meaning they just keep slugging it out forever.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I made a level 22 Druid that turned into a Gerivar with feats and a few buffs (including Arms of the Grillon) that got 24 vorporal attacks per round with AC about 95 and about a bagillion hp, doing 750 - 900 damage per round with DR 10/adamantite and magic, regen 8, only gotten around by cold or acid, with a buttload of immunities, including immunity to cold and resist acid 60.

is the terrasque vulnerable to vorporal? I dont think he would die, but it would hurt I think!

But he could solo the Terraspue with no epic spell casting and not even level 9 spells.

EDIT: other than Miracle
    Last edited by Immabozo; 2013-06-12 at 08:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Note that teleporting the Tarrasque anywhere requires you have to be willing or to knock it out first then, you're better off dropping it in the ocean than to use falling damage (which it will ignore due to its regeneration.)
    Not to mention (if my math is correct) to teleport a collosal creature you have to be 48th level. By then taking on the tarrasque should be small potatoes even for a martial character.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    While acid will stop a troll's regeneration, it won't with the Tarrasque. Nothing gets past the Tarrasque's regeneration.

Now, unlike several other forms of damage, it isn't outright immune to acid, so you could still do this. It'd just take a heck of a lot of acid, to do more damage in every round than it can regenerate.
    I'm not 100% positive, but doesn't Vile damage technically override Big T's regeneration?

The Power of the Orient: A Wu Jen Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. Kemp
    Frankly, I think the designers and novelists did great work in the post-Spellplague Realms. But, in the end, this wasn’t a new setting. It was the Realms, the Realms 100 years later, and therein lay the problem.