New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Kerbals in Spaaaaace!

:( Rowsdower will leave Squad next week (today's devnotes). He was legitimately awesome and often on the subreddit too.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm getting better at managing my game time more efficiently; for the first time, I now have two ships with incercept courses for two different orbital bodies at the same time! Despite being launched much, much earlier, the Duna Base I's intercept will occur ten days after the Gilly III's Eve intercept, hopefully allowing for plenty of time to adjust the Gilly III's course to manage a Gilly intercept before I need to worry about take control of Duna Base I for the landing protocol. I was pretty fortunate on the launch window of the Gilly III, as twelve minutes of solid burn was able to get me the incercept course. That also marks the fastest I've ever been able to get an intercept.

Spoiler: purty pikchure
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

Today I successfully completed my Minmus training mission!

Spoiler
    Show

I also managed to go into Solar Space with it and return! I wonder if there's something wrong with my Deadly re-entry though. I came very hot and yet barely used any of the ablative shielding. I even have it set to 'hard'! Surely Mun and Kerbol return missions should be harder than that?

Turned out three of the kerbals hadn't been to the Mun's sphere of influence, so this poorly conceived idea was a way to send those three plus a pilot:
    Spoiler
    Show

The rocket broke in half repeatedly at about 20k metres. Remarkably at the octuple-strutted middle of the orange tanks! Luckily I could fly the orbiter it in for a landing each time. Looks pretty though!

So I built a conventional pod for Munar orbit and return. Raised an eyebrow slightly when the centre pod chute detonated before anything else including the un-heatshielded fuel tank, luckily I had four more reserve chutes. But they weren't quite enough and as I got a little distracted during re-entry my pod came in at 8.5m/s for a hard landing. If I'd been paying attention I could have fired the engine for a soft touch down, but at least my kerbals walked away from it.

So I now have two pilots, two engineers and two scientists all at level 3!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2015-02-13 at 02:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    I also managed to go into Solar Space with it and return! I wonder if there's something wrong with my Deadly re-entry though. I came very hot and yet barely used any of the ablative shielding. I even have it set to 'hard'! Surely Mun and Kerbol return missions should be harder than that?
    How hot you get on the way down really depends more on the angle you hit the atmosphere than the speed you're travelling. Try sending your return capsule on a direct collision course with Kerbin and I'm sure you'll find the re-entry every bit as deadly as you're expecting it to be!

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Default IRe: Kerbals in Spaaaaace!

I tend to aim for a periapsis of 35-38km, that could be why!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    How hot you get on the way down really depends more on the angle you hit the atmosphere than the speed you're travelling. Try sending your return capsule on a direct collision course with Kerbin and I'm sure you'll find the re-entry every bit as deadly as you're expecting it to be!
    Why is this? Like, assuming you're moving 2,500m/s at 35km above sea level, isn't the same amount and concentration of gas there regardless of your angle, which is being pushed away at incredibly high speeds, thus making intense heat?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #577
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Why is this? Like, assuming you're moving 2,500m/s at 35km above sea level, isn't the same amount and concentration of gas there regardless of your angle, which is being pushed away at incredibly high speeds, thus making intense heat?
    yes, but your low approach angle means it gets thicker, slower, and you effectively increase the "depth" of the atmosphere you travel though, so you slow down over a longer period, and thus have a lower "peak" temp.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

8. - Top - End - #578

BlackDragon

Yeah, what Storm Bringer said. If you're descending vertically through the atmosphere and you're 35km up at 2,500m/s, you will very rapidly get into the thicker part of the atmosphere and cause the compression heating to go through the roof--not to mention that you'd need to decelerate at around 9g in order to come to a rest at ground level. If you're going nearly sideways you can decelerate slower and stay in the thinner part of the atmosphere for longer.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Barbarian in the Playground

It might be an issue with DRE itself since i lose no ablative shielding at all doing reentries in Real Solar System. You should definitely lose ablative shielding even with a shallow reentry (you should always do shallow reentries anyway to minimize g forces) coming from Minmus on hard settings.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

So apparently I've just about maxed out the tech tree! I only have a couple more 1000 tier researches left!

I've had quite a few successful launches to Minmus now. Next on the list is a trip to Duna/Ike! Except apparently my best launch window for four game years is like RIGHT NOW. About 1800dv for transfer and insertion burns. Now I just need to get exit angles and life support for a years-long trips figured out.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, so a lot of preparation work for my kerballed mission to Duna! First I had to replace my long-range relay sats with their pathetically tiny solar panels with some capable of covering the entire inner solar system. That was done in one launch for about 35k funds and the sats arranged themselves using onboard RCS.

Next up was to establish comms around Duna and Ike. So that's six sats, three for Ike, three for Duna, three of which have long-range dishes and all of which have the the best omnis funds can buy, so they should be able to talk to each other from Ike-Duna without dishes. This mission was launched on a fast 1300dv transfer burn so as to arrive there well before my kerballed mission which is going to be heavier and needs to be more careful with its dv.

