New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XV: The Weasel, the Spark, and the Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Why is there a werewolf in the Refuge of Storms? And was it going after them, or the Smoke Knight? Is the werewolf wearing GLASSES????
    He's a failed Storm King
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    By Beechnut! By gum! You're RIGHT!

I wonder if he's why they haven't been caught a dozen times so far. If he's been following them... and wiping out everyone trying to sneak up on them... But why? Maybe it's the weasel and Krosp who have attracted his attention. Or maybe he can tell they're trying to get out, and he wants to leave, too...

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder if he's why they haven't been caught a dozen times so far. If he's been following them... and wiping out everyone trying to sneak up on them... But why? Maybe it's the weasel and Krosp who have attracted his attention. Or maybe he can tell they're trying to get out, and he wants to leave, too...
    Or, like anyone else of the line, he wants to use the Hetrodyne to make a claim on the throne as well. :D
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Or, like anyone else of the line, he wants to use the Hetrodyne to make a claim on the throne as well. :D
    I hope the werewolf does join up because I just love the idea of the werewolf storm king and the emperor of all cats krosp spending all their time fighting like

/puts on sunglasses

cats and dogs

YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I hope the werewolf does join up because I just love the idea of the werewolf storm king and the emperor of all cats krosp spending all their time fighting like

/puts on sunglasses

cats and dogs

YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
    We obviously want Krosp and the werewolf to govern Europa while Agatha is time traveling so that it's reigning cats and dogs.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, after that werewolf catch I'm sure I'm not pointing out anything new, but still, I hadn't realized this before...

There's this monster in the cellars of Mechanicsburg, and it's called Franz.

It's that Franz.

2½ years between the first mention and his appearance. The Foglios sure know their foreshadowing, pity the story proceeds so slowly.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    2½ years between the first mention and his appearance. The Foglios sure know their foreshadowing, pity the story proceeds so slowly.
    I went on an archive trawl on a whim, and the pacing is a lot better when you don't have to wait two or three days for the next page.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I went on an archive trawl on a whim, and the pacing is a lot better when you don't have to wait two or three days for the next page.
    For me, it's true only for the first few books, about until the Sturmhalten arc. There things start to slow down, and they slow down even more in Mechanicsburg. But yeah, it's better than viewing it online.
    Guess what spell I cast before posting this message.

9. - Top - End - #129

Wait, does this mean that Klaus's story was true?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by anon62453 View Post
    Wait, does this mean that Klaus's story was true?
    I assume all things are true until proven otherwise. At a minimum, there's always a seed of truth. :P

Which is why I'm still waiting to see the undead Hetrodyne vampire.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

We obviously want Krosp and the werewolf to govern Europa while Agatha is time traveling so that it's reigning cats and dogs.
    You win the thread.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Never ever do that again! :P
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    You win the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    Never ever do that again! :P
    (snrks)
    Takes all kinds? xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

NOOOOO! Elvis! In the first panel, it's ELVIS!!! WHY, GOD, WHY???????????

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh heck it's not a werewolf Storm King. I am disappoint.

I wanna see Tweedle's singing little bears!!!

Agatha's ticked. Tweedle's underestimating her again. She's going to get them out of there if she has to blow the whole fortress up and use that to launch them in a homemade space capsule into orbit. Of course, where they'd come down...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

And right after he mentioned they needed to quit underestimating each other.

And Agatha'd have no issues with the falling part of your space capsule. It'd be the sudden stop she'd have to Spark her way around. Perhaps the capsule is pure rubber?

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Possible theory:

Spoiler
    Show
    The body chemistry changes make Agatha at least partially register as Tweedle.

Though the most likely answer at this stage is that he doesn't want Agatha dead, which makes the sparkhound a less than ideal retrieval method, from the looks of it.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2013-06-26 at 05:36 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Eh, they said the hounds are really smart. Probably enough to work off a description of 'This is Agatha, don't bother with her as I'll handle her. Don't go after her companions either.'

Don't be stupid.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help but think that there's another player here. Even if the Sparkhounds are smart enough to recognize Agatha and Violetta and follow an "ignore these people" order, why would Tweedle have them go after Smoke Knights? He just got done recruiting a bunch of them. Sure, I'd buy that there could be more in the castle that aren't listening to Tweedle, but sending out Sparkhounds to hunt Smoke Knights when he's actively using Smoke Knights to hunt Agatha seems like a terrible waste of resources, even for an angry spark.