The mission requirements:

1). Launch pretty much immediately. Dv costs are going up rapidly.

2) dv requirements:
    • Launch to LKO: approx 3500dv.
    • Transfer to Duna. Flight time approx 260 days, dv requirement approx 2000 plus 10% margin = 2200dv.
    • Land on Duna (0dv) and rendezvous (approx 1500dv)
    • Land on Ike (approx 1000dv from LDO) and rendezvous (approx 750 dv to Ike orbit over Duna).
    • Transfer to Kerbin (no good window) in aerobraking 2200dv and flight time 260 days.

Total DV required: 11150. Not all of that needs to be the same craft though, I can separate for landing.

Other mission requirements:
    Orbit Duna. Science from Duna orbit. Land on Duna. Science from Duna. (combined lander/re-entry vehicle)
    Multiple science packages above Duna.
    Orbit Ike. Science from Ike orbit. Land on Ike. Science from Ike. (smaller lander)
    Station with docking port, Antenna, Power and at least 5 kerbals to Duna.
    Temperature scans of Ike. (mini-sat hitchhiker?)
    Surface scans of Ike. (multiple science packages - two locatons. Extra dv?)
    Two place satellite contracts. (micro-sats?)

Life support requirements: 520, call it 600 days for safety.

That's a pretty epic mission package!

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, the preparations for the Duna mission continue! Some pics from the launch pad:

Spoiler: Duna Service Module
    Show

Tallest rocket I've ever launched! Luckily the mk2 cargo bays are quite rigid. Just enough space to fit in an Ike lander and two remote sats. Also contains the main solar arrays and the expedition's primary RCS tankage and all the life support supplies for the mission. And a mobile lab for good measure. I'll be sending six kerbals, so Jeb is currently sitting on more than 5000 days of life support!

Spoiler: Duna Fuel Module
    Show

Two of these! An orange tank and a half to LKO plus docking attachments. The first stage boosters are rescaled S-1Bs to give enough boost. Then a poodle engine to position in accurate LKO. The first one ran out of power before it could dock, but I did manage to align it north before that happened. The second version included a solar pannel and docked successfully:

Spoiler: Fuel Module in orbit
    Show

Spoiler: Docked Fuel Modules.
    Show

Unfortunately the were orbiting about 120' behind the service module and exhausted their RCS catching up. The service module piloted by Jeb from the Ike lander completed the docking manoeuvre:

Spoiler: Docked Service Module and Fuel Modules
    Show

And so just one more launch to make:
    Spoiler: Duna Command Module/Lander
    Show

This contains the engines and attaches to the front of the service module. It'll also be ferrying Bill, Bob, Merfield, and two others who I forget the names of to the mothership. Merfield's the pilot on this one.

Probably a little under-engined, so it may take several burns on successive orbits to complete the transfer burn!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2015-02-24 at 05:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just wanted to dish out a round of Kudos on your space program so that you don't feel you're posting into the void. Well done!
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

14. - Top - End - #584

BlackDragon

Wow, that is one long spaceship when it's fully assembled, I dread to think how much it'll wobble once you throttle up for the first time!

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the kudos!

And hopefully not too much! It's a puller design, so the engines will be on the nose. It's a stable configuration.

Additionally, three lv909s are relatively few for a craft of this size. I expect the burn(s) will take a while. The fuel modules function as drop tanks when empty. Just detach the rearmost!

This is a major milestone for my space program, made all the more tricky by the rapidly diminishing launch window!

Technically I could use nuclear or ion engines, but I feel that would be cheating if I haven't even gone interplanetary once without them.

16. - Top - End - #586

BlackDragon

I wouldn't say using nuclear or ion engines is really cheating--you pay for the extra efficiency with woefully low thrust (and, in the case of the nuclear engine, a fair bit of extra mass). It tends to change how you look at doing manoeuvres when you know it's going to take a solid hour to complete one even with 4x physical time acceleration on!

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Slight necro, but I'm back into Kerbal in a big way and there's no newer thread...

After restarting career mode for 1.04 after a long hiatus, I've just designed and flown my first SSTO Spaceplane to orbit and back! No useful payload yet. But now that I've managed it once...

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

After having gotten a new computer last week I've been working my way back into this myself now that I can play it lag free. Apparently I haven't played since atmospheric heating was implemented. My steering wings exploded on escape, the rest of my ship exploded on re-entry. Was a very Kerbal 2nd mission. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

I really should get around to playing a bit of KSP again. I too haven't played for a long, long time: last I played, the only game mode was sandbox
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

It's changed a fair bit! The aerodynamic and heating models have got much more sophisticated. You can actually burn up now. On ascent if you're not careful!