Edit: spelling corrections
    Last edited by Ailurus; 2013-06-26 at 07:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help but think that there's another player here. Even if the Sparkhounds are smart enough to recognize Agatha and Violetta and follow an "ignore these people" order, why would Tweedle have them go after Smoke Knights? He just got done recruiting a bunch of them. Sure, I'd buy that there could be more in the castle that aren't listening to Tweedle, but sending out Sparkhounds to hunt Smoke Knights when he's actively using Smoke Knights to hunt Agatha seems like a terrible waste of resources, even for an angry spark.

Edit: spelling corrections
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's because he hasn't gotten the knights of Jove united behind him. He recruited one crew of smoke knights, but their are other family members and possible storm-kings-to-be that are not willing to let him take over again... Basically Tweedle's using the sparkhounds to hunt down the smoke knights and family members that are still refusing to follow him. That dead "elvis" in the first panel is most likely another family member.

Furtharmore, if the sparkhounds are REALLY smart, they may be able to know which knights to kill and which to spare
    Last edited by slayerx; 2013-06-26 at 08:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

So, more speculation on Tweedle. Has he, like Tavek, been hiding his true abilities from the rest of his family? The clan does seem keen on that sort of behavior. Tavek, despite possessing incredible combat skills (the equal of Gil's!), was unwilling to utilize them and break character even when Lady Vrin was hacking him into a badly butchered slab of meat, for example, and saved them for the right moment (an entirely pointless fight with Gil, in which he was never in any real danger). And it would fit with the extremely secret laboratory angle as well, explaining why he needs such a place to hide when he's working on SCIENCE!

He's certainly made an effort to hide his capabilities. Tavek concedes that he's 'good in a fight', but doesn't give him much credit beyond that. So perhaps, this is him obfuscating his abilities. And besides, the entire clan seems the sort to plot and scheme in their sleep.

However, I can't accept it. Because if I do, that means I accept that a Spark has enough control over their madness to endlessly go over the same material and focus on the same thing, without ever slipping up. Now I'll believe a lot about the Spark, but not that anybody can control it to such an extent. Perhaps Martellus is a very weak spark, but he doesn't seem to be. What with the poisons, the robotic hand, and the altering somebodies body chemistry so they depend on his touch to survive, and the ability to turn other people's smoke knights into minions near instantaneously.

Which means, most likely, Martellus actually does get really worked up about tiny singing bears, has some bizarre fascination with them, that he doesn't understand other people's relative incomprehension about. I'd like to believe so, anyway.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2013-06-27 at 02:05 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know about that…

Baron Wulfenbach seems to have very good control over his Spark.

The Spark is probably a little different for every person that has it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #142
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    So, more speculation on Tweedle. Has he, like Tavek, been hiding his true abilities from the rest of his family?
    Given Violetta's reaction, I think it's more likely that Tweedle used to be a sort of nice person who was happy making singing bears, and she's horrified by what a few years of trying to survive in the cut-throat world of her family has done to him.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Baron Wulfenbach seems to have very good control over his Spark.

The Spark is probably a little different for every person that has it.
    Sure, but the good baron is more of the example that proves the rule. Since he's also apparently uniquely capable of comprehending and reverse-engineering other people's techniques (only 'bigger' and 'better'). That aspect has been allowed to slide a bit, or at least it's significance since other Sparks are showing the ability, but even so he's a bit of a special case. That, and we only see him in a (possible) madness fugue state once, and that's when he's just killed Lars.

But Sparks are eccentric. All of them. They aren't concerned with why beyond 'because I can!' and they don't worry about whether or not whatever they are doing actually helps them most of the time. Now sure, Lucrezia had a whole range of long term plans in place, and built stuff to help her work towards her goal, but she also (for instance) built a giant cannon that only shoots marshmallows. Why? Who can tell? It's the sort of thing Sparks do, because it happens to be floating through their mind when they get worked up. Like why Agatha made coffee, or why a spark gave Boris an extra set of arms. I mean, what did he need a juggler for anyway?