Some of the things I've been up to:

Spaceplane:
    Spoiler: Whiplash 1, Low-tech spaceplane
    Show

Low-altitude global coverage satellite constelation for DP-10 probe reception (Remote Tech 2) (18 sats in 3 planes, 180km altitude 89.5deg inclination, planes 63deg wrt each other) and equatorial 3-sat Communotron-16 relays at 700km altitude.
    Spoiler: Sat constellations
    Show

Note: There's currently a bug where anything in a perfectly polar orbit explodes over the south pole. An inclination of 89.5deg is safe. 90deg is asking to be devoured by the kraken. (South-Pole Sarlacc?)
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2015-10-02 at 02:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I really should get around to playing a bit of KSP again. I too haven't played for a long, long time: last I played, the only game mode was sandbox
    There's now 3 game modes (without mods) and at least 1 multiplayer mod (which I need to try and get working again on my compy, battle rovers was hilariously fun).

It's changed a fair bit! The aerodynamic and heating models have got much more sophisticated. You can actually burn up now. On ascent if you're not careful!

Some of the things I've been up to:

Spaceplane:
    Spoiler: Whiplash 1, Low-tech spaceplane
    Show

Low-altitude global coverage satellite constelation for DP-10 probe reception (Remote Tech 2) (18 sats in 3 planes, 180km altitude 89.5deg inclination, planes 63deg wrt each other) and equatorial 3-sat Communotron-16 relays at 700km altitude.
    Spoiler: Sat constellations
    Show

Note: There's currently a bug where anything in a perfectly polar orbit explodes over the south pole. An inclination of 89.5deg is safe. 90deg is asking to be devoured by the kraken. (South-Pole Sarlacc?)
    Very nice! Once I figure out how to exit the atmosphere without exploding/losing bits, I'll have to see about finally getting around to a round trip munar expedition. So far my munar surface contacts have been: 1. @ 560m/s and 2. command module intact, engine + fuel exploded on landing ><
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Exit without losing bits?! Is it a loss of control, or bits overheating?

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Exit without losing bits?! Is it a loss of control, or bits overheating?
    Overheating and then boom. Apparently 1 of the tall solid state rockets + command capsule = too fast for wings to survive XD

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Might want to engage the thrust limiter on that then.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Might want to engage the thrust limiter on that then.
    Didn't know that was a thing, will be looking into that next time I play.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Didn't know that was a thing, will be looking into that next time I play.
    Right click the booster in the VAB.

I actually use that to psudo-asparagus SRBs when I need a lot more TWR to get off the ground. 2 boosters at 100%, 2 boosters at 50%, and 2 boosters at 33.5%, with independant decouplers so I can drop the SRB pairs as they empty.

27. - Top - End - #597

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Very nice! Once I figure out how to exit the atmosphere without exploding/losing bits, I'll have to see about finally getting around to a round trip munar expedition. So far my munar surface contacts have been: 1. @ 560m/s and 2. command module intact, engine + fuel exploded on landing ><
    Try going to Minmus first. It will take more fuel to get there (especially since you have to align your orbital plane, which you don't have to do when going to the Mun), but you'll use so much less fuel landing and taking off in Minmus' light gravity* that it more than compensates for that; plus, there are those handy-dandy blue "seas" which are flat and at 0m altitude, so they're absolutely perfect for practicing your landings. Once you've got that down pat, then you should have a much better chance at doing the Mun.

* It's actually possible to land on Minmus and get back into orbit with a Kerbal's space suit manoeuvring pack--that gives you an idea how little delta-V is needed to do it!

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    I actually use that to psudo-asparagus SRBs when I need a lot more TWR to get off the ground. 2 boosters at 100%, 2 boosters at 50%, and 2 boosters at 33.5%, with independant decouplers so I can drop the SRB pairs as they empty.
    I'll have to try this sometime, usually my response to needing more TWR is MORE SRBs! (and struts, can't forget the struts)

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Try going to Minmus first. It will take more fuel to get there (especially since you have to align your orbital plane, which you don't have to do when going to the Mun), but you'll use so much less fuel landing and taking off in Minmus' light gravity* that it more than compensates for that; plus, there are those handy-dandy blue "seas" which are flat and at 0m altitude, so they're absolutely perfect for practicing your landings. Once you've got that down pat, then you should have a much better chance at doing the Mun.
    This could be quite the feat for me, took 8+ kerbins stranded orbiting the sun before I figured out how to reliably get into munar orbit. And now with this whole atmospheric friction/heating nonsense, I'm having to relearn just getting into orbit in one piece XD

29. - Top - End - #599

Guess I should start this up again, sometime. I never quite learned how to reliably get into orbit before heating and atmosphere, (about 70% or so, with a good rocket?), but I did manage a munar return trip. And a landing on "Mars", whatever it was called, but never a return from there.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

I've done a Jool 5 challange mission, landing on all 5 moons in one mission and returning to kerbin, but I've never landed and returned from Duna.