So Tweedle gets makes Teddy Bears that sing. Perhaps he's hiding something, perhaps he really likes them. Maybe tiny little tunes aren't enough, he wants a teddy bear that can sing the entire Storm King Opera at his eventual coronation, not just playing it but actually singing the words with real emotion. Perhaps he want's an entire choir of Teddy Bears gloriously proclaiming his ascension in perfect harmony (which actually sounds pretty awesome), to sing at his eventual wedding and to spread word throughout the land.

Where meanwhile, everyone else has demonstrated a compulsive, overwhelming break from reality as they go obsessive and slowly lose their grip on the situation. Now perhaps Tweedle is the only guy who can successfully channel that overwhelming impulse to play havoc with science into Teddy Bears so as to hide his real ability and make everyone under-estimate him, stranger things have happened. However, I'd prefer to believe that he's just a bit eccentric and prone to whimsy then that he's got some sort of mental power that takes the 'mad' out of mad scientist. For one thing, if he could control the Spark, and make it do whatever he wanted rather then whatever it fixates on, not only would it mess with one of the core themes of the narrative (mad scientists run the world. badly), but it would suggest he's not merely hiding his genius, but he's hiding the sort of will power that allows him to practically defy reality. And if he did have that, he'd have no reason to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Given Violetta's reaction, I think it's more likely that Tweedle used to be a sort of nice person who was happy making singing bears, and she's horrified by what a few years of trying to survive in the cut-throat world of her family has done to him.
    I like this explanation. He just wanted to fiddle around with making things to amuse him that weren't hurting anyone, then his genealogy came up, some other branch of the Order wanted to undermine the prince and backed him, given he was a close favorite to ascend, and suddenly he had to get really vicious really quick if he wanted to survive.

Suddenly he reminds me of Gil in the first book, and his lack of a Death Ray.
    Last edited by Cracklord; 2013-06-27 at 02:17 AM.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Dr. Dimitri still makes bears. Maybe he was Tweedle's early mentor.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

It is possible Tweedle was always the super fighter and murderous rounder he is now, and the small singing bears (I WANNA SEE THEM SO BAD!!) were subterfuge. He wanted to research biological construction; he knew if he started by building Sparkhounds right off, the Family and/or the Knights of Jove would notice and that might mark him for early 'weeding'; so he built bears. Tweedle may not be much for intrigue but he's obviously not stupid. Except with regard to Agatha.

(Most Sparks seem to specialize in certain fields. Agatha in mechanics and 'bot tech, or Gil in biology, for instance. Tweedle also seems to be a biological Spark; so far he's messed with Agatha's body chemistry and built creatures.

I wonder if his superhuman fighting ability is natural or if he enhanced himself?)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I would not say that Gil specializes in biology. While he is good at it, he has done a lot of high level purely mechanical stuff. The Fencing Clank, the Flyer and his Lightning Stick for instance.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

27. - Top - End - #147

I was speculating that whatever the spark enhancement technique they used on Lucrezia (that may or may not have turned her into the other) is what they also used on Martellus.

28. - Top - End - #148

He wanted to research biological construction; he knew if he started by building Sparkhounds right off, the Family and/or the Knights of Jove would notice and that might mark him for early 'weeding'; so he built bears.
    I thought Agatha's story about her grandfather made this clear: Martellus did not invent or build the sparkhounds. They were around during Dr. Mongfish's time (the Dr. Mongfish that was Lucrezia's father). Martellus either (1) improved upon the existing sparkhound or (2) figured out how to contorl them. Given that he figured out chemistry for "controlling" Agatha, his spark may just be in chemical alterations to biological organisms.
    Last edited by anon62453; 2013-06-27 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Grammatical error

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

I thought Agatha's story about her grandfather made this clear: Martellus did not invent or build the sparkhounds. They were around during Dr. Mongfish's time (the Dr. Mongfish that was Lucrezia's father). Martellus either (1) improved upon the existing sparkhound or (2) figured out how to contorl them. Given that he figured out chemistry for "controlling" Agatha, his spark may just be in chemical alterations to biological organisms.
    Or 3), just build some hounds himself because they are mean killing machines that can outwitt their opponents.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

Talking about foreboding, how about this one: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20120130

This will give Gil motivation to accept Tarvek as stormking.